Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodzy

Such an obvious signing after losing so many players. At worst we can just think of him as a slightly younger replacement for Mata, but he should offer a lot more than that.

Kaushal

Ivan Toney is a much better penalty taker than Ronaldo though..............
Players on his wavelength - Jensen and Norgaard are his international midfield colleagues.....
:lol:
You are really fighting, aren’t you ? I hope you take it well if he rejects Brentford and the biggest contract in your history if he does move on.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
]

You are really fighting, aren’t you ? I hope you take it well if he rejects Brentford and the biggest contract in your history if he does move on.
If you had told me a few years ago we would be competing with United and Spurs in signing a world class talent like Eriksen I'd have suggested you may have lost your marbles somewhat. In the grand scheme of things and the history or supporting our club there will have been far far greater disappointments than Eriksen choosing United or Spurs ahead of us ;) Really I am just making the point that it's not a forgone conclusion that he won't sign again with us just cos it's United and Spurs that potentially want him too.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Jensen and Nørgaard doesn't start in the national eleven though.

If he doesn't pick us then I hope he stays with Brentford for what's it worth.
I know mate I wasn't being entirely serious on that ;)

Although on the Toney penalties one I absolutely was :D

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Also coincided with David Raya coming back from injury (which was massive) and being able to play our first choice back 5, so not solely down to him but he obviously played a huge part in it.
Yeah they all contributed to a brilliant finish to the season

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
To be honest, the heart attack has to be taken into account. Even if he's apparently healthy now, he will be getting very regular check-ups for the rest of his career, and there's simply no telling when his doctors might inform him that he has to stop playing then and there. That's the difficulty of signing a player with a serious medical condition. It's the reason he wasn't allowed to play in Italy at all. A player with that kind of health problem is very, very unlikely to get to retire when he wants to.

Don't get me wrong, I love Eriksen. He's been our most exciting player of this generation, and he's so likeable as well. I desperately wanted him at United a few years ago. But if we're signing him now instead of other alternatives, that's really risky with the club in the situation that it's currently in. We can't afford to plan around Eriksen only for him to be forced to retire halfway through next season, leaving us with a void in the squad. Imagine if that happens at the most important moment of the season.

If I felt confident that our other signings don't depend at all on whether or not we get Eriksen, I'd be fine with it. I'm just not convinced that that's the case. I strongly suspect that the club is after Eriksen precisely so that we don't have to spend money on somebody else, and that's worrying. He's not an added bonus on top, he's a transfer target. If we get Eriksen, it means the club won't sign somebody else in his stead, I'm quite certain of that, and that's too big a risk.

Players who have had a heart attack (and he didn't merely suffer a heart attack, he literally died from one and was revived) very rarely go on to play for years afterwards. He has done very well so far since it happened, but there's a very real chance that his doctors will one day tell him that he has to quit immediately. Even if he's a free transfer, that kind of instability is not what the club needs right now. The next couple of seasons may be the most important in this club's history.
He had cardiac arrest which is different from a heart attack. I don’t know his personal medical ins and outs obviously but a cardiac arrest can be brought on by other factors like having a virus for example. It doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s got heart disease

ZH1

Christian is under no pressure to sign anything at the moment, chances are he'll leave it another month before deciding who to go to.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He had cardiac arrest which is different from a heart attack. I don’t know his personal medical ins and outs obviously but a cardiac arrest can be brought on by other factors like having a virus for example. It doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s got heart disease
Yep, heart attack is mainly to do with a blocked artery or something stopping the blood flowing properly. Cardiac arrest is when your heart starts going mental and not working properly, which can be induced by several things, it also can be induced by absolutely nothing but your genetics.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yep, heart attack is mainly to do with a blocked artery or something stopping the blood flowing properly. Cardiac arrest is when your heart starts going mental and not working properly, which can be induced by several things, it also can be induced by absolutely nothing but your genetics.
Yes I had post op sepsis in 2017 which triggered a couple of cardiac arrests

Crashoutcassius

I think this would be a real fergie signing, on a short contract with an option for another year. If he wouldn't agree to that then fair enough maybe we move on

croadyman

Still will he won't he sign for us. If he does and we get De Jong and Antony we will have good attacking players, but we then need to concentrate on defence.
Raum, Torres and Dumfries would be nice.
Only see us getting absolute max of one FB, much as we could do with one each side

croadyman

Yeah, realistically I don't think we will sign 3 CMs (assuming Eriksen is counted as CM). Maybe year 1 will be with McT or Fred to play alongside De Jong/Eriksen, year 2 would be the next piece of puzzle or final piece of midfield puzzle.
I just worry about no proper DM in the big games

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
To be honest I remember the sepsis but not very much about those incidents. It had more impact on my wife than it did me.

and obviously posters that I argue with :)
For sure, my Father-in-Law had a cardiac arrest and doesn't remember a thing either, naturally going to affect those conscious to it happening.

Good to see it's given you good Caf ammo, gotta have something good out of it.

choccy77

Latest Twitter rumours now saying Eriksen favours United over Spurs.

I can see if we are signing him, dragging until August.

Anyone else signing him this or next week latest.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

Another unsubstantiated, unnecessary dig at the club.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
To be honest, the heart attack has to be taken into account. Even if he's apparently healthy now, he will be getting very regular check-ups for the rest of his career, and there's simply no telling when his doctors might inform him that he has to stop playing then and there. That's the difficulty of signing a player with a serious medical condition. It's the reason he wasn't allowed to play in Italy at all. A player with that kind of health problem is very, very unlikely to get to retire when he wants to.

Don't get me wrong, I love Eriksen. He's been our most exciting player of this generation, and he's so likeable as well. I desperately wanted him at United a few years ago. But if we're signing him now instead of other alternatives, that's really risky with the club in the situation that it's currently in. We can't afford to plan around Eriksen only for him to be forced to retire halfway through next season, leaving us with a void in the squad. Imagine if that happens at the most important moment of the season.

If I felt confident that our other signings don't depend at all on whether or not we get Eriksen, I'd be fine with it. I'm just not convinced that that's the case. I strongly suspect that the club is after Eriksen precisely so that we don't have to spend money on somebody else, and that's worrying. He's not an added bonus on top, he's a transfer target. If we get Eriksen, it means the club won't sign somebody else in his stead, I'm quite certain of that, and that's too big a risk.

Players who have had a heart attack (and he didn't merely suffer a heart attack, he literally died from one and was revived) very rarely go on to play for years afterwards. He has done very well so far since it happened, but there's a very real chance that his doctors will one day tell him that he has to quit immediately. Even if he's a free transfer, that kind of instability is not what the club needs right now. The next couple of seasons may be the most important in this club's history.
It wasn't a heart attack, it was a cardiac arrest. This mistake makes the entirety of what you're saying complete tosh. Although to be fair it was complete tosh anyway without having further insight into his medical history, causes, diagnosis etc.

Sorry, this is a real pet peeve of mine as someone who is very familiar with cardiac arrests and peoples unfair prejudices after them.

goalscholes

I imagine we've offered him the most money. I imagine we are the best team that has made an offer. I imagine our team has offered him a 1+1 as we want to move away from being stuck with 30+ year old players on high wages denying younger players game time. I think he'll take our offer, knowing that if he plays well, he'll get two years with double the salary, then can move to Brentford etc. then.

MiracleInMadrid

Given he is without a contract as of now, wouldn’t he push for a relatively quickly move?

If I were him, I would think of it as to big of a risk to drag this until August, as preseason would be missed. It would be a setback in terms of fitness, sharpness and understanding of ETH’s tactical plan.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don’t quite get it but do you get a kick out of it when you post any negative tweets you can find onto the Caf? I’ve also read you were the biggest transfer muppet around so something must have broke you back then :lol:
Maybe Vidal

Status
Not open for further replies.