Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Ronaldo would score twice as many with him in midfield instead of mct.

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't think we'll go for him but he's done very well at Brentford. If he leaves they are going to be in trouble next season, he just brings that class they were missing.

Jev

He’d go to Brentford but not United!?
He prefers to stay in London with his family, he has a great relationship with the coach and several countrymen in the team, he knows he'll play every game which will be a priority for him in a World Cup year, and we don't have CL to tempt him with. I could see why he might choose to stay if given the choice.

Would gladly have him here. I've always thought he'd be a deep-lying playmaker in his twilight years. Has a great engine and runs a lot.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He prefers to stay in London with his family, he has a great relationship with the coach and several countrymen in the team, he knows he'll play every game which will be a priority for him in a World Cup year, and we don't have CL to tempt him with. I could see why he might choose to stay if given the choice.

Would gladly have him here. I've always thought he'd be a deep-lying playmaker in his twilight years. Has a great engine and runs a lot.
You're genuinely deluded if you think he'd turn down the chance to play for Manchester United, for Brentford. Like, I understand this season has been god awful, but the name still has a lot of attraction. Especially compared to mighty Brentford.

If we put in a contract offer on the table, he'd sign.

Matriac

He’d go to Brentford but not United!?
He went to Brentford mid-season on a 6month contract (how often does that happen?) just to prove he still has it.

I wouldn't mind him here as a squad-player playing 2/3rds of matches. Question is what he wants and if we can fit that role into our budget this summer.

He'll have plenty offers this summer, maybe back to Spurs is what he wants. Depends who is their manager next season.

Cabin Clown

He'd solve one of our problems where we can't connect the dots in midfield. Costs nothing. No brainer.

GBBQ

With all the midfielders we’re about to lose I definitely wouldn’t be against bringing him in. Bags of that football intelligence that we seem to lack

dan1509

Never been a fan. Too lightweight for me.
This is precisely our problem. Our coaches (it started with Mourinho) obsession with big strong players. Most of the top midfielders in the world are lightweight (Bernardo, Thiago, Modric etc)

Yeah players like him and Thiago can’t hack it huh. We need more hard men.
Precisely what I was getting at.... ^. The likes of Mctominay, Matic, Pogba have done us so well!

Reactions: Sultan

Zoo

On a free as the second midfielder is a no-brainer. Only De Bruyne is superior to him at creating from deep with long passes.

buckooo1978

Im sold on him.

Would bring so much intelligent passing, free kicks, balls into the box, has played in the Ajax tradition which might aid understanding of what ETH wants and is free

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We do need some older heads in the squad, we can't just buy a load of 22-24 year olds. I think we'll likely be in for him.

Thiagoal

It’s a funny one! Before he had his horrific heart incident he did appear to be on the wane and was struggling to make any meaningful impact at Spurs and then Inter.

Since, he literally seems to have had a new lease of life and is looking like prime Eriksen! My concern would be if his form dropped off again like it did for his last season at Spurs and we’d be left with someone on large wages that isn’t good enough!

GreatDane

You're genuinely deluded if you think he'd turn down the chance to play for Manchester United, for Brentford. Like, I understand this season has been god awful, but the name still has a lot of attraction. Especially compared to mighty Brentford.

If he were to turn down United for Brentford it would be because of the location.
After all they've been through I'm fairly certain that his priority is his family and they know London and feel at home there.

Jev

I think it's a very narrow view. The man died a year ago. Priorities change. He has played for top clubs before and competed for major trophies. It's quite plausible that his main priorities now are to enjoy himself on the pitch and having a good balance between his football ambitions and his family's interests, while playing enough to be in the best possible shape for the World Cup. At this time, there's an argument to be made that Brentford fits the bill better than us.

I'd say it's more deluded to think the Manchester United brand would automatically trump all other priorities of a man who was dead recently.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I imagine at Eriksens stage of his Career he's going to want regular first team football. He's far too good to be an understudy for Bruno.

Don't see him coming here. We need a world class DM anyway. I'd like to see Donny and Garner given a chance in the more attacking midfield roles before signing Eriksen.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We could do much worse than buy him - and have done repeatedly recently. And for those who worry about splashing the cash, he's a free agent in the summer, isn't he?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
They showed a pretty cool set of stats yesterday of Eriksen being 1st in a number of stats for Brentford this season. Stuff like chances created and such.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Would/could work well as an 8, in a 3 man midfield, especially if ETH is able to play a 6 and 2 8's (similar to Bernardo/KdB at City). Quality on the ball, which is something we sorely lack in the middle of the park and he'll be free - can even cover as a "10" for Bruno.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Eriksen is currently playing in a three man midfield set up that compensates for his weaknesses and accentuates his strengths. Much like Pogba before we bought him.

Man Utd need to think about the players we are bringing in. How does Ten Hag want to play. Can, for example, Eriksen do the things Gravenberch does for Ten Hag? Is he the same profile or type of player? If the answer is 'no' then, as good as Eriksen is, we should not be seriously entertaining signing him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah players like him and Thiago can’t hack it huh. We need more hard men.
What has Thiago got to do with this?
This is precisely our problem. Our coaches (it started with Mourinho) obsession with big strong players. Most of the top midfielders in the world are lightweight (Bernardo, Thiago, Modric etc)
It's not about size. It's about having the strength to hold off pressing opposition and agility to turn away from pressure. Neither of those things Eriksen has ever had. Small players like Cazorla, David Pizarro, Verratti, Foden are examples of size meaning diddly-squat.
Maybe you should try the other way :D
:keano:

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Might sound weird, but I’m always worried about his health now! Hope he’s fit and well enough to play, because he’s a lovely bloke.

On a footballing level? Would have him in a heartbeat.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
With the likes of Lingard and Mata moving on this summer, he'd certainly cover a few gaps in the squad. Would be an excellent example on the training pitch, would thrive in the Europa, and would allow us to experiment with Bruno in the false 9 if and when needed.

MUFC OK

I'd certainly take him as a Mata replacement, we need that tidiness on the ball - also a genuine option to start when Bruno is off the boil.

Wallez

I am pretty sure that Ten Hag will use Bruno as a winger, as his abilities are not suited to hold on to the ball and recycle possesion. Eriksen would fit perfectly as a nr. 10, or as the most attacking nr. 8 if you want to call it a 433. A setup with the following attack in front of a new midfield duo that is confortable on the ball would be perfect:

Bruno - Eriksen - Sancho
Ronaldo

OverratedOpinion

Wherever he ends up he was very smart to put himself in the shop window for 6 months at Brentford.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don't think he's a starter at an elite club, but the exact type of talent that should be in rotation as a complementary squaddie.

Lyng

Eriksen is currently playing in a three man midfield set up that compensates for his weaknesses and accentuates his strengths. Much like Pogba before we bought him.

Man Utd need to think about the players we are bringing in. How does Ten Hag want to play. Can, for example, Eriksen do the things Gravenberch does for Ten Hag? Is he the same profile or type of player? If the answer is 'no' then, as good as Eriksen is, we should not be seriously entertaining signing him.
Given that Eriksen was schooled in the dutch way of playing Id argue there is a bigger question whether Bruno can play in a Ten Hag system than Eriksen.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Given that Eriksen was schooled in the dutch way of playing Id argue there is a bigger question whether Bruno can play in a Ten Hag system than Eriksen.
Its a question of roles. Can Eriksen play as #10 in the Ajax system? Of course he can. Is there a vacancy there with Bruno and Van De Beek, another Ajax product, in the squad? No.

The vacancies in our midfield are at #6 and #8. If we sign Eriksen it will be the Pogba situation all over again, of having too many attack minded midfielders and not enough quality/depth at #8 and #6.

As a club we need to stop just going after big players because they are available and start building a squad to suit some kind of plan. I think Eriksen is a great player but we need to stop stockpiling attacking midfielders.

RatPack

Its a question of roles. Can Eriksen play as #10 in the Ajax system? Of course he can. Is there a vacancy there with Bruno and Van De Beek, another Ajax product, in the squad? No.

The vacancies in our midfield are at #6 and #8. If we sign Eriksen it will be the Pogba situation all over again, of having too many attack minded midfielders and not enough quality/depth at #8 and #6.

As a club we need to stop just going after big players because they are available and start building a squad to suit some kind of plan. I think Eriksen is a great player but we need to stop stockpiling attacking midfielders.
Would be an upgrade to VDB. And we could benefit from his free kicks and corners to score a lot more.
And from yesterdays match with Mata and Bruno on the pitch together I could see them work great together.
But I do not think he will leave London.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Eriksen literally just played as a RCM in a 3 man midfield against us. I think it's fair to say he's still got plenty to offer.

Put him in midfield with Fred and tchouameni, play Bruno off the wing. Sorted.

Lyng

I am not sure VDB would play as a 10 under Ten hag. He played both as attacking midfielder and in a deeper midfield role in equal measures pretty much, during his time under Ten Hag in Ajax.
We definately need a CDM more than another attacking midfielder, but Eriksen might still be a good value for us.
It would give us the option of more rotation and would be a very different option to a Bruno, who I still worry will struggle under Ten Hag.
Eriksens passing ability and calm composure on the ball is something we desperately lack.
Pogba and Eriksen are very different types of players I would argue.

I wouldnt get Eriksen as a sole option but as a part of a rotating group of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.