Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneMC16

Good player, but not what we need. He's also too old. We should be looking for younger and quicker players that are capable of getting about the pitch. This would be a typical United signing. I guess he would be an okay squad player, but we have other pressing needs.

flappyjay

Yup and I don't believe he really impressed at Inter too.

He's got an immense engine though - and might actually be better off playing CM at this stage of his career.
Whoscored has him playing a mojority of his games for Brentford as a cm.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Comes here to replace Mata's minutes.

So, we should witness Eriksen's debut in the penultimate game of the season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't particularly get it. As far as I'm aware Eriksen's best position is still as an AM and we currently have Bruno and VDB for that position. Now while we may have criticism for both those players as options in that role, adding another for that same position doesn't help balance the composition of the squad.

If Eriksen was replacing VDB or something then fine, sell VDB and use the funds to strengthen a position where we currently have less depth. Or if the plan is to play one of the three nearly always in a different position then that's also fine. But if we go into the season with two of those three on the bench while other positions have far less depth then it hasn't been an efficient purchase.

Particularly in a context where we will inevitably be pointing to other positions that weren't addressed and saying "well we had other priorities".

Also important to remember that although it's a free transfer, the player isn't free. The bulk of a transfer's cost is in wages and we still have to pay that, with players on a free typically negotiating for higher wages than they would as part of a regular transfer. In real terms you're getting the player at reduced total cost but it still eats into what you can do elsewhere.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Good player, but not what we need. He's also too old. We should be looking for younger and quicker players that are capable of getting about the pitch. This would be a typical United signing. I guess he would be an okay squad player, but we have other pressing needs.
Hes 30... we have the likes of Hannibal and Garner who are likely to see more game time this season with more the season after

So a 3 year deal (2+1 even) wouldn't seem a bad idea considering there is no transfer fee and he is PL proven

Bruno, VDB, Eriksen, Hannibal, Mctominay, Fred, Garner + potentially De Jong or similar would seem a pretty decent starting point for our midfield

My gut feel is Eriksen wont come to us but certainly wouldn't expect his age to be an issue at 30

CloneMC16

Hes 30... we have the likes of Hannibal and Garner who are likely to see more game time this season with more the season after

So a 3 year deal (2+1 even) wouldn't seem a bad idea considering there is no transfer fee and he is PL proven

Bruno, VDB, Eriksen, Hannibal, Mctominay, Fred, Garner + potentially De Jong or similar would seem a pretty decent starting point for our midfield

My gut feel is Eriksen wont come to us but certainly wouldn't expect his age to be an issue at 30
I consider 30 to basically be the start of being old in football terms. My problem with this is that he's a pretty similar profile to Bruno. Playing him deeper in the midfield is not going to work with the players that we have. I can see it as a squad option, but we have other areas to deal with. We desperately need players for our double pivot and other forward options.

If we're seriously interested, I don't see why he wouldn't come. Spurs may have finished above us, but they don't have more pull than us. Unless he really wants a return to them.

Teja

This is just such a no-brainer if we can get him. We have the EL, inevitable world cup related fixture congestion and two domestic cups.

We don't have that much depth in attacking positions. I also think VdB is pretty shit and Eriksen is miles above him.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I consider 30 to basically be the start of being old in football terms. My problem with this is that he's a pretty similar profile to Bruno. Playing him deeper in the midfield is not going to work with the players that we have. I can see it as a squad option, but we have other areas to deal with. We desperately need players for our double pivot and other forward options.

If we're seriously interested, I don't see why he wouldn't come. Spurs may have finished above us, but they don't have more pull than us. Unless he really wants a return to them.
Or if he wants to play CL?
Or if he wants to carry on living in London?
Or if he wants to link up with Conte again?
Or if he feels he owes Brentford for taking a chance on him?
Or if he wants to have assurances about game time?

tidraKS

It's totally what I predicted. All of the people were shouting Sign Eriksen, until the first article that we've offered him a deal comes up, and now everyone is against it :lol: The sort of negativity around here.

He'd come as a replacement for Mata. He's quite two footed, is quicker, more agile, has better shots, crosses than Mata and is a humble and hardworking guy. So he's an upgrade. I don't think he would be a starter for us, but a very good squad option. If he's over his heart issues, I'd be really happy to have him around.

Amsterdam90s

Supports
Ajax
I think Eriksen will be a great signing since he knows the system Ajax/ Ten Hag plays and is versatile in it. If you get Frenky and Eriksen you create so much football. Add a dm that works hard and can pass and you have so many options. Also Frenky is a much better dm than most of you think. Barcelona just bought him while they still had busquets and played Frenky in another position. Frenky can even play as CD in a 5 4 1 or 5 3 2 when defending while creating an extra midfielder when switching to attacking.

CloneMC16

Or if he wants to play CL?
Or if he wants to carry on living in London?
Or if he wants to link up with Conte again?
Or if he feels he owes Brentford for taking a chance on him?
Or if he wants to have assurances about game time?
Can't argue with any of those. I still think he would come here off of our name alone. We may have been a banter club over the last 10 years, but the club still has some pull. We'll be the biggest club he's going to get a shot at playing for and his salary will be better here.

I'm not fussed if he comes, either way.

flappyjay

I wonder if Ten Hag could have Eriksen with Bruno plus a more defensive/holding mid in a 3 man. For Sporting Bruno did a lot of work in midfield and had more long range efforts, he can play a deeper more pressing role.
Bruno can't be trusted in midfield

flappyjay

Good addition to the squad and a like for like replacement for Bruno which VDB wasn't. Also very versatile and a great set piece taker. People seem to forget we need a good squad to compete not just a first 11.
How this place is in arms you would think we spent a chunk of our summer budget on him. At most we are probably giving him matics wages or mata's.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
What a useless article. Honestly, The Athletic put out so much shite it's unreal.

There could be a case for this if Eriksen proves to be our main midfield signing, but there is zero indication that this is the case. He's not even agreed to come here!

Hawks2008

Manchester United try not to sign player well past their peak challenge (impossible)

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Apparently we've only offered him a 1 year deal with the option of another. It shouldn't be surprising if he tells us to feck off tbh.

He's 30 and shown that he's fit, healthy and still a very good player. This is probably his last opportunity to get a multi year deal.

Zoo

What a useless article. Honestly, The Athletic put out so much shite it's unreal.

There could be a case for this if Eriksen proves to be our main midfield signing, but there is zero indication that this is the case. He's not even agreed to come here!
No surprise it’s from Carl Anka. It’s a mystery how he landed this role covering United for The Athletic.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Apparently we've only offered him a 1 year deal with the option of another. It shouldn't be surprising if he tells us to feck off tbh.

He's 30 and shown that he's fit, healthy and still a very good player. This is probably his last opportunity to get a multi year deal.
With our history, I see nothing wrong with that offer.

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs have been working on Eriksen deal quietly - At least as per Spurs forums, Levy is leading the negotiations.
Eriksen has residence in London. There is CL with Spurs this season.

In all likelihood, he will return to Spurs and also seems Conte wants him.
We should hear his decision by end of this week...

I would be shocked if he chooses United.

El Jefe

Isn't this the type of signing most on here complained about us making in the past. Ithe same people excited about this probably wouldn't want us to sign Isco, Coutinho or Dybala but because Eriksen is rightfully a football darling now, people are being hypocrites.

I'm seeing loads of posters trying to shoehorn Eriksen in midfield or either him or Bruno out wide. This makes no sense to me a forward line of Sancho, Bruno and Eriksen doesn't even look good on paper. Where is the pace or the goals outside of Ronaldo?

All the threads are filled with us saying we need a CM or two, RW, RB, CB and maybe even a striker. All of these are priority positions so what's the sense in signing an attacking midfielder.

mctrials23

I would take him if we don't get De Jong. No they aren't the same sort of player but unless we are planning to leave Bruno out of the side then I don't think he will get that much game time. We need a DM and a CM for the middle of the park so De Jong and someone else hopefully. Eriksen is a cracking player but I feel he would end up just sitting on the bench for years getting paid far too much, just like Mata has.

mctrials23

McT couldn't get near him. Was such a good performance. Played passes our midfielders can only dream of.
Played one touch passes a lot because he has good spacial awareness and team mates willing to move for him. This has been Uniteds biggest issue IMO over the past few years. Almost all our players need to take a few touches to figure out where everyone is and who they can pass to, by which time they are under pressure or being tackled. Thats a coaching issue though.

Godfather

I would take him if we don't get De Jong. No they aren't the same sort of player but unless we are planning to leave Bruno out of the side then I don't think he will get that much game time. We need a DM and a CM for the middle of the park so De Jong and someone else hopefully. Eriksen is a cracking player but I feel he would end up just sitting on the bench for years getting paid far too much, just like Mata has.
In the form Bruno was in last year he'd take his place very soon.

Marcelinho87

Isn't this the type of signing most on here complained about us making in the past. Ithe same people excited about this probably wouldn't want us to sign Isco, Coutinho or Dybala but because Eriksen is rightfully a football darling now, people are being hypocrites.

I'm seeing loads of posters trying to shoehorn Eriksen in midfield or either him or Bruno out wide. This makes no sense to me a forward line of Sancho, Bruno and Eriksen doesn't even look good on paper. Where is the pace or the goals outside of Ronaldo?

All the threads are filled with us saying we need a CM or two, RW, RB, CB and maybe even a striker. All of these are priority positions so what's the sense in signing an attacking midfielder.
He's free, wouldn't take any time to negotiate apart from with himself.

Outside of Bruno, who do we have? We have lost Mata and Lingard who were backup for that attacking mid role.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
In the form Bruno was in last year he'd take his place very soon.
Definitely. Also Eriksen's lowest level is miles over Bruno's.
You know what you'll get from him, while Bruno can be invisible in 3 matches and godlike in 17 minutes of the next one.

30 is old:lol::lol::lol:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Would be a good addition to the side. All I can say is if we plan to use him as rotation with Bruno then it would be stupid not to sell VdB and use that money for another position

Oldyella

It's totally what I predicted. All of the people were shouting Sign Eriksen, until the first article that we've offered him a deal comes up, and now everyone is against it :lol: The sort of negativity around here.

He'd come as a replacement for Mata. He's quite two footed, is quicker, more agile, has better shots, crosses than Mata and is a humble and hardworking guy. So he's an upgrade. I don't think he would be a starter for us, but a very good squad option. If he's over his heart issues, I'd be really happy to have him around.
We shouldn't be looking to replace Mata though. He's barely played for us. Our squad has been too bloated and we need to cut numbers if anything.

As for this signing, I think if he came he would surprise a lot of people, could see him outshining Mct in midfield or Bruno/VDB further forward. Ship some of them out and make space for him.

Jev

I think it's a bit too narrow to only look at how well-stocked we are in a particular position. You also need to look at what kind of qualities we lack in the squad.

When I see United play, I see a team full of players who try to force the issue, try to make the difference themselves and too often picks the hard option over the right one, and who struggle to dictate play and manage the tempo of the game.

Eriksen excels at all of that and could bring something entirely different, and much needed, to our game whenever he was on the pitch.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

There are 2 ways to look at this, one is how you described, why to sign him when he is 30, doesn't have pace to play wide and doesn't have great performance as CM.

Second one is, we have Sancho, Ronaldo, Rashford as our senior attackers, Bruno, McT, Fred as midfielders if we consider Bruno as part of midfield 3. Deals like Eriksen will be important where we need to add good players but doesn't eat the transfer budget as we have lot of positions to upgrade. For this reason alone I wanted us to sign Kamara.

Eriksen played as playmaker from wing position under Poch, he is versatile to play couple of positions2. Also we can't rely on Bruno all season, we need player who has ability to bench Bruno.

Blzbud

I’m with God on this one, I’d take him in a heartbeat.

He improves us significantly if we’re looking to keep control of the ball more and would up our set-piece game too. Two years with an option for a third and we might even get something close to peak Eriksen. 30 is not old for the type of player he is and his brush with death seems to have given him a focus that he possibly lacked a bit before. He always came across as quite a laconic type and while he’s never going to be Roy Keane, my impression of him now is that his passion and ambition regarding football has intensified a little bit.

El Jefe

There are 2 ways to look at this, one is how you described, why to sign him when he is 30, doesn't have pace to play wide and doesn't have great performance as CM.

Second one is, we have Sancho, Ronaldo, Rashford as our senior attackers, Bruno, McT, Fred as midfielders if we consider Bruno as part of midfield 3. Deals like Eriksen will be important where we need to add good players but doesn't eat the transfer budget as we have lot of positions to upgrade. For this reason alone I wanted us to sign Kamara.

Eriksen played as playmaker from wing position under Poch, he is versatile to play couple of positions2. Also we can't rely on Bruno all season, we need player who has ability to bench Bruno.
I suppose I don't mind him as a squad option, my main issue is shoehorning him into a first 11 role, I just don't think that fits. Sure he's a versatile player and if you can have him on a free its not a bad thing but then we should look to sell VDB to raise funds for other positions.

We also have a physically weak team that has alsready shown weaknesses in pressing. Eriksen wouldn't really help in this respect.

goalscholes

With 5 subs, we need better strength in depth. Even if we get FDJ, we can't expect him to play/ stay fit for 50 odd matches, nor would we need to play a purely defensive midfielder next to FDJ. We're one injury away from a McFred midfield again, trying to play Ten Hag's system, which feels suicidal.

It also helps us in our negotiations with Barca for FDJ, so could actually save us money.

Absolute no brainer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I suppose I don't mind him as a squad option, my main issue is shoehorning him into a first 11 role, I just don't think that fits. Sure he's a versatile player and if you can have him on a free its not a bad thing but then we should look to sell VDB to raise funds for other positions.

We also have a physically weak team that has alsready shown weaknesses in pressing. Eriksen wouldn't really help in this respect.
I don't know how his work rate is now, it used to be good under Poch.

Yeah, I don't think he will be a regular starter but he is good enough to push for starting position. We are short on both quality and quantity, we need to address both.

Status
Not open for further replies.