Chris Smalling robbed at gunpoint in ‘night of terror’ in Italian home

::sonny::

Chris Smalling, the former Manchester United and England defender, was robbed at gunpoint while he, his wife and two-year old son were in their Italian home.

While club side Roma saw off Ajax to book their place in the Europa League semi-finals, Smalling endured a ‘night of terror’ as his house was targeted by armed burglars, according to reports in the Italian press.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talk...oma-chris-smalling-robbed-gunpoint-italy/amp/

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Blimey, home invasion has to be scary, it was the end of Di Maria when he was here.
Hope his him and his family are ok.

thepolice123

You hear about this happening to footballers a lot. Why are they such easy targets? Probably lack of security measures or too much valuables at home?

Raw

You hear about this happening to footballers a lot. Why are they such easy targets? Probably lack of security measures or too much valuables at home?
Probably a bit of both. You hear these stories about footballers getting robbed when they're away at matches too.

FujiVice

Burglars are opportunists. Its always due to a lack of security. If you are on 200k a week and have valuables in the house you need to do what the likes of David Beckham do. You get PROPER security. Not local firms that advertise in the paper. You pay off the big boys in the city to make sure your house is a no go area and if anyone fecks with your property it wont be the police that gets involved. It amazes me how this can happen.

Not slagging Chris Smalling off obviously, because my sympathy goes out to him. Just talking in general.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Burglars are opportunists. Its always due to a lack of security. If you are on 200k a week and have valuables in the house you need to do what the likes of David Beckham do. You get PROPER security. Not local firms that advertise in the paper. You pay off the big boys in the city to make sure your house is a no go area and if anyone fecks with your property it wont be the police that gets involved. It amazes me how this can happen.

Not slagging Chris Smalling off obviously, because my sympathy goes out to him. Just talking in general.
Yes, I tend to agree. In Rome there will be plenty of people willing to take on a security job like that, and you won't get any bother with them on your side.

Shocking thing to happen to them, with his child there too.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yes, I tend to agree. In Rome there will be plenty of people willing to take on a security job like that, and you won't get any bother with them on your side.

Shocking thing to happen to them, with his child there too.
Are we talking about "legit" people?

Andersons Dietician

Private security is still going to be expensive for your average footballer. Especially when I’d imagine a large portion of players income probably goes in to supporting a lot of family and stuff.

Quick google search you’re going between 1.5 mil for basic up to 3 mil a year for 2 guards. Seen a lot of photos or stories on footballers in the uk going for security dogs.

tugger

Just look at what the stress of the whole situation has done to his kid’s face.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Yikes pretty terrifying that must have been. Wondering if more crime around as the economy is pretty dire due to Covid? Guess will be ramping up security after this.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Sounds horrific, thoughts are with him and his family. Can’t imagine how scary that would be.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Private security costs an absolute fortune. I worked in one while I was studying. Installing and remote monitoring of CCTV and alarm systems cost at least £500k a year. The ones David Beckham uses cost over a £1.5m year. I am not speculating. I know for a fact.
Then you add the costs of the ex army officers they use. The last I knew they had four ex marines. It's not just the wages, its the kits, they need mini housing. You're talking about millions on millions.
David and Victoria had to buy another house on their street just to house the security officers.

jackal&hyde

They are wealthy and scumbags target them. It happens to other people but you don't hear as much because they are not public people.

I hope he is ok and they catch the scum that did this.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yikes pretty terrifying that must have been. Wondering if more crime around as the economy is pretty dire due to Covid? Guess will be ramping up security after this.
These kind of burglars would do it even in "normal" times, but nowadays they can easily recrute some people in need of money who have some experience handling guns (fromer soldiers and police officers) to do the dirty work for them.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Private security is still going to be expensive for your average footballer. Especially when I’d imagine a large portion of players income probably goes in to supporting a lot of family and stuff.

Quick google search you’re going between 1.5 mil for basic up to 3 mil a year for 2 guards. Seen a lot of photos or stories on footballers in the uk going for security dogs.
Maybe they should have that included in their contract negotiations.

stevoc

Blimey, home invasion has to be scary, it was the end of Di Maria when he was here.
Hope his him and his family are ok.
Not to downplay what happened to Di Maria but his family weren't held at gunpoint. Luckily they were out to dinner when someone tried but failed to break into their house.

ArjenIsM3

For fecks sake. Absolute cnuts. Hope they find the ones responsible and put them away for a long time. Can imagine he won't feel safe in that city anymore after all that's happened. If I were him I'd be on the next plane back to Manchester.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
For fecks sake. Absolute cnuts. Hope they find the ones responsible and put them away for a long time. Can imagine he won't feel safe in that city anymore after all that's happened. If I were him I'd be on the next plane back to Manchester.
He must be on £50K plus a week. Would be no financial stretch to hire a security guard. I know that's what I would do in his position.