Christian Eriksen

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
In a way it was fortunate this happened in a time and place where medics were just a few seconds and minutes a away. If it had been on a jog in his spare time he might have been dead.
Could be. Human life is so fragile. Really hoping he gets better. Poor lad.

Superunknown

If he recovers from this, it's an absolute miracle. I think everyone who saw the game live and saw those scenes were expecting the worst. Just absolutely horrible. Credit to the medical staff for getting to him so quickly, and credit to the Danish team who formed that wall around the player and looked after each other and his wife. Can't imagine what it must have been like for them.

RedDevilzFox

It's appalling they showed it all. Even knowing he's doing okay I can still feel the shock in my stomach. Makes you appreciate why most would could away. Its unpleasant viewing and very macabre that they let it play out on camera.
What did they show? All I saw was him collapsing but that was during play.

rhajdu

He is at the same age as me. I already had some concerns due to the cases of myocarditis related the 2nd shot of Pfizer vaccine what I am going to receive two weeks later. Eriksen was "lucky" enough that it happened in an environment where he could get the best possible care. Hopefully he is going to make a full recovery.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Not defending and it is was wrong. But some of the comments on here in response to showing cpr. The footage wasnt showing this directly. It was showing the human emotions, camaraderie and seriousness of the situation from the players shielding him.
Think some of the comment on here from people not watching the game may have the wrong idea of what the actual footage was from other comments.
Just glad to see Eriksen is concious and hope he makes a recovery. The most harrowing part for me was his wife on the sidelines being consoled by Kjaer and Schmeichel, it was that point I really feared the worse
But once the CPR was visible through the players' legs, they should've all cut to studio. The fact that they later showed Erikson twitch from the defibrillator is disgusting. UEFA control the feed, but all of the broadcasters could've switched to studio to discuss the situation.

Sanchez7

Wasn’t watching the game but got the bbc notification. it hits harder when it’s a player you have watched a lot of, wish him a speedy recovery.

Trophy Room

Swallowing the tongue is not uncommon during a collapse, they had to make sure he can draw breath before they start CPR. Checking for clear airways is first minute of first class in a CPR course. They did everything by the book and right
The most important thing is that he is alive. It's an unexpected high pressure/stress situation so I suspect even the medical team was taken aback initially.

FYI - it is impossible to swallow one's tongue. I guess what you meant was loss of tongue muscle tone which can block airways in this context. Usually, a problem if a patient falls on their back - Ericksen fell on his stomach/side so would not have anticipated this to have been a major issue, and shouldn't have taken that long to sort out. The most important thing is CPR and prompt defibrillation.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Pretty weird take....

They showed him on his side, eyes rolling back, and showed close ups when they were doing CPR and then with the defibrillator...

It's a bit of a fecking mile away from a positive picture of Erikson being concious
Agreed.

UncleBob

They showed him collapsed, close up of face, still closeups with treatment received, then they broadcasted him receiving CPR, medical staff using defib, they showed his missus on the pitch crying.

Not entirely sure what they didn't show.

Dudu

Uefa confirm match will restart.

Look-a-Hill

They were showing him lying on his back getting CPR for a long while. Other's have said they saw him getting treatment from a defribulator. And just the general leeriness of close ups of his team-mates stood around him. Thankfully he's well, but if this was a different story those images are gross.

MDFC Manager

Split second? Where in outer space are you? They fecking broadcasted the entire thing, even him receiving fecking cpr and them using a defib...

The player collapsed, players instantly reacted, everyone was fecking aware that it was bad....they showed a fecking closeup of his eyes, they aren't THAT fecking stupid that they didn't know what was going on
He's right though. The cameramen were doing their job. The editors and producers were a disgrace, it's them who should have cut to the studio.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Man I was nearly crying when I first saw it all. So relieved with what I am hearing now. Sounds a lot more promising.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'd advise not to go on his wiki. The article picture is someone with their wang out.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Let's hope nothing serious there, and he has full recovery soon.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

apparently his girlfriend is pregannt with their second child as well. So glad he seems past the worst of it.

RedDevilzFox

They showed him collapsed, close up of face, still closeups with treatment received, then they broadcasted him receiving CPR, medical staff using defib, they showed his missus on the pitch crying.

Not entirely sure what they didn't show.
That's not cool. I wonder if there is protocol for stuff like this. If not camera man might have been just as confused.

UncleBob

He's right though. The cameramen were doing their job. The editors and producers were a disgrace, it's them who should have cut to the studio.
How are they doing their job? They are literally filming a player dying...

Droid_Repairs

I hope he makes a full recovery, and what that means for his career is another question of course.

The silver-lining in all of this is, if you are going to have a cardiac arrest better have one in a stadium full of medics.

If that happened in training or anywhere else I wonder what would have happened.

Not a medic or a doctor, but is this just a freak occurrence? would pre-season medicals not show this? or can this simply 'just happen?"
It's impossible to say without knowing the cause. If it was a cardiac arrest as seems apparant by the pitchside CPR, there are multiple potential underlying factors. Among young athletes, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is the leading cause of cardiac arrest, but there are other conditions that can cause it, such as Brugada syndrome. To answer your question, there is screening available for HCM and most footballers are regularly tested for it. I believe there has been a major push for extensive testing since Fabrice Muamba's collapse in 2012.

Also, I've noticed in here and on Twitter people have been confusing heart attacks with cardiac arrest, they are not the same thing.

A heart attack is cardiac distress typically caused by blocked arteries. A cardiac arrest however is caused by a problem in the heart's electrical system, causing sudden cessation of heart function, loss of breathing and consciousness.

Heart attacks patients tend to remain conscious and breathing, and while heart attacks are often fatal, cardiac arrests are much more deadly and tend to have a much higher mortality rate.

Reassuring to hear Eriksen is stable, what a terrible time for him and his family.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
How are they doing their job? They are literally filming a player dying...
It's the camera crew's job to film everything that's happening. It's the editors decision what is shown.

DickDastardly

It's up to the players and coaches isn't it? If they've heard he's ok and want to play, why not play?
Except they are definetly not in the right mind to decide anything.

And it shouldn't be left to them.

They will probably have some PTSD later on.

This is disgraceful by UEFA, but as they say, the show must go on.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's impossible to say without knowing the cause. If it was a cardiac arrest as seems apparant by the pitchside CPR, there are multiple potential underlying factors. Among young athletes, dilated cardiomyopathy is the leading cause of cardiac arrest, but there are other conditions that can cause it, such as Brugada syndrome. To answer your question, there is screening available for HCM and most footballers are regularly tested for it. I believe there has been a major push for extensive testing since Fabrice Muamba's collapse in 2012.

Also, I've noticed in here and on Twitter people have been confusing heart attacks with cardiac arrest, they are not the same thing.

A heart attack is cardiac distress typically caused by blocked arteries. A cardiac arrest however is caused by a problem in the heart's electrical system, causing sudden cessation of heart function, loss of breathing and consciousness.

Heart attacks patients tend to remain conscious and breathing, and while heart attacks are often fatal, cardiac arrests are much more deadly and tend to have a much higher mortality rate.

Reassuring to hear Eriksen is stable, what a terrible time for him and his family.
I'd imagine there are different gradations of HCM that yield different outcomes, which may explain why he lived.

Dansk

In a way it was fortunate this happened in a time and place where medics were just a few seconds and minutes a away. If it had been on a jog in his spare time he might have been dead.
And the country's main hospital is literally right next to the stadium.

AlexUTD

So crazy to watch Eriksen to be running around for then to fall over so quick and not breathing.

Danish news said his gf was standing on the field with Kasper Smeichel and Simon Kjær crying...

Im so happy that he is awake and talking!
His family must be so relieved.