Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
His 'game age' is more relevant than his 'passport age'.

461-games-old is very high, especially in the modern game. The vast majority of players (with the exception of a handful of freaks) decline sharply at around 500.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

461-games-old is very high, especially in the modern game. The vast majority of players (with the exception of a handful of freaks) decline sharply at around 500.
I’d like to see the data you’ve used on this.

Dante

Average bang
I’d like to see the data you’ve used on this.
Only 13 players have played more than 500 games in the Premier League.

That's not definitive (because it misses games in other competitions, amongst other things), but it is indicative of how difficult it is to play anywhere near that number at the top end of the modern game. That's enough to be able to say they're a small minority.

This thread is about Eriksen. His decline looks like it's starting, if you watch him play. The comparisons to Sanchez, Fabregas, Torres, RvP, Rooney, et al are there to see. Players who start young, often end young (with the opposite generally being true for late bloomers).

It's not a certainty about anyone. But in this particular case, the signs are showing.

redshaw

Technical play makers tend to peak once they get into their late 20's and early 30's. E.g. Modric only moved to Madrid a week or so before his 27th birthday and won the Ballon D'Or when he was 33. Eriksen's game isn't reliant too heavily on pace and physicality so I wouldn't expect him to decline for a good few years yet.

I'm not saying Eriksen is as good as Modric but signing someone who is still to turn 28, especially a play maker, isn't the worst thing.
No doubt he's a quality player and his game doesn't rely on him being younger. I'd actually like to see him here if wants to come. We've been desperately short of quality players for many years and really lack any depth.

ivaldo

Only 13 players have played more than 500 games in the Premier League.

That's not definitive (because it misses games in other competitions, amongst other things), but it is indicative of how difficult it is to play anywhere near that number at the top end of the modern game. That's enough to be able to say they're a small minority.

This thread is about Eriksen. His decline looks like it's starting, if you watch him play. The comparisons to Sanchez, Fabregas, Torres, RvP, Rooney, et al are there to see. Players who start young, often end young (with the opposite generally being true for late bloomers).

It's not a certainty about anyone. But in this particular case, the signs are showing.
Eriksen has only played 200 odd in the Premier League. Looks like he has 335 club appearances in total, so a significant portion of those games have been in a league that is less physically demanding.

Dante

Average bang
Eriksen has only played 200 odd in the Premier League. Looks like he has 335 club appearances in total, so a significant portion of those games have been in a league that is less physically demanding.
You can't get certainty on matters like this.

A bit like your idolisation of Fabrizio Romano, you're looking for definite answers which can give you a satisfying sense of security. The world doesn't work that way. It's rarely that easy.

The limits of the human body can be seen throughout history. But judging each case on its own, together with that history, does at least give you a reasonable way to make an educated guess.

Everyone ages at different rates. His age on his passport can't reflect that as well as looking at the player he is and has been. Eriksen is getting on in terms of games played, and his stamina is waning.

ivaldo

You can't get certainty on matters like this.

A bit like your idolisation of Fabrizio Romano, you're looking for definite answers which can give you a satisfying sense of security. The world doesn't work that way. It's rarely that easy.

The limits of the human body can be seen throughout history. But judging each case on its own, together with that history, does at least give you a reasonable way to make an educated guess.

Everyone ages at different rates. His age on his passport can't reflect that as well as looking at the player he is and has been. Eriksen is getting on in terms of games played, and his stamina is waning.
Erm, what? :lol: Try to be an adult and leave out the petty insults, particularly when I'm fairly certain you seem to have me missed up with someone else. I have mentioned his name a whopping 3 times in the 7 years I've been a member here. Idol!

No it is rarely that easy. So when your basis of his decline is to use players that you freely admit are all individuals and do not constitute a norm, and you use of what is increasingly looking like an arbitrary number for when players decline, I'm going to question that. Now if you actually had some data to back up this number then I'd be very interested to read it. Hence why I asked. Otherwise, for every Rooney or Torres you give, I can give you a Giggs or a Zlatan.

Offsideagain

Does he do enough running for an Ole team? Ace at free kick and maybe he could solve our can’t score from a corner disease by dropping it on Harry’s head.

Art Vandelay

Does he do enough running for an Ole team? Ace at free kick and maybe he could solve our can’t score from a corner disease by dropping it on Harry’s head.
Not sure about since he lost form, but yeah he covers a lot of ground and does a good amount of pressing. He's not a luxury player.

izec

He was never going to come here, so if it is Inter, Juve or Paris, doesn't matter much. He would be starting for Inter every game though, i am not sure that would be the case with the other two.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Are you guys joking? He'd be an excellent buy. Amazing ball passer, crazy stamina, can score from set pieces. He still has 3-4 years at top level

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

How many of those 461 games were as a sub out of interest?

ArjenIsM3

Will be a pisstake if he goes to Inter for 20 mil quid.
Why's that? It's obvious he wants to leave the PL. Been reported over 100 times. Serie A and La Liga are the most obvious destinations. Inter currently top the Serie A, so how is it a pisstake?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Why's that? It's obvious he wants to leave the PL. Been reported over 100 times. Serie A and La Liga are the most obvious destinations. Inter currently top the Serie A, so how is it a pisstake?
Pretty sure it's been reported that he wants to leave Spurs due to salary restraints, just because Juve/RM are namedropped every now and then it doesn't mean he wants to leave the EPL.

RUCK4444

Why on earth would he choose Inter. Other than its location.

If he wants to win things.

Fridge chutney

We should buy him. We desperately need someone like him to work with our front 3. And what an upgrade he'd be over Lingard.

Red00012

I don’t really want him and I doubt he wants to stay in England but he would relegate Lingard to the bench so I can’t really say no to anyone who would do that for me.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Pretty sure it's been reported that he wants to leave Spurs due to salary restraints, just because Juve/RM are namedropped every now and then it doesn't mean he wants to leave the EPL.
Nope, in fact he's said the opposite. We're offering him £200k a week, which would put him in a bracket few players are in worldwide.

From the beginning of his career, he's mapped out where he wants to reach. He's kind of fecked himself with his form in the last year or so and overplayed his hand you feel because I think he really felt one of RM or Barcelona would come in hard for him. But they didn't seem all that interested.

Inter would be a good move for him. Top of the league, I can see them winning it in the next few seasons. Slower pace. I hope for his sake he'd rediscover his form there. I like him as a man and as a player, even if he has been mostly much poorer than usual for a full calendar year now.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Nope, in fact he's said the opposite. We're offering him £200k a week, which would put him in a bracket few players are in worldwide.

From the beginning of his career, he's mapped out where he wants to reach. He's kind of fecked himself with his form in the last year or so and overplayed his hand you feel because I think he really felt one of RM or Barcelona would come in hard for him. But they didn't seem all that interested.

Inter would be a good move for him. Top of the league, I can see them winning it in the next few seasons. Slower pace. I hope for his sake he'd rediscover his form there. I like him as a man and as a player, even if he has been mostly much poorer than usual for a full calendar year now.
Oh, I stand corrected then.

Inter will win feck all though but I get the logics behind it.

ArjenIsM3

Why on earth would he choose Inter. Other than its location.

If he wants to win things.
Well he's said himself he wants "something new" and a new country and competition certainly is a much bugger change than swapping clubs within the same competition. Have read several articles stating he'd prefer moving abroad too.

Also, Inter currently top the Serie A and have a decent chance of winning it.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Oh, I stand corrected then.

Inter will win feck all though but I get the logics behind it.
That's fair, though I do hope they win the league this season. I think in Eriksen's mind, Real Madrid/ Barcelona were going to pursue him as aggressively as they did Hazard/ Coutinho. When it didn't materialise, I imagine his ego took a bit of a bruising.

I don't begrudge him a move at all, even for a free actually. He's been an excellent player for us for the most part, consistent and worked hard. Let the speculation affect him to some degree I think in the last year and hasn't dealt with this situation as well as he could have but can't have everything. Seems he's just in need of a change in scenery (I'm sure money, trophies and other things do also come into play).

I wish him all the best wherever he goes.

Kostur

海尔的老板
That's fair, though I do hope they win the league this season. I think in Eriksen's mind, Real Madrid/ Barcelona were going to pursue him as aggressively as they did Hazard/ Coutinho. When it didn't materialise, I imagine his ego took a bit of a bruising.

I don't begrudge him a move at all, even for a free actually. He's been an excellent player for us for the most part, consistent and worked hard. Let the speculation affect him to some degree I think in the last year and hasn't dealt with this situation as well as he could have but can't have everything. Seems he's just in need of a change in scenery (I'm sure money, trophies and other things do also come into play).

I wish him all the best wherever he goes.
Fair game man, thanks for the clear up.

Wish he joined us though, cannot lie, especially for the price quoted.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Fair game man, thanks for the clear up.

Wish he joined us though, cannot lie, especially for the price quoted.
No worries!

Yeah I think an Eriksen with the bit between his teeth is an asset, at the very least off the bench, for any squad in the world.

The price quoted is amazing, especially if he can regain his form. At this point from our pov, any fee is better than nothing this summer and allows us to start moving on I think. Best for all parties involved.

Kostur

海尔的老板
No worries!

Yeah I think an Eriksen with the bit between his teeth is an asset, at the very least off the bench, for any squad in the world.

The price quoted is amazing, especially if he can regain his form. At this point from our pov, any fee is better than nothing this summer and allows us to start moving on I think. Best for all parties involved.
Aye, especially given you're not risking it by selling to a league rival.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We should buy him. We desperately need someone like him to work with our front 3. And what an upgrade he'd be over Lingard.
this. Literally anyone would be an upgrade on lingard. Even if he came in and only half performed to his best we’d still be far far more productive with him than with the clown JLingz or mata. I would only be against this if it stopped us signing the like of Havertz or someone shrewd and exciting like that.

Regarding his decline I agree it has to be a big worry on huge wages and most likely a very long deal. I said it about Sanchez leaving Udinese and barca and I think it’s the same with this guy and Ajax. You buy the player before he hits his absolute peak of fitness, ability and desire to win instead of chasing them after they’ve peaked and had a few bad injuries

croadyman

I have had the feeling all along that Utd aren't really bothered about bringing him in, I was even more convinced about that when it was reported that we would be prepared to wait until the summer to sign him on a free rather than pay a fee and bring him in this month, then again that is probably because he rejected us last summer and the club don't think it's worth putting in the effort for someone who seemingly isn't interested in joining at all.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Are we talking about a car or a footballer here?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

The Italian league is definitely not at a slower pace to any other league any more.
Teams like Napoli, Atalanta and now Inter play at a very high tempo,

Status
Not open for further replies.