Chris Smalling | Roma player

A-man

Smalling was almost always available for United and not often injured. This season he’s been racking up small injury after injury. Missed yesterday’s match vs Juve because of strain in his left thigh. Is it age or just bad luck?

RUCK4444

He's been massively injury prone this season, he's now picked up a knee injury that'll keep him out. The club did well to sell him.
He was reliable for us though injury wise. I still stand by my feeling that he would have been starting for us ahead of Lindelof for the majority of games.

He was never an elite defender but would have suited Maguire better.
Better in the air, one v one and quicker than Lindelof.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He was reliable for us though injury wise. I still stand by my feeling that he would have been starting for us ahead of Lindelof for the majority of games.

All the more reason on why we sold him at a good time. Seems like we got a good 15M just before his injuries had started.

Smalling or Lindelof doesn't matter for me, both are far apart from the standard that this club should be aiming for. Perhaps Smalling is a bit better in certain areas but we should never settle for that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
While I would be classed as a Smalling fan and was disappointed we sold him without trying the Maguire-Smalling combo, he was showing signs of starting to decline in his last season with us. Looked like he'd lost a bit of his pace and wasn't as solid as he'd been in previous years. He did get one good season with Roma but perhaps this season shows we did do the right thing.

SAFMUTD

We are poor playing from the back with DDG and AWB, now add Smalling to that and we would be totally fecked.

while Lindelof lacks physicality he is way more comfortable on the ball and gives us a good option to play out from the back.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We are poor playing from the back with DDG and AWB, now add Smalling to that and we would be totally fecked.

while Lindelof lacks physicality he is way more comfortable on the ball and gives us a good option to play out from the back.
Very fair point, and I'm not a fan of Lindelof.

Gopher Brown

He's been massively injury prone this season, he's now picked up a knee injury that'll keep him out. The club did well to sell him.
No, the narrative is that our medical staff are a joke and that Phil Jones will play a 70 game season the moment he leaves us

thepolice123

You wouldn't be saying this if he stayed. He will be 32 and extremely injury prone. He played even lesser minutes than Bailly this season. :houllier:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Still waiting for the days of Smalldini & Jonesta duo at Roma.

Machine Elements

We're still incredibly shit at playing out from the back despite Lindelöf & our £80m captain Harry "ball playing defender" Maguire as our main CBs though. And Smalling was a better 1 vs 1 defender then both.

Sylar

We're still incredibly shit at playing out from the back despite Lindelöf & our £80m captain Harry "ball playing defender" Maguire as our main CBs though. And Smalling was a better 1 vs 1 defender then both.
Were not shit, because there are times we've done really well

However I would like to see how many times playing out the back has lead to errors or goals for opposition
Then comparing it to other teams and how much it benefits us

Smalling now is not better than Maguire so smallings past contributions are irrelevant to 2022 IMO.

SAFMUTD

Now imagine adding Smalling to it. It would be nearly impossible to play out from the back.

SAFMUTD

Thats the thing right there. Stop playing from the back we don’t have the players or the coaching staff to teach this!
I think playing from the back is the way to go, the solution shouldn’t be “stop playing from the back” but actually fix the coaching to make it better.

I cant think currently of any top team that doesn’t plays from the back, not even Atletico. Is just the modern football standard today, cant afford to lose possession by dropping long balls from deep down.

Velvet Revolver

I think playing from the back is the way to go, the solution shouldn’t be “stop playing from the back” but actually fix the coaching to make it better.

I cant think currently of any top team that doesn’t plays from the back, not even Atletico. Is just the modern football standard today, cant afford to lose possession by dropping long balls from deep down.
Agree, what I meant was we should play from the back when we have the right players and the staff who know how to do it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yeah he was a car crash tonight. Their system doesn’t do him any favors.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Thank goodness it was Chris who showed up and not Mike.

diarm

Surely the night one of the Cafs biggest myths finally died?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
that was his best united performance in years.

spiriticon

Yeah he's fecking bad. But isn't he still their best defender or was that so 2019?

Sorry Lindelof, I underrated you massively when I said Smalling was better.

Zoo

Just back from injury tbf. Got a lot of time for Smalling.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Nothing has changed. The same old Smalling. He shits on the ball and is so scared to pass. If anything, his defending has gone down a level.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Was dreadful tonight, but hasn’t he literally *just* come back from injury? I think he looked gassed in the 50th minute or so, but couldn’t come off due to Roma maxing out on substitution spots.

Definitely should have kept him :lol:

Had a hand in all 6 of our goals. The sight of him ponderously pirouetting around a stationary ball only to pass it to the CB next to him brought back some horrible memories.

Bit harsh :lol:

We ripped them apart and it’s not entirely his fault.
Watch his positional play on both cavani's goals...

Makes a needless and clumsy foul on Cavani for the penalty.

Shit positional play for Pogba's header...

Yes we were very good, but Smalling was incredibly poor. I'm astonished anyone would defend his performance.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
His marking was hilariously bad. He was all lost at sea for our equaliser, and never recovered from there. I like Smalling a lot, but was always very supportive of him being moved on because he wasn't good enough for United. Hopefully the myth about his brilliance has been killed for good now. Next target is Eric "When fit he's our best defender" Bailly.