Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Made the serie A team of year.

Rather spending money on another squad level centre back would rather we used Smalling until we got the right man.

He's very good at sweeping up and playing last man, would be a good partner for Maguire
Thats strange when some people seem to think he wasnt that great for Roma. Its almost like they didnt actually watch

FujiVice

What did he ever do? Well aside from missing a penalty
2 league cups, 57 England caps and an OBE. Which isnt a bad career for someone who didnt play for Arsenal or Man United in the 90s.

drdoityourself

He's turning 31 (thought he was younger), probably coming off the best season of his career.
Don't think he'll really fancy coming back here. To a manager who loaned him out, to supporters who have been lukewarm towards him. And most likely be a rotational player.

Think he'll push for a move. I'm not his biggest fan but wouldn't mind using the budget elsewhere and see him build on that year in Rome at United. But as I said I find it highly unlikely he stays here for another season.

saivet

The England manager doesnt think they can play together. Two transit vans trying to turn in a crowded space at the back.
I think that's more to do with his ability on the ball rather than any potential partnership with Maguire.

romufc

He's turning 31 (thought he was younger), probably coming off the best season of his career.
Don't think he'll really fancy coming back here. To a manager who loaned him out, to supporters who have been lukewarm towards him. And most likely be a rotational player.

Think he'll push for a move. I'm not his biggest fan but wouldn't mind using the budget elsewhere and see him build on that year in Rome at United. But as I said I find it highly unlikely he stays here for another season.
Like you said, he is coming back from one of his best seasons, doubt he will want to be backup given his form and age.

He is one of the few players who we have that can fetch some transfer fee, we should definitely looking to sell him this summer.

We really should get rid of all 3 Jones, Rojo and Smalling. Hopefully we can get about £25m between them and spend that on a replacement.

Revan

Assumptionman
Keep him if no one wants to pay 20m. We cannot find a better CB for less than that (or even that), and we should not go into the new season with only two (or for that matter only three) CBS. I much rather prefer keeping Smalling and selling all of Jones, Rojo and Bailly who are useless.

Idxomer

Made the serie A team of year.

Rather spending money on another squad level centre back would rather we used Smalling until we got the right man.

He's very good at sweeping up and playing last man, would be a good partner for Maguire
His instinctive as a defender is greater than either Maguire and Lindelof, he just looks more ready and natural doing the dirty work of defending.

Shimo

Unless we get a top CB to partner with Maguire next season, truly hope Ole gives him a fair shot at staking a claim next to Maguire.

In his presser he had already set out his stall of Lindelof and Maguire with Axel being backup at the start of the season. Also, eluded to how being a high pressing team, sometimes they've been found out in behind - hope this means he realizes that he might have to have a rethink. Smalling is a very good one on one defender and with him we wouldn't be as jittery playing a high line. He's fine with the shorter passing but, Lindelof is definitely more press resistant. For me the benefit of being able to defend one on one, be physical and be quick is greater need since Maguire is on the other side.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Thats strange when some people seem to think he wasnt that great for Roma. Its almost like they didnt actually watch
Why does Roma not want to keep him? Clearly we don't want him back, so - why is loan not extended or transfer not requested?

romufc

Why does Roma not want to keep him? Clearly we don't want him back, so - why is loan not extended or transfer not requested?
They cannot afford him. United want extra 2m euros, they refused.

Surely we can get a better fee somewhere else.

tomaldinho1

Personally I'd like to see him come back and given a fair chance to compete for a spot again. If I think of our issues this season, my biggest issues are the RW (which we look to be imminently addressing) and our CB pairing because neither Maguire or Lindelof has been convincing. Instead of splurging yet more money on yet another CB, and remembering top CBs cost almost as much as strikers these days, Smalling should be given the chance here based off his form for Roma.

In my opinion Smalling + Maguire or even Smalling + Lindelof is a better partnership than Maguire + Lindelof.

Ekeke

The players they had this past season, they havent paid for a bunch of them yet. This summer they pay for Mancini, Veretout and Carles Perez which is 40 million euros. So they have those commitments, another 22 million euros to keep what they had this year for Smalling - maybe they figure thats too much with corona going on.

I would say its a bad move because if everyone is fit they have a good midfield and attack and score goals, its balancing their defense that will be key for them to go to the next level next season. Maybe they get Verthongen on a free and that lets them buy a younger player to try to help the defense. Are they going to do as well as Smalling did? Probably not, but Roma probably wants some resale value. They only bought Dzeko and Kolarov for 11 and 5 million euros and they're two of their best players, so maybe they're looking for cheap players like that again

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
They cannot afford him. United want extra 2m euros, they refused.

Surely we can get a better fee somewhere else.
Thanks, didn't know we tried raising the fee.

The players they had this past season, they havent paid for a bunch of them yet. This summer they pay for Mancini, Veretout and Carles Perez which is 40 million euros. So they have those commitments, another 22 million euros to keep what they had this year for Smalling - maybe they figure thats too much with corona going on.

I would say its a bad move because if everyone is fit they have a good midfield and attack and score goals, its balancing their defense that will be key for them to go to the next level next season. Maybe they get Verthongen on a free and that lets them buy a younger player to try to help the defense. Are they going to do as well as Smalling did? Probably not, but Roma probably wants some resale value. They only bought Dzeko and Kolarov for 11 and 5 million euros and they're two of their best players, so maybe they're looking for cheap players like that again
Interesting. Thank you for the info!

EwanI Ted

Unless we get a top CB to partner with Maguire next season, truly hope Ole gives him a fair shot at staking a claim next to Maguire.

In his presser he had already set out his stall of Lindelof and Maguire with Axel being backup at the start of the season. Also, eluded to how being a high pressing team, sometimes they've been found out in behind - hope this means he realizes that he might have to have a rethink. Smalling is a very good one on one defender and with him we wouldn't be as jittery playing a high line. He's fine with the shorter passing but, Lindelof is definitely more press resistant. For me the benefit of being able to defend one on one, be physical and be quick is greater need since Maguire is on the other side.
I think we'd be swapping one set of issues for another. Lindelof's lack of pace makes it hard to for us to play a high line with confidence, Smalling's poor passing makes playing out through a press very risky. Given that we want to do both regularly, I don't think changing one for the other leaves us any better off overall.

This time last year it could have gone either way since both had a similar shout, but with having gone with Lindelof last season, I think we should settle with that unless/until we find a proper long term option who's better than both.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I always rated Smalling, and would really like to see a prolonged run of him and Maguire

Amarsdd

He's not going anywhere:

last summer Ole wanted Smalling to stay but as a backup, so Smalling left for regular first team football. I think it will the same this time around as well.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This was discussed over in the presser thread, think most people agreed there this was just Ole nice but non-committal things about the player.
Ole says he will be valuable and has had discussions with Chris, so maybe he'll stay on this time around?

Skeezix

Another season of Smalldini and Joniesta eh?

I rate Smalling much higher than Jones who seems to be an accident waiting to happen he comes back from his long injuries. His passing ability is more restricted compared to Jones, but Smalling is much more consistent. We know what to expect from him. Plus, good at defending set pieces.

But I would rather we give chances to the likes of Axel Tuanzebe (if he manages to be fit and overcome his injuries within the next 2 years) or we sign other prospects from other leagues. Smalling and Jones don't seem to have room for improvements anymore. Maguire and Lindelof are much better on the ball and their defending though not perfect is much better overall. Plus they are both injury free till date.

Anyway, the mere fact that Smalling went to Roma of all places for regular football should deserve some appreciation and respect moreso than the other deadwood players who are content with their salary but no football at United.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ole says he will be valuable and has had discussions with Chris, so maybe he'll stay on this time around?
Manager saying the right thing to keep the price of an asset positive. We were ready to sell him to Roma, they just didn't meet the asking price. I suspect we know that others will

ti vu

Can we include him in a deal for Grealish or Rice to lower the price by around 20m?
The point being Smalling want to play at higher level than relegation battlers. Also if not playing for a very top English team, he would prefer overseas given, he was targeted. Once Southgate coined it, Smalling couldn't see the end of it, as if he's stealing a living. He has his flaw especially in on ball ability, but in other aspect of defensive work, he can be a beast in a right set up.

ti vu

Roma being dipshits.
I think it's the Covids-19 effect on than Roma trying to be dipshits. We know majority of Italian clubs running on shoestring budget. Even the like of Juventus can also be bin diver.

Unless, we have solid inquiry from other clubs, I don't see the point in dragging this out.

Last edited:

flappyjay

Some of this is Smalling dislike rather than rationalizing. At the very least for the upcoming season we will need another established cb not a project. As I said in another thread it's impressive that Maguire played every pl minute and started most of our matches. I don't think he will be able to replicate that in a congested season. We will need another solid cb and we have one on our books. Also I would rather we use him whilst waiting for a proper cb to show themselves rather than go for more projects.

mu4c_20le

last summer Ole wanted Smalling to stay but as a backup, so Smalling left for regular first team football. I think it will the same this time around as well.
Yes, apparently Ole had him at 4th choice. The loan move was good for all parties as he needed a change of scenery.

tenpoless

Am I the only one who's happy at the thought that he could be here for next season? Both Bailly and Jones are made of glass and when they play, they are mistakes waiting to happen. Bailly especially.

He could improve our defence for one or two season at least. Knowing that most of our budget will be spent on Sancho.

edcunited1878

Am I the only one who's happy at the thought that he could be here for next season? Both Bailly and Jones are made of glass and when they play, they are mistakes waiting to happen. Bailly especially.

He could improve our defence for one or two season at least. Knowing that most of our budget will be spent on Sancho.
Smalling was to provide cover and was 4th choice CB going into this past season, but he had value and a desire to play, which Roma granted to him. At minimum, Smalling gives United quality depth and he's quality (even with his weaknesses like all other players) that can be depended on. But it makes sense that the club is still looking for a younger CB to develop but still be trusted to what was happening with Tuanzebe before he got injured again.

Wouldn't be surprised if Smalling was loaned out or sold before the new season because he's not first choice and another club would like him to be a first choice selection.

criticalanalysis

Is he still eligible for us in the Europa League?

Imagine if he starts for us and establishes himself! Would love to see anyone not named Passivelof to get a chance tbh.

Rajma

Other clubs will pick him up no worries, we definitely shouldn’t sell for anything less than 20M for someone who made Seria A team of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.