Chris Wood

Rossa

And??

job done, he’ll be pushed aside to make way for better quality, his stock will be about the same or There abouts

and let’s be honest, when you say lumbered, Newcastle have got more money that all the worlds Elite Teams put together, and more, and probably a bit more on top

it really doesn’t matter to them
That is unfortunately true:

"Newcastle United’s majority shareholder Public Investment Fund has a reported collective wealth of £320 billion.
This alone dwarfs the riches of the rest of the Premier League owners - the closest being Manchester City’s Sheikh Mansour with a £23.3 billion fortune."
https://www.nationalworld.com/lifes...tle-united-owners-after-2021-takeover-3412782

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I thought Newcastle would be able to do better but maybe they just can't convince anybody to go there right now.

If you were getting the Wood of a few years ago and knew how to use him, it would be a no brainer. But there are two things about Wood that should be very concerning.

-He has dipped badly this year at age 30, an age when a lot of strikers fall off significantly. It could be just a blip but there's a very good chance its a real decline. The Wood of the first half of this season will do nothing to save Newcastle from relegation.

-When he has produced, its been in a Sean Dyche team - lots of headed goals, and poking home second balls sent into the box. He's big and has a nose for goal in the box but he's also pretty slow, not very technical. Is he the player you want in an Eddie Howe team?

GlasgowCeltic

Wood and Barnes have been a decent pair for a few years but I wouldn't be wanting to spend cash on either individually.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think Burnley are making the right decision to sell him as well. He hasn't been the same and everytime I watched Burnley, Wood hasn't shown a threat sign at all this season. Time to move on for Wood and Burnley. It's now whether they can use the money to buy the right striker to play next to Cornet.
It’s a release clause they haven’t got a say.

Berbaclass

And??

job done, he’ll be pushed aside to make way for better quality, his stock will be about the same or There abouts

and let’s be honest, when you say lumbered, Newcastle have got more money that all the worlds Elite Teams put together, and more, and probably a bit more on top

it really doesn’t matter to them
They won’t get anywhere by constantly spunking money on average players.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I thought Newcastle would be able to do better but maybe they just can't convince anybody to go there right now.

If you were getting the Wood of a few years ago and knew how to use him, it would be a no brainer. But there are two things about Wood that should be very concerning.

-He has dipped badly this year at age 30, an age when a lot of strikers fall off significantly. It could be just a blip but there's a very good chance its a real decline. The Wood of the first half of this season will do nothing to save Newcastle from relegation.

-When he has produced, its been in a Sean Dyche team - lots of headed goals, and poking home second balls sent into the box. He's big and has a nose for goal in the box but he's also pretty slow, not very technical. Is he the player you want in an Eddie Howe team?
100% this,

They had clearly been after some other players first, but it would appear that they can't convince them to go to a relegation battling side.

Makes no bones to Wood who is in the same scenario with Burnley only getting paid less, same with Trippier, Could stay with Atletico but will not be used much next season and will earn a nice pay packet before retirement at Newcastle (plus has a relegation clause).

The one issue Newcastle may have next season however, is even if they stay up, they don't have many saleable assests, and may be lumbered with the likes of Trippier and Wood who will both be over 30 and on good money, without dodgy sponsorship deals they will fall foul of any financial regulations as their current finances aren't great.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s a release clause they haven’t got a say.
I will correct my sentence: :)

I think it benefits Burnley that Wood leaves. He hasn't been the same and everytime I watched Burnley, Wood hasn't shown a threat sign at all this season. Time to move on for Wood and Burnley. It's now whether they can use the money to buy the right striker to play next to Cornet.

pascell

Good move for both parties. Burnley get a release clause they thought no one would ever trigger. Newcastle weaken a relegation rival whilst reinforcing their attack with a striker who'll probably get them 10 goals in the league, which could turn some losing situations into draws and draws into wins.

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
Look at the club most likely to see them relegated, and take that teams main striker. Sounds legit.

Who are these tyrannous cretins in for next? Ismaila Sarr or Emmanuel Dennis?

Wood will be dumped quicker than greased lightning if they manage to stay up.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Must be an underwhelming signing for the fans. Crazy money for a player who's on the wrong side of 30 who's hardly set the Premiership alight with his measly return of goals. The manager still has a Bournemouth mentality rather than the money he could spend on quality with the rich owners. They could have purchased Lingard and Martial together for about 35 Million and the uplift in quality would be massive.

UpWithRivers

Could be smart. Players ready for a dog fight/possible drop to championship. Would Martial put up the same fight? Also may be an indicator that no matter how much money you have getting players in Jan is not easy.

TheLiverBird

They won’t get anywhere by constantly spunking money on average players.
they need the average/good players to get them out the hole they are in now

they can’t get the good top players because they are in a relegation battle

most top players that are elite league level don’t want to potentially spend a year of their short career in the championship

Trippier coming from a champions league side isn’t going to be the norm in this first initial transfer process

Last edited:

Berbaclass

they need the average players to get them out the hole they are in now

they can’t get the good top players because they are in a relegation battle

most top players that are elite league level don’t want to potentially spend a year of their short career in the championship

Trippier coming from a champions league side isn’t going to be the norm in this first initial transfer process
Disagree. Average players are the reason they’re in the current mess. Far too many of them.

TheLiverBird

Disagree. Average players are the reason they’re in the current mess. Far too many of them.
Well they obviously need good players, and I think they certainly got that in Trippier and I think Chris wood when you look at his record….for this level meaning lower leave table relegation battle level….is a good signing

but I think the expectation for the market they’d be in was way too high

because again we come back too how many top players are going to want to go into a relegation battle

With all their wealth….their league position makes it still a difficult draw as we are clearly seeing

TheLiverBird

I know he’s been out of Elite football for a few years now

but what about the Brazilian former Chelsea player Oscar? His contract in China must surely be up soon

30 years old, loves a big pay day move, probably still has it in him

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s underwhelming. Wilson, when fit, is twice the player. I know he is injured again, but they are in big trouble and I don’t think this improves their first eleven at all.

Taking a player in poor form out of a functional Burnley side for £20 million doesn’t sound like a good idea on any level. It’s a side build to their playing staffs limits and strengths.

CloneMC16

Looks more like taking a key player from a rival than anything else. Shithousery from Newcastle. He hasn't scored much for Burnley this season, but his record in past seasons is okay for their level. He also plays every game for them. Burnley will get a good fee for him, but they're going to find it difficult to replace him with anybody good. They're almost guaranteed to get relegated.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
They're just not going to attract the elite level players, and wont for some time IMO. The other "big 6" will still get picked before them id wager

I said few weeks back for all the talk of superstars, which was nonsense, they'll end up with Lingard, Wood, Barkley, Elneny, etc. Kind of players who are good, but not top level in the prem.

Seems they might get that Diego Carlos from Sevilla though. He's decent tbf

Ekeke

So Newcastle paid £30 million for him at 30 years old with 3 goals in 17 matches this season

Begs the question how much would they have paid if he was 25 and was in the middle of one of his better goalscoring seasons where he might have 7 or 8 goals by now

£50 million?

Now if he actually scores loads of goals for Newcastle and keeps them up he'll have been somewhat worth the £30 million because of the relegation battle they're in and what they could do in the summer if they stay up with a rebuild, and taking him from their relegation rivals Burnley who might go down because of this... Though once again he wasnt exactly keeping them up this season with his goalscoring, it could still be a backfire if he does really well at Newcastle.

Ekeke

They're just not going to attract the elite level players, and wont for some time IMO. The other "big 6" will still get picked before them id wager

I said few weeks back for all the talk of superstars, which was nonsense, they'll end up with Lingard, Wood, Barkley, Elneny, etc. Kind of players who are good, but not top level in the prem.

Seems they might get that Diego Carlos from Sevilla though. He's decent tbf
He's starting for the 2nd best team in la liga and with the best defensive record this season. I'll believe it when I see it, but I would imagine that if he were to be available some of the top premier league clubs would give him a better option.

Jericho

Trippier to put the ball in the box, Wood to get on the end of it. Seems straightforward enough.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
He's starting for the 2nd best team in la liga and with the best defensive record this season. I'll believe it when I see it, but I would imagine that if he were to be available some of the top premier league clubs would give him a better option.
they offered 28m euros i think, might have been more; but seems Sevilla want the clause or nothing, 80m euros

Hughes35

Good move for both parties. Burnley get a release clause they thought no one would ever trigger. Newcastle weaken a relegation rival whilst reinforcing their attack with a striker who'll probably get them 10 goals in the league, which could turn some losing situations into draws and draws into wins.
Wood will not get them 10 goals...... We're halfway through the season. He will get 3 or 4 goals between now and the end of the season I think....... Hopefully it's not enough to keep them up.

GlasgowCeltic

forgot Howe only signed him to send Burnley down, so this hattrick getting him the sack would be fair

Jezpeza

1 less premier league career goal than Martial. Playing in mainly poor teams too.

Shows how much we overhype the standard of some of the players in our squad