Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
It's what I expected. Good passer but terrible at shielding the ball under pressure.
Was he not one of the best players in the PL when passing under pressure while at Spurs? Looking at metrics like completion rate, line breaking passes under pressure etc?

I think Statsbomb had something on it. Anyone have it?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Where’s that poster that posted those stats of how utterly shit De Gea as at every facet of being a keeper apart from shot stopping. You’re going to be in for a nasty surprise. Davey boy is statistically amongst the worst in Europe for most aspects.
Always amazed by alleged football fans who are so obsessed with "statistics". This is not baseball, mate, statistics mean very little without context. And the #1 job of a goal keeper is to stop shots. Just like #1 job of a striker to score goals. So, the reality is De Gea and Ronaldo were the only two class players last year. Anything else is whatever.

You can have your opinion, and I have been mad at De Gea enough times, over the years, but the fact remains - he is head and shoulders above everybody else we have in this team right now, sans Cristiano. By ANY measure.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It's what I expected. Good passer but terrible at shielding the ball under pressure.
Good grief. He’s very good facing the press, has the time and composure all really good players have. I honestly have no idea where you are extracting that opinion from. Most likely from somewhere betwixt your cheeks.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Really hoping he is heavily involved sunday - we really need his creativity
Agreed, we’re going to look a lot better with him in the side. I think he’ll start Sunday and will cement his place in the first XI very quickly.

We’ve not had someone like him who just drifts around the pitch making it look effortless since Carrick. Pogba was meant to be that player but just didn’t happen consistently.

He’s going to be the buy of the season.

WirralRed

Agreed, we’re going to look a lot better with him in the side. I think he’ll start Sunday and will cement his place in the first XI very quickly.

We’ve not had someone like him who just drifts around the pitch making it look effortless since Carrick. Pogba was meant to be that player but just didn’t happen consistently.

He’s going to be the buy of the season.
I agree with this, we haven’t got many great passes of the ball in the team. With him on the ball the likes of Rashford and Ronaldo (if he stays) Will be picked out more, hard to see on the TV sometimes but when you’re at the game last season you could often see them making runs but none of our players pick them out from deep. A lot of this was down to our Midfielders not having the vision, confidence or ability to make the pass.

Marwood

I can’t see why he wouldn’t start.
He didn't look all that fit to me in pre season. Maybe even a bit thicker set than he once was.

But then another weeks hard training might have done the trick.

SoCross

Don’t think he’d start, still well short of match-fitness. Cameo off the bench though, will be useful in either scenario of us chasing a game or defending a lead.

Olecurls99

Don’t think he’d start, still well short of match-fitness. Cameo off the bench though, will be useful in either scenario of us chasing a game or defending a lead.
Ideally I'd agree with you but I just think we need him to start. Martial being out means we need an extra hand in the build up play.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Definitely looked better as he dropped deeper. Thought he was poor in the first half further up.

Yagami

Good post resistant
So overrated. Any time he was faced with a press he went backwards.

Yagami

Good post resistant
You have him confused with MCT here....
Eriksen, Bruno, Fred, McTominay... it's all the same. All weak under pressure which is why Brighton played us off the park.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Amidst utter dross he looked semi competent in his role. Semi competent = MOTM.

NZT-One

Definitely looked better as he dropped deeper. Thought he was poor in the first half further up.
He was better in 2nd half because the whole team tried to put more intensity on the pitch and Brighton backed off. Eriksen is a good footballer but he is too weak to play some sort of holding role. No idea, what ETHs plan was in 1st half when Eriksen and McTominay played so far away from Fred who suffered a lot from it.

Idxomer

He was terrible in the 1st half, and his passing was worse than Bruno's.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's fair to mention that he was really bad during the first half and pretty good during the second. It's not as if it was an even performance.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
So overrated. Any time he was faced with a press he went backwards.
I half agree with this.

Since Eriksen signed its like a fog has descended on the CAF and we must all agree everything he does is brilliant.

I didn't actually see much difference between him and Bruno today. Both pretty average compared to their top levels.

I don't think he was that bad when pressed and his choice of pass was mostly good. However, there was nothing particularly stunning about his performance.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Like half a team out there in the second half. Shocking how much better one Eriksen is that combo of McFred. One of the only players of true Utd quality and one of the few positives of this season that we have him in the team. Immense player.

Telsim

Our best player today. I'm not sure exactly what that means considering the overall performance, but his quality was evident by contrast. He should play from the deep however. Let's hope he can stay fit.

Ekeke

Agree. Although I think part of that is playing in an advanced position waiting for Fred and McTom to give you the ball with a defender breathing down your neck. They arent the midfielders you can trust to do that.

Eriksen became the midfielder we could trust to feed the ball into some of our front players when he dropped back. In other words he needed someone doing what he did later in the game, to help him get on the ball when playing in the advanced position.

But yes I agree that he was closed down and struggled to wriggle free and make progress in advanced positions, much like Bruno often does

Superunknown

He is useful and will be useful for us. Liked his positioning in the second half. Think playing him further back is where we're going to get the best out of him compared to further forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.