Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I like Eriksen but am a little concerned if we’re focussing our efforts on one of the few positions that we have appropriate resources in. It’s a like for like replacement for Mata but Mata himself was not a good fit for us and was only being used as cover on the wings and not number ten.
Eriksen is a much better athlete than Mata, which is the main thing which has always made it difficult for Mata to really succeed here.

Withnail

Under 3 different managers, what does that tell you?
I take the point but would you class any of them as good managers? He definitely has struggled to adapt/make the step up but I'd like to see how he goes playing under EtH again.

As for Eriksen, I think he'd be a good option on a free and himself and Bruno wouldn't necessarily need to play together. We're over-reliant on Bruno as it is and if we rotated him more we may get more out of him towards the end of the season.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Would be a good squad option but we need someone to play beside FDJ (if he comes) and I don't think that player is Eriksen. Unless Ten Hag is planning to use Bruno on the right and Eriksen in the center like:

-------------------Striker---------------------
Sancho------Eriksen-------Bruno----
--------------DM-------FDJ-----------------
Shaw----Varane---Timber------RB
Yeah, this is how I see it as well. Whoever the DM is will have to be some player.

cyberman

Smart signing. We are too comfortable with having dross in the squad that when we are linked with quality we shit ourselves about fitting them all in.
He, VDB and Bruno for two positions would be fantastic.

Tavern in the town

He’s excellent as a deeper midfielder too. I remember during Ole’s interim spell when we beat them, Poch dropped him into CM and they absolutely battered us from then on until the end of the game.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maybe we're planning to have Ronaldo and Bruno (false 9) upfront with VDB or Eriksen as no 10

dinostar77

Eriksen would be mad to join us. Better off showing some loyalty to brentford and playing week in, week out. Besides we'd have to let either VDB or bruno go as you dont really want 3 players fighting for one position. Though im sure he played a number of games for spurs as a wide right midfielder. So maybe thats what Utd have in mind.

If he really wants CL football next season then it would have to be spurs.

Drizzle

We are too comfortable with having dross in the squad that when we are linked with quality we shit ourselves about fitting them all in.
Spot on. We've swallowed the lie that we can only have 11 first team quality players. City's second XI would easily get top 4. Our squad needs elevating 2 or 3 levels in terms of quality and flexibility.

Keyser

Absolute no brainer, with Thurs/Sun games for a lot of the season and other cups to field teams in we'd be mad not to grab him if we have a chance

Bojan Djordjic

Eriksen is a much better athlete than Mata, which is the main thing which has always made it difficult for Mata to really succeed here.
Sure but it's more a comment on us seemingly using limited time and resources on deepening areas we have decent options rather than on positions that immediately improve the first team. The positions we've had the strongest links to so far are centre back, CM (as opposed to DM), left back and now AM. I know plenty will (in some positions vehemently) disagree but these are the areas I would genuinely have thought we had more tolerable options rather than at DM, RB, RW and ST. Reminds me of the summer we bought Donny when there was gaping holes at right wing and midfield.

Reyoji-Utd

if the manager and his team want and have use for the players than yeah go and try to get him. Its free and all that after all.

We as a squad reall is thin now and with him he maybe can play as a CM more now (like scholes did when he aged) and sometimes as attacking players. Theres never enough of good players in a squad esp us right now. Maybe we wont buy the striker (for any various reasons) and try to use Bruno more as a false nine. Its not out of the real of possibility as the position is now marginalised.

TheHeya

How long was he training under ETH at Ajax after getting released by Inter? Any reason why Ajax didn’t fancy him before signing for Brentford?

Orion.

I’ve heard him and a Jonny Evans homecoming are very much likely to happen by July.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Pretty sure everyone in the league is offering him a contract. :lol:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Eriksen would be mad to join us. Better off showing some loyalty to brentford and playing week in, week out. Besides we'd have to let either VDB or bruno go as you dont really want 3 players fighting for one position. Though im sure he played a number of games for spurs as a wide right midfielder. So maybe thats what Utd have in mind.

If he really wants CL football next season then it would have to be spurs.
Playing week in week out or not, he’ll get game time here and nobody will ever be mad to prefer playing for United over Brentford regardless of ‘guaranteed’ playing time.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I would take him at Liverpool in a heartbeat.

Kag

I like Eriksen: a good player who would replace Mata and Lingard from a squad perspective. We need two (deeper) central midfielders a lot more, though. On top of them then great, but not instead of.

city-puma

We loose three experienced figures, mata, Matic, Pogba. We have to find at least another. He is a very good choice.

NLunited

Are we going to get who we can get or who we need.

He’s very good, but older, a stop gap measure.

Conor

How are people giving out about potentially signing a quality player for free :lol:

JeffFromHK

Eriksen - 0M
De Jong - 65M
(defensive midfielder) - 40M

our midfield upgrade would be complete with these 3 additions.

PoTMS

No brainer really. International level footballer for one of the best European nations on a free. Get him in.

Crickus

On a Free and as a squad player. If he passes all the medicals then why not. The guy is one of best passer of the ball in the current game

davidmichael

I’ve read multiple times through journalists and pundits that know far more about Ten Hag than I do that he likes players who are multi functional and tactically flexible so hypothetically we could see Fernandes used as a false 9 or a wide playmaker as well as a 10 and there were reports that Ten Hag was going to look into using Rashford centrally which could mean we don’t bring another striker in and go with Ronaldo, Fernandes and Rashford (I won’t include Greenwood right now) as our options up top next season.

We could see Eriksen, VDB and Fernandes all play as a 10 but Eriksen and VDB can also play deeper or as part of a 3 if hypothetically again we were to play a 4-3-3 with Fernandes as a false 9 or with Fernandes not even playing. We have let Pogba, Lingard, Mata and Cavani all go whilst Matic has too so Eriksen on a free is shrewd business and if managed right could be invaluable, it’s these types of signings we’ve missed making over the years.

Cafer007

He is a good no-10 but he can play on left side too or as a number-8 next to a DM

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
All these stories are great for betting markets - push the price out for him to sign for Brentford too which some people worth listening to are having a piece of. Interestingly Betvictor have no market on him joining Brentford but are taking money on other clubs….

OrcaFat

We loose three experienced figures, mata, Matic, Pogba. We have to find at least another. He is a very good choice.
Agreed. I think he would commit to the cause and be a positive influence in the squad.

He’s better than anyone we have as well which might be stating the obvious but if he’s “free” it seems like an option without much of a down side.

ROFLUTION

All these stories are great for betting markets - push the price out for him to sign for Brentford too which some people worth listening to are having a piece of. Interestingly Betvictor have no market on him joining Brentford but are taking money on other clubs….
I think he'll stay with you - Don't see Conte or United giving him unlimited amount of games, where he'll be the revolving part.

The World Cup means something to him, so I think he treasures stability up until the WC more than entering the doors of a big club

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Eriksen would be a brilliant signing. A player like him who relies more on his mental and technical attributes rather than physicality can easily play at the top level until his mid-30s. Look at Scholes, Modric, etc. for instance.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Does he want to come here, though? Don't want another di Maria.

GreatDane

I'm trying not to be biased as a dane, but I really think he would be an excellent signing om a free.
He's quiet but driven and would never rock the boat, excellent set-pieces and passing and not a bad finisher. His technique and intelligence is great.

It should be an instant yes from us, but I don't know if he see it the same way. My guess is that his familys choice is the most important part for him.

ThanksBoss26

I'd take him for the reasons many have already mentioned but if he does leave Brentford (which I don't think is a given) I reckon it'll be to Spurs. Having said that Conte didn't always pick him at Inter towards the end did he?

Status
Not open for further replies.