Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

Great player and it is a wonderful story the way he has come back to the game at Brentford but leaving aside any romantic notions it would be idiotic to sign him at this point in his career. We cannot afford to make short term signings moving forward if we are to stand any chance of closing the gap on City and Liverpool.

Dolf

He does still has a high level. Personally Eriksen is a kind of player i would use the words pleasure to watch. His pass foot, with both feet, football vision and intelligence. Make him 1 out of a million. Eriksen is a unique player. He is so precise with one and few touches football. And Eriksen is a kind of player Harry Kane and attacking player will love to play with. He will feeds you with consistent passes and service on high level. His creative is really high. A baller and footie player.

If he can come to United on free transfer. I think it can turn out to be a good deal and decision. His consistent high quality of service. Even Bruno will be hard to match. Personally i think Eriksen is even more precise with the ball than Bruno.
Eriksen is such a guy it is easy to like Kante and Scholes. Those players dont talk a lot. But they let theirs feets talking. Eriksen is that kind of player.

I can see him suit in as RCM option in a 433 formation. Like this:

Raphinha - Eriksen(8) - Fred - Bruno (8) - Rashford/Sancho + Ronaldo/Rashford . There you have a good 6 line up good enough to battle for league title with a complete solid backline and goalkeeper behind them and with a strong squad depth of course.

Eriksen high ball skill level would suit Raphinha, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho and Ronaldo. All those boys are capable of playing on a really high precise attacking football.

And about how long Eriksen can keep playing? If he can keep hold on with the intensity of premier league. What he has showing of his comeback so far. Eriksen has always been easy on the toes player. Like Modric. So i can see Eriksen keep paying on the top level to 35. He is so precise with his right foot and passes. So he will make the ball run with his precise passes.

United might be without Champion league next season. Eriksen can be a right solution and decision. Make a team and squad that are challenging for premier league as long as possible.

Then bringing on such a high qualities level of attacking and creative players like Eriksen and Raphinha. United will become one of the team that will score most in the league.

Rashford or Ronaldo as CF will score 20 + goals plus next season. If United and the new manager bring on Eriksen and Raphinha.

With the consistent high quality of service from Raphinha, Eriksen, Bruno and Sancho. I can promise Rashford or Ronaldo as United CF in a 433 will score over 20 goals playing regular over 3000 minutes.

Every success behind a CF is = consistent top quality of service. United CF will get this from adding Eriksen and Raphinha to the team. 100 % convinced about that.
You must be joking

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Great player and it is a wonderful story the way he has come back to the game at Brentford but leaving aside any romantic notions it would be idiotic to sign him at this point in his career. We cannot afford to make short term signings moving forward if we are to stand any chance of closing the gap on City and Liverpool.
Not that I want us to sign Eriksen per se, but I don’t get the correlation here. Ultimately, we just need to make successful signings. And a 20 year old player is just as capable of giving you 3 good years and leaving as a 30 year old is.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We have to build a competitive squad, not just a team so on a free transfer why not? He can take a slot surely

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
We have to build a competitive squad, not just a team so on a free transfer why not? He can take a slot surely
I'm sure that playing every week, coupled with his desire to go to the World Cup influenced his decision to pick Brentford. On that basis I don't expect him to go anywhere just to sit on the bench.

Gandalf

Not that I want us to sign Eriksen per se, but I don’t get the correlation here. Ultimately, we just need to make successful signings. And a 20 year old player is just as capable of giving you 3 good years and leaving as a 30 year old is.
We are not going to be contending for the PL title for 3 years at least with the scale of the rebuild needed and we won't get there at all without a renewed focus on signing and developing players who can be the nucleus of the team for a long time. If we gave Eriksen a 3 year deal the likelihood is that by the 3rd year of that contract he would be in the Juan Mata role of nice guy veteran that everyone likes but never plays. He has played well in a brief period since returning but let us not overlook that his peak looked behind him after the 2018-2019 season. His last half a season at Spurs and the season and a half at Inter showed a player who still had great class and ability but was physically not at the level he had been and his production dropped off accordingly. Once this brief Indian Summer at Brentford is over I think it is highly unlikely you will see him playing like he did in his mid twenties.

Devil81

Makes absolute sense to add him to our squad for nothing given the numbers we will be losing this summer.

I'd well behind this happening.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We are not going to be contending for the PL title for 3 years at least with the scale of the rebuild needed and we won't get there at all without a renewed focus on signing and developing players who can be the nucleus of the team for a long time. If we gave Eriksen a 3 year deal the likelihood is that by the 3rd year of that contract he would be in the Juan Mata role of nice guy veteran that everyone likes but never plays. He has played well in a brief period since returning but let us not overlook that his peak looked behind him after the 2018-2019 season. His last half a season at Spurs and the season and a half at Inter showed a player who still had great class and ability but was physically not at the level he had been and his production dropped off accordingly. Once this brief Indian Summer at Brentford is over I think it is highly unlikely you will see him playing like he did in his mid twenties.
A team cannot exclusively look 3 years down the line. There’s always a game on Saturday that needs to be won. And a squad needs a combination of youth and experience, otherwise these talented kids will never get to where they are trying to go leading themselves.

Gandalf

A team cannot exclusively look 3 years down the line. There’s always a game on Saturday that needs to be won. And a squad needs a combination of youth and experience, otherwise these talented kids will never get to where they are trying to go leading themselves.
We do need some experience but I still feel Eriksen is past his best and even next season would be more of a bit part player. I don't have anything against him and if we end up signing him then fair enough but I hope it is no more than a 1 year deal. We have a terrible habit of giving long term contracts when they are not warranted.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We do need some experience but I still feel Eriksen is past his best and even next season would be more of a bit part player. I don't have anything against him and if we end up signing him then fair enough but I hope it is no more than a 1 year deal. We have a terrible habit of giving long term contracts when they are not warranted.
Yea, doesn’t need to be Eriksen, and I suspect that even if it is him, then the plan is for him to indeed be a bit part player.

RVN1991

Pass. Brentford is about his level now. IDK how he did at Inter but as someone who watches more Spurs games than I'd like (My younger brother is a big Spurs supporter) I remember how terrible he was during his last year at Spurs. Maybe it was the fact that he wanted out, but he just did not look like the player he was in his early to mid 20's and I doubt he'll be better 2 years later. Great story and I'm happy for him but this should have happened when he was at Ajax not now.

James Peril

He does still has a high level. Personally Eriksen is a kind of player i would use the words pleasure to watch. His pass foot, with both feet, football vision and intelligence. Make him 1 out of a million. Eriksen is a unique player. He is so precise with one and few touches football. And Eriksen is a kind of player Harry Kane and attacking player will love to play with. He will feeds you with consistent passes and service on high level. His creative is really high. A baller and footie player.

If he can come to United on free transfer. I think it can turn out to be a good deal and decision. His consistent high quality of service. Even Bruno will be hard to match. Personally i think Eriksen is even more precise with the ball than Bruno.
Eriksen is such a guy it is easy to like Kante and Scholes. Those players dont talk a lot. But they let theirs feets talking. Eriksen is that kind of player.

I can see him suit in as RCM option in a 433 formation. Like this:

Raphinha - Eriksen(8) - Fred - Bruno (8) - Rashford/Sancho + Ronaldo/Rashford . There you have a good 6 line up good enough to battle for league title with a complete solid backline and goalkeeper behind them and with a strong squad depth of course.

Eriksen high ball skill level would suit Raphinha, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho and Ronaldo. All those boys are capable of playing on a really high precise attacking football.

And about how long Eriksen can keep playing? If he can keep hold on with the intensity of premier league. What he has showing of his comeback so far. Eriksen has always been easy on the toes player. Like Modric. So i can see Eriksen keep paying on the top level to 35. He is so precise with his right foot and passes. So he will make the ball run with his precise passes.

United might be without Champion league next season. Eriksen can be a right solution and decision. Make a team and squad that are challenging for premier league as long as possible.

Then bringing on such a high qualities level of attacking and creative players like Eriksen and Raphinha. United will become one of the team that will score most in the league.

Rashford or Ronaldo as CF will score 20 + goals plus next season. If United and the new manager bring on Eriksen and Raphinha.

With the consistent high quality of service from Raphinha, Eriksen, Bruno and Sancho. I can promise Rashford or Ronaldo as United CF in a 433 will score over 20 goals playing regular over 3000 minutes.

Every success behind a CF is = consistent top quality of service. United CF will get this from adding Eriksen and Raphinha to the team. 100 % convinced about that.
You are either on very strong drugs, or 12 years old.. it’s difficult to know which one it is. Eriksen isn’t remotely close to being as good as you make him out to be, especially not now, not even back in the days at Tottenham during his prime. Raphinha is a good player too, but he is highly inconsistent in his finally delivery and we have enough of that. Put Rashford in that Leeds-side and he’d too deliver goals and assists, but it’s about something more than that at United. Besides, Raphinha’s been pretty lacklustre this season, missing a lot of big chances and generally showing a lack of smartness in most games.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
You don't need a 30 something hasbeen with a pacemaker in your squad :nono:

All joking aside if his criteria remains the same playing time and fitness before the World Cup and staying in London where his family is settled there is a chance he sticks around next season. I am sure he isn't going to go anywhere that he might spend a lot of time on the bench that's for sure.

crossy1686

career ending
Put it this way, Eriksen has recovered quicker from being dead than Pogba and Rashford have from their injuries so he's surely worth a season or two from the bench seeing as we're losing most of our midfield this summer.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
No way. If required, there are better free transfers available to be signed.

Seriously guys ? Can't believe we are even thinking about this.

Andrew7582

How is a 30+ in decline player with heart issues going to fit in an aggressive pressing team? He's the opposite of what we should be after. Young, hungry and athletic players are needed and Eriksen ticks none of those boxes.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Put it this way, Eriksen has recovered quicker from being dead than Pogba and Rashford have from their injuries so he's surely worth a season or two from the bench seeing as we're losing most of our midfield this summer.
ffs :lol:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
:lol:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
isn't it no brainer for him to rejoin Spurs? He will have many clubs interested in his service this summer.

Superman123

Supports
Ajax
Erikssen and Donny both know the Ajax or Cruijff way of playing. They would fit perfect with ETH. Just need a great number 6 behind them and you can actualy start playing with a system as a team.

LuckyScout78

Not only James Garner. But Hannibal, McTom and all upcoming CM will learn a lot from this world class football head and vision.

Eriksen understand Ajax, 433 and total football in and out. He can be the connection between Erik Ten Hag and United players. Time to get use to 433 and total football. Have player that can show and demonstrate on the training pitch will help a lot. For players to understand the football style.

The midfield, special central midfield is big difference from 442/4231 formation

The way Eriksen spread the ball, push and set the tempo of the ball and pass. Short and long passes combination. Just pure pleasure to watch Eriksen playing football.

Kane did score lesser after Eriksen and Trippier left. Not Kane got some of the consistent service back from Kulusevski. Reason the Spurs attack colletive is starting doing well now. More players can play the quick and precise pass and movement football.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I actually wouldn't mind him if we got him as an bench option considering that both lingard and mata are leaving, he so neat and tidy great player though unfortunately past his best for reasons out of his control.

ForeverRed1

we need squad depth though, we have such small squad. We also need some experience in there as we’re going to lose a fair few older players. He’s a free transfer. You could probably get him on a 2 year contract with option to extend.

MalaysianRed7

I actually wouldn't mind him if we got him as an bench option considering that both lingard and mata are leaving, he so neat and tidy great player though unfortunately past his best for reasons out of his control.
To be honest, the Eriksen I’ve seen at Brentford, where I’ve watched all of his games, and for Denmark since his return has put in performances eclipsing most of those from the same man after the 2019 CL final. Remarkable return, where he’s managed to somehow improve after an incident like that. A true inspiration for anybody.

Would I take him? He plays exactly how ten Hag would want a creative midfielder to and it’ll be on a free transfer. If he agrees to be backup to Bruno and play on equal or slightly higher wages to the one he’s currently on at Brentford, of course I’d take him. He might even displace Bruno if they continue to put in performances like their recent ones. We have to remember that Lingard, Mata and most likely Greenwood will be gone too, so why not some short-term attacking depth who the new manager would probably love?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
To be honest, the Eriksen I’ve seen at Brentford, where I’ve watched all of his games, and for Denmark since his return has put in performances eclipsing most of those from the same man after the 2019 CL final. Remarkable return, where he’s managed to somehow improve after an incident like that. A true inspiration for anybody.

Would I take him? He plays exactly how ten Hag would want a creative midfielder to and it’ll be on a free transfer. If he agrees to be backup to Bruno and play on equal or slightly higher wages to the one he’s currently on at Brentford, of course I’d take him. He might even displace Bruno if they continue to put in performances like their recent ones. We have to remember that Lingard, Mata and most likely Greenwood will be gone too, so why not some short-term attacking depth who the new manager would probably love?
His return has indeed been exemplary and inspirational to anyone especially those who suffer from some forms of debilitating diseases it's i just don't think you could ever be the same man physically after such an incident.

Agree with the rest of your post I would love to see him as a bench option and see what ten hag does with him as he was by all reports a consummate pro and a likable person in the dressing room.

didz

I think we have to sign him. It would be silly not to try anyway.

Some people seem to think every signing should be a 22 year old from abroad, but when the new manager comes in, he'll need one or two players who he is certain can hit the ground running. Otherwise we're just setting him up to fail. Balance is required.

Besides, imagine the perspective some of our squad could gain from Eriksen. "Oh no I'm playing on the right not the left, the fans booed me, I want my Poch!" This guy fecking died!

He had his best season at Spurs playing off the right, a position we need. He's a fantastic #10, a position we're light. He's an offensive midfielder available on a free - we've got three going the other way.

It's a no brainer.

Bwuk

Yes 100%.

He’d cost us less than we are currently wasting on Lingard & Mata anyway.

Abraxas

Huh? This is the exact type of signing we make as a short term knee jerk towards a big name signing that actually makes zero sense a few months down the line when you realise what you've actually got. Which in this case is a 30 odd year old who floats around in attacking mid with a dodgy ticker. The typical highly foreseeable mistake and yet we STILL have advocates. Unbelievable.

A big admirer of him in his best years. Just a class footballer, cultured, a threat, everything you'd want in an attacking mid. But so was Juan Mata for a period.

We need to stop half arsing signings and show some ingenuity. It's about building the next side at this point, we're not bridging a gap in the short term. Young, hungry players aligned to a manager is the only way.

reddevilz007

He would be better than Bruno in our build up play.
Agreed.
We do need squad depth too, so a free transfer would be a great deal. We need some veteran to guide youngsters too. i think someone like Hannibal would greatly benefit from him.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
As a squad player, sure (he surely can’t be a starter in a high press system for Ten Hag due to his health issues). But we don’t need squad players. We need to strengthen the first team.

Nick.

As a squad player, sure (he surely can’t be a starter in a high press system for Ten Hag due to his health issues). But we don’t need squad players. We need to strengthen the first team.
Agreed but at the same time if there is five substitutes per game next season then on reasonable wages and a short contract this might not be a terrible shout. We can make more use of the squad with those extra subs.

Hughes35

On a free transfer it's a no brainer. Good character for once too.

He would add a lot to us. We need 4 or 5 signings this summer so one that can hit the ground running and provide experience is a good thing.

Mike Smalling

I'll admit, I haven't studied Ten Hag's playstyle and the type of players he uses very closely, but I would imagine Eriksen would fit his system well having gotten most of his football education at Ajax. He could absolutely add more value than van de Beek, Mata and Lingard has done combined this season. It's a low bar, but he could effectively take three players roles for the price of one.

At this stage I would take a punt on him, but I don't actually expect he will be interested. He has generally made really intelligent moves throughout his career, and I suspect he wants assurances of first team football so he will be in shape for the World Cup. Surely, he also sees the total clusterfeck we have become.

Status
Not open for further replies.