6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Handré1990

Eriksen is apt for this man. Just like Mr Cantona he's finally found the stage that allows him to show his true worth! How did spurs manage to stop him becoming a superstar?
For the love of god, can people please leave the King out of these asinine comparisons? Last it was Bruno, now it’s Eriksen. I watched my first full season of football Cantona’s last season. Not only was he the definition of a complete baller, he was a force of nature, and a catalyst for several titles. Are people just that young, or just that stupid? (Not aimed at you in particularly, so please don’t take offense, however, think before typing).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For the love of god, can people please leave the King out of these asinine comparisons? Last it was Bruno, now it’s Eriksen. I watched my first full season of football Cantona’s last season. Not only was he the definition of a complete baller, he was a force of nature, and a catalyst for several titles. Are people just that young, or just that stupid? (Not aimed at you in particularly, so please don’t take offense, however, think before typing).
And Cantona didn't turn into a great player at United, he was a great player for the entirety of his career, from his first game at Auxerres to the last game of his career.

Handré1990

He is never going to be the player he was for obvious reasons. He is still a class act though. Just because you didn't pay attention to him before he joined your club doesn't mean he wasn't brilliant before he moved there.
Just as important as Kane and Son in your heights. He was incredible for you at times. I’ve followed him since Ajax, it’s been a delightful journey

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I agree he was good at spurs, I think he could surpass his level there though. Or maybe I'm not used to watching a United player with week in week out high match ratings.
He was excellent at Spurs bar his last season, if he reaches 70% of that for us it will be good

Handré1990

And Cantona didn't turn into a great player at United, he was a great player for the entirety of his career, from his first game at Auxerres to the last game of his career.
Yeah, and there is that. I just, literally, cringe seeing these comparisons. Come back when they’ve brought us major silverware, other than that, enjoy the ride. Finally we have some actual fotballers again. Ole broke my will to watch us, Ten Hag is bringing it back, and Eriksen is one of those reasons, but that’s as far as I’ll go for now :lol:

Trequarista10

I think he has plenty of goals in him even from a deeper position, but I quite like that his performances so far are going under the radar amongst casual opposition fans who aren't really paying attention.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah, and there is that. I just, literally, cringe seeing these comparisons. Come back when they’ve brought us major silverware, other than that, enjoy the ride. Finally we have some actual fotballers again. Ole broke my will to watch us, Ten Hag is bringing it back, and Eriksen is one of those reasons, but that’s as far as I’ll go for now :lol:
I kind of get why people may not realize it, at the time international broadcasting of games wasn't as easy and available, we are talking about 83-97. Cantona was great and someone promoted to the first team at an abnormal age at that time, around 17. According to some of his former teammates he should have been a regular earlier but his attitude was already questionable(massive ego and mouth).

Now regarding Eriksen, he was great prospect and has had a very good career but he isn't Cantona. The only thing that Cantona lacked was speed and he made up for it by being excellent in pretty much every other areas.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Always knew he'd be a regular starter. The whole "why did we sign a backup for Bruno" thing was silly when you consider Erikson's football intelligence, passing quality and role at Brentford.

He's been great all season. It's being noticed because he's gotten a couple of assists now.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Always found the idea that he was coming here to be a bench player asinine. He's a fecking baller.

kaku06

It is quite funny to come in here and see some people post like they never realised Eriksen was a brilliant player until he played for Utd. Where have you been?
Agreed. It’s quite shocking actually how many of them are surprised. Either posters here just watch united or they have a really poor judgement of players. Nice way to find out which ones have good footballing acumen.

JPRouve

Scout
Always knew he'd be a regular starter. The whole "why did we sign a backup for Bruno" thing was silly when you consider Erikson's football intelligence, passing quality and role at Brentford.

He's been great all season. It's being noticed because he's gotten a couple of assists now.
Always found the idea that he was coming here to be a bench player asinine. He's a fecking baller.
There was a point where I thought that I was maybe being too high on Eriksen. The idea that he wasn't going to start never made sense to me, I was sure that he was going to start on the right, as a CM or as a 10. Now to be honest I put a lot, and probably too much, stocks on his game against France, he was excellent.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Glad to see him get the plaudits he deserves, what a turn around he's made after the Euro incident, I'm really happy for him.

But to be honest there's still room for improvement, watched him a lot to know his half turn isn't really good, see the goal he got pinch against Brentford, they've been other times were he could do a drop of the shoulder and turn to get away from trouble but no he passes back were it's come from, did that a couple of times against Sheriff... i can see why the manager wanted De Jong.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It is quite funny to come in here and see some people post like they never realised Eriksen was a brilliant player until he played for Utd. Where have you been?
I’m still a bit sceptical that he’s just having a temporary bounce back. But I am hopeful he’s just thriving in a new role that will keep him flying high for a few years yet. The end to his Spurs career and his time at Inter were pretty alarming. Prior to that he was obviously class for Spurs, but his reputation suffered a little from following on from Modric without the same elegance, and playing at the same time as De Bruyne and Hazard, having neither the productivity nor the beauty to match. He could’ve played an important role for practically any team in England, but he was never quite top tier, which I think meant he was quickly forgotten about when he moved on after that poor last season.

Red00012

I was discussing with my wife last night how Eriksen feels about being politely clapped every time he goes to take a corner (due to what happened in the Euros)

If I was him it would 1. remind me of what happened, which isn't exactly what I'd want to experience every time I take a corner in a game 2. seem a bit patronising.

I appreciate it's just fans being nice (a rarity) but it's a bit weird. It was especially weird at the Real Sociedad game when our fans were doing it every single time he took a corner, once is fine, three or four times is weird.
No matter what player he is , he will be clapped as he goes over to take a corner. Bizarre take that you think it’s only Eriksen that gets clapped

mu4c_20le

Wasn't he Alexis in his last two seasons at Spurs?

sugar_kane

No matter what player he is , he will be clapped as he goes over to take a corner. Bizarre take that you think it’s only Eriksen that gets clapped
Clapped by opposition fans? C’mon, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

El Jefe

Its the defensive responsibility that has surprised me in a deep midfield position. I know he played deeper for Brentford than his Spurs days and maybe he's become more of that kind of player as he's aged but I still thought he'd struggle there at this level and in our team in particular. But he's held his own even with the fairly limited McTominay alongside him and he seems to be getting fitter and fitter. Very good professional.

Spraying passes around isn't a big shock, he's always going to have that in the locker.
I agree completely. His off the ball work is what has impressed me most. He's always in the right place which isvery important in maintaining our shape. Pogba was known for switching off and laziness while Fred leaves gaps all over the pitch and fails to track runs. Eriksen's defensive work is inconspicuous but you notice how much more solid we look with him in there.

His passing game is what I feel we're only scratching the surface with, he can do much more. He's improved in that respect after every game.

Dominos

To be fair, this was all said at a time where we looked to be on the verge of signing De Jong. If we'd have pulled off the De Jong signing like ETH wanted then Eriksen surely wouldn't be playing with the frequency he has so far, like fans were predicting.

One issue I had which wasn't really with the signing so much as it was it made Van De Beek being here completely pointless and yet it didn't ever look like he'd be leaving. It was time to let VDB move on if we were signing De Jong and Eriksen but we love to stockpile players we won't make us of. Ultimately as the summer went on it became clear we'd miss out on De Jong which changed the entire picture.

I do have to say he's adapted to the deep midfield role much better than I expected as the season has progressed.

Handré1990

I kind of get why people may not realize it, at the time international broadcasting of games wasn't as easy and available, we are talking about 83-97. Cantona was great and someone promoted to the first team at an abnormal at this time, around 17. According to some of his former teammates he should have been a regular earlier but his attitude was already questionable(massive ego and mouth).

Now regarding Eriksen, he was great prospect and has had a very good career but he isn't Cantona. The only thing that Cantona lacked was speed and he made up for it by being excellent in pretty much every other areas.
Very interesting, I’ve mostly read about his early career, but oh my I remember his last. Talk about retiring at the top of your game. I’ve since religiously worn out my vhs copy of 96/97 Champions Again. What he lacked in speed he took back in athleticism. He was strong and excellent in getting in front of defenders.

Agree with everything, it’s an insulting comparison, and I don’t think that should be used as a stick to beat Eriksen with. Clearly going to be one of our most important players this season where we’ve struggled most in the past decade, vs teams we should beat and dominate.

Foxbatt

Cantona is not slow. He had the pace to get away from a lot of defenders in the English League.
I think Eriksen is also being helped by McTominay playing the destructive side of things. He is a lot better at it than Fred who gets bounced around.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be fair, this was all said at a time where we looked to be on the verge of signing De Jong. If we'd have pulled off the De Jong signing like ETH wanted then Eriksen surely wouldn't be playing with the frequency he has so far, like fans were predicting.

One issue I had which wasn't really with the signing so much as it was it made Van De Beek being here completely pointless and yet it didn't ever look like he'd be leaving. It was time to let VDB move on if we were signing De Jong and Eriksen but we love to stockpile players we won't make us of. Ultimately as the summer went on it became clear we'd miss out on De Jong which changed the entire picture.

I do have to say he's adapted to the deep midfield role much better than I expected as the season has progressed.
Yeah I knew there was a chance he could work there due to how he's always played but he's adapted perfectly. Looks a natural, probably better there than as a 10 at this point in his career anyway.

I think the original plan was probably to have Frenkie, Bruno and Eriksen rotate and compete with each other for the 2 spots (and occasionally but rarely play together), just like we now have Antony, Sancho and Rashford to rotate and compete with each other.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Everyone knew he was class but he did become a bit ineffective by the end of his time at Spurs and at Inter apparently he wasn't a huge success. Then the heart thing of course. Think the transition to a deeper role has been great for him, but a new role and people not being sure if he was truly back to his best or something close to it is probably what contributes to the uncertainty.

Though I do also remember a thread a few years ago on here that was basically Pogba v Eriksen so it's not like he wasn't rated.

Skills

Snitch
I’m still a bit sceptical that he’s just having a temporary bounce back. But I am hopeful he’s just thriving in a new role that will keep him flying high for a few years yet. The end to his Spurs career and his time at Inter were pretty alarming. Prior to that he was obviously class for Spurs, but his reputation suffered a little from following on from Modric without the same elegance, and playing at the same time as De Bruyne and Hazard, having neither the productivity nor the beauty to match. He could’ve played an important role for practically any team in England, but he was never quite top tier, which I think meant he was quickly forgotten about when he moved on after that poor last season.
You think he's thriving though? I think he's been okay - I'd say one of our better players, but I'm not really blown away like everyone else is. He's probably the most talented passer at the club now - but Pogba for me was much better, when he played the same role deep (i.e. when he was partnered with Matic or Herrera).

SoCross

You think he's thriving though? I think he's been okay - I'd say one of our better players, but I'm not really blown away like everyone else is. He's probably the most talented passer at the club now - but Pogba for me was much better, when he played the same role deep (i.e. when he was partnered with Matic or Herrera).
Pogba was probably a better passer but Eriksen seems to have more time on the ball and hence seems better suited to the deeper role. Pogba was at his best on the left of a three for us IMO.

Skills

Snitch
Pogba was probably a better passer but Eriksen seems to have more time on the ball and hence seems better suited to the deeper role. Pogba was at his best on the left of a three for us IMO.
I think Pogba had similar if not better phases to be honest. He was fantastic in the post lockdown summer months in a similar position - but I agree, he was better when he was allowed to play the 8 in LCM.

I probably feel the same way about Eriksen - i'm not sure if i quite trust him on the ball in the defensive third. I think people are also quite happy to overlook his low passing % atm (new toy syndrome) - but we won't get away with him making only 74% of his passes for the rest of the season. He's in the 8th percentile atm.

Daneman

I think Pogba had similar if not better phases to be honest. He was fantastic in the post lockdown summer months in a similar position - but I agree, he was better when he was allowed to play the 8 in LCM.

I probably feel the same way about Eriksen - i'm not sure if i quite trust him on the ball in the defensive third. I think people are also quite happy to overlook his low passing % atm (new toy syndrome) - but we won't get away with him making only 74% of his passes for the rest of the season. He's in the 8th percentile atm.
This is just wrong on so many levels.
Eriksen has more passes than anyone, so no wonder he isnt 100% like some defenders.
He also has to do the hardest passes, and if Ronaldo doesnt wanna run, that count as a fail pass.

now what you are refering too, the Triangle play.. the safe defensive play, he is probably the coolest player on the Ball.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Anyone with half a brain or who watched Brentford last season knew he wasn’t coming to sit on the bench

PoTMS

And after the millions we've overspent (including this summer), we got him for free. :eek:

OrcaFat

He’s scored 39 goals for Denmark. From midfield. (That’s more than Shearer scored for England.) Should be scoring seven or eight for us this year.

Chief123

No freakin' way. Those are insane stats considering Rooney is England's all time at 53!!!
Yep pretty crazy figures. Especially as he’s done it in 116 appearances. That’s 1 goal every 3 games at international level for a midfielder. A striker would be proud of that record!

BlueHaze

Technically, few players in the world can match him.

Absolutely love watching him on the ball, his vision and creativity is sublime.

Status
Not open for further replies.