Chris Smalling England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Rio knows a good CB.

Smalling is doing well, while Ole's 80m replacement isn't any better. That's one big slap on the face for Ole.

Still some just glad Smalling is gone though, and think it's the right decision. Just clueless.

yardieUnited

Put in a shocking performance against Sassuolo and it was clear trough the game that Sassuolo targeted him.

TheReligion

Abusive
Rio knows a good CB.

Smalling is doing well, while Ole's 80m replacement isn't any better. That's one big slap on the face for Ole.

Still some just glad Smalling is gone though, and think it's the right decision. Just clueless.
Maguire is doing better and is far superior than Smalling.

Ekeke

Put in a shocking performance against Sassuolo and it was clear trough the game that Sassuolo targeted him.
Newbies in 2020 :lol: Sometimes I think people just watch highlights, but this post suggests you didnt even do that much.

Roma's best player put in a worse performance and got sent off too.

The first goal had nothing to do with him, Caputo went past Mancini and slotted it home after Mancini and Santon played him onside.

The 2nd goal Smalling is filling in for a left back (Spinazzola) who is missing and the player passes the ball to a player making a run beyond the defender that hasnt been tracked well enough

The 3rd goal he does get drawn out towards Berardi and he plays the ball behind him for a runner who Mancini is once again playing onside. The other 3 had a good line and would have played him off. Mancini gave the ball away for the opposition attack with a loose long ball. At least this one Smalling is somewhat involved in the goal and if he had done amazingly might have been able to cut off/block Berardi's pass if he didnt hesitate to confront him. But he didnt.

Smalling set up a teammate with a header where his shot was turned onto the post, which when played back into the box led to Roma's first goal

The 4th goal has once again nothing to do with Smalling, Boga takes on Mancini on a break down the left where Mancini is covering his rightback. He backs off and Boga smashes it into the top corner.

Seeing these performances from Roma's other CB and the fullbacks just reaffirms how remarkable it is that Smalling has managed to help this team have the 5th best defensive record this season. Would have been a lot better with Wan-Bissaka next to him

TheReligion

Abusive
It is amazing how people forget how bad Smalling was at times.
He's doing well in Italy I know but yeah it's rather silly isn't it. Maguire has been doing very well for us but it seems because he cost alot of money that can't be acknowledged. One thing Ole has done well is getting the squad stripped back. Smalling wanted to be first choice and was rightly told no given we have Maguire and Lindelof so was loaned out. He might come back next season and stake a claim to Lindelof's spot (I'm not totally convinced) or return and be happy being a deputy. If not he'll be sold.

Nothing wrong with how the club has dealt with it. Getting Maguire in was more than just a centre half. He's the new captain and a real leader on the pitch. Far less erratic than Smalling and much more composure. The same happened with Evans when he was rightly sold.

A-man

Newbies in 2020 :lol: Sometimes I think people just watch highlights, but this post suggests you didnt even do that much.

The first goal had nothing to do with him, Caputo went past Mancini and slotted it home after Mancini and Santon played him onside.

The 2nd goal Smalling is filling in for a left back (Spinazzola) who is missing and the player passes the ball to a player making a run beyond the defender that hasnt been tracked well enough

The 3rd goal he does get drawn out towards Berardi and he plays the ball behind him for a runner who Mancini is once again playing onside. The other 3 had a good line and would have played him off. Mancini gave the ball away for the opposition attack with a loose long ball. At least this one Smalling is somewhat involved in the goal and if he had done amazingly might have been able to cut off/block Berardi's pass if he didnt hesitate to confront him. But he didnt.

Smalling set up a teammate with a header where his shot was turned onto the post, which when played back into the box led to Roma's first goal

The 4th goal has once again nothing to do with Smalling, Boga takes on Mancini on a break down the left where Mancini is covering his rightback. He backs off and Boga smashes it into the top corner.

Seeing these performances from Roma's other CB and the fullbacks just reaffirms how remarkable it is that Smalling has managed to help this team have the 5th best defensive record this season. Would have been a lot better with Wan-Bissaka next to him
I watched the game and think it was one of his worst Serie A games of the ones I’ve seen. Think he was involved in goal 2 and especially goal 3 and could have done better at goal 4 but that was not on him. But I agree, it often seems he is the by far most competent defender in that defence. The other ones have poor awareness and no clue how to create an offside line. It must be like playing with 3 Baillys.

arthurka

Funny how some see something totally different? I watched the game and fully agree with you.

Ekeke

I watched the game and think it was one of his worst Serie A games of the ones I’ve seen. Think he was involved in goal 2 and especially goal 3 and could have done better at goal 4 but that was not on him. But I agree, it often seems he is the by far most competent defender in that defence. The other ones have poor awareness and no clue how to create an offside line. It must be like playing with 3 Baillys.
I disagree of course, he did the right thing for goal 2 but it was similar to things he got blamed for at United. Covering your fullback is correct, but you need your teammates to see that you are covering and also cover. I'm not sure if its Spinazolla who is running back behind Djuricic and lets him get in behind and cross the ball, but if it is then hes the one Smalling is covering from leftback so the least he can do is track the runner. He doesnt.

He's obviously not going to be great every week, he's no VVD. Roma also just sent their captain Florenzi to Valencia even though he wasnt playing much. When you see a performance like that from Santon you do wonder why he wasnt.

And I still think the best idea is to use Smalling as part of a bid for one of Roma's young talents like Under, Zaniolo or Kluivert. Just seems like a good idea for Smalling himself to stay in a place where the fans appreciate him and he's playing really well. Cuz I already know that one mistake or taking 2 touches before passing the ball and we'll have the same toxic stuff said about him here. To those people it doesnt matter that he's been as good as the best Serie A CBs

Foxbatt

I agree that Smalling with Lindelof may not have been good but he has raised his game in Italy.
He should be brought back and maybe to try Lindelof as a DM. It doesn't cost us anything.

TheReligion

Abusive
Definitely, but I'd take him over every other CB we have to partner Maguire.
Yeah agreed but can fully understand why at the time we wanted to give Lindelof the nod and promote Tuanzebe. Now Smalling has done well he could come back next season and partner Maguire?

I agree that Smalling with Lindelof may not have been good but he has raised his game in Italy.
He should be brought back and maybe to try Lindelof as a DM. It doesn't cost us anything.
I dont understand why everybody always wants to try any half decent centre back in midfield? Has it ever once worked?

As for Smalling. We've long since established hes not good enough to start for us. He had 9 years to make his case after all. I'd happily have him back as a sub but hes made it clear he doesn't want that. So what's the point?

AshRK

Shhhh don't tell @Isotope though!

He thinks Maguire is no better than Gary Cahill.
People have giving some unfair criticism to Maguire but love to overrate Smalling. What's funny is when Smalling was here, almost everyone wanted him gone or be a bench player.

I thought Ekeke would give it a rest after Smalling left, obviously I was very wrong indeed. Ekeke will be defending him till he retires bless. 185 posts in here, in a season in which Smalling doesn't even play for his team, bravo my man.

AshRK

That would be disastrous.

TheReligion

Abusive
People have giving some unfair criticism to Maguire but love to overrate Smalling. What's funny is when Smalling was here, almost everyone wanted him gone or be a bench player.
Anyone with a set of eyes should be able to see that Maguire is the far superior player. The Caf is full of people who just want to stir shit at the moment despite the fact it makes them look daft as a brush.

AshRK

Anyone with a set of eyes should be able to see that Maguire is the far superior player. The Caf is full of people who just want to stir shit at the moment despite the fact it makes them look daft as a brush.
People have already called AWB, Maguire and James as deadwood. Just give another 2 months and they will do the same with Fernandes but will want Smalling and Lukaku back. I won't be surprised if people start overrating Rojo now considering he is also gone.

A-man

I disagree of course, he did the right thing for goal 2 but it was similar to things he got blamed for at United. Covering your fullback is correct, but you need your teammates to see that you are covering and also cover. I'm not sure if its Spinazolla who is running back behind Djuricic and lets him get in behind and cross the ball, but if it is then hes the one Smalling is covering from leftback so the least he can do is track the runner. He doesnt.

He's obviously not going to be great every week, he's no VVD. Roma also just sent their captain Florenzi to Valencia even though he wasnt playing much. When you see a performance like that from Santon you do wonder why he wasnt.

And I still think the best idea is to use Smalling as part of a bid for one of Roma's young talents like Under, Zaniolo or Kluivert. Just seems like a good idea for Smalling himself to stay in a place where the fans appreciate him and he's playing really well. Cuz I already know that one mistake or taking 2 touches before passing the ball and we'll have the same toxic stuff said about him here. To those people it doesnt matter that he's been as good as the best Serie A CBs
Tbh a centre back (or both) is involved somehow in most conceded goal. None of the goals was entirely his fault. The covering behind him was super poor. I think he, just like Maguire, needs someone to cover for him, so he can unleash his biggest strengths which is to attack the ball. That’s why I see Lindelof as a good partner for both him and Maguire, but don’t think Smalling and Maguire would be great together. The third goal came because Smalling went our to push, and the pass went in behind him. If you are going to take risks like that, you need to know someone is covering for you if you fail.

Ekeke

Tbh a centre back (or both) is involved somehow in most conceded goal. None of the goals was entirely his fault. The covering behind him was super poor. I think he, just like Maguire, needs someone to cover for him, so he can unleash his biggest strengths which is to attack the ball. That’s why I see Lindelof as a good partner for both him and Maguire, but don’t think Smalling and Maguire would be great together. The third goal came because Smalling went our to push, and the pass went in behind him. If you are going to take risks like that, you need to know someone is covering for you if you fail.
The 3rd, 3 defenders are aligned to play the player offside and Mancini who gave the ball away didnt bother to push up playing the player onside. He could have reacted quicker to close down, but hes not the one who gave the ball away or played the attacker onside, that was Mancini

Robbie Boy

I thought Ekeke would give it a rest after Smalling left, obviously I was very wrong indeed. Ekeke will be defending him till he retires bless. 185 posts in here, in a season in which Smalling doesn't even play for his team, bravo my man.
Mental isn't it. Yet he's often claimed he doesn't think Smalling is all that.

Ekeke

Mental isn't it. Yet he's often claimed he doesn't think Smalling is all that.
I think hes good, at his best one of the best CBs in the league - though not exactly VVD level. But I've also watched some Serie A this season and havent seen a CB outperforming him

Ekeke

Yeah I think people who think Smalling is or was better have Stockholm Syndrome or something.
I guess its just a coincidence that all the best performing CBs this season are on this list, but Maguire is nowhere to be seen. Thats convenient

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maybe if Maguire could deal with the like of Delaney first, instead of Messi, Suarez, or Hazard like Smalling had done, people may believe this allegedly "far superior" claim.

Otherwise, it's just nothing but empty talk.

Machine Elements

The only aspect Maguire is better than Smalling is his calmness on the ball. He’s not a better 1 vs 1 defender, he’s not faster, he doesn’t do as much in attack as Smalling etc. How exactly can he be “far superior” than Smalling?

Ekeke

The only aspect Maguire is better than Smalling is his calmness on the ball. He’s not a better 1 vs 1 defender, he’s not faster, he doesn’t do as much in attack as Smalling etc. How exactly can he be “far superior” than Smalling?
Well you see posters tend to have a very special way of rating CBs. There are essentially 2 questions :

1) Is the player Phil Jones?
2) Is the player Chris Smalling?

Any player with an answer of no to both questions is seen as a better CB

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Fair enough, if you think Gary Cahill level is far superior than Smalling.
Let's not going stretch to other player. Let's see what the two players has in term of quality & what they offer.

Maguire:
  1. England Current Best Centre Back quality
  2. He knows how to hold the ball when under pressure, better on the ball & more suitable to have to play from the back
  3. More composed, strong, good in the air & no acceleration
  4. Defensive impact in the team (check image below)
Smalling:
  1. Not even in England Squad quality
  2. Clueless on the ball, not good in hold the ball under pressure & not suitable to have to play from the back
  3. More aggressive, strong, good in the air & has pace/acceleration
With Maguire:

With Smalling:

Fair to say that Maguire is much the better player than Smalling and has made improvements to our defense, agree with this?

Hammondo

Let's not going stretch to other player. Let's see what the two players has in term of quality & what they offer.

Maguire:
  2. He knows how to hold the ball when under pressure, better on the ball & more suitable to have to play from the back
Smalling:
  2. Clueless on the ball, not good in hold the ball under pressure & not suitable to have to play from the back
With Maguire:

With Smalling:

Fair to say that Maguire is much the better player than Smalling and has made improvements to our defense, agree with this?
Maguire is playing with a proper right back.

Ekeke

Maguire:
Smalling:
With Maguire:

With Smalling:

Just replace the word "Maguire" with Wan-Bisakka since he's been the biggest improvement to our defense.

Theres also a full season with Ole rather than the catastrophic Mourinho season. So give 40% value to the numbers since Maguire isnt even our best new defender and then compare it to the season before last, before Mourinho destabalized his own defense for a record breaking poor defensive record.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Actually they didn't. Pretty much every time this forum did a vote on who should be our starting defenders it ended up being Smalling plus another. Most obviously hoped we could ultimately improve on him, but time after time it was proved that it was only a vocal minority who truly didn't rate him and really wanted him gone.

romufc

Ofcourse he has made improved the team. The smalling fans have forgotten the last few years with him in the team.

The fact that we have are have also conceded one of the fewest goals in the league shows this considering we have not had a proper midfield.

How many goals this season have been individual errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.