6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GMoore23

Thanks, mate! I haven't gone after anyone. It's people who have a problem with me calling him overrated.

There you go, mate. He's terrible under pressure, and why I was against signing him.

We need press resistant players. We already have too many lightweight ones.
His legs are gone and he's essentially a like for like replacement for a 34 year old Mata.
The Brentford manager and players new him best and they exploited him all game.

Bwuk

Why is he playing DM honestly.

Look at the top 2 sides DMs, Fabinho & Rodri. On top of ability on the ball, they also have the size and physicality to drop into the CBs and make a 3.

Ridiculous.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why is he playing DM honestly.

Look at the top 2 sides DMs, Fabinho & Rodri. On top of ability on the ball, they also have the size and physicality to drop into the CBs and make a 3.

Ridiculous.
Who should he have played there?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He’s not a central midfielder and it shows. So why are we fecking playing him there?! Our three news signings show a worrying lack of judgement from ETH in terms of what this squad actually needed. For which I only partially blame the manager. The absolute dullards in charge of the footballing side of things at the club simply have no clue about the strengths and weaknesses within the squad. They’ve shown this time and time again by offering lucrative new contracts players we should be replacing. Absolute madness.

SalfordTED

Eriksen struggled to get into the Inter team and was rumoured to be going to Hertha Berlin, the Italian media slated him, not exactly a great signing, unless you take into consideration he was free of charge.

September 2020

All the main Italian media outlets are unanimous in their criticism of the performance of Danish midfielder Christian Eriksen in Inter’s thrilling 4-3 win over Fiorentina yesterday.

Passioneinter gave the former Spurs midfielder a 5 rating, highlighting how the player still looks invisible despite coach Antonio Conte changing the formation to better suit him.

Whilst he made mistakes, he did help score the Nerazzurri’s second goal with a nice touch for Lautaro Martinez.

Milano based newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport gave Eriksen a 4.5 rating, commenting on how the player wasted his opportunities and did not work hard enough in the defensive aspect of the game.

Eriksen earnt a 5 rating from Rome based newspaper Corriere dello Sport, who also highlighted how the Dane looked completely out of his element in the Nerazzurri squad and did not manage to show any of his qualities.

Finally, a report from Turin based newspaper Tuttosport gave Eriksen a 5 rating, noting that the Viola’s first goal comes from his mistake and how he never recovered after Chiesa’s goal to make it 3-2.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Eriksen struggled to get into the Inter team and was rumoured to be going to Hertha Berlin, the Italian media slated him, not exactly a great signing, unless you take into consideration he was free of charge.

September 2020

All the main Italian media outlets are unanimous in their criticism of the performance of Danish midfielder Christian Eriksen in Inter’s thrilling 4-3 win over Fiorentina yesterday.

Passioneinter gave the former Spurs midfielder a 5 rating, highlighting how the player still looks invisible despite coach Antonio Conte changing the formation to better suit him.

Whilst he made mistakes, he did help score the Nerazzurri’s second goal with a nice touch for Lautaro Martinez.

Milano based newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport gave Eriksen a 4.5 rating, commenting on how the player wasted his opportunities and did not work hard enough in the defensive aspect of the game.

Eriksen earnt a 5 rating from Rome based newspaper Corriere dello Sport, who also highlighted how the Dane looked completely out of his element in the Nerazzurri squad and did not manage to show any of his qualities.

Finally, a report from Turin based newspaper Tuttosport gave Eriksen a 5 rating, noting that the Viola’s first goal comes from his mistake and how he never recovered after Chiesa’s goal to make it 3-2.
Now tell the rest of the story where he did force his way into the team and became a key player in their title run.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's an 8. But we don't have a DLP or a DM which is down to our shit recruitment. Whether it's Fred or Erikson the mistakes keep coming. And a GK who can't pass doesn't help.

AndyMUFC

I mean he was played hospital passes by his teammates yesterday to be fair to him. Can see why we want him to play there, we have nobody to take the ball off the back four. It's the role we want De Jong to play.

Moonwalker

He absolutely is a central midfielder. This is what he mostly played for Brentford (9 out of his 11 games). This is what he mostly played at Inter (19 out of 34 games). He also played 15 games there in his final season at Tottenham.

The days of him playing attacking midfielder like he did at Ajax or early in his Spurs career are long gone, and a fortiori for him playing on the wing.

Bobski

He should really be a squad rotation player and not be in the running to be a key starter, but such is the standard of the squad he may end up being one.

Lyng

Even if it was Kimmich playing yesterday we would loose with the utter travesty that is Maguire, Shaw, Dalot and De Gea.
The two idiotic passes from our captain and so-called world class keeper destroyed the game.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I still firmly believe it was a very smart move to get him with Pogba&Mata leaving and Bruno looking like he can't get the basics right.

However, the way Eriksen has been utilised so far is mind boggling. Might as well try him as RB. Bizarre and worrying.

aj020

Supports
ajax
I’ve followed Eriksen since his debut at Ajax as a supporter of that club. So I also know Ten Hag really good.

I think his plan was to use him the same as Lasse Schone. A more attacking player as the 6 so the build up goes better. Although Eriksen is a better player than Schone he is way more intuitive (for that position a dangerous mindset). Schone has a stronger body and could turn away easily from his marker under pressure. Eriksen is not so good in turning away so he has to see everything really quick in order to play forward. He had a habbit in playing backwards duo to him not turning away easily. That comes even more to light as a number 6. He has to feel free and play on intuition. Then he gives great through balls and can feint his opponent because there are 2 controlled midfielders watching his back. His best asset imo is that as soon as he doesn’t have time to think he gives passes that no one sees. With time on the ball he’s more passive but in a fast combination his brain reacts unbelievable fast. As a 10 with 2 behind him or as left/right cm with a 6 behind him and the other cm less attacking he is at his best.

Must say that i watched him at Inter and he was very weak. He played too many backpasses and didn’t raised the tempo that even his teammates where shaking their head. Then he pulled a fantastic pass out of nothing but overall he was not at the same level of a Brocovic for instance. His lack of success was not because of the trainer but himself didn’t take to many risks/adventures. Never saw the same Eriksen as at Tottenham and Ajax

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Playing Eriksen in such a deep role and asking him to be the first man to receive the ball from the defenders when playing out of the back is just crazy. Ten Hag seems to have completely underestimated the physical qualities you need in that position, both with and without the ball. In possession that player needs to be able to ride challenges and play with a man on his back, you're frequently not going to have the space and time to turn freely. Out of possession that player needs to have the anticipation, quickness, and physicality to win a lot of second balls and counter-pressing duels if you're going to be a pressing team yourself.

You look at the physical profile of the DMs that play for other top six 4-3-3 teams - Rodri, Fabinho, Partey - its a completely different player. Just like their CBs are a completely different physical profile to Lisandro Martinez. You need these more dominant athletes in the spine of your team. Improving the technical level of the side is important but not at the expense of having an adequate level of physical and athletic competitiveness in key areas.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Playing Eriksen in such a deep role and asking him to be the first man to receive the ball from the defenders when playing out of the back is just crazy. Ten Hag seems to have completely underestimated the physical qualities you need in that position, both with and without the ball. In possession that player needs to be able to ride challenges and play with a man on his back, you're frequently not going to have the space and time to turn freely. Out of possession that player needs to have the anticipation, quickness, and physicality to win a lot of second balls and counter-pressing duels if you're going to be a pressing team yourself.

You look at the physical profile of the DMs that play for other top six 4-3-3 teams - Rodri, Fabinho, Partey - its a completely different player. Just like their CBs are a completely different physical profile to Lisandro Martinez. You need these more dominant athletes in the spine of your team. Improving the technical level of the side is important but not at the expense of having an adequate level of physical and athletic competitiveness in key areas.
That's not true. He's playing in what basically is the FDJ role, someone who is even less physical to Eriksen. Eriksen is just not used to that role yet. If he gets used to the role and still has some pace left combined with his dribbling ability he'll be fine. That's all he needs to create some space after getting the ball to do some playmaking magic. But hopefully he won't need to and FDJ joins us soon:D

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I keep seeing Eriksen nominated as a CM in all the discussions about Casemiro? What’s that all about? Has he EVER played that position before he signed for us? Because when he did play that position for us he wasn’t very good. Still don’t understand why we signed this bloke if he isn’t going to play Bruno’s position…

Lyng

I keep seeing Eriksen nominated as a CM in all the discussions about Casemiro? What’s that all about? Has he EVER played that position before he signed for us? Because when he did play that position for us he wasn’t very good. Still don’t understand why we signed this bloke if he isn’t going to play Bruno’s position…
He played a deeper role for Brentford with success. He has the tools for a deeper playmaker. What he doesnt have is any defensive quality which is why a combo of him and Casemiro might be very good.

I would, however, still probably go for Casemiro and Donnie or Fred as the central midfield and then play Eriksen in the 10 role where he is best.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He played a deeper role for Brentford with success. He has the tools for a deeper playmaker. What he doesnt have is any defensive quality which is why a combo of him and Casemiro might be very good.

I would, however, still probably go for Casemiro and Donnie or Fred as the central midfield and then play Eriksen in the 10 role where he is best.
That’s interesting. I assumed he was a number 10 for them. I barely watched them but he seemed to be very advanced whenever I did.

If we sign Casemiro we surely have to play him and Fred, as they already play together for Brazil. Assuming we play three in midfield then maybe Eriksen gets that third slot?

Lyng

That’s interesting. I assumed he was a number 10 for them. I barely watched them but he seemed to be very advanced whenever I did.

If we sign Casemiro we surely have to play him and Fred, as they already play together for Brazil. Assuming we play three in midfield then maybe Eriksen gets that third slot?
I think that would probably work well. Fred is usually very good for Brazil and that is when he is playing with Casemiro.
I do, however, think we will need to play Eriksen in front of them. We will need someone who can keep the ball rolling and dictate the offence, and I am not convinced Bruno is that player honestly.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Even though he is in old money a #10, he can play in a midfield pairing just like KDB or Modric do.

Also sometimes the more creative player in a double pivot begins the build up and then moves higher up the pitch

With time I'm sure Eriksen will improve in this aspect however DDG will remain the bottleneck to success against the best pressing teams.

ROFLUTION

Deep is probably not the word I’d use but more like an CM or a LCM/RCM with usually a player or two behind him (sometimes changing). He did more dirty work at Brentford than at Spurs, but deeper role makes it sound as if he was a defensive midfielder or played deep like Pirlo.

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

I would play Casemiro + Fred to begin with and then change Eriksen with Fred halftime if goals are needed. Bruno as amc (his best performances have come from that, and his ceiling is higher than Eriksen)

To begin with we just need stability in front of our terrible defence with Casemiro-Fred. After we’ve reached stability and learned to play out under pressure, you can always build and try Eriksen-casemiro-bruno. But safety first, in our current state.

Highfather_24

Brentford play with 3 at the back, and had Eriksen playing in a midfield with 2 deeper to him. So he was extremely well protected.

Eriksen was #21.

ForeverRed1

Even though he is in old money a #10, he can play in a midfield pairing just like KDB or Modric do.

Also sometimes the more creative player in a double pivot begins the build up and then moves higher up the pitch

With time I'm sure Eriksen will improve in this aspect however DDG will remain the bottleneck to success against the best pressing teams.
what about giving Martinez a go as a dm?i know ETH has stated he’s a central defender but I’m not convinced about him as a CD in this league right now, teams have even come out and said they are targeting him specifically with Ariel threat. Him and Casemiro would be pretty physical and with Martinez being so good with the ball and his passing range, no reason it couldn’t work? Can’t be worse than mcfred? push Bruno slightly out to the right where himself and Eriksen can switch between the two? Eriksen is better further up the pitch imo, that’s where he can use what he is good at (creativity) Defences would find them two on Song pretty tricky to deal with, especially if they learn to click together. Sancho on left where he is better and Ronaldo infront. (Or whatever striker we manage to get instead)

need a new rw so used meunière as a example.

Meunière Varane Maguire (or whoever) Malacia

Casemiro. Martinez

Bruno. Eriksen. Sancho

Ronaldo (or whoever)

Lyng

Deep is probably not the word I’d use but more like an CM or a LCM/RCM with usually a player or two behind him (sometimes changing). He did more dirty work at Brentford than at Spurs, but deeper role makes it sound as if he was a defensive midfielder or played deep like Pirlo.
Yeah I meant more of a CM than a attacking midfielder.

AgentSmith

Casemiro
Eriksen - Fred​

has to be the starting midfield, with the potential to upgrade Fred if the budget allows.

Bruno needs to be treated more like a forward, particularly in bigger games, or benched. Eriksen's quality and consistency on the ball will be needed to balance out what would otherwise be far too blunt a midfield.

Olecurls99

Casemiro
Eriksen - Fred​

has to be the starting midfield, with the potential to upgrade Fred if the budget allows.

Bruno needs to be treated more like a forward, particularly in bigger games, or benched. Eriksen's quality and consistency on the ball will be needed to balance out what would otherwise be far too blunt a midfield.
Yep, completely agree. Bruno just isn't good enough in possesion for a Teny midfield. Like you say he can sink or swim as a forward now.

CM

He's capable of doing it in a 3 if the third man is Fred but if people think we should be playing Eriksen in a 2 man midfield or Fernandes as the third then forget about it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

That is true, with emphasis on "sometimes". I really don't understand the benefit of playing Eriksen so deep.
First of all, there is no doubt he's actually more useful higher up the pitch.
Second of all, as proven multiple times, and mentioned by @ROFLUTION and @Highfather_24 and many other probably, he always played for Brentford with two supporting midfieders. Bruno is not a midfielder and definitely not supporting anything.

If we want to have an actual midfield, we should play Casemiro and Fred, a setup which already works for Brazil. Eriksen is by far the best suited player to take that third spot under ETH regime, whether that is as AM or RM slightly deeper (this is my preferred choice). I just don't get that obsession of putting attacking players in midfield, IMO the bad of this solution outweigh the good and by quite some distance.

Idxomer

Brentford play with 3 at the back, and had Eriksen playing in a midfield with 2 deeper to him. So he was extremely well protected.

Eriksen was #21.
Yep.

His highlights showed him picking the ball from deep a lot which gave the feeling he wasn't playing much as an attacking midfielder. The reality is most of his actions were in similar areas to Bruno's and his heatmap showed the same.

Greck

Eriksen was #21.
So said deeper role had him as the 3rd most advanced player. I never watched Brentford but from the first couple games it was obvious it was meaningless without context. It's not a natural fit at all. He can drop deeper but you can't play him there as his base position. Failing to appreciate the difference will result in more 0-4 scorelines even when the team doesn't play garbage. It was always nonsense. The other two midfielders would have to be Kante 1 and Kante 2.

Last edited:

aj020

Supports
ajax
That's not true. He's playing in what basically is the FDJ role, someone who is even less physical to Eriksen. Eriksen is just not used to that role yet. If he gets used to the role and still has some pace left combined with his dribbling ability he'll be fine. That's all he needs to create some space after getting the ball to do some playmaking magic. But hopefully he won't need to and FDJ joins us soon:D
FDJ is way more physical than Eriksen. His body balance is amazing. Never falls on the ground during a dribble with people trying to pull him down.

For that position Eriksen is too intuitive and not fantastic on press resistance. Needs that free mindset to create with knowing people covering his grounds. He is good at giving unexpected through balls and has a deadly shot. Off course he can grow into it but eventually he will make huge mistakes again because it’s not in his dna to play there.

FerociousCorgis

Not totally sold on him in the pivot and think he'd be better served as depth for the front four positions.
think i agree. Shouldnt be counting on him as a starter, but rotating around. Plus going to get worn out if playing every single game.

Tiber

Maybe I just expected too much, but I'm still maybe a little underwhelmed even on a good night

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.