Christen Press and Tobin Heath sign for United | Alex Morgan signs for Spurs!

Lightbringer

I am getting slightly panicked about nothing being announced yet ;) I would hate to not see anything come out of this.

Lightbringer

There was talk about the US getting around to staging competitions to keep the players in the States. Could be whats holding them back?
Yes. Apparantly they are starting the 5th september, wow, they must have really acted in haste over there. A real shame United could not get this ball moving in time. But oh well, it could potentially be better for our long term plans as Press and Heath probably was going to be a one year stay only. But it would have been so awesome to see them in a United jersey.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It's hard to know. From what we've heard from the US women's football media, they both want to come, and United are keen to get them. However, they're both still hoping to play for the US national team (and to get the salary that comes with being in that squad) - and there are some regulations that affect them. When the national league went on indefinite hold, the rules didn't really impact things. Now though? I guess we just have to wait and see.

The US sources haven't changed their tunes yet, and the last report I saw suggested that they were planning to travel early next week - and then do a 14 day home quarantine. It does feel a bit like it's all happening (or not) due to circumstances beyond United's control though.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
And the waiting game continues. The US media haven't changed their opinion though, Christen and Tobin are still expected to join us.

Here's the televised football review from:
https://www.inquirer.com/soccer/uefa-nations-league-schedule-nwsl-cbs-20200903.html
Manchester United vs. Chelsea
Sunday, 9:30 a.m. (NBCSports.com/Live; tape-delayed on NBCSN at noon)
Pernille Harder should make her Chelsea debut this weekend after the Blues broke the women’s soccer transfer fee record to sign the Danish scoring ace from Wolfsburg. She joins a squad that’s already the favorite to repeat as FAWSL champs thanks to Australia’s Sam Kerr, South Korea’s Ji So-Yun, and England’s Fran Kirby and Bethany England.

As for Manchester United, the entire women’s soccer world is waiting for the Red Devils to announce the signings of U.S. stars Tobin Heath and Christen Press. Multiple sources have told The Inquirer this week that the expectation is the deal will be announced before Sunday’s game, and it could be as soon as Friday.
Don’t take that as an absolute, because between travel and paperwork there are still things to take care of. The players will also have to quarantine for two weeks in England when they arrive, so don’t try guessing when they might debut. But all indications are the deal is happening.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Can the title be changed so it’s clear this is Uniteds women’s team?

Lightbringer

Can the title be changed so it’s clear this is Uniteds women’s team?
Pardon me sir, but dont you recognize these women players? And if you dont, you should know they are not male players? And if neither should you not know they are not men? ;)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Heath has some outrageous skill.

I haven’t kept up with the women’s game in the US in awhile but I recall there was a fascination to assume that these two are in a relationship together. Fan fiction and analysing how they’re interacting with each other seemed to be a massive talking point.

The Red Thinker

It’s a funny world the WSL. In it, we are not as well funded as the likes of Arsenal, City, Chelsea. So this deal would be big for us.

That being said, our women’s team have existed for like 3 years.

sillwuka

I've probably watched more USA Women's team games over the last few years than Men's team.

2 very experienced players to come in to our team if we pull this off, impressed if we manage this.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
The BBC are now saying this is happening.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Is this big enough to propel United to title challengers?
We can hope but let's start with saying it takes us closer to the top 3 and maybe a cup.

The big three all have really top class starters, and City and Chelsea have strengthened not just their starting lineups but their squads this year. City are expected to sign Lucy Bronze and Alex Greenwood before the window closes as well.

There's no doubt though that the signings would put us firmly on the map for women's football, and should give us a real quality boost. Plus, they will definitely give us a new mental edge, and as older experienced players they'll give our young forwards like Lauren, Ella, Ivana that bit more time to develop.

Enough to turn us into champions? Hmmm, I always think we're going to defy the odds and come out on top, so yeah, why not :lol:

Himannv

Sky reporting this as well.

We can hope but let's start with saying it takes us closer to the top 3 and maybe a cup.

The big three all have really top class starters, and City and Chelsea have strengthened not just their starting lineups but their squads this year. City are expected to sign Lucy Bronze and Alex Greenwood before the window closes as well.

There's no doubt though that the signings would put us firmly on the map for women's football, and should give us a real quality boost. Plus, they will definitely give us a new mental edge, and as older experienced players they'll give our young forwards like Lauren, Ella, Ivana that bit more time to develop.

Enough to turn us into champions? Hmmm, I always think we're going to defy the odds and come out on top, so yeah, why not :lol:
We could do with bringing Greenwood back here instead. Top player.

Classical Mechanic

Greenwood to City!

Lil red divil

Delighted with this news. Gotta say Casey Stoney really looks the part in the hotseat! :devil:

Andersons Dietician

Don’t really watch the US national woman’s team so thought I’d do some searching on the scouting database that is YouTube.

I see someone mentioned there was some sort of fan fiction that these two are in a relationship, I can confirm this is still going strong. I had to muddle through a tonne of videos on that subject and people micro analysing looks and passes during games to depict conflict in the relationship.

Eventually I found some stuff which mostly seems to be Heath shouting at refs, fouling woman left and right and generally being a American female Roy Keane. Is this any sort of true reflection of her character?

She seems to be screaming at people a lot and I do wonder how this competitive nature would be taken by the ladies. Seen James and Zelem get stuck in to people but none of them seem the vocal in your face type.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Eventually I found some stuff which mostly seems to be Heath shouting at refs, fouling woman left and right and generally being a American female Roy Keane. Is this any sort of true reflection of her character?
Hmmm, well she's certainly a "take no prisoners" character and that can include refs. I don't think she's got a bad history of red cards though - just the odd one.

Watching her play - she's quick witted, and she's got quick feet, which can sometimes look startling (or just lucky!) because she doesn't look like she's built for dribbling or passing trickery.

Clever passes and good control with the ball at her feet, and strong enough to fend off (and sometimes leave dents in) defenders. She's certainly got bite when she's defending or pressuring, and she's a worker, which I'm sure made Casey even keener to get her. Though she's another year older now, so I guess we wait and see on that.*

* Assuming that Tobin and Christen really are arriving, and this doesn't all ended in a massive anticlimax :lol:

Himannv

Don’t really watch the US national woman’s team so thought I’d do some searching on the scouting database that is YouTube.

I see someone mentioned there was some sort of fan fiction that these two are in a relationship, I can confirm this is still going strong. I had to muddle through a tonne of videos on that subject and people micro analysing looks and passes during games to depict conflict in the relationship.

She seems to be screaming at people a lot and I do wonder how this competitive nature would be taken by the ladies. Seen James and Zelem get stuck in to people but none of them seem the vocal in your face type.
I haven't watched US football either so I caught a bit of Tobin Heath and Christen Press on youtube like you did (had to navigate around and avoid all the Preath vids). Heath seems quite skillful on the ball and more importantly is a forward so I don't get the Keane comparison. She's physical, yes, but not some all action midfielder. They both look quality though and can play wider as well.

I think they'll be a good addition to our team in terms of quality and I think they're a level above what we have. My bigger concern is that neither of them is a midfield general or a commanding CB, which is what we seem to be lacking.

Grande

I haven't watched US football either so I caught a bit of Tobin Heath and Christen Press on youtube like you did (had to navigate around and avoid all the Preath vids). Heath seems quite skillful on the ball and more importantly is a forward so I don't get the Keane comparison. She's physical, yes, but not some all action midfielder. They both look quality though and can play wider as well.

I think they'll be a good addition to our team in terms of quality and I think they're a level above what we have. My bigger concern is that neither of them is a midfield general or a commanding CB, which is what we seem to be lacking.
I think if we’re aiming to break into top three, it’s the attacking situation that is the biggest difference. Katie Zelem, Jackie Groenen, Hayley Ladd and Lucy Staniforth is good coverage in midfield, and Abbir McManus and Millie Turneris a good CB pair.

Jane Ross and Sigsworth are not anywhere near the level of Sam Kerr and Pernille Harder, though, and Lauren James and Ella Toon need to continue improving to get there. It would also be good to take some of the pressure off Leah Galton.

Himannv

I think if we’re aiming to break into top three, it’s the attacking situation that is the biggest difference. Katie Zelem, Jackie Groenen, Hayley Ladd and Lucy Staniforth is good coverage in midfield, and Abbir McManus and Millie Turneris a good CB pair.

Jane Ross and Sigsworth are not anywhere near the level of Sam Kerr and Pernille Harder, though, and Lauren James and Ella Toon need to continue improving to get there. It would also be good to take some of the pressure off Leah Galton.
I'd personally like a more commanding player than Ladd in midfield. It'd allow Zelem and Groenen to attack more. I've not watched much of Staniforth so cannot comment.

I'd also prefer one of McManus or Turner to be more physical. They've both pacy and hardworking, but I feel as though it's a tough game for them against more physical forwards.

Grande

I'd personally like a more commanding player than Ladd in midfield. It'd allow Zelem and Groenen to attack more. I've not watched much of Staniforth so cannot comment.

I'd also prefer one of McManus or Turner to be more physical. They've both pacy and hardworking, but I feel as though it's a tough game for them against more physical forwards.
well, those are interesting takes. I thought Ladd was one of our best players last season. Zelem is the captain type creatively, still young but growing into taking all the more responsibility it seems to me. What kind of leadership do you miss in Ladd?

I see the point about being bullied somtimes for McManus and Turner. Wouldn’t you think though that shutting out that is the differnce between first and second place, while the difference between third and fourth is more about scoring more goals against the medium quality teams in particular?

Beobachter

This is interesting to me as it signifies the continuing trend of European leagues, specifically English league, to attract the best women players (I didn't know much about Press, but Heath has been a renowned name I heard pretty often while intermittently following international women football). WC is clearly the pinnacle of women football as I understand it, but there had been no clear counterpart at the club level. Now the European Champions League (of which I think Lyon is basically the women's equivalent of Real Madrid) seems like it would be just that with more players from the US, Asia, and Africa coming to established European clubs.

I haven’t kept up with the women’s game in the US in awhile but I recall there was a fascination to assume that these two are in a relationship together. Fan fiction and analysing how they’re interacting with each other seemed to be a massive talking point.
Wait what, not that there's anything wrong in them having actual relationship, but imagine making a 'fan fiction' about Rashford and Lingard, for instance :lol:

Himannv

well, those are interesting takes. I thought Ladd was one of our best players last season. Zelem is the captain type creatively, still young but growing into taking all the more responsibility it seems to me. What kind of leadership do you miss in Ladd?

I see the point about being bullied somtimes for McManus and Turner. Wouldn’t you think though that shutting out that is the differnce between first and second place, while the difference between third and fourth is more about scoring more goals against the medium quality teams in particular?
I think Ladd is quite good on the ball and I like her performances particularly in tight spaces. Her positioning is also fine for most part. My concern is physical presence. I just feel we need someone who can shield the CBs more and help us boss the midfield, hence my use of the term "general". The advantages of that kind of player are twofold; it ensures our defense isn't exposed as often, while also enabling Zelem and Groenen to operate more offensively. A little bit like how Fernandinho operated for Man City in the past, allowing KDB and Silva to focus more on creativity and unlocking teams.

Agree with you regarding those kind of changes being the difference between second and first place as opposed to fourth and third. My thinking is on how we can take the next step and become title challengers. Press and Heath are certainly good additions to the attack and necessary since we don't use James as much as I'd like and Ross and Siggy don't score enough for me. I thought Siggy was great in the Championship and I like her attitude, but I don't know if she's good enough at this level to be at the very top.

Andersons Dietician

My comparison to Keane was more for the screaming shouting, arguing and fouling people with pretty blatant hacks. Not positionally.

I don’t think we need a midfield general. CB I would agree as I never watch Millie Turner and think wow she’s great. However I don’t watch much woman’s football so I just don’t know if that’s the standard of CB and she’s actually pretty good.

Again haven’t watched the US woman’s team bar a couple of games but are they really that much better in quality? Game experience is probably a lot better but and I know I’m basically a James fan boy at this point but talent wise reckon she’d walk in to any team I’ve seen Including internationals. Just needs to up the experience and decisions/effort she puts in on the pitch.

Himannv

Again haven’t watched the US woman’s team bar a couple of games but are they really that much better in quality? Game experience is probably a lot better but and I know I’m basically a James fan boy at this point but talent wise reckon she’d walk in to any team I’ve seen Including internationals. Just needs to up the experience and decisions/effort she puts in on the pitch.
Personally I'd start James up front and Heath and Tobin on either side if it was up to me, with Galton rotating in for either James or whoever plays on the left. I thought James was fantastic in that role against Chelsea in the cup last season. Lot of quality on the ball + a lot of pace as well.

I'm actually unsure why she doesn't start more often. Fitness seems like the only reason that I can think of. Quality-wise, I'd start her ahead of Siggy. Ross is a backup striker by my reckoning.

Gordon S

Personally I'd start James up front and Heath and Tobin on either side if it was up to me, with Galton rotating in for either James or whoever plays on the left. I thought James was fantastic in that role against Chelsea in the cup last season. Lot of quality on the ball + a lot of pace as well.

I'm actually unsure why she doesn't start more often. Fitness seems like the only reason that I can think of. Quality-wise, I'd start her ahead of Siggy. Ross is a backup striker by my reckoning.
Lauren will most likely get more and more gametime, she is still only 18 and had some injuryproblems as well. They are probably being careful with her