Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin99

Very good first half.

Surprised he gets a fair bit of criticism as I think he's had a good first season here and is a quality squad player. Getting an upgrade in the summer to go alongside Casemiro and Bruno and using Eriksen in games he's suited to will help us a lot going forward.

Sylar

I might be looking a cow in the ass in saying this, but we took off a guy finding red shirts at 90% for Fred who looked like he was playing for Tottenham. Maybe it was fitness related, but it certainly didn't help us get control of the game or make us more competitive as intended. If Eriksen's legs were struggling then I get the idea of Fred to run around, but it just didn't work.

I think we would have had a few more opportunities to kill Tottenham on the break if his distribution was there.
He set up the Bruno chance right? I think we basically lost the middle when he went off and it was compounded by having Weghorst take Brunos spot meaning we had nothing in the middle nor the right. So basically we lost control of any chance of keeping the ball and creating chances (and it all felt rather weird and inevitable to what was going to happen)

croadyman

We are totally crying out for playmaker in the summer who has that quality on the ball,ideally they are able to progress it through midfield.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The story of his season.
Indeed. But it’s not just that - it’s also the story of this team that once teams press us and up the intensity we cant handle it and cave. You’d think that Eriksen would be one of the players to relieve that pressure but he’s not very physical and hence we need more technical players who are also more athletic.

croadyman

Indeed. But it’s not just that - it’s also the story of this team that once teams press us and up the intensity we cant handle it and cave. You’d think that Eriksen would be one of the players to relieve that pressure but he’s not very physical and hence we need more technical players who are also more athletic.
The technical level is this team sorely lacking

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The technical level is this team sorely lacking
My worry is how we go about changing it. I feel like every signing this summer needs to be capable of possession footy otherwise we’ll continue to be able to do it only when allowed by the opponent.

croadyman

My worry is how we go about changing it. I feel like every signing this summer needs to be capable of possession footy otherwise we’ll continue to be able to do it only when allowed by the opponent.
We need to find players who are technically sound but also press resistant which isn't easy

Ace of Spades

I might be looking a cow in the ass in saying this, but we took off a guy finding red shirts at 90% for Fred who looked like he was playing for Tottenham. Maybe it was fitness related, but it certainly didn't help us get control of the game or make us more competitive as intended. If Eriksen's legs were struggling then I get the idea of Fred to run around, but it just didn't work.

I think we would have had a few more opportunities to kill Tottenham on the break if his distribution was there.
He can only pass when we have the ball. I can't remember if we even got a touch before their first goal.

The problem was not the sub, it is the fact that our bench is very poor.

Ace of Spades

We need to find players who are technically sound but also press resistant which isn't easy
i mean we can give players like Mainoo or Iqbal more of a chance, but when the same player who we know have been poor and unreliable keep getting chances, don't expect any different results.

El Jefe

Yup this game summed up Eriksen and our midfield with him in it.

If you back off and let him be comfortable, he'll control the tempo of the game. Once the intensity of the other goes up and they look to play on the front foot and with physicality he disappears.

One of the biggest flaws of our starting midfield of Eriksen Casemiro and Bruno is none of them are press resistant or can drive with the ball through the middle. It means they try and give up the ball quickly when pressed and this leads to sloppy passes or getting caught in possession.

Bruno and Casemiro (until recently) can at least deal with the fast pace of the game, but Eriksen moves like a 37yo Scholes.

He really shouldn't be starting from next season in my opinion.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Obviously it didn't work in this particular game as Fred had one of his shockers, but it's worked previously and I expect it'll work again in the future. Eriksen just tends to struggle more and more as the match wears on, and we'd already completely lost control before we subbed him off. Normally Fred coming on at that stage to give us an injection of intensity and energy is what we need (at least from our current options).

croadyman

i mean we can give players like Mainoo or Iqbal more of a chance, but when the same player who we know have been poor and unreliable keep getting chances, don't expect any different results.
Yeah he is clearly reluctant to try them

The United

The guy's inability to last more than 45 minutes or 60 minutes, if we're being generous, can be a significant tactical issue in the long run for us because we'll have to waste a sub on there on a regular basis. Not to mention that the other teams would know exactly how to adapt that.

Thiagoal

I thought his general play was really good today! Without him our composure just evaporates! Granted, his attacking play was well below par

Sylar

I am so surprised he didn't come on second half, especially if the aim was to just see out the draw. Putting rashford up top, Bruno with a freer role, eriksen could have come on instead of wout just to get more bodies into the middle and try keep the ball

Red Star One

I wished our squad players were a bit younger lads with much more motivation, drive, and energy to play more than 60 minutes a game, even if they were technically slightly inferior.

Sylar

I wished our squad players were a bit younger lads with much more motivation, drive, and energy to play more than 60 minutes a game, even if they were technically slightly inferior.
TBF, i think the only reason we ended up with Eriksen is because he was free. If that wasnt an option, we probably would be even worse in the middle.

Mike Smalling

I am so surprised he didn't come on second half, especially if the aim was to just see out the draw. Putting rashford up top, Bruno with a freer role, eriksen could have come on instead of wout just to get more bodies into the middle and try keep the ball
Agree. We couldn't keep the ball, and that is one thing Eriksen is very good at.

flappyjay

When he can't get on the ball we are in trouble as he doesn't offer anything else.

Sylar

I noticed a few times when he got the ball deep he was looking to pass it forward and there was no movement. Obviously didn't help he had ww instead of Bruno, which usually works.

We handicapped our team to try fit in ww. It seemed to affect eriksen

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He's done well for us on the whole, but really needs to be phased into being a squad player who mainly plays the easier/home games.

A proper first choice midfielder is probably third priority after a striker and keeper for me.

Irwin99

Didn't think he was good but the movement ahead of him was wretched. Players just standing still, expecting another teammate to do something.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s genuinely useless off the ball. He can’t be a no.8 in a two man midfield against most of the PL quality midfields.

Redderp

He is just not a CM in a two man midfield. Look at how he plays for Denmark. Always in a midfield 3 alongside players like Delaney(DM) and Højbjerg (CM). 4-3-3 or 5-3-2. He always have defensive players to back him up. Defensively he is part of the front four who press. That’s why he is clueless defensively cause he never played in a midfield 2.

He should either be used in a midfield 3 or be benched. I have no idea why we never tried Casemiro, Fred/McTominay and Eriksen.

It’s mind boggling that we still use him in a midfield 2.

El Jefe

He sums up our home and away form. Good when its easy and disappears when the going gets tough away from home.

He plays like he's five years older than he really is. Extremely slow and weak.

Redderp

He sums up our home and away form. Good when its easy and disappears when the going gets tough away from home.

He plays like he's five years older than he really is. Extremely slow and weak.
He plays the same as when he was younger. He has always been slow and weak. Ask any Spurs fan. He is a CAM. He just comes deep to get the ball that’s why people think he is a CM. Spurs always had two midfielders behind him. Dembele, Wanyama, Dier, Sissoko. Eriksen was the link between them and players like Kane, Alli and Son.

I watch our games on Danish television and everyone is always wondering why he i playing in CM. Even our national team manager Kasper Hjulmand and Brentfords manager Thomas Frank have said that they wouldn’t use Eriksen there.

Idxomer

He’s genuinely useless off the ball. He can’t be a no.8 in a two man midfield against most of the PL quality midfields.
I can't believe how long it worked but yeah he's a liability.

Regardless, I hate we still play with 2 man midfield after all those years.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Games like this and Brighton, him being a hindrance is expected. He's as bad under pressure as Casemiro and you need to be strong on the ball to cope in away games where the opposition will come at you. West Ham aren't as imposing as Brighton, sure, but on a tight pitch like theirs facing someone as agile as Rice was always going to be problematic for two old, slow, weak players in Casemiro and Eriksen.

At home to Wolves is where you expect them to have an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.