Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Pawelek

How much in January? £10m? Straight swap for Matic?
Press say Spurs want £40m for him. 50% of what they were asking in the summer. I can't see anyone paying £40m. On current form Ericksen's closer to a £10m player. His form this season is on a par with Andreas'.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Press say Spurs want £40m for him. 50% of what they were asking in the summer. I can't see anyone paying £40m. On current form Ericksen's closer to a £10m player. His form this season is on a par with Andreas'.
£40m?! Well feck them then, enjoy losing him on a free in the summer.

starman

Although i think Eriksen waits it out until the summer, maybe something can be struck in January as Spurs are going to lose Vertonghen & Alderweireld in the summer, maybe January, therefore this could be our chance to off load Jones and/or Bailly in a exchange deal....

Lowkey

Eriksen for 40 million in January in his prime? For one of the best premier league midfielders over the last 5 years. I just dont get some posters in here.

We should be going all out to sign him. No brainer

stepic

yea for £40m you take him, as long as he is committed to it. he won't come here once the summer comes round.

that being said, i'm not that fussed if we don't sign him. this year's form is a red flag reminiscent of Sanchez' final season with Arsenal.

Davs

Not sure I can see a system with both him and Pogba in and I know which one I'd like to have in the squad.
This is the thing for me and I was having the same conversation with a guy in work this morning. If Pogba can come back into our upbeat team all cylinders firing then we dont even need to be talking about Eriksen.

If however we get the old Paul Pogba back who's going to grump, sulk and not work his socks off for the club then we need to consider Eriksen in Jan/end of the season.

Rob Bowman

This is the thing for me and I was having the same conversation with a guy in work this morning. If Pogba can come back into our upbeat team all cylinders firing then we dont even need to be talking about Eriksen.

If however we get the old Paul Pogba back who's going to grump, sulk and not work his socks off for the club then we need to consider Eriksen in Jan/end of the season.
Assume the best Pogba possible, then assume Fred continues to settle and McT continues to improve... after that we are looking at crap. Even with all our best Mids healthy and playing well how would it hurt to have one solid other option?

In 99 we had Keane, Scholes and Butt rotating the center two positions. Keane was the man but Scholes and Butt played like one game difference. If we want to be a top team we need some competition for places i would think.

Mark Pawelek

Eriksen for 40 million in January in his prime? For one of the best premier league midfielders over the last 5 years. I just dont get some posters in here.

We should be going all out to sign him. No brainer
He doesn't want to join us. His form is awful. Real can't keep all their attacking midfielders. We should ask about James Rodríguez or Isco. They are under pressure to sell players due to financial fair play rules. Either for £40m, or just over, make more sense.

Opps. Scrub out James Rodríguez

Injuries. Forwards / attacking midfielders

------------- Lost: Days -- Matches -- Age
Gareth Bale -------- 576 --- 104 ------ 30
James Rodríguez ---- 481 ---- 80 ------ 28
Isco --------------- 147 ---- 26 ------ 27
Christian Eriksen --- 83 ---- 17 ------ 27

Christian Eriksen has some things going for him.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

Feck me, Eriksen for £40mil would be a true bargain in this inflated market, regardless of his contract situation and form. He’s in his prime.

RUCK4444

He doesn't want to join us. His form is awful. Real can't keep all their attacking midfielders. We should ask about James Rodríguez or Isco. They are under pressure to sell players due to financial fair play rules. Either for £40m, or just over, make more sense.
Neither would move for £40mil and neither would be as good as an in form Eriksen in this league though.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Eriksen's form is awful, so you want us to ask about two other players who aren't in good form - and they're both players who Real would be wanting much more than £40m for. Great idea.

Real have been trying to get rid of James for 4 years. No one wants him - let’s stay clear of that one please.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No thanks, I thought we’d learned from Sanchez-gate...

Ole and the board can’t preach about a hard reset of the club and how we’re focusing on buying young talent, and then buy Eriksen just because he’s available. If there’s a plan, stick with it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What leverage do they have to even ask for 40m? Any money is better than nothing. The only thing they have is that there may be less competition for his signature, but considering anyone can sign him for next season it's not much.

RUCK4444

What leverage do they have to even ask for 40m? Any money is better than nothing. The only thing they have is that there may be less competition for his signature, but considering anyone can sign him for next season it's not much.
I suppose they can tout him to clubs like us in the hope we will pay the £40mil in order to seal the deal before he gets a free move to Madrid in the summer.

And I think we would be stupid not to.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I suppose they can tout him to clubs like us in the hope we will pay the £40mil in order to seal the deal before he gets a free move to Madrid in the summer.

And I think we would be stupid not to.
I think we'd be in a strong position to offer 20m. Can Madrid not sign him in Jan for next season anyway?

RUCK4444

I think we'd be in a strong position to offer 20m. Can Madrid not sign him in Jan for next season anyway?
Yeah they could do the same of course but I think it’s our only chance at him, Madrid will hold out for a free transfer.

I would go in big for him in January, get him on form and watch us break down the defensive sides. With him and Pogba we would have some top level passing and assists coming from midfield.

We should have a few backup options earmarked as well, a midfield addition in January is an absolute must.
I can’t bare to see Perreira on the pitch, I would rather get Carrick off the bench

SAFMUTD

He seems the ideal player to flop here at ManUtd, he's a player with very marked highs and lows. Very similar to Ozil in that aspect, he can have a worldclass game one day a sunday league level the next one.

I think its to much of a risk to buy him, specially with our history of floping stars. He may very well end up being our own Ozil.

Kag

The resistance to the idea of Eriksen playing for us is understandable yet I feel it’s (generally) more of an issue with what he represents rather than what he would add to the first team. The fear of another Schweinsteiger/Falcao/Di Maria/Sanchez situation; I get it.

I mean, let’s say we press ahead with this mobile two man midfield tactic of McTominay and Fred (plus better players of this ilk down the line). You would then be looking for a hardworking, creative, versatile #10 type that can come deeper to collect the ball and pick up regular goals and assists. That’s Eriksen at his best.

If you had an Eriksen that was desperate to play for the club and eager to prove himself again then you’d be making a savvy buy, I think. If that attitude isn’t there then you wouldn’t. But there shouldn’t be a resistance to more proven players if they still fit the brief. Eriksen would fit the brief, particularly if Pogba leaves as looks likely to be the case.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

Ole and the board can’t preach about a hard reset of the club and how we’re focusing on buying young talent, and then buy Eriksen just because he’s available. If there’s a plan, stick with it.
Targeting young players is fine as a broad strategy but part of the reason we've dropped so many points this season is inexperience. I'm not necessarily saying that Eriksen is the answer to this but we need a couple of players in their actual prime.

2 man midfield

Targeting young players is fine as a broad strategy but part of the reason we've dropped so many points this season is inexperience. I'm not necessarily saying that Eriksen is the answer to this but we need a couple of players in their actual prime.
In their prime, yeah. Not on the downward spiral. To me, an example of a player in their prime would be Bruno Fernandes, or Thomas Partey. Someone in their mid-20s, their best years still ahead and ready to make the step up.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

How simple life must be if the same thing happened over and over again.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Which player would you advocate signing? Odegaard or Mr Eriksen?
I think United could do with either.
Ødegaard in my view isn't available while I think Eriksen is somewhat unlikely, but I'll give my view on if he comes:

We would go from relying on Mata, Pereira, Matic or Lingard once a key injury (McT/Fred, /Pogba/James) strikes to being able to count on Eriksen first and then one of them. We wouldn't have to hope on individual brilliance in order to get something against sides that don't attack when Pogba is out or in bad form. Eriksen would give us a hard-working player who can create chances while being a better option than the one he would replace (Mata) in my opinion.

Mind you I still think we desperately would need a defensively capable midfielder to replace Matic with, but at that point I would be happy with our midfield.

Fred - McT - new dm/dlp - Eriksen - Pogba + talents & squad fill like Pereira, Lingard and Garner.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
In their prime, yeah. Not on the downward spiral. To me, an example of a player in their prime would be Bruno Fernandes, or Thomas Partey. Someone in their mid-20s, their best years still ahead and ready to make the step up.
Spurs have been such a shambles this season, on and (allegedly) off the pitch that it's difficult to judge a few of their players. Delle Ali was a busted flush 3 weeks ago but is looking close to his best again. It's totally plausible that Eriksen falls into the same category.

Again, just playing devil's advocate, as there are shades of Sanchez here. Although at 27 it's far less likely.

Withnail

Eriksen is past it at 27 and Fernandes is up and coming at 25?

Fernandes is a much bigger risk imo as he's unproven and seems to be unfancied as no one was in for him when he was available.

I'd agree with others that eriksen for 40m or less is a no-brainer. I think he's been demotivated and as he clearly wants a move he's been in and out of the team, rather than on a downward spiral.

He's had a combined goals/assists total in the league of over 20 for the last 4 seasons in a row before this one.

2 man midfield

Eriksen is past it at 27 and Fernandes is up and coming at 25?

Fernandes is a much bigger risk imo as he's unproven and seems to be unfancied as no one was in for him when he was available.

I'd agree with others that eriksen for 40m or less is a no-brainer. I think he's been demotivated and as he clearly wants a move he's been in and out of the team, rather than on a downward spiral.

He's had a combined goals/assists total in the league of over 20 for the last 4 seasons in a row before this one.
I’m not talking about age as much as career trajectory. Eriksen could well be the victim of a poor spurs side, but he’s looked gash for months. He also rejected us in the summer, if you believe the reports. Doesn’t exactly chime with the “hungry, hard-working” thing we’re supposedly going after now. It would just be a really out of character signing is all, from a manager whose pitfalls we’re turning a blind eye to based on the fact he’s meant to be rebuilding the team. Eriksen flies in the face of that.

Teja

I mean Eriksen's 27/28, he's not in Rooney / Sanchez levels of decline. This isn't a case where a player suffered multiple muscular injuries and lost pace (ala Torres). He also isn't a player who relies on his pace / physicality like Sanchez / Rooney, his body just has fewer miles on it.

He'll probably do a good job for 2-3 years. I'd be very happy if we can get him on a 3 yr contract with an optional extension for 40M.

Re: Fernandes, it reeked of Sporting trying to spin up the rumor mill when there was no actual interest from anyone. I don't think he's an 85M player.

UpWithRivers

Why in anyones right mind would you buy a player for 40 mil that you can get for nothing in the summer. If he wants to come he can sign a pre-contract in Jan cant he? What am I missing?

Teja

Why in anyones right mind would you buy a player for 40 mil that you can get for nothing in the summer. If he wants to come he can sign a pre-contract in Jan cant he? What am I missing?
You get him in Jan and for us it could mean CL vs no CL next year.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
United can't sign a pre-contract with him in January. Foreign teams can.
If you do give them 40 mill I'd expect him to make the transfer in January, as opposed to the summer if he moves for free.

That said it doesn't make sense for Eriksen from my perspective to not wait and go on a free, he will get more options that way and better economic offers for himself.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
No. Sticking with Real.
He's gone from having his decision to join Real Madrid and being labeled a bust 2 years ago, to becoming one of the best players in La Liga, and having the advanced statistics rank him as the 4th 'best' player in La Liga this season thus far, behind Messi, Benzema and Casemiro. He'll be worth Pogba money in a couple years if his development trajectory continues like this. Real will never consider selling him. That being said, if by some miracle Real wanted Pogba so bad they'd trade him for Ødegaard and essentially told Ødegaard he was no longer welcome there to prompt him to move, I'd be gleefully happy.

That won't happen though, and honestly Ødegaard is the reason Paul Pogba will never play for Real Madrid.

RUCK4444

He's certainly not playing like it. He's been dogshit for over a year now.
Yeah but he’s not over the hill or crocked, looks like a player desperate for a move.

You don’t lose technique, he’s lost desire by the look of him. Needs a new challenge.

Withnail

I’m not talking about age as much as career trajectory. Eriksen could well be the victim of a poor spurs side, but he’s looked gash for months. He also rejected us in the summer, if you believe the reports. Doesn’t exactly chime with the “hungry, hard-working” thing we’re supposedly going after now. It would just be a really out of character signing is all, from a manager whose pitfalls we’re turning a blind eye to based on the fact he’s meant to be rebuilding the team. Eriksen flies in the face of that.
I don't really see how this take stands up.

Was Maguire out of character?

The rebuild needs experience too. You cant just buy kids forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.