Chris Smalling | Roma player

Good luck to him. Always gave his best here and it's another deadwood off the books for us.

@Ekeke do you need the number for the samaritans?

Machine Elements

Happy for him as he saved himself from the shambles like yesterday.

It's a shame for the team though as we're losing our best defender for a bargain price and had to watch week in week out a £80m cart horse & a so called "iceman" who's the weakest United defender in the last 30 years stinking up the place. We completely deserve what's happening on the pitch.

Irrational.

He was with us a decade, always did his best for us and was solid when he got a run of games going. He's earned his move away and I hope he does very well there.

Good luck, Chris.

Shimo

Solid player for many years for us. Wish him the best.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Solid defender, average footballer. Still, he definitely had his good moments and I'm sure Roma will get value from what they've paid.

It was unlucky for him that LVG left really as he seemed to be thriving under his Mike Smalling alter-ego.

marktan

Is there any United fan on Earth who truly thinks we’d have been worse off just playing those first two together as a pair since the other two left rather than spending two hundred million quid on Rojo, Blind, Bailly, Lindelof and Maguire?

It’s not exactly been the worst area of the pitch during the malaise years, but if you add Keane in to the mix we’d probably have a better set of CBs right now in 2020 if we hadn’t bothered signing any at all in the last decade.
Tbf you do have a point. But defence is a weird area of the pitch where everytime we concede a goal our defence is automatically labelled as rubbish, I think it's a legacy of the SAF years where we had Rio, Vidic and VDS and people compare it to that, the reality is you can't buy generational defenders like that.

Anywho all the best to Smalling, from a pure defensive point of view I think he's one of the best around, just a bit limited on the ball. He's been a good player for us through a tough decade.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Will be interesting to see if he does well for Roma...

stu_1992

Happy for him that he got the move he wanted. It was clear he was told he didn't belong at United. However its a decision that has never sat right with me while we have the likes of Jones and Rojo at the club still. You could even make a case for him being better defensively than any of our defenders, just held back by his poor passing. However even that is overstated.

Oldyella

Good luck to him. Was a good servant for the club at a bargain price. He's still a better CB than our current crop but there we go.. Dont mention his stint covering RB though!

Siorac

Is there any United fan on Earth who truly thinks we’d have been worse off just playing those first two together as a pair since the other two left rather than spending two hundred million quid on Rojo, Blind, Bailly, Lindelof and Maguire?

It’s not exactly been the worst area of the pitch during the malaise years, but if you add Keane in to the mix we’d probably have a better set of CBs right now in 2020 if we hadn’t bothered signing any at all in the last decade.
Or if not a better set, at least very much comparable. Sums our last seven years up, really.

But I'm happy for Mike: he wasn't wanted here anymore and Rome's a brilliant place which he clearly loves. Best of luck to him.

Addled

Happy for Mike. Was professional about the whole shitshow surrounding the transfer. Kept his head down and trained on his own.Best of luck with the move and enjoy Rome. There are definitely worse places you could be.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Very angry with this news. He and Maguire were always the most sensible partners at the back, yet we never saw it once.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Shame really, in hindsight. Don’t blame him though, must be nice playing in Rome. Wish him the best.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The only CBs we've managed to sell in recent years are our good ones. No idea how we've let Blind and Smalling go before Jones (handing him a new contract, too!), Rojo and Lindelof.

ti vu

The only CBs we've managed to sell in recent years are our good ones. No idea how we've let Blind and Smalling go before Jones (handing him a new contract, too!), Rojo and Lindelof.
Other clubs ain't fools

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Just one bloody game next to Maguire. That's all I wanted to see.

The fact that Southgate didnt choose them together just gives me the vibes that it would have worked. Ole not choosing it is the icing on a poor mans cake.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Best of luck to him. Bit of a shame to see him go, as he is likely the best player at actually defending that we had. Can't fault him from wanting to leave and start games, instead of sit on the bench though.

gajender

Solid defender, average footballer. Still, he definitely had his good moments and I'm sure Roma will get value from what they've paid.

It was unlucky for him that LVG left really as he seemed to be thriving under his Mike Smalling alter-ego.
He actually didn't he had half a season of being good then reverted to norm.

Acole9

Outstanding
Glad he got his move, it was clear he wasn't part of Solskjaer's plans.

dev1l

AS Roma made a loss of more than 200 million euros during 2019/2020.
Shares are down 21%.

Maybe Roma had more than a reason for being thrifty with us

United58

AS Roma made a loss of more than 200 million euros during 2019/2020.
Shares are down 21%.

Maybe Roma had more than a reason for being thrifty with us
E200m?! How did they lose that much in a single season, were they very busy in the transfer market on top of lockdown attendance losses?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is he self-isolating? Wasn't in the squad tonight.

arnie_ni

Crazy when you think of it like that.

Still wish we had blind though

A-man

Anybody who knows what has happened to him? Hasn’t even been on the bench. Is he in quarantine? Maybe he’ll be back and try to stop Zlatan tonight?

Anybody who knows what has happened to him? Hasn’t even been on the bench. Is he in quarantine? Maybe he’ll be back and try to stop Zlatan tonight?
Minor knee injury. Should be back in the team for the Europa League or next weekend at the latest.

A-man

Minor knee injury. Should be back in the team for the Europa League or next weekend at the latest.
Thanks for the update. I was looking forward to the Smalling - Zlatan battle tonight but guess I have to wait for that then.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I know he has been good in Italy but do they really call him Smalldini over there or is it just the English press?

A-man

Did he get injured again? Hasn’t played the last four matches.