Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
well it's between us and Brentford is it not?
More of a reflection on us than Brentford. We've been a mess for years. Who could blame him for wanting to see which direction the club is going? Signing players like De JOng would be a good indication that it's the right direction.

Cypriot

well it's between us and Brentford is it not?
A possible train of thought could be that moving to this extremely high pressured environment will only be worth it if he believes the team can challenge for trophies this season. Which would be fair because I’m sure he’ll enjoy his football at either club but if one can offer him possible silverware, it could convince him to move.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
@Berbaclass @charlenefan I'm guessing Eriksen's also not up for competing against a lot of people for playing time, so he's waiting to see how much competition he will have for a place in the team before deciding.

I could understand it if that's the case. He spent a lot of time at Inter on the bench, almost lost his career and has just got back playing. I doubt he wants to be the next Donny Van de Beek. At Brentford he was allowed to be the most forward thinking of a midfield three. If he still wants that role he's gotta think about Bruno, whether Donny gets reintegrated etc. If he's going to be playing as a box-to-box player then I guess he'll want to understand if he's going to be playing with De Jong or as his understudy.

Honestly, I don't really understand the logic of us going for Eriksen if we have any intent of using Bruno and Van de Beek a lot this season.

Trex

Nations League players have another week or two off I believe.
I believe Simon stones mentioned the rest of our squad would be back on the 4th that's a week from now, so he'll need to make up his mind within the week if he wants to have a full preseason.

Berbaclass

I believe Simon stones mentioned the rest of our squad would be back on the 4th that's a week from now, so he'll need to make up his mind within the week if he wants to have a full preseason.
That would be the same for wherever he goes though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
To be honest I have no idea how good 2022 version of Eriksen is but this focus on passers in midfield is what I've thought we've lacked for ages. It's why Matic every 7th game looks like the messiah to us.

To be honest I have no idea how good 2022 version of Eriksen is but this focus on passers in midfield is what I've thought we've lacked for ages. It's why Matic every 7th game looks like the messiah to us.
I definitely think we should buy more passers. However, I think we should be buying passers who excel in a midfield two. Eriksen hasn't ever really been that. If he comes in, I definitely hope he can be. However, I'd like us to go for someone more like a Carrick or Xabi Alonso type. Someone who can screen defence but also progress the ball.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I definitely think we should buy more passers. However, I think we should be buying passers who excel in a midfield two. Eriksen hasn't ever really been that. If he comes in, I definitely hope he can be. However, I'd like us to go for someone more like a Carrick or Xabi Alonso type. Someone who can screen defence but also progress the ball.
We shouldn't restrict ourselves to a midfield two. There's no need to. And FJD will be the player you mention. At the end of the day not many teams have a passer in a midfield two in this day and age (igorning back 5s) so you have to tweak your style a bit. We lack numbers in midfield and he's someone who will add passing quality in spades. Even if he ends up a squad he'll make a fine one.

Subject to being physically up for it of course.

I Am Zlatan

How many world-class players do we have :houllier:
Not many, but we still have
Ronaldo (one of the best of all time), and players like Sancho, Bruno, Rashford (if he can regain some form and confidence), de gea, and Varane. We also have one of the better coaches in football, also we offer Europa (I know it’s not that big of a deal but still better than no European football).

Who does Brentford have (with all respect to Brentford), and what do they exactly offer more than us? Also we’re getting him at the end of his career not in his prime..

Hughes35

If we actually want him, I think we will get him.

Seems to be us or Brentford so I just can't see him staying there unless we don't want him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
@Berbaclass @charlenefan I'm guessing Eriksen's also not up for competing against a lot of people for playing time, so he's waiting to see how much competition he will have for a place in the team before deciding.

I could understand it if that's the case. He spent a lot of time at Inter on the bench, almost lost his career and has just got back playing. I doubt he wants to be the next Donny Van de Beek. At Brentford he was allowed to be the most forward thinking of a midfield three. If he still wants that role he's gotta think about Bruno, whether Donny gets reintegrated etc. If he's going to be playing as a box-to-box player then I guess he'll want to understand if he's going to be playing with De Jong or as his understudy.

Honestly, I don't really understand the logic of us going for Eriksen if we have any intent of using Bruno and Van de Beek a lot this season.
fair point didn't think about it that way

Berbaclass

Not many, but we still have
Ronaldo (one of the best of all time), and players like Sancho, Bruno, Rashford (if he can regain some form and confidence), de gea, and Varane. We also have one of the better coaches in football, also we offer Europa (I know it’s not that big of a deal but still better than no European football).

Who does Brentford have (with all respect to Brentford), and what do they exactly offer more than us? Also we’re getting him at the end of his career not in his prime..
We have gone backwards for a decade mate. I have absolutely no issue with a player wanting that to change before committing to signing for us. Say what you like about Brentford, they're a good club making good progress. He's already played there and clearly enjoyed his time there.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics

Maybe we're reading it wrong and it's because he doesn't to be a squad player/the next Mata.

We shouldn't restrict ourselves to a midfield two. There's no need to. And FJD will be the player you mention. At the end of the day not many teams have a passer in a midfield two in this day and age (igorning back 5s) so you have to tweak your style a bit. We lack numbers in midfield and he's someone who will add passing quality in spades. Even if he ends up a squad he'll make a fine one.

Subject to being physically up for it of course.
I dunno, we heard similar arguments made for Pogba and Mata and they just unbalanced the squad. Our side is overloaded with 10s and 8s, without anything like the depth of deep lying midfielders that we should have. Liverpool and City have the types of players we lack in abundance. I think Fernandinho would still walk into our starting 11 and he's just been replaced by Philips, who's effectively Rodri's backup.

De Jong is great in a double pivot and he's brilliant at advancing the ball. However, he is not a screening player. He had Schone do that for him at Ajax. He has Koopmeiners do that for him in the national team. Are we really expecting McTominay or Fred to do that role? I'm not convinced. I'd take De Jong as the starter with Garner as the understudy/rotation player if he needs a rest. However, what about the guy next to him? I don't understand why the club tolerates the Carrick shaped hole in our squad.

Redderp

Why do people believe everything they read on twitter? All those “player thinks” tweets are so obviously fake. They have no idea what the player is thinking… it’s so obvious bs…

I Am Zlatan

We have gone backwards for a decade mate. I have absolutely no issue with a player wanting that to change before committing to signing for us. Say what you like about Brentford, they're a good club making good progress. He's already played there and clearly enjoyed his time there.
You’re right unfortunately, and I agree that we have gone backwards, but we still offer a lot more than Brentford. I can understand if it was let’s say Kante, making a decision to leave Chelsea for us, but I think we offer a lot more than Brentford, short term and hopefully long term. I understand he enjoyed his time there, and if he was deciding between staying there because he liked it there or come to us, but not waiting to see who we sign first.. I mean he would be one of the players to help, with all that being said, I don’t know how accurate that tweet anyways.

croadyman

More of a reflection on us than Brentford. We've been a mess for years. Who could blame him for wanting to see which direction the club is going? Signing players like De JOng would be a good indication that it's the right direction.
Yeah got no issue with that whatsoever

Gazza

Last season Brentford were a feel-good success story, we were an absolute garbage fire, so can't blame him for taking his time to see what we do to correct that

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Absolutely no chance we are/were paying him anywhere near £100k, you have to remember money wasn't a deciding factor on his return and pretty sure it won't be this time either.
His wages at Inter was around 225k-250k p/w. 100k p/w is more than double paycut to call it money is not the factor.

£100k in 4 months is only £2m max, no more than that or even less than 2m. That’s an affordable cash for Brentford to avoid relegation, given how much PL clubs would get in return if they stay up.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
As if the caliber of players in Brentford is of Real Madrid level. What a stupid journalism.
Brentford is an entirely different proposition.

Lower expectations (survival), nice environment, loved by all, no Europe travel, good World Cup prep and altogether a family-friendly winding down of your career.

Or you can walk straight into a directionless click-bait furnace. We are a shower of shite and he is essentially thinking he alone wouldn't significantly change that. What's not true about that?

Loads of "regular people" have made fundamental changes to how they live their lives post-Covid. Priorities have changed. Compasses point elsewhere when looking for value and self-realisation. Why would a football player be any different? Let alone one with coronary issues and a near death experience to boot...

edcunited1878

There's plenty of match time for a player like Eriksen's caliber at United, especially leading up to the World Cup. He doesn't need to start every match, but has to be available to play every match with 5 subs for all domestic and European competitions. Plus, nobody knows how EtH is going to set the team up and who could be playing a different role. Does EtH and coaches put Bruno on the right, with Sancho playing more centrally behind a center forward, or deploy a more fluid front line?

EtH and staff will devise of a plan that leverages the strengths of the players and by all accounts, EtH and staff think Eriksen can play a role within the team they are trying to develop. So be it. But there will be other players to step in, if Eriksen doesn't choose United.

WPMUFC

New management, toxic squad, no idea whom else might be coming in. Brentford give him a life line, settled in London. Its not so clear cut, but I think we have a good shot.

Noc-Z

ffs

Can see ten Hag quickly falling out with Bruno if he doesn't sort himself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.