Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I hope he's only here as a backup. Not good enough on the ball, for me personally, to start every game.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
It started already! He hasn't even touched a ball yet :lol:
I mean... I haven't seen anything over the summer to change my mind :lol:

I have absolutely nothing against him at all. I just think we can find better suited centre backs than him.

Bwuk

Our best defender, feck off all haters.
I would of thought the World Cup this summer would of shown people how valuable it is to have a CB who can pass the ball.

None of the teams in the semis have a poor on the ball starting CB.

If Smalling continues to be a starter next season we’ll see much of the same struggle to get the ball played in between midfield lines.

He should be back up at a club like ours.

ti vu

The semi also showed the teams that can defend when being pushed back, got to the final.

Smalling has flaw but until we can find the solution, we just don't fix what's not broken.

Bwuk

The semi also showed the teams that can defend when being pushed back, got to the final.

Smalling has flaw but until we can find the solution, we just don't fix what's not broken.
Croatia had Lovren and Vida who were quick to get the ball forward and recycle possession when Croatia were on top and helped maintain the tempo and pressure.

Maguire, Stones and Walker are all very good on the ball, Stones and Maguire were outstanding in the tournament.

Varane, Umtiti, Alderweireld, Kompany and Vertonghen are so far ahead of Smalling it’s not even funny.

Smalling would of been perfect in the late 80s, early 90s as a defender.

ti vu

Croatia had Lovren and Vida who were quick to get the ball forward and recycle possession when Croatia were on top and helped maintain the tempo and pressure.

Maguire, Stones and Walker are all very good on the ball, Stones and Maguire were outstanding in the tournament.

Varane, Umtiti, Alderweireld, Kompany and Vertonghen are so far ahead of Smalling it’s not even funny.

Smalling would of been perfect in the late 80s, early 90s as a defender.
What about when England had to defend? They couldn't protect their lead with the defenders itself made mistake. And the passing game didn't exist. Croatia didn't fare better with their passing game when being put under pressure. It's the whole team and especially the midfielders that help control the game and brought other into game.

Varane is hand down being the best CB in the tournament doesn't mean France has been always playing well when it comes to possession. They was erratic vs Australia and needed individual creative spark to win it. Peru got back in second half of their second group stage game. It's the ability to defend that see them through than they could shut Peru down with possession. Denmark game was real bore. Argentine had upper hand when it comes to possession. Only Uruquay game is one they could boast about keeping thing ticking about their possession. Belgium is the team with more possession in the semi final. Guess what France defending well is what matters. The only goal came from a corner when Toby didn't mark Umtiti tightly and Fellaini couldn't spot the danger quicker. Belgium didn't create much. Belgium had same problem vs Panama in first half and Japan. For all their possession, it's not necessarily useful. Their easier game comes when the other side doesn't take defending serious.

Moral of the story: Unless you can beat the other team in possession game, then at least having a plan B. One half of football and beating supposed weaker opponents doesn't make a strong team. Improve on what we have instead of exchanging for a different problem

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Here's to another good season for Smalling the lovable beast.

yardieUnited

29 years old and still doesnt know how to be in line, stills drops behind cb partner and make opponents onside.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I really hope he’s nowhere near the starting 11. Otherwise it’s another season of disappointment and finishing behind both city and Liverpool is simply not acceptable.

Andersons Dietician

I really hope he’s nowhere near the starting 11. Otherwise it’s another season of disappointment and finishing behind both city and Liverpool is simply not acceptable.
Ummmmm who would we start instead? The ever reliable Jones or Rojo? I’m all for giving Lindelof and Bailly another crack but the fact remains based on last season Smalling was the best CB we had.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Ummmmm who would we start instead? The ever reliable Jones or Rojo? I’m all for giving Lindelof and Bailly another crack but the fact remains based on last season Smalling was the best CB we had.
Hopefully a new signing next to Bailly but as you say the rest are much the same.

Johan07

We dont need a "ballplaying CB" as long as Mourinho is manager. We will play with an extremely low and tight back-four again this year. We will not be playing "between the lines" from the CB-position. The DMs will be responsible for circulating the play in the second phase. As Mourinho always plays. I dont get why people think that getting new players will change the way that Mourinho always has played. I really dont get it.

We will again invite a lot of crosses and shots from outside and truth to be told; playing like that Smalling is one of the best defenders in the PL. In Mourinhos system.

Smalling would of course never get near a Guardiola-team. On the other hand Laporte or Stones would not get near a Mourinho-team either.

And to be clear: I dont like the way Mourinho sets up his teams. I would like another manager long term. But now he is the manager and as long as he stays he needs to be allowed play the way that has brought him success. Which means that Smalling plays. And especially if Fred gets playing time. Fred at 169 cm will severely diminish our defensive block in the air. No way that Mourinho leaves Smalling out of the team then.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
We dont need a "ballplaying CB" as long as Mourinho is manager. We will play with an extremely low and tight back-four again this year. We will not be playing "between the lines" from the CB-position. The DMs will be responsible for circulating the play in the second phase. As Mourinho always plays. I dont get why people think that getting new players will change the way that Mourinho always has played. I really dont get it.

We will again invite a lot of crosses and shots from outside and truth to be told; playing like that Smalling is one of the best defenders in the PL. In Mourinhos system.

Smalling would of course never get near a Guardiola-team. On the other hand Laporte or Stones would not get near a Mourinho-team either.

And to be clear: I dont like the way Mourinho sets up his teams. I would like another manager long term. But now he is the manager and as long as he stays he needs to be allowed play the way that has brought him success. Which means that Smalling plays. And especially if Fred gets playing time. Fred at 169 cm will severely diminish our defensive block in the air. No way that Mourinho leaves Smalling out of the team then.
But Mourinho has always played with centrebacks that is great with the ball. He has also relied heavily on their ability to play out from the back in an efficient manner. Terry, Carvalho, Lucio, Samuel, Ramos and Varane ie.!

In my opinion, the quality these players provided ensured that he never had to create a system on how the players should play out from the back. The individual quality of the players would take care of it.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
29 years old and still doesnt know how to be in line, stills drops behind cb partner and make opponents onside.
Where do you get this from? Someone has to decide when to drop off and when to push on. You will simply never get to see a perfectly synchronised defence. But stability in partnerships and tactical understanding helps. Smalling appears to literally be leading the line in our team so of course you'll see him drop behind the line before the rest. Also, if someone tries to beat the offside trap, its good to have people with the recovering sense that Smalling has.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Honestly, I think he'd be a good partner for Maguire if we got him. A bit like our 15/16 partnership of Smalling and Blind in which I thought they were our best CB combination since Rio and Vidic. I do think he's better off being paired with a more ball playing CB instead of someone like Jones because it really hinders our build-up play and composure at the back otherwise.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He had a decent season last year.

Have no problem with him. Sometimes has shockers but you can say that of all our defenders and we have had a decent defensive record over the last years .
He just has these completely brainless moments and is far too shite on the ball.

Johan07

But Mourinho has always played with centrebacks that is great with the ball. He has also relied heavily on their ability to play out from the back in an efficient manner. Terry, Carvalho, Lucio, Samuel, Ramos and Varane ie.!

In my opinion, the quality these players provided ensured that he never had to create a system on how the players should play out from the back. The individual quality of the players would take care of it.
I agree that Mourinho has presided over some teams that has had great defenders. Some of them have been good on the ball as well.

I disagree if you are making the argument that any Mourinho team has pushed up the CMs between the lines and tried to create numerical advantages and find passing triangles as a way of building up play from the CBs by passing between the lines. Not even Mourinhos great team at Real played like that. It has always been the CBs responsibility to get the ball to "first station" (as Mourinho likes to call the CMs) and start circulating play from there. It has more to do with Mourinho not ever, ever wanting to have less than five players behind the ball in possession in case of a turnover. And this is not me being negative towards him or his tactics; its what makes Mourinhos teams great defensively.

And to be honest: with our current squad which has been assembled to play this way it would be football suicide to try to play in a different way. Getting turnovers against us high up the field with only Matic Jones and Smalling defending it for example; that I dont want to see. Ever. Not that I think Mourinho would ever consider playing like that.

I dont see him turning away from this. Or other key parts of his game; for example having the back four sittng so low and narrow that if the opposition pushes their fullbacks forward the wingers will have to cover the channels and essentially making us defend as 6-3-1. He didnt change that for Ronaldo or Hazard (except for playing them as CFs instead), and he wont now.

Again: not criticism. It can work and even be attractive if the transition game is spot on. It hasnt really been for Mourinhos United so far, which is probably what I am most surprised about. Not expecting any dramatic change to the football itself though tactically. But thats just my 5 cents......

Reactions: sizzling sausages

Andersons Dietician

I agree that Mourinho has presided over some teams that has had great defenders. Some of them have been good on the ball as well.

I disagree if you are making the argument that any Mourinho team has pushed up the CMs between the lines and tried to create numerical advantages and find passing triangles as a way of building up play from the CBs by passing between the lines. Not even Mourinhos great team at Real played like that. It has always been the CBs responsibility to get the ball to "first station" (as Mourinho likes to call the CMs) and start circulating play from there. It has more to do with Mourinho not ever, ever wanting to have less than five players behind the ball in possession in case of a turnover. And this is not me being negative towards him or his tactics; its what makes Mourinhos teams great defensively.

And to be honest: with our current squad which has been assembled to play this way it would be football suicide to try to play in a different way. Getting turnovers against us high up the field with only Matic Jones and Smalling defending it for example; that I dont want to see. Ever. Not that I think Mourinho would ever consider playing like that.

I dont see him turning away from this. Or other key parts of his game; for example having the back four sittng so low and narrow that if the opposition pushes their fullbacks forward the wingers will have to cover the channels and essentially making us defend as 6-3-1. He didnt change that for Ronaldo or Hazard (except for playing them as CFs instead), and he wont now.

Again: not criticism. It can work and even be attractive if the transition game is spot on. It hasnt really been for Mourinhos United so far, which is probably what I am most surprised about. Not expecting any dramatic change to the football itself though tactically. But thats just my 5 cents......
Good post. Agree with pretty much everything you’ve said there.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

I disagree if you are making the argument that any Mourinho team has pushed up the CMs between the lines and tried to create numerical advantages and find passing triangles as a way of building up play from the CBs by passing between the lines.
Not even Mourinhos great team at Real played like that. It has always been the CBs responsibility to get the ball to "first station" (as Mourinho likes to call the CMs) and start circulating play from there. It has more to do with Mourinho not ever, ever wanting to have less than five players behind the ball in possession in case of a turnover. And this is not me being negative towards him or his tactics; its what makes Mourinhos teams great defensively.

I have not made that argument. However, Mourinho have had CBs able to deal with high pressing teams without just clearing/hoofing the bal, but being able to play a constructive pass forward once in a while. They did certainly not try to create triangles, but they were able to find a player (often the centre forward) on the other half of the pitch and do it with precision. Terry and Carvalho did not always pass the ball to Mikel/Makelele. He has always appreciated players able to bring the ball forward quickly.

Being able to play a pass more than 10 meters in lenght direction will not entail risk of losing balance.

Moiraine

I wonder what he would be worth in the current market. If we had to buy him on his current form and ability.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Thought he reached levels of Van Gaal era in terms of his defending last season tbh, I hope it continues. Made to look worse by his partners; Lindelof, Jones and even Bailly looked poor at times.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Thought he reached levels of Van Gaal era in terms of his defending last season tbh, I hope it continues. Made to look worse by his partners; Lindelof, Jones and even Bailly looked poor at times.
How is that even possible???

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He can go a whole game defending solidly until moments like this occur which cost us games and it's the whole defence that gets slaughtered. Out of his control.

Even the FA Cup Final, Smalling was fantastic and Phil Jones did his thing.
He could've done better there tbf and it's not as if he's had moments like that himself. That's not even mentioning the grabbing etc. He would have been mullered in Russia.

Andersons Dietician

He could've done better there tbf and it's not as if he's had moments like that himself. That's not even mentioning the grabbing etc. He would have been mullered in Russia.
Going by the standard of defending and what people got away with no, no he wouldn’t have. It’s also the laziest cliche around for Smalling. His shirt holding isn’t even that bad. Just another thing blown out of proportion so people have a stick to whip out to defend their statements.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Going by the standard of defending and what people got away with no, no he wouldn’t have. It’s also the laziest cliche around for Smalling. His shirt holding isn’t even that bad. Just another thing blown out of proportion so people have a stick to whip out to defend their statements.
Wow, you really think so?? Ok then.

Andersons Dietician

Wow, you really think so?? Ok then.
Yes it’s up there with combining coke and pop rocks leads to death. It’s becoming really boring. Of course there are times he does tug a shirt but show me one defender that doesn’t. They all do it. He’s no where near as bad as people make out. I’m actually struggiling to recall any serious pulls from last season. Sure there is probably 1 or 2. Anyone able to point me in the direction of where he was punished for shirt pulling over the last year maybe 3 even.

I can picture one where he was absolutely done by someone and he tugged him back but it was only a free kick and a yellow. Can’t recall what game it was.

SteveW

The old "some day he'll give away a penalty" stuff. People are willing to beat him over things that haven't even happened.

It's a substance v style issue. He plays well but doesn't look good doing it. That's problematic when your supporters have been raised on Best, Cantona and Ronaldo.

People always tend to slate players who they don't enjoy watching. We all have players we just don't like. Smalling seems to be that player for a lot of supporters.

It doesn't change the fact that he's been our most effective defender for a few seasons now.

He also makes his partners look worse. He's a fairly passive player and often very unaware of positioning and what's going on around him.

Andersons Dietician

He also makes his partners look worse. He's a fairly passive player and often very unaware of positioning and what's going on around him.
Don’t see that at all, and when combined with Blind for example he was fantastic at knowing what Blind needed and when, he;d position himself perfectly for people Blind wasn’t going to beat in the air but would do enough to make it difficult and Smalling would clear it up.

He also dove tails well with Bailly as he although wanting to be quite aggressive himself is aware enough to know if Bailly fluffs it he is there to cover, that is good defensive play. It also can’t help that Jones, Rojo and Bailly are all so unpredictable not to mention changing partners all the time. For me Bailly, Rojo and Jones make themselves worse but Smalling is one of those people fans are just never going to agree on. You either appreciate what he does or you don’t.

Ekeke

Few compared to our other CBs. Every CB makes a mistake now and again, even Vidic and Rio. But the gap between them is whats different. Smalling plays lots of games and might make a mistake or two, whereas our other CBs play fewer games and make more.

Status
Not open for further replies.