Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I sincerely hope we rarely see him all season but he's gonna end up racking up 50+ appearances I bet.
Well we'll find out today. Ole said in his last presser, that we'll get an idea of his team going forward by who plays against Chelsea. Smalling will most likely be used for cup games. He will only get games by default not through any merit on his part. I wish he'd gone to Everton as that is his level and we'd got a decent replacement but hopefully he'll be out next year.

One of the things that gives me confidence that Ole might be alright after all is his recognition that Smalling isn't the answer to any question.

Mailo

Not in the squad again.
I honestly don't think he deserves it any more than brain freeze Phil Jones. He's been our best defender for years. Which admittedly doesn't say a lot, but regardless.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Finally found his position in this team. No one with the body mechanics and ‘technique’ of Smalling should be anywhere near a proper football squad

AshRK

He has fallen down the pecking order big time. Unless Lindelof or Axel turn out real crap, cannot see Smalling being back up the pecking order. For the sake of Manchester United's future I seriously hope Lindelof and Maguire kicks on and keep the likes of Smalling away from the first team.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Hope he starts tbh, I think he has a lot to offer next to Maguire.
Why in the world would he of all people start today?? This obsession with Smalling is just baffling. He's rubbish. He's nowhere near a top 6 defender. Everybody apart from a few Caf die-hards know it and Ole knows it. He'll be gone in January. If only Everton had come in with a permanent offer instead of a loan, he would have been off. He'll only be used for cup games if he's lucky.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
He's still our 3rd/4th best defender (I haven't seen Tuanzebe), so he'll be getting enough games in the Europa and cups.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
We win today with him. McGuire does the passing and ball carrying. Smalling would be great alongside him.

Lindelof cant lose that header. He was also beat a few other times.

Smalling is not done with us yet.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
As much as I like Tuanzebe, he hasn't done enough AT UNITED, to even begin to replace Smalling in the pecking order. Less said about Bailly and Lindelof the better.

Ekeke

Smalling is not the answer. 10 years of mediocrity has proved that.
The answer to what?

Right now we have a weak looking defense. He is the answer to that. He just isnt the answer to fixing that AND pushing past the half way line passing the ball.

Walters_19_MuFc

He'd have won that header against Ayew, but Lindelof has done well, not only in the first two games this season, but at the back end of last season too.

The Mitcher

The answer to what?

Right now we have a weak looking defense. He is the answer to that. He just isnt the answer to fixing that AND pushing past the half way line passing the ball.
Considering that Maguire practically does all the passing out from the back and we look miles better with it, Smalling really doesn't need to do much but cover him.

Ekeke

Considering that Maguire practically does all the passing out from the back and we look miles better with it, Smalling really doesn't need to do much but cover him.
I agree and said that all along but some people seem to want 2 midfielders in defense

The Mitcher

I agree and said that all along but some people seem to want 2 midfielders in defense
I just don't get the obsession that both centrebacks need to be ball players. They just need to not be shit. I know Vidic was no slouch on the ball, but his primary job in that partnership with Rio was to defend and lead. Rio was the ball player. We did fine that way, and had similar centreback partnerships all through the years.

Ekeke

I just don't get the obsession that both centrebacks need to be ball players. They just need to not be shit. I know Vidic was no slouch on the ball, but his primary job in that partnership with Rio was to defend and lead. Rio was the ball player. We did fine that way, and had similar centreback partnerships all through the years.
Yeah I agree. I think Vidic was a little bit better than Smalling on the ball and could play a long ball now and again, but he played within himself and just did the simple things while Rio was the one trying to do a bit more

Sylar

Theres no guarantee that we win this game with Smalling there, otherwise we wouldnt have finished 6th last season with a terrible defensive record. The issue isnt our cbs but whats in front of them.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It certainly won't surprise me to see Smalling end up back as first choice next to Maguire, but it's not time yet. Ole rightfully should give Lindelof and then Tuanzebe priority, as if they do work out the benefits that they bring will be well worth it. But if it doesn't quite work (and it wouldn't exactly be the biggest surprise if that's the case) then we need Smalling to come back in and help Maguire just dominate.

Yeah I agree. I think Vidic was a little bit better than Smalling on the ball and could play a long ball now and again, but he played within himself and just did the simple things while Rio was the one trying to do a bit more
Nah, Vidic was significantly better than Smalling with the ball. Maybe not such a big gap in his first year or two with us, but he improved year on year and by the end he was comfortably better than anyone we have now other than Maguire.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Smalling is still the best pure defender in our club. He'll be back as a starter, eventually. As season after season has proven it.

izec

Tuanzebe needs a chance first. Smalling isnt the answer for every game, but you need to pick your games when it makes sense to play him. He is not good enough to be starting every game

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Theres no guarantee that we win this game with Smalling there, otherwise we wouldnt have finished 6th last season with a terrible defensive record. The issue isnt our cbs but whats in front of them.
You can have Rijkaard and Matthaus in midfield today, it wouldn't prevent the first Palace goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.