Christian Eriksen

He collapsed on the pitch, But is awake and stable in hospital.
Uknown cause of collapse on the pitch. Received extenisve CPR after less than a minute and was eventually taken off the pitch concious on a stretcher. He's currently in hospital for testing and further treatment
Collapsed out of nowhere, no one near him. Seemed completely unresponsive, and they administered CPR. It was, naturally, very dramatic and harrowing to see.
How awful, hopefully he makes a full recovery!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So crazy to watch Eriksen to be running around for then to fall over so quick and not breathing.

Danish news said his gf was standing on the field with Kasper Smeichel and Simon Kjær crying...

Im so happy that he is awake and talking!
His family must be so relieved.
Yep it was horrible to see. His partner on the pitch in shock not being able to go to him.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
What do people think of the decision to complete the game? Seems crazy in the light of the emotional rollercoaster all the players have been on today……but they apparently asked for it?

krentz

Dont think the critical moment has passed just because he's awaken and stabilised. I remember sevilla player, Antonio Puerta collapsing on the pitch. He somehow managed to wake up and walk off the pitch to the ambulance only to die 3 days later at the hospital. I think @Penna can explain better than me in this one.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Dont think the critical moment has passed just because he's awaken and stabilised. I remember sevilla player, Antonio Puerta collapsing on the pitch. He somehow managed to wake up and walk off the pitch to the ambulance only to die 3 days later at the hospital. I think @Penna can explain better than me in this one.
It all depends of course on what's actually happened (stating the obvious). If it's his heart, there's a lot they can do now they know there's a problem. The heart is just a pump, it's not like having an issue with your brain.

rio's upper lip

Assuming his condition continues to improve and recovers fully - what's next for Eriksen? Is this a career ender? Someone with "expertise" please shed a light on this...

pascell

Eriksen on the ground had a very real chance of being the last images of his life. To broadcast someone dying is not right.

Eriksen on the stretcher concious and alert is the image absolutely everyone wants to see, because we are happy for him. They saved his life. It's cause for celebration.
Completely agree. Comes down to class and respect, neither which this fella tweeting seems to have.

We need an rvn

What's quick enough?
Its a very rare occurrence that one is needed on a pitch.
To be fair we are a village club and have a defib in the club house in theory 20 seconds from anyone on our pitches. I don't expect many clubs at all to be like us as we had a few incidents in , but at any professional match I'd expect a defib pitch side within 10 seconds of being called on.

All seems ok and given the seriousness of the situation what is 1 minute...but still, they should have been on quicker

Mike Smalling

Assuming his condition continues to improve and recovers fully - what's next for Eriksen? Is this a career ender? Someone with "expertise" please shed a light on this...
I have no expertise, but Muamba was advised to end his career I believe. Risk is too high.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Except they are definetly not in the right mind to decide anything.

And it shouldn't be left to them.

They will probably have some PTSD later on.

This is disgraceful by UEFA, but as they say, the show must go on.
Where did you read about UEFA forcing them to play?

0le

It looked so innocuous as well. Someone threw him the ball, it hit his knee and he just collapses. Glad to read that he is okay, but it really is a stark reminder of how fragile life is and how everything can be taken away from you in split second.

We need an rvn

What do people think of the decision to complete the game? Seems crazy in the light of the emotional rollercoaster all the players have been on today……but they apparently asked for it?
Maybe they wanted to do it for him.

I completely agree, it seems an amazing decision - but they have another match in 4 days or so - so either they play or I have no idea what.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I was watching the game with my 8 year old and he couldn't understand a lot, we were trying to shield him best we could but he's no mug

He's just brought in a get well card he's been drawing in his room for erikson, I've had to run off to the bathroom to hide my tears - I'm in bits! Kids really know how to hit you in the feels

So glad there's encouraging news!
Give that lad an extra hug from all of us tonight. What a little legend.

We need an rvn

It looked so innocuous as well. Someone threw him the ball, it hit his knee and he just collapses. Glad to read that he is okay, but it really is a stark reminder of how fragile life is and how everything can be taken away from you in split second.
I started crying and haven't cried in years...really hit me for some reason. Asked the kids to leave the room after seeing the defib hit him and then tears flowed. So relieved but damn..what an emotional night

PoTMS

You could see him stumbling a few steps as he turned around just before he collapsed. Awful scenes.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Nobody really knows what caused it yet. Could be (fingers crossed) a surgery to fix something and he's back in a few months.

He's done pretty much everything a guy can dream of in football, played across the world, won leagues, cups, played at world cups and made a fortune. Even if he is able to play again, I wouldn't blame him for retiring to spend time with his young family.

Split second? Where in outer space are you? They fecking broadcasted the entire thing, even him receiving fecking cpr and them using a defib...

The player collapsed, players instantly reacted, everyone was fecking aware that it was bad....they showed a fecking closeup of his eyes, they aren't THAT fecking stupid that they didn't know what was going on
Yeah and those decisions are made by the editor in a backroom, deciding which camera ia going out live.

Also, we live in a society where nobody cared when a dead toddler face down on the beach was all over our tvs and newspapers a couple of years ago. There's horrible imagery shown all the time,

I find it a bit silly that the Eriksen incdient quickly turns from empathy for him to the mob wanting to get angry and somehow find someone to blame.

Anyone that didn't want to see it could turn off their tv

Red_Aaron

So many kind comments about my son - thanks everyone (if I was competent enough I'd tag you all but I'm not)

My lads happy now the news has come through and I'm just really glad we can all breathe a sigh of relief. The reaction on here gives me faith in humanity

All love to Christian Eriksen and the wider football family

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Its a very horrible scene...you can see all the players reaction and emotions on the pitch, they are all in shock and in tears.. there's very real chance something very bad happened... but very glad to hear he is ok now, lets hope him getting well soon...

abundance

Supports
Inter
Man I just found out, and saw the clip.
Fukin chillin. O_O
Very glad to have discovered this only when it's already clear that he'll survive.

TheMitz

I had a heart attack in December last year, although I didn't need CPR so can only say how it was for me. My artery was furred up and I had a stent fitted.

I'm twice his age but my job was nowhere near as physically demanding, I was advised to finish work if i could afford to.

I can't see him playing again for the sake of his health.

just a massive relief he's survived it.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I had a heart attack in December last year, although I didn't need CPR so can only say how it was for me. My artery was furred up and I had a stent fitted.

I'm twice his age but my job was nowhere near as physically demanding, I was advised to finish work if i could afford to.

I can't see him playing again for the sake of his health.

just a massive relief he's survived it.
A cardiac arrest is completely different from a heart attack though.

Heart attacks are blockages which restricts blood flow, which eventually results in a heart attack through the lack of supply (restricted supply to the heart).

Cardiac arrests are when the hearts natural rhythm is disrupted, leading to basically the heart having an irregular rhythm basically an uncontrollable spasm. Those people often are young and fit, and without a defib often people can be dead in minutes from that (people don't generally survive 3-4 minutes without CPR + a defib).

Luckily he was in a stadium full of medics.

I think it's unlikely he will play again though.

Hope you are in good health after your heart attack.

Member 101269

You could see him stumbling a few steps as he turned around just before he collapsed. Awful scenes.
Yes, awful scenes.

Then his partner crying, his team mates distraught and the coverage showing medics work on him.

I don’t want to make any medical assumptions; I hope, as a human, he is, as reported, moving forward in recovery.

Football, as with any business is a human construct. If anyway, managers or others feel it’s right to watch this or encourage detrimental health of another, they need to take a long hard look at themselves and what business they have helped create.

kyofusho

So, so thankful that the ref and the players closest at the time realised the seriousness of the situation so soon and alerted the medical staff. All those seconds saved thanks to quick decision making must have made a difference.

Really pleased to read of his recovery in the hospital. I hope the positive trends continue and his family can spend some time with him as he recovers. Such a traumatic experience.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No-one could have blamed them for saying no chance.
But if they've had a lift that Eriksen is stable, and perhaps he's even said go ahead himself, then it's almost like a tribute to him to carry on.

Tough ask though. For the 2 hour gap cold in the middle too.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
No-one could have blamed them for saying no chance.
But if they've had a lift that Eriksen is stable, and perhaps he's even said go ahead himself, then it's almost like a tribute to him to carry on.

Tough ask though. For the 2 hour gap cold in the middle too.
Yes, fair points all

A cardiac arrest is completely different from a heart attack though.

Heart attacks are blockages which restricts blood flow, which eventually results in a heart attack through the lack of supply (restricted supply to the heart).

Cardiac arrests are when the hearts natural rhythm is disrupted, leading to basically the heart having an irregular rhythm basically an uncontrollable spasm. Those people often are young and fit, and without a defib often people can be dead in minutes from that (people don't generally survive 3-4 minutes without CPR + a defib).

Luckily he was in a stadium full of medics.

I think it's unlikely he will play again though.

Hope you are in good health after your heart attack.
i would be surprised if he plays again. Obviously the most important thing is he’s alive. He’s had a good career as well that he can look back on.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
To be fair we are a village club and have a defib in the club house in theory 20 seconds from anyone on our pitches. I don't expect many clubs at all to be like us as we had a few incidents in , but at any professional match I'd expect a defib pitch side within 10 seconds of being called on.

All seems ok and given the seriousness of the situation what is 1 minute...but still, they should have been on quicker
I don't disagree at all but the question now is what is the defib protocol at this level ?

Where is the guy stationed ?
I'm so relieved it was there anyway.