Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

theklr

How old was t
A signing we should stay away from. He didn't want to join us, and if he does want to now it will be for the money only.

If 6 months ago you didn't want to join us, why should we take him when he has fewer options?

I would take Maddison over him all day.
Of course, but maybe Maddison doesnt want to come. Who else then would be better than Eriksen and would want to come to United?

I'm all for getting players that have a genuine want to play for United, but sometimes one have to just be clear that money speaks.

Look at many of the City players when they first came because of the money - they turned out alright didnt they?

Could always tie alot of the wages up for performance bonuses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainoldo

Pirlo didn't play in the Premier League.
Quite literally, a different ball game.....and I'm not saying that Eriksen is finished, just that at 27, perhaps we have already seen his best years.

Put it this way, Eriksen's star isn't on the rise, at best he has reached a plateau, at worst he is in decline.
It's a very similar situation as Matic in some ways, and within 18 months or so, you are back in the market looking for a replacement.
To my mind, United are better looking for a player such as Maddison who's star is on the rise.
This is a player that will get better and better and give years of top service.

If we are going to recruit players with no more than a two year view, then I don't see this as teh way to build progress..
Why does what league they played in matter? Giggs got player of the reason years after he was apparently finished? Matic is just literally too slow to play in this league. This is not Eriksen’s problem. He’s not getting physically over run or out muscled he’s just not doing anything. He’s never been explosive or relied on pace which is a perfect indicator of season a decline in a player ala a Micheal Owen. So what exactly is he declining in?

Maddison might get better and better but to be completely honest he is not at the same level of Eriksen talent wise and I’m not sure he ever will be. Name me the last elite ACM that was English? We don’t have many. He’s 27 not dead he had far more years in him than 2. He can play at this level until he’s 33. Look at Modric.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s never been explosive or relied on pace which is a perfect indicator of season a decline in a player ala a Micheal Owen. So what exactly is he declining in?.
Best bet is to listen to match going Spurs supporters, hear what they have to say about Erikson's performances, it's similar to what match going Chelsea supporters were saying about Matic.
Three years ago, Eriksen would have been a dream signing, but look at how poor he is performing for Spurs now, because he doesn't want to be there, and the thing is, he doesn't want to be at OT either.

I think that there is a huge question mark about whether or not he can recapture his form of old, and we have had our fingers burnt too often in recent years, in similar situations.

Mainoldo

Best bet is to listen to match going Spurs supporters, hear what they have to say about Erikson's performances, it's similar to what match going Chelsea supporters were saying about Matic.
Three years ago, Eriksen would have been a dream signing, but look at how poor he is performing for Spurs now, because he doesn't want to be there, and the thing is, he doesn't want to be at OT either.

I think that there is a huge question mark about whether or not he can recapture his form of old, and we have had our fingers burnt too often in recent years, in similar situations.
Well if I listened to match going supporters of Pogba I’d think Noble was a better player.

He’s out of form but it’s not the same as Matic who lost complete mobility. He might not want to be there but he’s not going to Madrid because they don’t want him. So he’ll have to make a choice soon and I’m sure if he decides to come here it’s because he is happy to do so.

frookydinho

Would it be fair to say Eriksons form has seen a direct impact on the form of Kane. Kane hasn't been banging them in like he usually does, is Erikson a reason for that. If so it does show how good a player he is when hes on song

Bestietom

Eriksen would definitely improve us and I'm sure Martial and Rashford would benefit from his defence splitting passes. Sign him up.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What is a thing?
Rounding ages up to make them seem older, not that 28 is old anyway.

When you say he's in decline, are you basing this on his age or something else?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rounding ages up to make them seem older, not that 28 is old anyway.
I said he's nearly 28. He'll be 28 in just 3 months + 1 day away. I think that's a fair comment to make

romufc

How old was t

Of course, but maybe Maddison doesnt want to come. Who else then would be better than Eriksen and would want to come to United?

I'm all for getting players that have a genuine want to play for United, but sometimes one have to just be clear that money speaks.

Look at many of the City players when they first came because of the money - they turned out alright didnt they?

Could always tie alot of the wages up for performance bonuses.
Yes but we don't know if Maddison wants to come or not, what we know is he is a United fan and Erisken didnt want to come as he was waiting for Madrid.

I would rather try get Bruno Fernandez than someone who thinks we are second choice.

Ofcourse money speaks, and when City signed these players they were all young upcoming players who came with to city because there was a plan. There was a clear direction that they want to win trophies, it isn't the same with United.

When City signed Aguero, Silva, Kompany the money offered was huge and there was no competition. Now you have China, MLS and all too.

theklr

Yes but we don't know if Maddison wants to come or not, what we know is he is a United fan and Erisken didnt want to come as he was waiting for Madrid.

I would rather try get Bruno Fernandez than someone who thinks we are second choice.

Ofcourse money speaks, and when City signed these players they were all young upcoming players who came with to city because there was a plan. There was a clear direction that they want to win trophies, it isn't the same with United.

When City signed Aguero, Silva, Kompany the money offered was huge and there was no competition. Now you have China, MLS and all too.
Of course, I dont mean that we shouldnt try for others (B.Fernandes obviously isnt rated by OGS though).

But if Eriksen is the only one which resembles a top-class midfielder we can get in January we are absolutely required to take that risk in my opinion. Just have him on a short term contract with many wage add-onns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toni Roncoroni

Eriksen would be a dream signing for me. He is pure quality. Yes, he doesn't have a good season till know, but like everybody else at Spurs. Also we do not have a good season at all.

I think if we are giving Mata a two year contract we can easily go all out for Eriksen in January or the latest in Summer when he is a free agent. Yes, he is soon 28 years old but come on. Do we really only want to play with young runners? Because you can see where this gets you at United this season.

We need a player like Eriksen who can unlock a defense with clever passes. We don't have a single player with the qualities of him in our squad. Would love to see him here.

ivaldo

Arguing with another member
I said he's nearly 28. He'll be 28 in just 3 months + 1 day away. I think that's a fair comment to make
Why not say he's 27? That is his age after all.

'Its my birthday soon.'
'When is it?'
'February.'

Well...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

'Its my birthday soon.'
'When is it?'
'February.'

Well...
I think that saying that someone whose 3 months away to be 28 as being nearly 28 isn't wrong or outrageous. Please go and find someone else to bother.

Pace Abuser

'Its my birthday soon.'
'When is it?'
'February.'

Well...
He's "nearly 28" is a lot more accurate than to say he's 27, as that decreases his actual age by 9 months.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
28 is also almost 30. Which is twice the age of Lingard.

redshaw

It's worth noting he's nearly 28 when it's 4 months away and if we sign him in the summer he'll be 28 and 6 months when he kicks a ball for us, not 27.

Not that I think he's coming here. I expect a mainland European club will take him for free.

romufc

Just have him on a short term contract with many wage add-onns.
Do you think he will sign on a short term contract?

More importantly, do you think Ed Woodward would do that? He would probably hear Real are interested and pay £300k a week.

Bestietom

Of course, I dont mean that we shouldnt try for others (B.Fernandes obviously isnt rated by OGS though).

But if Eriksen is the only one which resembles a top-class midfielder we can get in January we are absolutely required to take that risk in my opinion. Just have him on a short term contract with many wage add-onns.
He wanted to move to Real, but they don't seem to be interested. But wherever he goes he intends for it to be his last contract, so that means we have to offer him that.

ivaldo

Taking a thread off topic

'Its my birthday soon.'
'When is it?'
'February.'

Well...
Apparently, this is worthy of warning points. Pathetic.

Gordon S

Our luck with "older"players is brutal. Rooney, Schweinsteiger, Falcao, Sanchez and probably a few more have looked semiretired before they even reached 30. He should really have a few more years left at the top but i think it's best to look at the up and coming players instead.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maguire is soon 27 y.o. this coming March, a year younger than Eriksen. Thank god we signed him this summer. Because next Season he's starting to decline and will be retired soon.

Poor Madrid, spending all those money on Hazard at the age of 28. Now all they're getting is a washed up who only there collecting money as retiree.

Mane, Salah and Griezmann are not welcome here. You are also too old already.

Last edited:

AkaAkuma

Maguire is soon 27 y.o. this coming March, a year younger than Eriksen. Thank god we signed him this summer. Because next Season he's starting to decline and will be retired soon.

Poor Madrid, spending all those money on Hazard at the age of 28. Now all they're getting is a washed up who only there collecting money as retiree.
Its not always about age though, Eriksen has been playing since he was a teenager, its not unrealistic to say that his peak may have been earlier.

Pogba - 15 March 1993 - Total Games 326
Maguire - 5 March 1993 - Total Games 348
Eriksen - 14 February 1992 - Total Games 453

Despite that I'd sign him if available, Maddison will still be available in 2-3 years if the deal fails.

Lost bear

Our luck with "older"players is brutal. Rooney, Schweinsteiger, Falcao, Sanchez and probably a few more have looked semiretired before they even reached 30. He should really have a few more years left at the top but i think it's best to look at the up and coming players instead.
I agree. It’s not so much a matter of his age for me, but of a sluggishness in his play that was not always there. He just has the atmosphere of someone I’d steer clear of. Just an opinion based on watching players play (good heavens!), but I would prefer someone like Bruno Fernandez.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Its not always about age though, Eriksen has been playing since he was a teenager, its not unrealistic to say that his peak may have been earlier.

Pogba - 15 March 1993 - Total Games 326
Maguire - 5 March 1993 - Total Games 348
Eriksen - 14 February 1992 - Total Games 453

Despite that I'd sign him if available, Maddison will still be available in 2-3 years if the deal fails.
Hazard, 557 games
Firmino, 416
Griezmann, 473
Kevin De Bruyne, 414

They're all also a year older than Eriksen (to my knowledge, who's never had any major injury throughout his career). I'm not sure I'd say no to any of those.

AkaAkuma

Hazard, 557 games
Firmino, 416
Griezmann, 473
Kevin De Bruyne, 414

They're all also a year older than Eriksen (to my knowledge, who's never had any major injury throughout his career). I'm not sure I'd say no to any of those.
My point is you can't measure a players peak against his age. He's played more games than Firmino who is a 1.5yrs older and just a few less than griezmann who's a year older.

I'd still take Eriksen, he's a risk, but as a club we can make those and not suffer significantly.

Okey

Judgement on Eriksen will have to depend on what alternatives we have lined up in the creative midfield department. Otherwise it's pretty funny to be turning up our noses (not every one of course) at him in a position where our options are Mata, Lingard and Pereira. Night and day...

fergie_god

I'd rather not. We need to sign these players when we can get the majority of their prime years. With the fast pace that modern football is run in we are seeing more and more attacking midfielders drop hard once they hit 29. He might be good for a season or two but beyond that its a risk.

devips

Yes, let's pay 350k pw wage for a player so obviously in decline, and then repent at leisure. Our fans never learn!

Ban

I'd rather not. We need to sign these players when we can get the majority of their prime years. With the fast pace that modern football is run in we are seeing more and more attacking midfielders drop hard once they hit 29. He might be good for a season or two but beyond that its a risk.
You have any examples with 29 thing? I'm not trying to start an argument, just wondering cause Cafe seems to have a problem with a magic number 29.
Some players decline at that age, some later. He could give us 4,5 years, who knows.
He's certainly out of form now, that's for sure

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Eriksen already has the pace of a crushed snail though doesn't he, so not quite sure what physical decline there would be?
It's not like Sanchez, whose whole game was acceleration, strength and thrust

Dve

I´d be very surprised if Ole sign Eriksen. Clearly, United is not his first choice, so it would go against everything Ole said he would do.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How do we know what are Eriksen's choices and their ranking?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You have any examples with 29 thing? I'm not trying to start an argument, just wondering cause Cafe seems to have a problem with a magic number 29.
Some players decline at that age, some later. He could give us 4,5 years, who knows.
He's certainly out of form now, that's for sure
I just turned 29 this year, I think the Cafe would have retired me by now if I was playing.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'd really doubt that very much.
If Maddison continues to perform as he is currently, then he will undoubtedly be well settled and playing a major role for top CL team, and very unlikely to be available for transfer.

SoCross

Don’t doubt his talent but serious question marks about his motivation if he ever makes the move to United.

Much rather go for an up and coming player.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If we were set on Haaland, it would be wise to go to someone a bit more experienced behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.