Chris Smalling - does he start at any other top 6 team?

izec

If we'd put him on the transfer market tomorrow, we would get an 8m take it or leave it offer from Fulham

redpatron

Smalling is dire.

Positional, passing and ball control. He is shite at it all.

Not an elite CB in anyway shape or form
100%. Every since he got inserted back in the lineup from his injury the team went downhill. Its no coincidence, the offense has struggle and we played much slower. The fact that we can't play out of back just hinders the attack and puts too much pressure on this shite defense.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
100%. Every since he got inserted back in the lineup from his injury the team went downhill. Its no coincidence, the offense has struggle and we played much slower. The fact that we can't play out of back just hinders the attack and puts too much pressure on this shite defense.
Its no coincidence that we have been worse since he came back, he is our worst defender hands down,

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’d wager he’s won more headers and made more interceptions this half than any of the players around him put together.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I’d wager he’s won more headers and made more interceptions this half than any of the players around him put together.
Of course, the most important one (first goal) he didn't, and gave away the throw-in for no apparent reason.

As I've tried to say, his stats are probably not that bad, but he costs us goals and performances because he's so bl**dy terrible at football.

Ekeke

Of course, the most important one (first goal) he didn't, and gave away the throw-in for no apparent reason.

As I've tried to say, his stats are probably not that bad, but he costs us goals and performances because he's so bl**dy terrible at football.
Nonsense. And giving away a throw is bad :lol: With this level of performance its criminal to complain about someone giving a throw away.

Calvert-Lewin did win the ball in the air, which we tend to rely on Smalling for because everyone else is crap in the air. So thats the area where he'll be a bit disappointed. That said Calvin-Lewin's strength is in the air. So thats what hes there for and he causes plenty of teams problems like that.

SteveW

Nonsense. And giving away a throw is bad :lol: With this level of performance its criminal to complain about someone giving a throw away.

Calvert-Lewin did win the ball in the air, which we tend to rely on Smalling for because everyone else is crap in the air. So thats the area where he'll be a bit disappointed. That said Calvin-Lewin's strength is in the air. So thats what hes there for and he causes plenty of teams problems like that.
Pretty shocking escape goating in here. Shameful

redpatron

Everton have 2 solid no nonsense central defenders in Zouma and Keane that are a level above what we have.
these two castoffs today have been moving the ball out of the backfield like pique and ramos, while our cbs can't even move it past the half-line.

Hawks2008

He's also cost us a goal but needlessly putting the ball out for a throw when he had time to turn and move the ball on.

Sylar

You can rely on the same people to defend smalling :)

If he's a starter next season our aim will be to make top 4 at most

He brings blind panic to the defence any time the ball goes near him. With Lindelof next to him it mitigates it slightly, but today we have Jones who is arguably even more panic stricken and it's a recipe for 2-0 down a half time to Everton. We should all accept we're not progressing as long as either of them are starting defenders for us.

Hammondo

I have not seen the whole match so far, but I havn't seen Smalling do anything wrong so far, whats hes done?

flappyjay

I can't believe people still think our cb's are the problem. Wake up the only midfielder in our team who can pass a ball is Pogba that's where the main problem is. Our midfield is non existent.

Hammondo

He didn't need to put it out, and if the throw doesn't happen neither does the goal.
You can then say that about every pass thats made that somehow leads to a goal. It wasn't the reason for the goal it was just another part of the play before it.

Hammondo

Okay so that goal would have happened without the throw definitely :rolleyes:

And you tell me I need to go to specspavers
You do realise that kicking the ball out for a throw is usually the best defensive choice right?

Hawks2008

You do realise that kicking the ball out for a throw is usually the best defensive choice right?
It was needless though, he had time to turn and play the ball forward. He just has 0 composure with the ball at his feet.

Ekeke

Okay so that goal would have happened without the throw definitely :rolleyes:

And you tell me I need to go to specspavers
Maybe. You can't tell me it wouldnt have happened from a throw in 10 seconds later.

Point is, its a throw in. You have to defend it.

I've seen Messi give away a throw in

Red00012

@GifLord If you can get the corner Everton had and the ball falls to Smalling who hoofs it instead of passing it to Pogba who is all alone ,it would be appreciated.
I actually used sky + to rewind because I could believe what I was seeing.

Maybe in Sunday League football it is. Even in the lowest rungs of professional football if there is a pass on, you take it.

Hammondo

Maybe in Sunday League football it is. Even in the lowest rungs of professional football if there is a pass on, you take it.
Thats not true at all, its never black and white. Picking a pass can be the worst decision they can make, it depends on the receiving players position and the passing players position. For the top teams they are more likely to not do a risky pass and will kick it out for a throw in more often.

Thats not true at all, its never black and white. Picking a pass can be the worst decision they can make, it depends on the receiving players position and the passing players position. For the top teams they are more likely to not do a risky pass and will kick it out for a throw in more often.
It depends on the player's ability. Nobody hoofs it out for a throw anymore unless there is no other choice.

Robbie Boy

He’s a fecking clown and his weird fan club on here is one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever witnessed. Gimp.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
@GifLord If you can get the corner Everton had and the ball falls to Smalling who hoofs it instead of passing it to Pogba who is all alone ,it would be appreciated.
I actually used sky + to rewind because I could believe what I was seeing.
which min?

spiriticon

He is done. Along with Jones, Lindelof, Rojo, Young and Valencia.

I want to see some youth defenders in their place next year.