Chris Smalling - does he start at any other top 6 team?

Wilt

Once the PL fully adopts VAR definitely not. He may not play for any in the top 10 after that. For now though Arsenal for sure.
Agreed, he seems incapable of doing his job without holding or shirt pulling.

VAR is going to be his undoing and I imagine the opposition will be targeting him.

An absolute liability in waiting and for that reason we need to move him on, but I don’t see any of the top 6 being interested.

El Jefe

Its your own metric for judgement. If its silly its because your metric is silly.
Let me spell it out for you since you're finding it so hard to grasp.

Smalling has been in the league for 10 seasons without a PFA team of the year award. Rudiger and Gomez are in their second season so clearly it makes no sense to use the same point for them.

Kompany, Vertoghen Cahill, Alderweireld, Otamendi and Luiz are all experienced defenders who have been in the league for a while with the award. VVD is about to join this list of players. Smalling has been here longer than almost all these players.

MadMike

Smalling is very useful in the "Mourinho system". Sitting low, defending from crosses, not playing out of defence and not interested in possession. This approach is used by some of the top teams against other top teams. In these instances he would play for them.
Against weaker teams where you are the one in possession he will not be among the starting 11 (assuming everyone is fit). His ability on the ball, while improved since last season, is still below the other players mentioned, and will be an issue against teams where moving the ball quickly is key (teams parking the bus).
Well, that's patently wrong. He's played for SAF, Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and now Ole and everyone has found a use for him whichever way they play. Because he's a good defender. And his ability to move the ball quickly, while inferior to other defenders, is nowhere near as problematic as you guys make it sound. You're talking like a team with Smalling in it, can't play football or something. Obviously results and performances disprove that quite easily.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
What a heck does this mean? Both him and Lindelof are centerbacks, so he cannot be our best defender if he is not our best centerback.

Second point shows that manager didn't trust him. He was more 'lesser of evils' like a bit better than the others, who well, are not that good.
I mean that there are different aspects to the position of centre-back. Lindelof is better in possession, for example but if you are looking for someone to repel the opposition, defend our box, get headers, tackles, blocks in, I think Chris is the best we have. That's not a complicated concept, is it?

Revan

Assumptionman
I mean that there are different aspects to the position of centre-back. Lindelof is better in possession, for example but if you are looking for someone to repel the opposition, defend our box, get headers, tackles, blocks in, I think Chris is the best we have. That's not a complicated concept, is it?
It is a very complicated way to say that he is not as good as Lindelof, to be fair.

Lindelof actually has better 'defensive' stats than Smalling anyway this season. And well, a defender is not there only to defend, he should be a player first and foremost. It is the reason why Ramos will be considered as one of the greatest defenders ever, and the reason why Smalling doesn't play for England, and plays for United only after other defenders prove again to be shit.

beedoubleyou

Yeah all of them. You need at least 4 centre backs throughout the season and he'd get in all of the teams. He's won a couple of Premier League titles alongside everything else other than the Champions League. So can we compete with Chris Smalling? Evidently.

Can you United improve at centre back? Yes.
Can they improve all over? Yes.
Do our fans need to throw everyone under a bus simply because they currently play for us? No.
Will they do it anyway? Try and stop them.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It is a very complicated way to say that he is not as good as Lindelof, to be fair.

Lindelof actually has better 'defensive' stats than Smalling anyway this season. And well, a defender is not there only to defend, he should be a player first and foremost. It is the reason why Ramos will be considered as one of the greatest defenders ever, and the reason why Smalling doesn't play for England, and plays for United only after other defenders prove again to be shit.
The reason why Ramos will...

You know what? Actually never mind. You right, Ramos is the greatest.

Ekeke

No he doesnt. And your argument falls apart because we have CBs who are better on the ball than Smalling but dont play

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

I thought it was pretty straightforward. Your centre-backs are a partnership. Do you think Rio and Vidic had exactly the same attributes? Ramos is marshalling a defence that has conceded 31 goals in La Liga this season, more than any of the top 5, more than Getafe, more than Alaves, almost twice the amount that Atletico have conceded. Look at our defensive record, at our clean sheet record while he out and since he established himself again. Outside of VVD, there are very few outstanding centre-backs operating in the Premier League. I really don't think England caps is how we should be rating our players.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
You could ask the same question about most of our starting 11.

Smalling is our best CB so if he wouldn't then none of the others would. I'll trust the judgement of multiple managers who have made him first choice and our players who had him as player of the year a couple of seasons back, over the opinions on here.

The best people can come up with is paying £70m+ for Maguire to 'improve' on him which tells a story itself. Many wanted him sold in the summer to bring in Yerry Mina, would he start for the top 6?

Rossa

Do people who argue that Smalling would not play for any other top 6 team also argue that DDG would not play for another top 6 side? DDG is almost as bad as Smalling at playing out from the back, and comparing him to other top 6 goalies justifies that comparison. Even if DDG is not as good with the ball at his feet as Ederson in particular or even Allisson, I would still pick DDG over both. Smalling may not have that one ridiculously redeeming quality over other centre backs as DDG does over other goalies, but the comparison is still there. United struggle more to play out from the back because of DDG than City does with Ederson. He just doesn't have the same short passing or long passing abilities. So for City, Ederson is a better fit, although DDG is a better goalie.

Smalling is a better defender than Lovren, in my opinion. How he would fit in alongside VVD, we will never know. He'd walk into that Arsenal defence, and I'm pretty sure he would fit in nicely at Chelsea. I'm not sure about Tottenham. They don't seem as good defensively as they have been in the past.

Litch

You could ask the same question about most of our starting 11.

Smalling is our best CB so if he wouldn't then none of the others would. I'll trust the judgement of multiple managers who have made him first choice and our players who had him as player of the year a couple of seasons back, over the opinions on here.

The best people can come up with is paying £70m+ for Maguire to 'improve' on him which tells a story itself. Many wanted him sold in the summer to bring in Yerry Mina, would he start for the top 6?
For some unknown reason, people seem to dumb down their own players yet covet others. Easier being a big fish in a small pool than turning out with 76,000 expecting the win or playing away in the other team's cup final. The song 'you've only come to see utd' is often true and the pressure as we know finds lots of players out. Smalling has played in our biggest games and scored in them too....

Skills

Snitch
I'm trying to figure out where this myth about Smalling not being able to pass came from. According to whoscored his pass % rate is 87%. Doesn't sound like a player who can't pass???

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/71345/Show/Chris-Smalling
Well he's quite safe and unadventurous with his passing, and looks a bit awkward.

Funnily enough, I reckon he's still contributed to more goals than our other CBs put together because he's a genuine threat in the opposite box while the rest of them are completely useless for all their ball-playing.

Revan

Assumptionman
No he doesnt. And your argument falls apart because we have CBs who are better on the ball than Smalling but dont play
Matches: 24 for Lindelof, 17 for Smalling (so this needs to be taken into consideration):

Clean sheets: Lindelof 6 - 4 Smalling (tie)
Tackes: Lindelof 30 - 21 Smalling (tie)
Tackles success: Lindelof 60% - 52% Smalling (advantage Lindelof)
Last man tackles: Lindelof 1 - 0 Smalling (small sample)
Blocked shots: Lindelof 2 - 2 Smalling (small sample)
Interceptions: Lindelof 18 - Smalling 15 (slight advantage Smalling)
Clearances: Lindelof 102 - Smalling 75 (tie)
Headed clearance: Lindelof 53 - 28 Smalling (advantage Lindelof)
Recoveries: Lindelof 115 - 59 Smalling (advantage Lindelof)
Duels won %: Lindelof 65% - 63% Smalling (tie or slight advantage Lindelof)
Successful 50-50s: Lindelof 8 - 1 Smalling (advantage Lindelof)
Aerial battles won %: Lindelof 63.9% - 64% Smalling (tie or slight advantage Smalling, makes more attempts at them)
Fouls: Lindelof 16 - 13 Smalling (tie or slight advantage Lindelof)

In reality it is extremely close between them in terms of stats, though Lindelof has arguably slightly better defensice stats than Smalling. The only thing Smalling does better are interceptions, where Smalling does 0.13 interceptions more than Lindelof per match (which over course of a season is 5 more interceptions). Lindelof is quite a bit better at tackling and successful 50-50s, while might have some smaller advantage in duels won (though Smalling attempts a bit more of them). Surprisingly, they have the same success rate of aerial battles won, but the impression here seems to be that Smalling is a Van Dijk in the air, while Lindelof is average at it.

Now, where Lindelof shines in comparison to Smalling is the build-up play:

Passes per match: Lindelof 49.4 - 40.2 Smalling
Pass accuracy: Lindelof 89% - 87% Smalling
Assists: Lindelof 1 - 0 Smalling
Big chances created: Lindelof 4 - 0 Smalling
Accurate long balls: Lindelof 50 - 34 Smalling
Goals: Lindelof 1 - 1 Smalling

Of course, you can expect Lindelof to improve (this is only his second season here, and fourth season in general) while Smalling is more or less the finished article.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well he's quite safe and unadventurous with his passing, and looks a bit awkward.

Funnily enough, I reckon he's still contributed to more goals than our other CBs put together because he's a genuine threat in the opposite box while the rest of them are completely useless for all their ball-playing.
This season both him and Lindelof have scored a goal, Lindelof has one assist (Smalling none), and Lindelof has created 4 big chances compared to 0 for Smalling. All stats are only for EPL. Lindelof has 25% more passes, with a slightly higher pass accuracy (which probably would have been higher if he passed only to Smalling, Shaw and De Gea, something that Smalling does but switch Young for Shaw).

DeGea

Matches: 24 for Lindelof, 17 for Smalling (so this needs to be taken into consideration):

Aerial battles won %: Lindelof 63.9% - 64% Smalling (tie or slight advantage Smalling, makes more attempts at them)

In reality it is extremely close between them in terms of stats, though Lindelof has arguably slightly better defensice stats than Smalling. The only thing Smalling does better are interceptions, where Smalling does 0.13 interceptions more than Lindelof per match (which over course of a season is 5 more interceptions). Lindelof is quite a bit better at tackling and successful 50-50s, while might have some smaller advantage in duels won (though Smalling attempts a bit more of them). Surprisingly, they have the same success rate of aerial battles won, but the impression here seems to be that Smalling is a Van Dijk in the air, while Lindelof is average at it.

Of course, you can expect Lindelof to improve (this is only his second season here, and fourth season in general) while Smalling is more or less the finished article.
Good post. The devil in stats is always in the detail. I don't know if this is measured in some shape or form, but I would love to find out the "decision-making" stats of Smalling vs Lindelof. Just by watching Smalling, he sometimes makes rash decisions or gets himself in a bad starting position which then creates problems for himself.

I am also interested to know what Jones's stats is because I bet he is not far off in terms of measurable indices with Lindelof and Smalling. But we all know how often he has a brain meltdown moment and completely loses the plot following bad decision-making. It's the stuff that you can't measure I think that makes the difference and can only be appreciated by managers or people who watch them a lot.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

It's not his job to be "adventurous". He's a defender. His job is to help build it up from the back and then give it to a midfielder or perhaps the odd long ball to mix things up...

Defense isnt their strong point. If he can get in Liverpool and Chelsea's team he can get into Spurs. Sanchez does
A defence is about a lot more than the individual players in it. Spurs and City have a group of defenders that work with their style of play. Smalling would not fit in.

Besides, we have conceded (far) more than the rest of the top 6 bar Arsenal so what does it say about our defenders?

Revan

Assumptionman
Good post. The devil in stats is always in the detail. I don't know if this is measured in some shape or form, but I would love to find out the "decision-making" stats of Smalling vs Lindelof. Just by watching Smalling, he sometimes makes rash decisions or gets himself in a bad starting position which then creates problems for himself.

I am also interested to know what Jones's stats is because I bet he is not far off in terms of measurable indices with Lindelof and Smalling. But we all know how often he has a brain meltdown moment and completely loses the plot following bad decision-making. It's the stuff that you can't measure I think that makes the difference and can only be appreciated by managers or people who watch them a lot.
The sample for him is quite smaller, and I believe that he has missed some big matches (when you expect stats to drop). He has better tackling stats (but then it might be cause his positioning is bad so he is forced to make tackles, unlike Lindelof and to a lesser degree Smalling who are positioned better). He makes significantly less clearances, but surprisingly has as many interceptions as Smalling ( despite playing only 12 games). He has higher duel win rate and aerial battles rate win, but in both cases makes less attempts than the other two. His pass accuracy is the highest out of them three, but he hasn't created any chance (compared to Lindelof's 4) and he makes 5 passes less than Lindelof.

In reality, he isn't that bad stats wise, just that he is injured half of the time (and has the occasional mistake on him).

snk123

I honestly think VAR will kill his career. Literally will give away a penalty every game because of his shirt holding fetish

Litch

.... VAR will hurt Smalling as he has an habit in dealing with players movement that's going to be hard for him to get out off. I think it's as significant to Smallings career as the back pass was to Des Walkers...

I honestly think VAR will kill his career. Literally will give away a penalty every game because of his shirt holding fetish
I think it's daft to say he will give penalties away because he clearly will stop doing it when VAR comes in. What worries me more is why he does it in the first place, quite often it's to stop players getting away from him when he's missed a run. He has always suffered from a slight lack of awareness and it's not something he's going to able to fix. That will cost us when players get beyond him.

flappyjay

Can't take the Cafe serious anymore once upon a time Vlaar, Shawcross, Keane were suppose to be better than Smalling. At the moment it's Maguire. Remember when Damian was suppose to be a better attacking full back than Valencia? This place its either the players are severely underrated or overrated and Smalling is severely underrated by some whilst also being overrated by some

Ekeke

And here's the actual stats per game instead of ludicrously comparing accumulation between 1 player who has played 26 matches and another who has played 17, over a third less and comparing "duel success" which means people who shy away from duels are more likely to have more success % :

Smalling more interceptions, clearances, beaten less with dribbles, more blocks and less own goals. He also attempts and wins more headers by a large distance.

Lindelof more tackles and less fouls. Offsides is a weird one because it requires a team effort but if you want to say that we play people offside more often with Lindelof than with Smalling be my guest. Thats 5 to 3 at best. 6 or 7 if we include headers and/or attempted headers (attempting to win a header against a forward is often enough to stop them doing exactly what they want and scoring the header).

Lindelof is obviously better on the ball. So if you want to say he's been just as good as a player I think its completely fair. But if we're being specific about defending, then thats a no. Thats Smalling

Litch

I think it's daft to say he will give penalties away because he clearly will stop doing it when VAR comes in. What worries me more is why he does it in the first place, quite often it's to stop players getting away from him when he's missed a run. He has always suffered from a slight lack of awareness and it's not something he's going to able to fix. That will cost us when players get beyond him.
Not sure it's that easy to simply stop and in principle, you've answered your own question.

MadMike

A defence is about a lot more than the individual players in it. Spurs and City have a group of defenders that work with their style of play. Smalling would not fit in.

Besides, we have conceded (far) more than the rest of the top 6 bar Arsenal so what does it say about our defenders?
It says we had a shit first half of the season as a team, because the same defence was one of the two best for the previous 2 years and Smalling was at the heart of it. Let’s see where it stands at the end of the season, now that we have a stable partnership and a manager that knows what he’s doing.

Revan

Assumptionman
And here's the actual stats per game instead of ludicrously comparing accumulation between 1 player who has played 26 matches and another who has played 17, over a third less and comparing "duel success" which means people who shy away from duels are more likely to have more success % :

Smalling more interceptions, clearances, beaten less with dribbles, more blocks and less own goals. He also attempts and wins more headers by a large distance.

Lindelof more tackles and less fouls. Offsides is a weird one because it requires a team effort but if you want to say that we play people offside more often with Lindelof than with Smalling be my guest. Thats 5 to 3 at best. 6 or 7 if we include headers and/or attempted headers (attempting to win a header against a forward is often enough to stop them doing exactly what they want and scoring the header).

Lindelof is obviously better on the ball. So if you want to say he's been just as good as a player I think its completely fair. But if we're being specific about defending, then thats a no. Thats Smalling
Except that he is not. He does a bit more blocks, that's it. All the other stats are equal for all practical purposes. And yeah, Lindelof has 1 own goal.

Lindelof offers much more than Smalling in the other part of the game, while being as good at defense and having a higher percentage in both tackles and clerances.

snk123

Maybe but it isn't something he can just get rid of when VAR is in place if he's been doing it for so, so many years.
And if he does eventually stop doing it after giving a few penalties, it will take the advantage away from him and will make him an even worse defender than he currently is.

Litch

Interesting. The issue I have with Stats is it never gives the context. Hard to make a judgement without it....

Fosu-Mens

Well, that's patently wrong. He's played for SAF, Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and now Ole and everyone has found a use for him whichever way they play. Because he's a good defender. And his ability to move the ball quickly, while inferior to other defenders, is nowhere near as problematic as you guys make it sound. You're talking like a team with Smalling in it, can't play football or something. Obviously results and performances disprove that quite easily.
Evans/Vidic was the prefered during the 12/13 season.
Under Moyes he playes as often as a RB, though this says more about Moyes than Smalling.
LVG: The passing under LVG was safe and slow at the back. I think most people in the Welsh first division would be able to make those passes.
Mourinho: Not really interested in having the ball or play out from the back.

I agree with you that he is a good defender when we are protecting the goal, albeit his shirt holding will be an issue with VAR, but his ability on the ball is not good enough against teams parking the bus. And when we, in the future, have a team with better technical ability this will be clearer. I'm not saying he is sh*t, i'm only stating that his lack of ability on the ball is an issue against teams sitting low, which we are expecting to meet more and more if we are continuing to perform.
Since there are certain matches we are not going to have the ball mutch, i would rather see Smalling than the likes of Mustafi, Luiz etc in these situations.

Ekeke

Except that he is not. He does a bit more blocks, that's it. All the other stats are equal for all practical purposes. And yeah, Lindelof has 1 own goal.

Lindelof offers much more than Smalling in the other part of the game, while being as good at defense and having a higher percentage in both tackles and clerances.
% doesnt equate to work rate and what players are doing on a game to game basis. It just means 1 player only attempts duels when its easier than the other while the other is always trying to defend, because they take on that responsibility

An example is Smalling having the most attempted headers out of all CBs at the top 6 clubs. Sanchez is 2nd, then VVD

Lindelof is joint 8th least attempted headers out of all CBs in the league. Not just the top 6 clubs. Until recent months he was in the bottom 5.

And yet you believe Lindelof is better at headed clearances and even to Smalling because of the % of win and loss. Despite the fact Smalling averages 6.5 attempted headers and Lindelof 3.5 - so close to doubling him. And you don't need to win every header to defend a situation well. You just need to pressure your opponent so that they arent able to get a free header and have their best attempt at goal. You can put them off balance, you can make them nervous with your presence and put them off in other ways. But the actual act of going for that challenge will never, ever be the wrong choice compared to not trying to win the header. So its completely irrelevant if you have a higher % of headed duels won when you make a small amount of headers total compared to your peers. It means you are selecting the easy ones and not doing your job most of the time, or someone else is doing it all for you as was the case with Fellaini and Smalling for most of the season.

I mean shit, Fellaini played as an extra CB for a period of games this season for this precise reason. But Lindelof has a good % of the headers he chose to give a shit about, so he must be better at defending than a CB who didnt have the team built around him so we didnt keep conceding loads of goals like at the start of the season.

Another example of % being silly is Ander Vs. Matic. I bet Ander's tackle percentage is lower because Matic doesnt run around the pitch giving 100% all the time trying to win the ball back, he waits for players to come to him more often than not making it much easier to win a challenge. And yet Ander is the one who has made 7th most tackles in the league out of CMs/DMs this season and for a large chunk of the season so far, he actually made the most. Ander is our ball winner. He tries more often therefore he's prone to failing more often, but by accumulation over the course of 90 mins he wins the ball back far more often than Matic. So Matic having a higher % doesnt mean anything. Ander is far more effective.

Duels won % is just a way for players who dont work as hard to have a stat that looks good.

Average per game is a way for hard working players who are going to consistently deliver something over the course of a match or a season. They are the dependable ones. Not the ones who are only interested in confrontations where they are obviously going to win the ball. Thats a lack of character and places a burden on their teammates to do the heavy lifting for them

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
It's his only stand out quality, not that he's awful but we need better. His poor distribution hurts us.
He's also our best marker. Name one other CB who's as beastly as Smalling when it comes to the physical tussles, the one on ones, Smalling seldom ever gets beat for speed. He makes the least tackles out of our CBs and he makes the most interceptions which shows he has better awareness and anticipation than his teammates.

It also means he makes the least rash challenges which the likes of Rojo, Bailly and Bailly have been guilty of and punished for. Smalling has a better disciplinary record than Jones, Bailly and Rojo, less of a liability. He's admittedly pretty bad with his feet, but with a partner like Lindelof or Bailly that's not a big problem. Smalling is also our best big game performer at the back. He's marshaled the likes of Salah, Vardy, Aguero and Kane on more than one occasion. Im sure Higuain won't forget how he was totally nullified by Smalling when we beat them 2-0 recently. Its not just the headers.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Smalling would walk into Arsenal and Chelsea's defence. For those doubting him playing in teams that want to play out from the back, LVG made Smalling a mainstay in his team and all we did under LVG was pass.

Ekeke

It says that Lindelof and Bailly were terrible at the start of the season, Smalling came in and did better but isnt VVD and wasnt going to magically stop all the goals alone. Now that Lindelof has improved, having taken on more responsibility while Smalling was away and he was playing next to Jones, Smalling finally has a decent partner to start next to and our central defense doesn't look bad. But the damage was done early in the season when that wasnt the case.

Sanchez is in the Spurs team because he makes a lot of headers unlike Toby and Verthongen. Sanchez has 2nd most starts at CB of Spurs CBs. Smalling makes more headers than Sanchez. Smalling makes the most of the CBs at the top 6 clubs. Sanchez is 2nd. So yes he does fit what Spurs do.

kundalini

Nearly all the central defenders in the squads of the top 6 are good players when confident, free from injury, alongside a partner who limits their weaknesses to some extent, and in a system that suits them.

City's system seems a poor match for Smalling.

Liverpool might be ok alongside VVD. Don't think Smalling would improve them so on that basis, probably wouldn't make their team.

Chelsea if playing alongside David Luiz. Again I don't think Smalling improves them but might be similar standard to Rudiger.

Arsenal probably fine

Spurs not convinced he would suit their set-up but I could be wrong. The CL distance covered stats for Spurs' central defenders would come as a shock to United's central defenders. Spurs' CBs cover between 10 km and 10.2 km per 90 mins, ours 9.0 km.

Last edited: