Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

I dont have any. I just hate when people speak with pure hypocrisy.

Smalling is gone for the season and we'll have to make do with what we have for the forthcoming season, whether that means Lindelof improves again after a slow start like both his other seasons here (high probability), or Tuanzebe takes this chance with both hands and shows he has more to offer overall than Lindelof has. If neither happens, or we have an injury then thats when this might turn out to be a mistake.

However to make out like our most dependable CB during his time here got a free pass on any mistakes he made, the same week Lindelof made a mistake at the back would be revealing if it wasnt already known that he was talking rubbish.

More often than not Smalling was blamed for not making up for other people's mistakes - usually a RB. Or lumped in with Jones who truly does have a history of being injured too much and making costly mistakes. Smalling got fitter and was our 1 CB who didnt make mistakes often. That didn't make him an amazing player, just one we could rely on to actually defend well even when people around him didnt.

So to be clear - I don't hate Lindelof or any player. I just don't rate him as a defender above the average curve of a CB in a top 6 club. He does less defending and has less speed and strength to his game than most of them. So far I'd think of him just below Jonny Evans because Evans had a better season than Lindelof has managed so far, but obviously Evans was around longer so maybe in time he'll be the same level and have that good season. But that level isnt extremely high for a CB, its just okay and good enough to get by for a season or two but with some problems along the way.

And I believe now that the whipping boys are no longer there to be blamed, Lindelof is going to face more accountability which is what I've already insisted on giving him. Obviously its best for me to be completely wrong and Lindelof improves his speed, power, becomes a harder working CB who is solid in the air and who's comfort on the ball actually makes a difference in matches and wins us points regularly. I'd love to be wrong and laughed at if thats the case. But thus far I dont see it. If I do see the change in him that suggests to me that can happen I will point it out though.

Why is it best for me? Because I want to see the team do well and being a winning team I can be proud of. I care about that much more than whether some posters on the internet agree with me or not.
I agree many write about Smalling in an unfair way and also with a very disrespectful tone. And the lumping together with Jones is totally unnecessary. Personally I see Smalling as very capable player, but wrong type for the team. If Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Maguire is the way to go, only the future can tell, but I can see how they have features that Smalling doesn't have. Goes both ways of course.

Maybe you don't think about it yourself, but you come out as someone who hates Lindelof. You have been posting absurd amounts about one lost aerial. Something that happens in every game and in this case everybody who have played the game blame Maguire. And no matter whose fault, you come out way over the top when it comes to Lindelof, with emotions that at least can be mistaken for hate. Could be a reaction because you feel Smalling is not appreciated enough, I don't know.

KrasHammerhand

I will miss him, he was far from perfect but always felt he put in his best effort. I also realize that it is need for us to move on.

Ekeke

I agree many write about Smalling in an unfair way and also with a very disrespectful tone. And the lumping together with Jones is totally unnecessary. Personally I see Smalling as very capable player, but wrong type for the team. If Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Maguire is the way to go, only the future can tell, but I can see how they have features that Smalling doesn't have. Goes both ways of course.

Maybe you don't think about it yourself, but you come out as someone who hates Lindelof. You have been posting absurd amounts about one lost aerial. Something that happens in every game and in this case everybody who have played the game blame Maguire. And no matter whose fault, you come out way over the top when it comes to Lindelof, with emotions that at least can be mistaken for hate. Could be a reaction because you feel Smalling is not appreciated enough, I don't know.
I've posted more than a few times about it yes as anyone would if something they pointed out ahead of time and people said they were wrong happened. Again, accountability. When you're wrong like I may end up being about Lindelof if he becomes a great CB, and when you're right like when I suggest he's not that good a defender and he has a bad game and his mistake leads to a goal.

People who can't come up with a good argument as to why something is wrong will often resort to saying someone "hates" someone else. I've been called a "hater" of many players. Hargreaves, Berbatov, Fellaini, Lindelof the ones that I can remember.

Never hated a United player. Sometimes hated how they were used by management.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Wait, that Smalling vs Lindelof is still a thing? Bloody hell, some of you are really stubborn bastards:)

Foxbatt

I am not his biggest fan either and I think he is our 3rd CB but to let him go right now is a stupid idea I think. It is a good move to Smalling if he gets established with Roma. He will get more experienced in playing in a different league and probably would become a better defender in Italy.

Martialfc

I feel like I’m the black sheep here. I have never really had a problem with Smalling. I’d go as far to say that out of our current CB’s he’s number two in my eyes behind Maguire. I genuinely think he’s better than Lindelof. I agree Smalling isn’t the best with the ball at his feet but he’s still a solid CB. I feel like the hate he gets is unjustified and unfair we have far worse players in our squad and it’s a mistake to let him go.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
I am not his biggest fan either and I think he is our 3rd CB but to let him go right now is a stupid idea I think. It is a good move to Smalling if he gets established with Roma. He will get more experienced in playing in a different league and probably would become a better defender in Italy.
He’s going to be 30 soon, that’s as much value as someone my age now practicing and learning algebra or smth equally ridiculous :lol:

The Smallimg apologists thinking he will walk into the Roma team, be first choice and take Serie A, a predominantly defensive league, by storm are heavily deluded but we are in the Smalling thread, so that’s a given :houllier:

criticalanalysis

Maybe you don't think about it yourself, but you come out as someone who hates Lindelof. You have been posting absurd amounts about one lost aerial. Something that happens in every game and in this case everybody who have played the game blame Maguire.
Really? One of the most cliche but inherently true things said by anyone, who plays the game is 'don't let the ball bounce'. You simply do not lose a header/ball, you are facing, seeing all the way, coming from that high angle 70 yards away. The thing is, he has history of it. He did it last season against Brighton too. Funnily enough, Smalling was literally 5 yards next to him for that 'cover' and yet we still conceded because of it.

It's a fundamental failing. You cannot excuse or deflect that.

Andersonson

Been here since the longest. Always got stick by our fans, even though he hasnt done anything wrong as a person. I rate him as a player and his personality. We need better, but fans rating Fosu-Mensah, Jones and Bailly over him are clueless.

If he goes to Roma its because his good. Not a bad club at all. Jones, Bailly or Rojo aint good enough for Roma. We leave the worst behind.

Anyways, good luck to him

A-man

Really? One of the most cliche but inherently true things said by anyone, who plays the game is 'don't let the ball bounce'. You simply do not lose a header/ball, you are facing, seeing all the way, coming from that high angle 70 yards away. The thing is, he has history of it. He did it last season against Brighton too. Funnily enough, Smalling was literally 5 yards next to him for that 'cover' and yet we still conceded because of it.

It's a fundamental failing. You cannot excuse or deflect that.
Anybody can miss a header and everybody does. But the other defenders must cover simple as that. I have seen this commented by several players and they all come to that conclusion. One example from Maguire former team mate Simpson:

“I know what you’re saying about him trying to play offside at the start but I think once that’s gone up in the air I think it’s just a basic rule.

“If somebody’s going up to win it it’s just a basic rule that you cover either sider, whether it’s [Aaron] Wan-Bissaka and Harry.”
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...arry-Maguire-Crystal-Palace-Manchester-United

A-man

I've posted more than a few times about it yes as anyone would if something they pointed out ahead of time and people said they were wrong happened. Again, accountability. When you're wrong like I may end up being about Lindelof if he becomes a great CB, and when you're right like when I suggest he's not that good a defender and he has a bad game and his mistake leads to a goal.

People who can't come up with a good argument as to why something is wrong will often resort to saying someone "hates" someone else. I've been called a "hater" of many players. Hargreaves, Berbatov, Fellaini, Lindelof the ones that I can remember.

Never hated a United player. Sometimes hated how they were used by management.
Ok. But if you often come out a different way than intended, it could be because when you write about those players (Lindelof for example) you do that in a
very contemptuous way.

romufc

If that pass leads to a goal like Lindelof's defensive mistake, maybe. I can't remember a time in his United career where his pass did actually cost us a goal though. I'm not saying its never happened, but if it did it was a long time ago. But unless someone can remind me I don't think thats the case. Smalling played a simple passing game and didnt give the ball away much, unlike someone like Rojo who was more carefree with his passes and often gave it away in dangerous areas.
Fair enough but the fact remains that Lindelof and Maguire are first choice. We have too many CB's and there is no interest in Jones.

What gets me is that we rejected Rojo leaving to Everton but sending Smalling on Loan?

jackal&hyde

Fair enough but the fact remains that Lindelof and Maguire are first choice. We have too many CB's and there is no interest in Jones.

What gets me is that we rejected Rojo leaving to Everton but sending Smalling on Loan?
He's not good at it but Rojo has some versatility playing both CD and LB. Shaw gets injured, as he did..., we have a 34 year old converted winger as backup; having another option there, no matter how mediocre, is important IMO.

kiristao

The only reason I see for keeping Jones and moving Smalling is that Jones is better on the ball. If he can stay injury free (and that's a big if), I think he will be 4th choice behind Tunazabe

stubie

More deadwood out of the club so can't complain at all

I have my doubts over Ole but at least he is getting rid of players who have long outstayed their welcome

Virgil

Wait, that Smalling vs Lindelof is still a thing? Bloody hell, some of you are really stubborn bastards:)
Agreed. Whether right or wrong its history now. Chris has gone. Wish him well and thank him for his contribution. Harping on as to whether Smalling or Lindelöf is the better player is totally pointless. It is evident that Ole is attempting to follow the City and Pool model of being able to play out from the back. In the last couple of years from what has happened in the PL it sure looks as if it is the way to go. Only time will tell whether he is right or wrong. The problem is that currently he does not have the midfield players to link/support defence and attack. Assuming he survives it may be possible to address that issue in January even if as SAF always reckoned there was no value to be had in that transfer window.

marktan

I'll miss him. Been one of our better more consistent spots post fergie. Extremely solid defending, just let down by having no ball playing ability. Hope he does well.

Sylar

Im happy for him and hope he does well at Roma.

But ive been reading a lot about how this could end up being a mistake. The only way its a mistake is if letting him go is the difference between getting 4th and not getting 4th. I dont see how it will be though given the number of seasons weve had him post Fergie as our top choice and have ended up outside of 4th.

Lee565

Dont know what it says about the club that smalling was not content being a rotation player considering he never had an issue in the past with the same role.

LVGSdive

He was incredible when we had LVG and very good under Sir Alex.

Good luck Smallinho.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Just goes the show the difference in mentality between him and Jones/Rojo who are rotation option for years and couldn't care less about not playing regulary, it's all about picking their money and enjoying United's facilities. Just another proof that people should never include and compare him with those, especially because he was actually far better and more reliable player for us than any of those ever were.

Anyway, good luck, I hope he will do well there.

Based Adnan

Dont know what it says about the club that smalling was not content being a rotation player considering he never had an issue in the past with the same role.
What makes you think this was Smalling's doing? He played a very limited role in pre season and we all know we want to play out of the back.

Lee565

What makes you think this was Smalling's doing? He played a very limited role in pre season and we all know we want to play out of the back.
I get the idea of wanting to play out of the back but he was still around 3rd or 4th choice and with the Europa league to contend with as well it's not like he wouldn't have got about 20-30 games this season for us

siw2007

Smalling is a very good defender, he has shown over the years that he is good at winning aerial duels as well as reading the game, tackling and out muscling, also is a strong goal threat. Not a world class defender by any means, he always has errors or a few stinkers in a season in him, obviously finds it difficult against the likes of Aguero, Salah etc like most defenders in the league do.

His main weakness is that he is just no good with the ball at his feet, either fumbling it about or just not passing out well which is why he has lost his place in the team. If he can settle in Rome then he will probably be a good player for Roma.

Best of luck to him, hope he is successful there.

Dve

i regarded Smalling as backup for Maguire. For all his lacks, Smalling is dominant in the air.

If he was a better passer, he would have been a good center back.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Again United mess up. The wrong centreback left, it shouldve been Jones or Rojo.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
He was rock-solid along with Blind for a period of time under LVG. Back when he was Smalldini. Good times :D.

Thank you for the FA cup & Europa League final wins.

Good luck to him in Rome. Hope he enjoys the culture.

RooneyLegend

This club is run by clowns. Theres no way anyone sensible would let him go without trying him and Maguire together.

Bo_7iDaR

Still think he's the third best defender at the club but hopefully Tuanzebe can step in. Good luck Mike.

criticalanalysis

Anybody can miss a header and everybody does. But the other defenders must cover simple as that. I have seen this commented by several players and they all come to that conclusion. One example from Maguire former team mate Simpson:

“I know what you’re saying about him trying to play offside at the start but I think once that’s gone up in the air I think it’s just a basic rule.

“If somebody’s going up to win it it’s just a basic rule that you cover either sider, whether it’s [Aaron] Wan-Bissaka and Harry.”
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...arry-Maguire-Crystal-Palace-Manchester-United
Of course anybody can miss a header but that's like saying you're fine with your striker missing a chance from within the 6 yard box. Except it's not just one header or one chance.

4 mins in.

He has history for it but you're just accepting indecisiveness and mediocrity.

You talk about cover. Look at Smalling covering there 2 yards away from him. We still conceded. He has history of it and for you continue to defend him then claim others are hating, who has the bias here.

Foxbatt

He’s going to be 30 soon, that’s as much value as someone my age now practicing and learning algebra or smth equally ridiculous :lol:

The Smallimg apologists thinking he will walk into the Roma team, be first choice and take Serie A, a predominantly defensive league, by storm are heavily deluded but we are in the Smalling thread, so that’s a given :houllier:
Why not? He may have better IQ than you? Being close to 30 is nothing important if a player is fit. Giggs played much longer and in Italy they know how to defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.