Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikelinho

Do we seriously want a player who publicly says he wants a move to another club. No need for another Pogba. No more toxic please.

Even the danish media don’t believe he has what it takes to be a top club player.

Bestietom

Eriksen already has the pace of a crushed snail though doesn't he, so not quite sure what physical decline there would be?
It's not like Sanchez, whose whole game was acceleration, strength and thrust
Not fair to say that. Eriksen is calm and composed on the ball and is an excellent passer of the ball. He would suit the number 10 role for us and would add goals, and assists. More than what Lingard, Mata, or Pereira can do.

Lemansky

Eriksen is a superb player and he would in theory be a top signing.

A player on big wages, not really motivated and not moving to his first choice club? This step as it is right now would be sideways, he would not increase his chances to win trophies short term imo. It would be a gamble signing him, one that we maybe can’t afford right now. Our big signings going forward need to be safe as we can’t afford more f ups.

devips

Mata at Chelsea and Mata at United are two different beasts. The same would be true of Ericssen if it happens. But it won't happen, I am sure of it.

Bestietom

Do we seriously want a player who publicly says he wants a move to another club. No need for another Pogba. No more toxic please.

Even the danish media don’t believe he has what it takes to be a top club player.
Thats gone now. His agent thought he could flog him to Real and it opened his eyes, until he found out they weren't interested.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I fear this could turn out like the Mata transfer if it happened.
Yeah I just don’t think it’s worth the risk. Slightly positive note was that one of our more reliable journalists, think it was Stone, said we held an interest in him during summer but when we found out he wasn’t that bothered about coming here we dropped our interest, makes a nice change and will hopefully help us avoid more Sánchez or Di Maria debacles in the future.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not fair to say that. Eriksen is calm and composed on the ball and is an excellent passer of the ball. He would suit the number 10 role for us and would add goals, and assists. More than what Lingard, Mata, or Pereira can do.
Yeah he's nice on the ball, but the majority of the posts against him are talking of physical declines. Which surely with him wouldn't be as obvious as the Rooney and Sanchez examples.

Teja

I'm sure the club has pretty good data (more than all of us anyway) on physical decline. It's easy to judge using metrics like acceleration (link to Arsenal stats), sprints per game (offensive sprints vs defensive sprints), distance covered etc. I'm curious though what this data looks like for some of the more recent flops like Torres, Sanchez and Mata and if it actually showed a precipitous decline in physical stats before the player was sold.

The metal side of things are harder to judge. Does he have the same hunger and desire to win? Or is he done and looking for one last pay check? I think Ole would have to talk to the player, pull some strings and understand where the player is.

Mike Smalling

The Ireland game the other day really highlighted his limitations. He was never the fastest player, but it looks like he has lost a step or two - was almost like watching Mata.

Still worth a punt with the right salary and contract length, but it wouldn't bother me if we missed out.

theklr

I'm sure the club has pretty good data (more than all of us anyway) on physical decline. It's easy to judge using metrics like acceleration (link to Arsenal stats), sprints per game (offensive sprints vs defensive sprints), distance covered etc. I'm curious though what this data looks like for some of the more recent flops like Torres, Sanchez and Mata and if it actually showed a precipitous decline in physical stats before the player was sold.

The metal side of things are harder to judge. Does he have the same hunger and desire to win? Or is he done and looking for one last pay check? I think Ole would have to talk to the player, pull some strings and understand where the player is.
I think for one that the regards OGS gives to the mental state of players (as seen through his 3 signings so far) is what he deems is most important.

Would think too, that they both being scandinavians, and Ole is very good friend of Åge Hareide which coaches Eriksen in the danish national team he would correctly gauge if Eriksen would really be up for it or not.

If he wants to sign us that is. But as he didnt want to sign for (it seems) in the summer, I hardly think he wants it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROFLUTION

The Ireland game the other day really highlighted his limitations. He was never the fastest player, but it looks like he has lost a step or two - was almost like watching Mata.

Still worth a punt with the right salary and contract length, but it wouldn't bother me if we missed out.
That game also showed what a brillant sense he has of holding on to the ball under pressure without being the most physical player. Really elegant in his way of handling the ball.

crossy1686

career ending
He looks like he doesn't want to play football anymore. I'd be seriously worried about signing him, especially considering he has his heart set on playing in Spain for the 'lifestyle' change he's craving.

Mike Smalling

That game also showed what a brillant sense he has of holding on to the ball under pressure without being the most physical player. Really elegant in his way of handling the ball.
True, and don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Eriksen. But he does not quite look the same as he did during the World Cup qualifying run, where he basically dragged us to Russia on his own.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't think we should be going anywhere near him. He might get back to his best, but we shouldn't be taking the risk. We need to take note of the warning signs for once.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't think we should be going anywhere near him. He might get back to his best, but we shouldn't be taking the risk. We need to take note of the warning signs for once.
Exactly this, for me.
2 or 3 years ago, I would have been thrilled to be linked with Eriksen, but for me, we have probably already seen his best days.
It just simply happens with some players, they just don't shine brilliantly forever.
We need to be signing a player whose star is on the rise.

ROFLUTION

True, and don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Eriksen. But he does not quite look the same as he did during the World Cup qualifying run, where he basically dragged us to Russia on his own.
I agree. To me he's a player who gets to a very high level if he's played regularly. He isn't right now, and I agree he looked a bit slow in one run against Ireland.

Don't know if he's lost his pace yet - think I need to see it more than once to say that. At age 27 it seems weird if he'd lost it completely already. Could've just been tired.

I'm very keen on Eriksen to be honest. I think he's everything Pogba isn't. A stable performer, when offered regular game-time, who makes all other players gel. And one that binds the squad together. He needs to be motivated to cope with the pressure at United though. I think he's better than Maddison.

To be honest, I think we fans are very overreacting because of our bad signing in Sanchez (& Schweinsteiger, etc) - Now we seem to think that any player over 27 will be declining rapidly. Very small sample-size. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we signed Eriksen on a free and he gave us 2-3 decent seasons. We both need a player like him, and also squad-depth anyways.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Agree with this. Summed up well.

Not in a position to sign players in hope previous form returns.

ROFLUTION

He looks like he doesn't want to play football anymore. I'd be seriously worried about signing him, especially considering he has his heart set on playing in Spain for the 'lifestyle' change he's craving.
This I don't agree with. Just scored 2 goals the other day. Still looked stable and quality in his touches when Denmark went through against Ireland. Just suffering under a bad situation at Spurs imo. Too easy to say he's declining permanently from now on.

ROFLUTION

I just don't get how people sees this as a "big gamble". He'll be on a free and has the same abilities like Maddison when played regularly.

Big wages maybe, but he'd be decent for us for 2-3 years at least. We both need squad depth and players to make us tick. What's the gamble? It's low risk, high reward and we could still sign other prospects while having Eriksen.

ROFLUTION

While the danish media agrees he's in a bit of a slump, then who really is an expert out of the danish ex-footballers/media-commentators? All crappy experts. Not sure I've seen this mentioned neither.

Let's not spread misinformation about Eriksen. He's nothing like Pogba who wants the attention. Eriksen's not toxic at all, but a very humble guy, who keeps his head down. Every dane, who've followed him from his time in Ajax would know this.

There's so much lazy shit chatted about Eriksen in this thread, and it all seems like people have just read other shit-postings, and are echoing those opinions without having followed Eriksen really.

Johan07

I just don't get how people sees this as a "big gamble". He'll be on a free and has the same abilities like Maddison when played regularly.

Big wages maybe, but he'd be decent for us for 2-3 years at least. We both need squad depth and players to make us tick. What's the gamble? It's low risk, high reward and we could still sign other prospects while having Eriksen.
He is also 4 years Maddisons senior and the wages he will want will be on a Sanchez/Ramsey level which will easily make up for any inflated transfer fee we would have to pay to Leicester. Its not like Maddisons value will go away. And to be perfectly fair I dont think Eriksen is good enough to be our long term number 10. I dont know if Maddison is either tbf, but he is at least English and if he does not perform on 200k (maybe); we will get most of our investment back.
If Eriksen does not perform on 400k a week we are stuck with him like we were with Sanchez and its another shitshow.

ROFLUTION

He is also 4 years Maddisons senior and the wages he will want will be on a Sanchez/Ramsey level which will easily make up for any inflated transfer fee we would have to pay to Leicester. Its not like Maddisons value will go away. And to be perfectly fair I dont think Eriksen is good enough to be our long term number 10. I dont know if Maddison is either tbf, but he is at least English and if he does not perform on 200k (maybe); we will get most of our investment back.
If Eriksen does not perform on 400k a week we are stuck with him like we were with Sanchez and its another shitshow.
Right. You're an economics man, but you really think that Eriksens on a free would be over 80m in sign-on or written into his wages?! Sounds insane. Your own calculations with 400k a week (which I very much doubt he demands) is about 60m over 3 years. Maddison would at least be demanding 200k so 80+30 to 40m all combined vs 60m in once. Eriksen would still cost about half of Maddison, but we'd be able to keep Maddison for longer.

I only think Eriksen wants about 200-250k which is like signing him for 39m for 3 years to get 3 good years out of him. Great value to me. Ship Lingard/Mata off and we're good.

Johan07

Right. You're an economics man, but you really think that Eriksens on a free would be over 80m in sign-on or written into his wages?! Sounds insane. Your own calculations with 400k a week (which I very much doubt he demands) is about 60m over 3 years. Maddison would at least be demanding 200k so 80+30 to 40m all combined vs 60m in once. Eriksen would still cost about half of Maddison, but we'd be able to keep Maddison for longer.

I only think Eriksen wants about 200-250k which is like signing him for 39m for 3 years to get 3 good years out of him. Great value to me. Ship Lingard/Mata off and we're good.
I would take a punt on Eriksen on a free at 200-250k as well. But in a market where Juve decides to pay a injury-ridden Aaron Ramsey 400k plus I will file an application with Eriksen to be his new agent.
Because if he accepts 200-250k going on a free he is clearly misrepresented. And the signon-fee is just another way to describe salary. They are taxed the same.
EDIT
And sorry, but you cant compare a sign-on-fee for an almost 28-year old Eriksen with a transfer fee for a 24-year old Maddison. Maddison will still have significant value whenever, Eriksen will not on the wages he will be demanding and his age to boot.
Those are not compatible numbers.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Yep, he'd be a very risky signing, the kind of mistake we've made way too often over the past few seasons. As much as I like/d him, it's a pass from me.

ROFLUTION

I would take a punt on Eriksen on a free at 200-250k as well. But in a market where Juve decides to pay a injury-ridden Aaron Ramsey 400k plus I will file an application with Eriksen to be his new agent.
Because if he accepts 200-250k going on a free he is clearly misrepresented. And the signon-fee is just another way to describe salary. They are taxed the same.
EDIT
And sorry, but you cant compare a sign-on-fee for an almost 28-year old Eriksen with a transfer fee for a 24-year old Maddison. Maddison will still have significant value whenever, Eriksen will not on the wages he will be demanding and his age to boot.
Those are not compatible numbers.
We could also just compare a signing of Eriksen to having Lingard/Mata at the moment. Lingard is on 70k, Mata is on 130k - Ship them both off, use Pereira for backup, and we probably have about the same amount (200k) a week wages for Eriksen around. Even if he demands 400k a week (210k more), it'd stil just be an expense of 32m for at least 3 years of good service. Good business? Seems like a small gamble to me.

Maddison on the other hand would probably be about 100m in fee and ~30m in wages over 3 years but of course as you say also have a sell value. I doubt that other clubs will pay the same as the "United-inflated price" in 3-4 years when he's 28 - He might even pull an Eriksen/Ramsey and we get very little when selling him like we see with Pogba now. So that would make the recoup value about 50m at best maybe. Maddison isn't sexy business brand-wise I'd say. We're still overpaying somehow I think. But it all comes back to whether the player's performance is worth the outlay. For 10-32m over 3 years I think Eriksen definitely is a value-signing.

Johan07

We could also just compare a signing of Eriksen to having Lingard/Mata at the moment. Lingard is on 70k, Mata is on 130k - Ship them both off, use Pereira for backup, and we probably have about the same amount (200k) a week wages for Eriksen around. Even if he demands 400k a week (210k more), it'd stil just be an expense of 32m for at least 3 years of good service. Good business? Seems like a small gamble to me.

Maddison on the other hand would probably be about 100m in fee and ~30m in wages over 3 years but of course as you say also have a sell value. I doubt that other clubs will pay the same as the "United-inflated price" in 3-4 years when he's 28 - He might even pull an Eriksen/Ramsey and we get very little when selling him like we see with Pogba now. So that would make the recoup value about 50m at best maybe. Maddison isn't sexy business brand-wise I'd say. We're still overpaying somehow I think. But it all comes back to whether the player's performance is worth the outlay. For 10-32m over 3 years I think Eriksen definitely is a value-signing.
I think Lingard is on 100k plus after signing his new contract, but otherwise I dont disagree with the numbers. I still dont think Eriksen wont come anywhere near that cheap, "all inclusive "(he will not come cheaper than if Levy had sold him this summer in total) but if he does, sure. An absolute option.
I do think that the club will stay with their preferred options though transfer-wise and will go for Maddison before Eriksen.
But its all speculation I guess. Cheers.

Johan07

Sorry, forgot this. I dont get it? We paid like 90m for Pogba and we will get 100m plus for him if he leaves nxt summer. Maybe as much as 150m. We would have made money on the transfer. That did not make sense to me. Just saying.

ROFLUTION

Sorry, forgot this. I dont get it? We paid like 90m for Pogba and we will get 100m plus for him if he leaves nxt summer. Maybe as much as 150m. We would have made money on the transfer. That did not make sense to me. Just saying.
I'm not sure we'll make money on Pogba. A similar player in Hazard cost them about 100m euros (Marca) and with Pogba We have 1.5 + an option for 1 year extension left on Pogba. Hmm I somehow think we'll just break even. Pogba was about 105m euros + 16m gbp in fee to Raiola on top of that (The Times). I can't see us getting 150m for Pogba when he's performances are not stable. 100 maybe, but that'd probably just make us break even.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm not sure we'll make money on Pogba. A similar player in Hazard cost them about 100m euros (Marca) and with Pogba We have 1.5 + an option for 1 year extension left on Pogba. Hmm I somehow think we'll just break even. Pogba was about 105m euros + 16m gbp in fee to Raiola on top of that (The Times). I can't see us getting 150m for Pogba when he's performances are not stable. 100 maybe, but that'd probably just make us break even.
Hazard's addons could take the cost to over £150m according to the BBC* and that was with only a year left on his contract. Pogba will have 2 years left on his contract, will be younger than Hazard was when he made the move and he's the face of the club, we'll get what we ask for him.

* https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48548361

Status
Not open for further replies.