6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace of Spades

Yeah, we got a good deal for free but his best position is as a 10, we still need a CM to partner Casemiro.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Horrible horrible performance. Worth a 1 this game. Shocking stuff.

Dominos

I didn't fancy him in CM when he joined but he won me over over the last few games.

Today's game made me think my initial doubts were legitimate. There needs to be a level of physicality, combativeness and defensive awareness in that deep lying midfield role which he's always going to be lacking.

What surprised everyone most is how bad he passed the ball, he's meant to be our best retention player. He really did have a shocker.

Certainly he'll do a good job in some games but in matches where we need defensive responsibility he may need to be moved up the pitch or out the team.

Red00012

Shocking today but it’s not a position he’s used to and throw in one of the best sides in Europe and it won’t end well

el3mel

The persistence on playing him every game even if it means putting him out of position is going to ruin our season.

It's fine to bench him in some games if the correct tactical setup warrants it.

What's it with every manager having the "my X shall always play" kind of mentality? I don't get it.

Lyng

The persistence on playing him every game even if it means putting him out of position is going to ruin our season.

What's it with every manager having the "my X shall always play" kind of mentality? I don't get it.
Why the feck would you bench him when he still is the one creating things. If anything we should move him to the 10 spot and bench Bruno in matches like these.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

He didn’t play out of position today

Dominos

What shocked me is ETH left him on the pitch for the full game, and only moved him higher up very late in the game.

He should have been the first player off at half time for Casemiro or move him higher up the pitch at half time.

kundalini

Eriksen is out of his depth defensively in CM. He makes so many basic errors. No idea why he didn't stay with Foden for City's 1st goal. Miserable attempt to block Haaland at the corner for their 3rd. Passing wasn't up to his usual standard.

Irwin99

Dreadful performance. Obviously we wanted him to be composed and recycle possession and create chances which he's been great at this season but it just felt as though he was bypassed by their midfield so easily. As Keane said he had to take the City player out for that 4th goal, take a yellow card for the team, especially coming up to half time, and it really annoyed me that he didn't.

I always felt Sir Alex used to pick Scholes and Giggs in their later careers more for specific games and I hope we'll do that with Eriksen, especially in the big games.

Trequarista10

He's more than capable in CM in the vast majority of games.

Away at City is not one of those games.

LFG

He has never been good defensively throughout his career. Not sure why anyone was surprised that it was exposed against the current best team in the world. He is an offensive player (though he was bad at that as well today) so expecting anything else will always lead to disappointment.

Drizzle

Today called for a dogged Casemiro & McTominay shield in front of the defence. Having both Eriksen and Bruno there was laudably ambitious but asking for trouble.

He's more than capable in CM in the vast majority of games.
Away at City is not one of those games
Exactly. McT/Erksen/Bruno is a good midfield at moving the ball nicely but it's not particularly balanced or solid. It's much too slow for a start.

Real Name

Today called for a dogged Casemiro & McTominay shield in front of the defence. Having both Eriksen and Bruno there was laudably ambitious but asking for trouble.

Exactly. McT/Erksen/Bruno is a good midfield at moving the ball nicely but it's not particularly balanced or solid. It's much too slow for a start.
Yeah, probably should have started with Casemiro, McTominay and Eriksen or Bruno.

Skills

Snitch
Forget the defensive weakness for now, you can't have a CM who makes just 75% of his passes. That's abysmal.

Pogba at his worst still comfortably made over 80% of passes. Fred makes over 80% of his passes. Fred - who's famously careless with the ball.

Ekeke

I like him. I was very happy with us signing him

Against Arsenal he was the best player on the pitch

However. The rest of the games including City he's been dissappointing for me. No effect defensively, doesnt keep the ball as well as he should and not even half as good as he was against Arsenal.

Big improvement needed if he's going to play weekly in that position

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's exactly what we thought when we signed him.

He'll be a great addition for the most part, but against the absolute best he'll probably be second best.

I bare no grudge against the guy for having a stinker against City playing next to McTominay.

Greck

That setup screamed situational and it's not only because of City being OP. It was equally as suspect against one of the smaller teams, can't remember which. Difference ever since is we've been playing deeper. Pushing up the risk slides across a scale of manageable to critical the better our opponent. Pretty much deploy situationally. Eriksen can't defend huge acres of land with only one midfield partner. Even Casemiro alone won't be enough to stop our backline getting overwhelmed.

Last edited:

The Dane

He did not play well today, no one in a red shirt did, but give the man a break, he is still a massive improvement to this team and his creativity and passing ability will make the difference in many games this season, but away against a highly motivated City team playing as a CM is not where he will shine.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Fred is easy to press out of possession and has no creativity. No point in using him ahead of Eriksen.
By this comment you basically said you don't understand football.

Fred is as press resistant or better than Eriksen. He's got decent dribbling ability in tight spaces, nothing like Eriksen who is a superb passer but don't turn with the ball sharp enough. The problem is neither of the players are no 6. Which can result in a odd bad pass in a bad area. Showed by both Eriksen and Fred before, as well as McTominay.

As for the creativity Fred playing last year as a no8 showed he can score goals and assist. He only creates chances different way, by constantly being on the move making good runs and winning the ball high up the pitch which resulted in many clear-cut chances before. But blind people will overlook this fact and justt want every midfielder to be Carrick-style passer.

Football has moved from then and what we lack is legs in midfield then ever. Eriksen was a good buy and brings quality on the ball but eventually we will have to move on from him because he's not dynamic enough. Perhaps as a 10 he could be more useful than for two seasons poor Bruno. Then we can easily add Casemiro as a protection and Fred finally playing his best position where he had many MOTM performances against big sides as well.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Today called for Casemiro Fred and Mctominah in MF. Then a quick front three to counter.

I just knew we would be over run in MF.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Great addition to the squad especially for free, and even I am pleasantly surprised he's off use but there are deficiancies in his game which will slow our progress. He's really slow and not very press resistant, defensive contribution is also low with not much pressing from him. That means that while he's great passer and good in slower games he will struggle in big games where teams press us hard and that's something which more and more teams understand now and we will have problems with that. Football is more athletic than before and won't stop here.

That being said would like to see Eriksen as a no10 instead of Fernandes and see what he can do there.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Today called for Casemiro Fred and Mctominah in MF. Then a quick front three to counter.

Maybe Bruno or Eriksen in place of Scotty. This midfield was always going to be overrun against Mancity.

Ceteris

Is it me or did he look jaded playing all the international games and then today. Maybe it's time for him to consider hanging up his international boots?

Trex

Games like this is why ETH wanted Frenkie, Eriksen is a good player but he isn't your Xavi who is a the thick of things more your iniesta adding creativity, he can play this role against less dangerous opponent but against City he simply can't keep up. This was were the game was lost in my opinion.

Lyng

Games like these we need him in the 10 role instead of CM. Fred - Casemiro with Eriksen in front and Bruno on the bench and we would have looked much better.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Forget the defensive weakness for now, you can't have a CM who makes just 75% of his passes. That's abysmal.

Pogba at his worst still comfortably made over 80% of passes. Fred makes over 80% of his passes. Fred - who's famously careless with the ball.
It's an atrocious midfield from a profiling perspective. We have McTominay who averages bang average percentiles for average touches and passes per 90, and then we have two players in Eriksen and Fernandes who are awful with retaining possession as they're both medium-to-long-range passers with low passing percentages.

Lots of little things that make big issues.

flappyjay

It was obvious. We were never going to outplay them so we needed to be more physical. That's how Ole used to beat them. We are not at a point where we can outplay a team like City.

Status
Not open for further replies.