Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

choccy77

All jokes aside, this would be a lovely signing to have to add some depth to the squad.

That is we are able to competently sign any other players :lol:

Josh 76

All jokes aside, this would be a lovely signing to have to add some depth to the squad.

That is we are able to competently sign any other players :lol:
What’s the use building a nice conservatory, when the house is falling apart !

goalscholes

It's a matter of when, not if.

Although when depends on if, so I guess it's a matter of both. If first.

Noc-Z

ffs
We do need depth and experience, so I like this signing. Also, I'm not a Bruno fan - he's wasteful, undisciplined and a moaner. So I'd be happy with Eriksen playing most games as CAM.

goalscholes

How are we gonna play both Bruno, Eriksen and De Jong in one team? We don't even have a DMC!
Either we play a diamond and play all three, or we play Eriksen roughly every third game to give Bruno/ De Jong competition and keep them fresh. Injuries will also happen throughout the season, plus we're in the EL, so they'd all get a lot of playing time.

Dominos

How are we gonna play both Bruno, Eriksen and De Jong in one team? We don't even have a DMC!
That's not really the issue. Eriksen is most likely competition/rotation option for Bruno's position.

The issue is where is that meant to leave VDB? It seems incredibly unlikely we'll be able to give all 3 of VDB Bruno and Eriksen satisfactory game time. Unless we start to shoehorn players into unnatural positions (wide, false 9) because we've stockpiled too many players that play in the same position through lack of foresight.

StonedhamsterZA

Not sure what everyone is arguing about in this thread.

We’ve spent so many years being shite that people have forgotten what a top quality squad should look like. We need competition for places for every position. Sure Bruno has been a productive player, but he’s had bouts of really bad form and some very bad games. It was painful to watch that we couldn’t take him off because we had only Mata on the bench who could maybe play a 10. Or Lingard who was so shite there was no point.

Eriksen is a class player and makes a lot of sense on a free. Great for squad rotation. Might even get the nod ahead of Bruno in a lot of games if ETH is looking to play more possession based football. Nobody should take their starting position for granted.

We continuously whine when we look at City’s squad and the quality in depth they have. Well let the new manager get on with his job.

Having one of Eriksen or Bruno starting on the bench (if we can’t accomodate them both in the lineup) is so much more comforting than having Lingard / Mata.
Completely agree.

ROFLUTION

Either we play a diamond and play all three, or we play Eriksen roughly every third game to give Bruno/ De Jong competition and keep them fresh. Injuries will also happen throughout the season, plus we're in the EL, so they'd all get a lot of playing time.
how does that diamond work out? Ronaldo on top and Frenkie at the bottom? Maguire would absolutely implode without cover.

People think Eriksen will join us as rotation - I dont think he will. He would want to play as much as possible up til the World Cup in November I think.

on top of these, McFred will probably not be sold neither as there will be few suitors. (Need to keep up with homegrown ratio too)

Dominos

Not sure what everyone is arguing about in this thread.

We’ve spent so many years being shite that people have forgotten what a top quality squad should look like. We need competition for places for every position. Sure Bruno has been a productive player, but he’s had bouts of really bad form and some very bad games. It was painful to watch that we couldn’t take him off because we had only Mata on the bench who could maybe play a 10. Or Lingard who was so shite there was no point.

Eriksen is a class player and makes a lot of sense on a free. Great for squad rotation. Might even get the nod ahead of Bruno in a lot of games if ETH is looking to play more possession based football. Nobody should take their starting position for granted.

We continuously whine when we look at City’s squad and the quality in depth they have. Well let the new manager get on with his job.

Having one of Eriksen or Bruno starting on the bench (if we can’t accomodate them both in the lineup) is so much more comforting than having Lingard / Mata.
The issue is, we have 2 attacking midfielders in the squad already. Bruno and VDB. They may play the role differently but they essentially occupy the same position in the team and it's one of the reasons VDB hasn't got a look in since he arrived. So we're adding a 3rd player for the same position in the team.

You do not need more than 2 senior players per position. If you do, you end up in the situation we were in last year where players are sulking over lack of game time.

Now you may say VDB isn't good enough... well why the hell is he still here? What good is it doing us having him sat on the bench as 3rd choice for another season? It just seems like lack of foresight.

Our midfield needs are DM and deep lying playmaker. Eriksen doesn't fill either void.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Playing Eriksen into Schone‘s role probably
Would be such a change from the McFred combo having 2 ball players in there. But you do worry about who would win it.
Maybe we'd have so much ball we wouldn't need to, like with Carrick and Scholes?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not a chance that. Eriksen as the more advanced midfielder with De Jong being the deep playmaker makes sense. Bruno in that case is playing as a false 9 or more likely, out wide.
Is that how we call the bench these days?

GreatDane

Not a chance that. Eriksen as the more advanced midfielder with De Jong being the deep playmaker makes sense. Bruno in that case is playing as a false 9 or more likely, out wide.
Not saying that it's gonna happen, but Schöne used to be an advanced midfielder before Ten Hag partnered him with De Jong in the defensive midfield.
So you'll never know I guess.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Schone used to be advanced midfielder or winger. He wasn’t even a DM.

You would never know with ten Hag. The guy likes to give a new position and new role to his player in unexpected area.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Eriksen isn't benching Bruno mate. Not a prayer. If we get him it will be to provide cover for a few positions. Probably why it's taking so long as he knows he gets more guaranteed minutes at Brentford.

Chairman Steve

I’d be interested in seeing how FDJ and Eriksen centre midfield pairing work. Their anticipation, positioning and reading of the game in general would have to be a pretty high level to offset a midfield destroyer being in there, and some extra onus would be placed on the centre back pairing.

I guess it may be a bit like when we played Carrick and Scholes in midfield, but they had Ferdinand and Vidic behind them who are one of the Top 5 best centre back pairings of the 21st century.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Eriksen isn't benching Bruno mate. Not a prayer. If we get him it will be to provide cover for a few positions. Probably why it's taking so long as he knows he gets more guaranteed minutes at Brentford.
You say this with absolutely no idea what Ten Hag is thinking.

Maybe he's noticed Bruno gives so much ball away and contributes to us being wide open and even the crappest team leathering through our midfield?

He might want players who keep ball more in there, and put Bruno out wide.

Bearing in mind we're not exactly red hot out wide. Rashy in a mid career slump, Greenwood done, Sancho with a difficult first season.
Could easily be Bruno and Sancho out wide, with Eriksen, DJ and one other in the centre.

Though I'm not certain we'll get either, so don't like to mention players before we sign them!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Maybe he's noticed Bruno gives so much ball away and contributes to us being wide open and even the crappest team leathering through our midfield?

Bearing in mind we're not exactly red hot out wide. Rashy in a mid career slump, Greenwood done, Sancho with a difficult first season.
Could easily be Bruno and Sancho out wide, with Eriksen, DJ and one other in the centre.

Though I'm not certain we'll get either, so don't like to mention players before we sign them!
Bruno was given a brand new contract during our talks with Ten Hag. He's a very good player but sadly fans on here can only remember recent form. Form comes and goes.

Eriksen has never been as good as Bruno was for 18 months. Conte didn't even pick him in Italy very often.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bruno was given a brand new contract during our talks with Ten Hag. He's a very good player but sadly fans on here can only remember recent form. Form comes and goes.

Eriksen has never been as good as Bruno was for 18 months. Conte didn't even pick him in Italy very often.
I'm a bit nervous about his signing, as I never thought he was "that" good at Spurs.
But that's probably my own issue of preferring pacier players.

However, if a "proper" manager like Ten Hag wants him and we get him, I'm more than happy with his judgement.

jamesjimmybyrondean

A diamond maybe? We know Ronaldo told Rangnick he doesn't like playing as the lone striker so maybe we could go for a two striker system

Sancho Ronaldo
Bruno
Fred Eriksen
De Jong
Shaw CB Varane RB
DDG​

Sparky Rhiwabon

Bruno could also play false 9 - he almost plays there anyway, rather than as a traditional no.10

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A diamond maybe? We know Ronaldo told Rangnick he doesn't like playing as the lone striker so maybe we could go for a two striker system

Sancho Ronaldo
Bruno
Fred Eriksen
De Jong
Shaw CB Varane RB
DDG​
Is that true?
Yet we spent almost all of the 6months of Ralphy playing him solo!

Ole'sgunnarwin

Sancho Ronaldo
Bruno
Fred Eriksen
De Jong
Shaw CB Varane RB
DDG​
The thing is, I'm not picking on this specifically but there's no width here at all. And it's due to the quality of our full backs. If we had quality like City's, Liverpool's or City's this could work. But it's the reason why I think prioritising full-backs as much as any position is essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.