Christian Eriksen has left Old Trafford on crutches

Telsim

That is not what I meant when I said I wanted to see Fred play more, feck's sake.

Jacob

Blessing in disguised, sign a midfielder in January. Caceido let's go.

Dan_F

It’s pointless worrying about the team selection. It’s the kind of injury that could have happened in any game, nothing to do with fatigue.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

The drama around Ten Hag playing a strong line-up is hilarious imo. Surely he knows better than us if players need a rest or not. Had it been any other player it would still be annoying.

Fans moan about players/managers creating a toxic atmosphere, they should stop doing it themselves.

Mike Smalling

Didn’t he play 5-10 minutes after the tackle, and then walk off the pitch? Hopefully just a precaution - don’t think we are talking months here.

Also, that tackle not even being worthy of a yellow is a disgrace.

TheReligion

Abusive
:houllier: He carried on the game, probably used crutches as a precaution. Besides, he’s been nowhere near good enough for us to consider our season over if Eriksen has a knock.
Didn’t he play 5-10 minutes after the tackle, and then walk off the pitch? Hopefully just a precaution - don’t think we are talking months here.

Also, that tackle not even being worthy of a yellow is a disgrace.
Yep. It’s clearly not a serious injury given what you both said.

I assume he’s rolled his ankle and suffered a sprain. My estimation would be 2 weeks out.

Stacker

Carroll went out there looking for rough challenges in the second half, you could see how he was lurking around the pitch like a linebacker, and the blame should be laid fully at his door for the outcome of Eriksen, he should be ashamed.

It would be totally unfair to blame ETH or anyone else for the action of an opposition player who cannot control himself.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Moaning about an injury is stupid. Every single minute of every game he plays he could get injured. The only reasonable criticism if picked up a muscle injury due to fatigue. The manager knows how tired the players are and obviously thought he could play an hour. Which he could have.
Claiming there is a risk in any game and then insinuating risk of injury is not lessened if you are rested in certain games is stupid.

It was a silly game to start him in because 1) it was a mid tier Championship team and 2) he was showing serious burnout (which was just another reason to rest him outside of the crunching tackle event).

The first 45mins showed exactly why
We dominated the 45 mins with a fair few chances whilst they only had one touch in the box.

Jeffthered

This is a worry. Just hope it's not too bad.

But Fred and McTominay have to step up. They have to.

We soooooo need to add to that midfield.

'.... United have eight games in February, starting Wednesday with the Carabao Cup semifinal second leg against Nottingham Forest. The FA Cup fifth round is pencilled in for March 1, but before then Ten Hag has to deal with five Premier League games, a two-legged Europa League tie against Barcelona and, potentially, the Carabao Cup final. It's a mammoth task when injuries are starting to pile up....' - ESPN

arthurka

ETH being blamed for that cretins awful tackle now I seen it all. This team isn't even close to be capable of resting players.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
ETH being blamed for that cretins awful tackle now I seen it all. This team isn't even close to be capable of resting players.
Hes not being blamed for the tackle. He's being rightly criticised for playing Eriksen in a needless game that would have eliminated this scenario for at least another game.

And the second bit is bollocks, we faced a mid table championship side. Fred or McT, or both were more than capable of starting.

arthurka

Hes not being blamed for the tackle. He's being rightly criticised for playing Eriksen in a needless game that would have eliminated this scenario for at least another game.

And the second bit is bollocks, we faced a mid table championship side. Fred or McT, or both were more than capable of starting.
Sorry I don't agree we are having a tough time finishing off games even with our best team on the pitch. Having a 100kg twat running about hacking down players is a problem for the ref, who just had a mare of a game. ETH has found his group and he will stick with them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sorry I don't agree we are having a tough time finishing off games even with our best team on the pitch. Having a 100kg twat running about hacking down players is a problem for the ref, who just had a mare of a game. ETH has found his group and he will stick with them.
I dont think we have a tough time creating chances. And I don't think we would have struggled remotely to put Reading aside if we played Fred for Eriksen yesterday.

No one could look at minute 0 and say "oh damn, Fred Casemiro behind Rashford Weghorst Antony, we might struggle to put this midtable Championship side away"

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Carroll went out there looking for rough challenges in the second half, you could see how he was lurking around the pitch like a linebacker, and the blame should be laid fully at his door for the outcome of Eriksen, he should be ashamed.

It would be totally unfair to blame ETH or anyone else for the action of an opposition player who cannot control himself.
I don't think anybody is pretending Carroll didn't make the tackle. He is a meat, bellend that probably should have been sent off earlier than he did.

Thing is though, ETH is accountable for putting key players in these games. Most people see these as dead rubber games that could have been won below full strength. ETH doesn't see it that way. He sees the conjested fixture list as an opportunity to reduce the time taken to improve team chemistry and the players understanding of the system. Mainly because we're still new to the system he's trying to introduce and he's willing to risk injuries on this idea. He accepts the injury risk he's taking, even mentioned it, in some many words, in the post match presser himself.

I actually agree with ETH and fully support his approach but what we can't do is pretend he wasn't taking a risk in the first place.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't think anybody is pretending Carroll didn't make the tackle. He is a meat, bellend that probably should have been sent off earlier than he did.

Thing is though, ETH is accountable for putting key players in these games. Most people see these as dead rubber games that could have been won below full strength. ETH doesn't see it that way. He sees the conjested fixture list as an opportunity to reduce the time taken to improve team chemistry and the players understanding of the system. Mainly because we're still new to the system he's trying to introduce and he's willing to risk injuries on this idea. He accepts the injury risk he's taking, even mentioned it, in some many words, in the post match presser himself.

I actually agree with ETH and fully support his approach but what we can't do is pretend he wasn't taking a risk in the first place.
I don’t think you understand what a dead rubber game is.

GueRed

Hopefully he wont be out for long.

His influence on the team when we have the ball is underrated.

Important player for the manager

dove

Rightly criticised according to you. Then the same people are always first to blame the manager for not starting X or Y when we fail to win. I would guess the plan was to rotate half of team yesterday and another half against Nottingham. I am sure ETH knows better about the condition of the players than anyone here.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Rightly criticised according to you. Then the same people are always first to blame the manager for not starting X or Y when we fail to win. I would guess the plan was to rotate half of team yesterday and another half against Nottingham. I am sure ETH knows better about the condition of the players than anyone here.
When we fail to win? Read the post again, I said before kick off it was abundantly obvious and there were posts in the matchday thread surprised at the choice of Eriksen.

The whole manager knows better than anyone is such a bollocks argument. The best managers in history make mistakes. Ten Hag is doing a terrific job but let's not blow him off to the extent we can't reasonably critique him.

ArbeitervonWien

Don't know if you really can blame EtH or fatigue when 193 cm of pure lunacy go berserk in the second half and insanely cut down all of our players in reach.

I think it just highlights that we are in "the process" as EtH often mentions. Our squad is not yet complete and it shows. It was always bound to happen. We still have too many players we simply cannot replace adequately.

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
Rest players and then we get beat like we did last year by Middlesbrough! So many people on here really don’t understand the history of the FA Cup and upsets, you play your strongest team!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
When we fail to win? Read the post again, I said before kick off it was abundantly obvious and there were posts in the matchday thread surprised at the choice of Eriksen.

The whole manager knows better than anyone is such a bollocks argument. The best managers in history make mistakes. Ten Hag is doing a terrific job but let's not blow him off to the extent we can't reasonably critique him.
Using posts in the matchday thread as some sort of evidence of reasonable opinion will never help any argument.

We’ve a match next week where ETH could have probably gone with a weakened midfield. That was always the most sensible game to rest Eriksen. It won’t happen now. Oh well. Shit happens. Last night’s line up for a must win cup game against Championship opposition was just fine. It’s so crazy to me the way people have wiped from their memories how often a team without the likes of Eriksen, Casemiro, Martinez and Varane would lose or draw fixtures like last night. We’ve a great manager now but even he can’t take all our best/most important players out and still cruise to victory. As ETH said, he’s not fecking Harry Potter!

tenpoless

He’s fecking naive, you don’t need to play the same team in a cup comp against reading ffs. This isn’t the Dutch league, our players will burn out at this rate in the business end of the season.
What if he only played Casemiro out of all first team midfielders and then Casey got injured because Andy Caroll is a prick? will he still be naive then? that injury wasn't due to fatigue or forcing Eriksen to play through minor injury, it's beyond the manager's control.

dove

Eriksen's minutes on the pitch are managed well. Since the WC break he played 77, 61, 68, 72, 83, 90 minutes in the league and 83, 57, 30, 71 in cups. People being surprised that someone plays should not matter at all. Injuries happen, we can't wrap everyone in bubble wrap.

Rockets Redglare

He’s fecking naive, you don’t need to play the same team in a cup comp against reading ffs. This isn’t the Dutch league, our players will burn out at this rate in the business end of the season.
But why take the risk against fecking reading. This is squarely on ETH.
I don’t think it matters what Ten Hag does to fans like you, you’re always going to be on his back.

Elcabron

Our line up was way stronger than it needed to be, surely everyone can agree on that. Playing too many games leads to fatigue and injury and also clearly increases risk of being badly injured by a stupid tackle which is exactly what happened last night.

Fellas like Eriksen need to be carefully managed. Playing him when not needed in the middle of an absaloutely ludicrous run of fixtures is not the way to carefully manage such players. Hopefully ETH learns from it.

phelans shorts

Our line up was way stronger than it needed to be, surely everyone can agree on that. Playing too many games leads to fatigue and injury and also clearly increases risk of being badly injured by a stupid tackle which is exactly what happened last night.

Fellas like Eriksen need to be carefully managed. Playing him when not needed in the middle of an absaloutely ludicrous run of fixtures is not the way to carefully manage such players. Hopefully ETH learns from it.
Nah this is just daft. Those players won’t be playing midweek this week, 10 days off doesn’t help anyone. Starting them today to leave them out Wednesday was the correct call.

I’m loving my life

I think Mainoo has been featuring more because of situations like this. I can see him leapfrogging McTominay etc soon

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sure, could have happened in any game. But there's still merit to the argument that ETH could have rested key players (our squad is thin in terms of quality and we may have to prioritise competitions, so if we can't navigate Reading at home with our second string, maybe that's just where we're at).

That being said, this is of course on that thug. That he wasn't sent off back in the day for clearly trying to hospitalise de Gea still makes me angry.