Christen Press and Tobin Heath sign for United | Alex Morgan signs for Spurs!

RedDevilRoshi

Very good signings for the women’s team. Two experienced USA internationalists.

Could we get Alex Morgan too? :drool:

LoSpritz

2 experienced internationals with a winning mentality, exactly what the club needs.

That’s midfield and attack pretty well covered

Grande

2 experienced internationals with a winning mentality, exactly what the club needs.

That’s midfield and attack pretty well covered
Agree with this - Casey Stoney has gone with many young players like Ella Toone and Lauren James, and several semi young like Katie Zelem, Leah Galton and Jackie Groenen, and’we’re not very far off the top three in my eyes.

It seems some top class experience could help these talented girls push for the level of Chelsea,City and Arsenal.

Mihai

I thought we were trying to become more press resistant.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Anyone know their quality? Seeing they are internationals.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
2 yanks. Must be good then?

It is kind of trolling creating a thread for this though :lol:
You that much of a muppet you’d get excited for the signing of players you’ve clearly never heard of for the men’s team?

Charlotte Red Devil

Looked class in the World Cup last summer and maybe fancy a Manchester Derby against their international teammate
Heath is very much the better player. Heath is a very pacy winger with wonderful end product, typically plays on the right wing (can she play for the men's team too?). Press is a little longer in the tooth but still a quality option. Plays across the front 3 and can finish. She was used primarily as an impact sub at the last WC. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Penna

croadyman

Heath is very much the better player. Heath is a very pacy winger with wonderful end product, typically plays on the right wing (can she play for the men's team too?). Press is a little longer in the tooth but still a quality option. Plays across the front 3 and can finish. She was used primarily as an impact sub at the last WC. Hope this helps.
What is your personal take on this rumour because surely we cannot afford their salaries

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Looks like Casey's fantastic team builder. This summer she already got Ivana Fuso, one of better talents in Europe.

Tobin Heath would be like signing 32 years old Robben. One to learn from plus still in superb shape.

Charlotte Red Devil

What is your personal take on this rumour because surely we cannot afford their salaries
I am not going to pretend to know the specifics of the clubs financials. From a footballing perspective I think that lot of the American women are looking to play in Europe earlier in the WC cycle. They want to challenge themselves and play in some European leagues and cups. Strictly my thoughts on this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some US Internationals playing abroad for 2 years then coming back the WSL for a year before the WC to play with some US international teammates. Again, may be way off, but just my thoughts on it.

Reactions: Sultan

Minkaro

If we get Christen a pair of stilts, we could play with that high Press people keep going on about.

I’m not sorry.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It would be quite a coup for United. Top players with massive experience of what it takes to win at the top level. Only Groenen really has that in the squad.

They're not the kind of player that United have gone for previously. We've more or less stuck to the principle of recruiting potential. But as with Lucy Staniforth I think this is about us maybe having an opportunity to sign them, and it's too good to miss.

Incidentally, for people who don't normally look at transfers in the women's game - a whole bunch of players are coming over from the USA this year. Most of them are signing contracts for one season. Those who have salaries from the national team will continue to be paid them, for now, but may be expected to return to US club football next year to stay in the squad.

At any rate, exciting news, I hope we get the deals over the line (and that we're allowed to by the FA - because I suspect we need to be allowed to revise our budget to do it).

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Would have loved Rose Lavelle, but the Bitters got there...bastards

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Would be great if this is true. I thought we were done with transfers this season, but signing a couple of players from NWSL in positions we need to improve in would be huge for us.

A bit of background on why some USA players are looking for these one season deals in Europe.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/uswnt-sta...yrkmbu0pstev2umz1ztv75h3djnnql8b98vcomstr9695

City signed Rose Lavelle and Samantha Mewis a couple of weeks ago.
So basically it's because the US hasn't got it's shit together with COVID? Thanks Trump! I suppose it makes their ages less of an issue if we're only expected to see them here for one season anyway.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Heath looked very impressive in the World Cup last summer for the US. Based on that alone, she should be a great signing and well capable of lighting up the league.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Heath looked very impressive in the World Cup last summer for the US. Based on that alone, she should be a great signing and well capable of lighting up the league.
Yup. Depsite age one of fittest players on the tournament, Netherlands had a younger team, but they couldn't keep up in the final with stamina and injuries.

She was also best player by far vs Sweden. Combine her energy with Groenen and natural talent like Lauren and it feels like almost a complete team.

Lightbringer

If that happened, I wouldn’t even bother watching the men’s team!
Christen Press says hi ;)

I actually have met her in real life when she was playing in sweden. Very polite, humble and extremely nice. Pretty much a Jackie Groenen 2.0 when it comes to smiling and spreading happyness :-) Christen is always smiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: jojojo

Lightbringer

It would be quite a coup for United. Top players with massive experience of what it takes to win at the top level. Only Groenen really has that in the squad.

They're not the kind of player that United have gone for previously. We've more or less stuck to the principle of recruiting potential. But as with Lucy Staniforth I think this is about us maybe having an opportunity to sign them, and it's too good to miss.
At any rate, exciting news, I hope we get the deals over the line (and that we're allowed to by the FA - because I suspect we need to be allowed to revise our budget to do it).
Christen Press should definitely be a class above Jane Ross or Sigsworth at the front. United really needs a great striker. I am not sure if Christen a this point can be a star, but nevertheless should be a great addition. The ages 31 and 32 as you noted are not exactly something to build on more than this season and maybe one more, if they dont just want to do a one year off.

Press has always been in the shadow of other brilliant US strikers as Alex Morgan and Abby Wambach. Press can play wing as well which is great. Her work rate and speed is topp class. Just the kind of player Casey seem to like.

I chimed in a bit on Press since nobody in the thread mentioned her while many knew about Heath :-) Would be fantastic if we could sign them, my goodness, what a team we could field.

Christen Press says hi ;)

I actually have met her in real life when she was playing in sweden. Very polite, humble and extremely nice. Pretty much a Jackie Groenen 2.0 when it comes to smiling and spreading happyness :-) Christen is always smiling.

I hadn’t even looked her up, so thank you!

From a footballing perspective she looks like she’s had a very good career, so pretty exciting.

Affirmation

It's pretty much a done deal it seems. Christen Press is genuinely one of my favourite players so I'm unbelievably excited that she's joining plus Tobin Heath is a fantastic addition to the team as well. It's awesome to see more American's playing for us, Casey Stoney is truly putting together a fantastic squad filled with talented players and great personalities. :drool:

edcunited1878

Getting these two quality quality players and quality people/individuals would be a tremendous coup for the Women's team. They are experienced, humble, hard working, great people, and they will know exactly what it takes to win, especially for a club like United...regardless if that's been set by the men's senior team. They'll be up to the challenge and their quality will improve the team significantly! Exciting news!

Lightbringer

It's pretty much a done deal it seems. Christen Press is genuinely one of my favourite players so I'm unbelievably excited that she's joining plus Tobin Heath is a fantastic addition to the team as well. It's awesome to see more American's playing for us, Casey Stoney is truly putting together a fantastic squad filled with talented players and great personalities. :drool:

It would be fantastic. And americans women playing for Man United will also open even more contacts in the future for american players to join. Its all about putting United women on the map bigtime and establish us as major force in the world! This would certainly help that cause. And totally agree that this squad is starting to look great in many aspects.

ninjaskill

Should be a good year for the WSL having a number of US internationals come over for a season, and maybe a couple of English players returning to the league from Lyon. Shame there won't be any fans for much of the season, hopefully can be a good season to help the league grow.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Still not quite news - as no official announcement yet, but the reports remain good. The video is from ESPN - "pretty much locked in" with them just finalising the details now.

The comments about Tobin/Christen are around 2:30 minutes in, but the opening minutes give a bit of background to the US deals:

It's assumed that the players will need to quarantine on arrival, so even if they're on the plane now, they won't be there for the opening match.