6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Welbeckham

Quiet game from him, but still put in a good shift. Against smaller sides, I’d expect more from him offensively.

I’m not sure his role will (or should) be this big all season, but it’s way too early to judge anyways. Interesting to see how Casemiro coming in will change things.

Sylar

Think hes going to be really useful in games where we will see more of the ball, and teams will try sit back to stop the pace of our players. His passing is really good and think that will benefit our strikers.

SalfordTED

No legs
looked like he was running in treacle
I was at the game and in a low seat close to the pitch, he stood out a mile as not being at the physical level of every other player on the pitch.
I was amazed how long it took for ETH too hook him.

gibs0nic

Supports
united and barcelona
We just signed him, give him a few more matches. He's a GREAT #10 or #8. In a 4-3-3 with Eriksen, Fred and Casimiro on the midfield it will be an excellent trio.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Is he any better than Juan Mata? Both technically brilliant but physically shot.

Bobski

We just signed him, give him a few more matches. He's a GREAT #10 or #8. In a 4-3-3 with Eriksen, Fred and Casimiro on the midfield it will be an excellent trio.
He WAS, a very good to excellent number 10 or 8 3-4 years ago, 2018/19 was his last high quality club season. Nice cameo spell at Brentford after a, at best, average run at Inter, but no-one should be expecting prime Eriksen at this stage.

He and Donny should be pushing each other for game time.

gibs0nic

Supports
united and barcelona
He WAS, a very good to excellent number 10 or 8 3-4 years ago
I have some good news for you then. You will be surprised how good he is at holding and distributing the ball. Top notch passes. He just turned 30, he will have at least three more great years. As long as he's not used as a false nine like in the first game, he will make a big difference. It must have been a brain fart to use him as a false nine.

Chip

As others have pointed out, I think he'll be more valuable in games where we dominate possession and look to break down "low block" teams. Very high intensity games like the Liverpool match is probably not where he's best - at least not at his current fitness level. But he didn't have a bad game yesterday.

LFG

He WAS, a very good to excellent number 10 or 8 3-4 years ago, 2018/19 was his last high quality club season. Nice cameo spell at Brentford after a, at best, average run at Inter, but no-one should be expecting prime Eriksen at this stage.

He and Donny should be pushing each other for game time.
I think this is debatable. Context is important. He basically hasn't played in a true 10 role since Spurs, outside of with Denmark. People point to a dip in form his last year with them, but it was really a result of him not playing as much because he made it public that he wouldn't re-sign with Spurs and thus didn't start as frequently. At Inter he wasn't a Conte buy (he doesn't play with a 10), so the slow start was both moving to a new country/league but also playing an entirely new role. If you look at their title run he was a starter and made an impact for the second half of that season once he knew how Conte wanted him to play. Him not putting up 10 numbers in a much deeper role does not equal no longer in his prime.. How many deep lying midfielders are putting up the same numbers as 10's? Let's be realistic and compare him to the position he is actually playing..

Olecurls99

No legs
looked like he was running in treacle
I was at the game and in a low seat close to the pitch, he stood out a mile as not being at the physical level of every other player on the pitch.
I was amazed how long it took for ETH too hook him.
Was his pass to Elanga through treacle as well? I don't remember Paul Scholes being grease lightning.

Real Name

When will the cliches about him being the same as Mata or having no legs stop. Its like people put some thought in their heads and go with it no matter what.

Real Name

Don't get the bit of negativity in here.

He was never a physical player. He compensates by doing a lot of hard work to help his teammates double up on wingers, cut passing lanes and so.
In addition, he rarely give the ball away, and keeps the pace of our play up. He doesn't stand still with 5-10 touches before letting it go, as we have seen Pogba do for years while dragging out any tempo in our buildup play.

He offers himself to set up players with the third or second last pass before a goal chance.
A perfect example was Sanchos goal last night. Moments before the goal he recieves the ball in a good position, but doesn't do to well to play the chance bigger or try a shot. Ends up passing the ball up instead of trying something impossible. Seconds later he ends up playing Elanga through with a very well-weighted pass that sends Elanga past the defensive line and in a good position to play the ball to Sancho who scores.

He will not get a ton of assists and goals for us while playing this deep, but he will help with building attacks and keeping control when on the ball.
Exactly. I keep reading about him being shot apparently and not running. He's a sort of player who doesnt need to run as much but its all about positioning, offering himself for a pass, keep the team clicking with quick passes with 2 touches at the most and clever passing all around.

Thiagoal

He showed in his performance against us last season for Brentford, that he still has incredible ability and indeed the legs needed for Premiership football. I suspect he’ll need longer than most though to get match fit and reach peak fitness and sharpness

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is adapting to the CM position. His energy levels are fantastic.

SalfordTED

Exactly. I keep reading about him being shot apparently and not running. He's a sort of player who doesnt need to run as much but its all about positioning, offering himself for a pass, keep the team clicking with quick passes with 2 touches at the most and clever passing all around.
He stuck out like a sore thumb against Liverpool as the only player who laboured when trying to sprint.

If he doesnt need to run like you say, then why did he keep running all game but slowly ?

Real Name

He stuck out like a sore thumb against Liverpool as the only player who laboured when trying to sprint.

If he doesnt need to run like you say, then why did he keep running all game but slowly ?
Cause as I said he doesnt have to run so much.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
When will the cliches about him being the same as Mata or having no legs stop. Its like people put some thought in their heads and go with it no matter what.
Yes it’s nonsense. He’s just turned 30. He just needs to catch up his fitness a little as he started later. Personally I think we’ve got a very good player for free

Real Name

ETH obviously pulled him off because he couldn't run for any longer and you are suggesting he should run less, interesting
I'm not saying he's in top form at the moment. He didnt do preseason and needs some work to get up to fitness. What I'm saying is that his position and his style means he doesnt have to run around so much. Remember how Scholes used to operate?

Highfather_24

Legs gone? I read that he covered the most kilometres out of all the players in the first 2 games.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Aye, nothing wrong with his energy levels/work rate so far at all - yeah he got tired at the end of the Liverpool game but so did pretty much everyone bar Bruno.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
As with the rest of our midfielders, he will benefit from having a dedicated DM in Casemiro behind him. Which isnt to say he has been bad at all.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
really really disappointed in his effort today. walked around the pitch and gave less defensively than rashford.

He can’t just keep dangling a foot out and letting players run past him with ease.

Abraxas

For me that's two in a row where he's had quite a promising first half, showing his range of passing and being available, only to fade into complete obscurity in the second. Hopefully he still has the fitness and legs to do full matches.

The United

I have a hard time seeing what this guy brings in general so far. He has, of course, a good passing and crossing range, but playing at 6 like that at times, I think Donny would not do worse.

Telsim

He was excellent in the first half, but evident he can't play more than 60 minutes.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thought our best non-defender in the first half. Only one of them who looked like making anything happen.

Not a great a second half though

Rockets Redglare

I have a hard time seeing what this guy brings in general so far. He has, of course, a good passing and crossing range, but playing at 6 like that at times, I think Donny would not do worse.
Oh come on now, have you see Donny? He avoids the ball at all costs and whenever he does get it he passes it sideways as quickly as humanly possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.