Chris Smalling England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
1-800-273-8255, for all you smalling fangirls
:lol::lol: The saltiness will be strong amongst the Chuckle Brothers lovers amongst us. Can't wait to see him holding that Roma shirt with a forced smile.

romufc

Against people trying to win the ball, sure
So you implying the defenders go out there and try not to win the ball?

Everyone makes mistakes, just because there is an agenda against Lindelof from some fans like you.

Sylar

Shorter guys beat taller guys on headers a lot, especially if the shorter guy has a running start.

romufc

Not defenders. Just Lindelof in that jump
So we should drop him right? get smalling in. Then when smalling fecks up by not passing straight get rid of him and bring Lindelof back because he is a better pass?

Ekeke

So we should drop him right? get smalling in. Then when smalling fecks up by not passing straight get rid of him and bring Lindelof back because he is a better pass?
If that pass leads to a goal like Lindelof's defensive mistake, maybe. I can't remember a time in his United career where his pass did actually cost us a goal though. I'm not saying its never happened, but if it did it was a long time ago. But unless someone can remind me I don't think thats the case. Smalling played a simple passing game and didnt give the ball away much, unlike someone like Rojo who was more carefree with his passes and often gave it away in dangerous areas.

WannaBeSakka

Was our best pure defender before Maguire came. The only thing that Smalling can truly be faulted for is his ability on the ball which is quite important. Looking at what he brings to the team, the aerial presence in defense, arguably our quickest center back, and arguably a better tackler than the others we had before Maguire.

I'd say we just let our second best defender off on loan, just a matter of time before Lindelof gets found out as he's not good at anything other than passes, a defender has got to defend sometimes.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If that pass leads to a goal like Lindelof's defensive mistake, maybe. I can't remember a time in his United career where his pass did actually cost us a goal though. I'm not saying its never happened, but if it did it was a long time ago. But unless someone can remind me I don't think thats the case. Smalling played a simple passing game and didnt give the ball away much, unlike someone like Rojo who was more carefree with his passes and often gave it away in dangerous areas.
I've often wondered this myself. I feel like that never happened once with him, yet there seems to be the main reason for people not rating him. Costing us goals, making mistakes due to his poor technique on the ball. I've only seen a solid, safe defender unimaginative on the ball, but aware of his limitations and reducing risk to the minimal. I can't remember to actually have seen him give the ball away after being pressured and to then concede a goal. However I have this picture of Rojo panicking just passing the ball right into a pressing player, also just aimlessly hoofing the ball way before anyone gets near him. I swear people mix up their defenders a lot watching us.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Smalling shouldn't be out the door, Lindelof & Maguire are out best partnership, backups are Smalling and Tuanzabe as far as I am concerned, he has shown a higher ceiling than Rojo, Bailly and Jones and I understand some state other clubs may be not be interested in Rojo, Jones or Bailly, which I understand but getting rid of Smalling just to save wages means we are trying to save money rather than get rid of the deadwood as for the moment at least, Smalling isn't deadwood. I'm not deadset against it but would opt against if given the choice personally

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
How are those who rate him as our second best defender feeling about this? :lol:
Probably not as exited as the Lindelof fans, who knows he'll get a free ride unless Tuanzebe manages to level up on him. Probably the most exited would be the Jones fans, or Rojo fans who'll see them play more minutes than ever before! Happy times

edcunited1878

Smalling shouldn't be out the door, Lindelof & Maguire are out best partnership, backups are Smalling and Tuanzabe as far as I am concerned, he has shown a higher ceiling than Rojo, Bailly and Jones and I understand some state other clubs may be not be interested in Rojo, Jones or Bailly, which I understand but getting rid of Smalling just to save wages means we are trying to save money rather than get rid of the deadwood as for the moment at least, Smalling isn't deadwood. I'm not deadset against it but would opt against if given the choice personally
I think Smalling is out the door because he wants to play and he has value to another club. Rojo, Jones and Bailly don't have the same ambition to play or value to another club.

A-man

One big reason is that Smalling is a much better CB and therefore much more attractive to other clubs than Rojo, Jones and Bailly. Another reason is probably that Ole doesn't think he fits the kind of team he is trying to build up. Instead he prefers Maguire, Lindelof and Tuanzebe. Possibly also Jones considering he got a new contract.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think Smalling is out the door because he wants to play and he has value to another club. Rojo, Jones and Bailly don't have the same ambition to play or value to another club.
So we have 'higher ambitions' than Chris, and put our trust in those who don't have any ambition or value to any team. Seems like something to be very happy about. I think we should be very careful with what we wish for. Next season we will have to buy like 10-12 players and get rid of the rest for a lot of this to make sense. When we do, hopefully we wont make the mistake of signing on players that are not good enough or on big wages.

A-man

Could also be a reason. Smalling is entering his best years and don't want to waste them on the bench or in cup matches. I think it was a good decision and am glad for him.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
One big reason is that Smalling is a much better CB and therefore much more attractive to other clubs than Rojo, Jones and Bailly. Another reason is probably that Ole doesn't think he fits the kind of team he is trying to build up. Instead he prefers Maguire, Lindelof and Tuanzebe. Possibly also Jones considering he got a new contract.
I understand both of these replies to be honest, it's not the end of the world and I can understand he is not of the ball playing ilk and if we are giving the manager faith (which we need to), then we need to allow this, would prefer it was a loan with no fee set though incase Solskjaer doesn't work out

edcunited1878

Bailly is out injured for the next 4 months and is completely unsalable in that condition.
Obviously, but that just decreases his value and further emphasizes his injury red flag status. He cannot be relied upon to be fit for the majority of a season, same with Jones.

And on the flip side, shows the value Smalling had in the United squad even as a 3rd/4th CB. Until Axel gets a run of matches against any PL side, he shouldn't be considered better than Smalling. United have two clear first choice CBs, awesome. But then it goes down a steep hill in terms of quality, reliability and experience.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
It answers the question after all these years of who would want Smalling if we got rid. Leaving 1 6th placed team for Serie A's version. Turns out it wasnt a midtable or bottom half of the league team after all. It was the same club that Kolarov, Dzeko and Pastore ended up at.

He should be good for pairing with Mancini who has potential.

Fazio and Jesus played their first game of the season and Roma conceded 3 goals to Genoa

Hopefully Tuanzabe can step up and show this isnt a mistake.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Obviously, but that just decreases his value and further emphasizes his injury red flag status. He cannot be relied upon to be fit for the majority of a season, same with Jones.

And on the flip side, shows the value Smalling had in the United squad even as a 3rd/4th CB. Until Axel gets a run of matches against any PL side, he shouldn't be considered better than Smalling. United have two clear first choice CBs, awesome. But then it goes down a steep hill in terms of quality, reliability and experience.
Sure but it's unfair to claim he has little ambition to play. One can levy that accusation at a few of our players (Rojo and Darmian especially) but Bailly isn't one of them. He was clearly in Ole's plans, or at least the shop window, during preseason until his latest injury. Unless he's some sort of sadist who intentionally injures himself so he doesn't have to even train, that is.

I don't think Chris added much value to the squad anymore. With VAR afoot he carried more potential liability than anyone else and for the strengths he did possesses we were always moments away from calamity in our back line. I hope he enjoys his time in Italy and is successful there.

Robbie Boy

Probably not as exited as the Lindelof fans, who knows he'll get a free ride unless Tuanzebe manages to level up on him. Probably the most exited would be the Jones fans, or Rojo fans who'll see them play more minutes than ever before! Happy times
Better than the free pass Smalling has gotten for years now by virtue of being slightly better than our other hideously bad CB’s. Now to move on Rojo next and Jones after that. It will be a glorious day when I know I’ll never have to see Rojo, Smalling or Jones play for us again, ever!

I understand both of these replies to be honest, it's not the end of the world and I can understand he is not of the ball playing ilk and if we are giving the manager faith (which we need to), then we need to allow this, would prefer it was a loan with no fee set though incase Solskjaer doesn't work out
I suggest we have spent all summer trying to get rid of the likes of Rojo and Darmian (would have tried to flog Bailly if he wasn’t injured) - and unfortunately could get any takers. Someone had to go, and Smalling (being a good player), was clearly more in demand.

Kostov

He's a better option that Jones and Rojo, and the thing that most bothers me that they are still here. Chris should have been last to leave from that trio but on the other hand it give me hope that those 2 will leave in January as well.

Ekeke

Better than the free pass Smalling has gotten for years now by virtue of being slightly better than our other hideously bad CB’s. Now to move on Rojo next and Jones after that. It will be a glorious day when I know I’ll never have to see Rojo, Smalling or Jones play for us again, ever!
Enjoy seeing Lindelof missing headers like last week. While you give him that free pass

Chairman Steve

I’d have kept him ahead of Jones and Rojo, but maybe he wants starting opportunities and that’s why he’s going.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
It wasnt a mistake for the shorter guy to easily beat him in the air with Lindelof putting no effort into it?
Funny enough, Lindelof should have fallen off earlier and avoided that duel. The ball was played over him, making him back track (run backwards) and then jump. «The shorter guy», on the other hand, could attack the ball. Very few players, if any, can win that duel approaching it like that. If it had been Smalling ypur probably would have realized. Or you would have blamed Maguire instead.

But since it was Lindelof, who you prefer to attack, and not Smalling who you never fault for anything, it is impossible for you to see. The same way you refuse to understand stats.

A-man

Enjoy seeing Lindelof missing headers like last week. While you give him that free pass
I can understand some kind of bitterness if a favourite player is not wanted at United anymore. But I don't get the hate you have for Lindelof. It is very strange to me.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Some sense. Ole has so much things to sort out right now, why put himself on relying a young CB with zero PL experience as his main back-up.

It just doesn't make sense in so many level. Unless he thinks he's a miracle worker who can turn Jones and Rojo into reliable CB that stay fit the whole season. Which is based on nothing but wishful thinking.

Oldyella

I’d have kept him ahead of Jones and Rojo, but maybe he wants starting opportunities and that’s why he’s going.
We can also only move on players others are interested in. Can't say I will be happy to see him go given our options but if that's what's going to happen that's what's going to happen.

Al-T

Whilst Smalling is a very limited player, he can, at least, defend, is less injury prone than he was, and I'd sooner have seen Jones, Rojo and Bailley out the door before him.

It probably says something that, whilst United would cheerfully have swapped Rojo and Bailley for a set of socket spanners and Villa wanted Tuanzebe to stay, the only one we've moved on is Smalling. I've given up on thinking there's any logic about Phil Jones.

haram

Looking forward to Ekeke posting Smalling’s stats every week while he plays for Roma while no one gives a feck.

Bobski

Whilst Smalling is a very limited player, he can, at least, defend, is less injury prone than he was, and I'd sooner have seen Jones, Rojo and Bailley out the door before him.

It probably says something that, whilst United would cheerfully have swapped Rojo and Bailley for a set of socket spanners and Villa wanted Tuanzebe to stay, the only one we've moved on is Smalling. I've given up on thinking there's any logic about Phil Jones.
Phil might be the type who just has one golden run in him where everything clicks for a few months(more likely minutes) and he looks fantastic.

Ekeke

I can understand some kind of bitterness if a favourite player is not wanted at United anymore. But I don't get the hate you have for Lindelof. It is very strange to me.
I dont have any. I just hate when people speak with pure hypocrisy.

Smalling is gone for the season and we'll have to make do with what we have for the forthcoming season, whether that means Lindelof improves again after a slow start like both his other seasons here (high probability), or Tuanzebe takes this chance with both hands and shows he has more to offer overall than Lindelof has. If neither happens, or we have an injury then thats when this might turn out to be a mistake.

However to make out like our most dependable CB during his time here got a free pass on any mistakes he made, the same week Lindelof made a mistake at the back would be revealing if it wasnt already known that he was talking rubbish.

More often than not Smalling was blamed for not making up for other people's mistakes - usually a RB. Or lumped in with Jones who truly does have a history of being injured too much and making costly mistakes. Smalling got fitter and was our 1 CB who didnt make mistakes often. That didn't make him an amazing player, just one we could rely on to actually defend well even when people around him didnt.

So to be clear - I don't hate Lindelof or any player. I just don't rate him as a defender above the average curve of a CB in a top 6 club. He does less defending and has less speed and strength to his game than most of them. So far I'd think of him just below Jonny Evans because Evans had a better season than Lindelof has managed so far, but obviously Evans was around longer so maybe in time he'll be the same level and have that good season. But that level isnt extremely high for a CB, its just okay and good enough to get by for a season or two but with some problems along the way.

And I believe now that the whipping boys are no longer there to be blamed, Lindelof is going to face more accountability which is what I've already insisted on giving him. Obviously its best for me to be completely wrong and Lindelof improves his speed, power, becomes a harder working CB who is solid in the air and who's comfort on the ball actually makes a difference in matches and wins us points regularly. I'd love to be wrong and laughed at if thats the case. But thus far I dont see it. If I do see the change in him that suggests to me that can happen I will point it out though.

Why is it best for me? Because I want to see the team do well and being a winning team I can be proud of. I care about that much more than whether some posters on the internet agree with me or not.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Unfortunately some posters just jump on the band wagon with stupid comments about things they probably don't really understand. Smalling is a very good defender, can, and has, scored some important goals for us, and is quicker than some give him credit for. My only gripe with him is his attempts, sometimes, to grapple with opposing players when defending a corner, or free kick in our box, he is not very subtle with that. His passing ability is not as good as Maguire or Lindelof, but it is ok. He would not have lost that header against Schlupp on Saturday. I have mentioned previously that I'm still waiting to be convinced by Lindelof, there's just something that seems to be missing, but I'm not sure what. Saying all that though, if Smalling does go out on loan I would not be too dismayed as we need to move on, and Tuanzebe looks like he could be a very good player given time.

Status
Not open for further replies.