Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

city-puma

His contract runs out by the end of June, right? If so, isn’t it meaningful the announcement will be made after it?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
As much as I want him here, I don’t know what’s more surreal: us been totally unsure whether he’ll come or that he’d be a key signing if he did.

If someone told you that Manchester United would be in this predicament a few years back, you’d have thought them loopy.

With no disrespect intended at all, I wonder how long before we’re able to contend for elite talent per position again, or whether this is solely down to missing out on the CL.

RORY65

I don't really understand your question but players are able to sign a pre-contract with whoever they want since January 1st.
I think technically they can't with other Premier League sides until June but can with clubs in other countries from 1st January.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think technically they can't with other Premier League sides until June but can with clubs in other countries from 1st January.
Yeah, I forgot the first week of May notice. It's not from January first but 7 days after the first Saturday of May or after rejecting the notice from their club.

choccy77

Yes, English clubs can't sign anyone until 1st July, but they can announce deals have been agreed.

United always do things weird because of sponsorship deals usually, so often even announcing stuff earlier, seems to be a rare thing.

If Eriksen is signing for United, I would expect news next week, as I don't understand why it needs to drag on longer.

Also, if he was going to stay at Brentford why not say so now, as he is a Bees player already.

Pronewbie

Peep
As much as I want him here, I don’t know what’s more surreal: us been totally unsure whether he’ll come or that he’d be a key signing if he did.

If someone told you that Manchester United would be in this predicament a few years back, you’d have thought them loopy.

With no disrespect intended at all, I wonder how long before we’re able to contend for elite talent per position again, or whether this is solely down to missing out on the CL.
We were in for him 2.5 seasons ago before he spurned us for Inter and we went for Bruno instead. We haven't been able to contend for elite talent in a long while. I'd argue that even under Fergie we rarely could, either. But no, we haven't been to this low level. Bad dressing room, poor senior management, no CL and questionable future prospects certainly play their respective roles.

choccy77

@utdreport: Christian Eriksen is yet to be convinced that joining #mufc would be a better option for him than signing another contract with Brentford #mulive [@MullockSMirror]

Mwooyo

We were in for him 2.5 seasons ago before he spurned us for Inter and we went for Bruno instead. We haven't been able to contend for elite talent in a long while. I'd argue that even under Fergie we rarely could, either. But no, we haven't been to this low level. Bad dressing room, poor senior management, no CL and questionable future prospects certainly play their respective roles.

I agree...and we shouldn't have to contend for a single specific player. We take way too long to move on to other players. We should have a profile of a player we are considering and have 4 or 5 options in that profile. We should be moving on to other options really quickly rather than begging players like eriksen and de jong to join. Just go sign the next fdj. Liverpool literally do Bussiness like that.

cyberman

I can see him get down on us very quickly if he joined and he had to fight for a spot. Stay with Brentford and enjoy the rest of your career.
It’s like they say in mma, if the thought of basically retiring even enters your mind then you should really do it

Flexdegea

I can see him get down on us very quickly if he joined and he had to fight for a spot. Stay with Brentford and enjoy the rest of your career.
It’s like they say in mma, if the thought of basically retiring even enters your mind then you should really do it

Jesus I don't remember you being this depressing............maybe I'm mixing names up but you used to be positive around the Ole time,

cyberman

Jesus I don't remember you being this depressing............maybe I'm mixing names up but you used to be positive around the Ole time,
Na I’ve always been steadfast in transfers that involve players who reportedly don’t want to come here. This Eriksen situation isn’t like it’s Utd v Liverpool or anything, it seems to be Utd v a life choice which is fair enough.
It looks like we might get De Jong which will probably help us but I believe this club needs a season to regroup and prove ourselves again before we can sign the players that the status of our club expects. Im not expecting fireworks in the transfer window because of that so it’s damped my mood around transfers. Antony seems to want to come here, sign him and I’ll be happy. That’s the type of moves we need to be making and it’s the type I was expecting under Ten Hag

userman

Surely Eriksen is just a backup-option in case we don’t land De Jong?
If that pursuit is successful we have De Jong, Bruno, Fred, DvdB and McT (and perhaps also Garner) to compete and cover for 2 positions at AM/CM. He will be a 2/3 choice.
Why spend resources in recruiting basically a short term replacement for Mata when we need someone to strengthen our starting eleven/DM?

I have great respect for the guy, and I’m glad to see him back on the pitch, but I really hope we steer clear of this one. This signing has desperation written all over it.

buchansleftleg

By signing Eriksen are we trying to shame Rashford into running about more. He's already put in the shade by a 37 year old Ronaldo, so will another over 30 player with a heart condition show his lack of effort up even more?

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Brentford has never been good enough for the Europa league you know.
Yes of course the premier league is more important but do you know what matters in football winning.
Brentford are in the premier league just to survive, they're not genuinely contenders for any competition and that's the whole "sporting reason" point I mention.
For a player like Eriksen that's a very low bar, there's a reason Kalvin Phillips just signed for City even when he is unlikely to be first choice in his position he doesn't mind competing for his place because this is the nature of a "sportman" because they offer him an opportunity to challenge at the top end of the table, that's why I said staying at Brentford for a player of Eriksen quality under normal circumstances is "raising the white flag, being a big fish in a small pond" and I stand by this comment.
It’s a sad point of view imo but one you’re entirely entitled too obviously. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Dansk

I'll take him if he wants to come, but I'm completely unconcerned by this. I don't see him as a potential part of our future. In my mind, he would go on to belong in the same category as the likes of Zlatan and Ronaldo 2.0: perhaps useful for a season or two, but hardly someone we can expect to build around for the future.

And I say that as a Dane who loves him unconditionally, so there's no bias there. We are not in a position where we can allow ourselves to depend on potential transfers like this. If he decides to come, that's great, why not. I would have loved to have him four years ago. If he doesn't decide to come, hey, whatever. We should never rely on it.

Gurtej

If he comes and assuming no health concerns, he will be a great player to have for couple of years or so!!

I genuinely see nothing wrong with it!! He is free, a very good option to start or even bring on who is creative and good technically on the ball…. We have just lost so many midfielders and we were never going to replace them by buying others!!

A no brainer

Flexdegea

Na I’ve always been steadfast in transfers that involve players who reportedly don’t want to come here. This Eriksen situation isn’t like it’s Utd v Liverpool or anything, it seems to be Utd v a life choice which is fair enough.
It looks like we might get De Jong which will probably help us but I believe this club needs a season to regroup and prove ourselves again before we can sign the players that the status of our club expects. Im not expecting fireworks in the transfer window because of that so it’s damped my mood around transfers. Antony seems to want to come here, sign him and I’ll be happy. That’s the type of moves we need to be making and it’s the type I was expecting under Ten Hag

I'd normally be with ya bro I'd that is what we were reading was actually factual.

Apparently Erikson can't even sign to July any way, anything we are talking about and with the media in-between is just a created news cycle based on nothing.

It's Why I'm surprised you letting it determine your thinking around if he wants to come here or not.

reelworld

seriously all these United fans talking down on Brentford is doing my head in.
For someone who nearly died, I'd presume that Eriksen would like to think that there's more to his life than playing football to win trophies.
And that wasn't even guaranteed here either.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think he will sign for Brentford and we will see usual "ManUtd never followed up or seriously interested" tweets.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I bet ETH's thinking is that we will have a fecked-up schedule this coming season with matches being cramped in due to the WC and next season when players need their workload shared better.
We just cant rely on Bruno to do that creative attacking work now that Pogs is gone. Ericksen will know that. The issue is a personal/family one.

WPMUFC

Yeah, i don't really see why anyone is making this a Brentford v MUFC battle when it's all about whether he wants to remain in London for personal reasons or experience something different and get a pay day. If he stays at Brentford we all know it's not a "diss" at us, it's simply that he's putting personal before the pay day.

ForeverRed1

Surely Eriksen is just a backup-option in case we don’t land De Jong?
If that pursuit is successful we have De Jong, Bruno, Fred, DvdB and McT (and perhaps also Garner) to compete and cover for 2 positions at AM/CM. He will be a 2/3 choice.
Why spend resources in recruiting basically a short term replacement for Mata when we need someone to strengthen our starting eleven/DM?

I have great respect for the guy, and I’m glad to see him back on the pitch, but I really hope we steer clear of this one. This signing has desperation written all over it.
why would Eriksen be a back up for de jong? Totally different players

ForeverRed1

Yeah, i don't really see why anyone is making this a Brentford v MUFC battle when it's all about whether he wants to remain in London for personal reasons or experience something different and get a pay day. If he stays at Brentford we all know it's not a "diss" at us, it's simply that he's putting personal before the pay day.
playing for united isn’t just a pay day ffs. It’s playing for a huge club at old Trafford, infront of the biggest audience week in week out. Hardly a hard ship. As you said, if he stays at Brentford it’s because he is happy and settled with his family.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Tbf to this signing, it all just points to having a viable squad member who can still produce at a very high level - in response to losing a lot of players on a free. I assume that’s also what Eriksens hesitancy is about - game time which is a priority for him and could be guaranteed at other clubs but maybe not with us at this point.

But agreed with your notion above, our squad management has been a shambles. Inflated wages for underperformers, a host of underperforming players, lots of players leaving on a free and now we can’t even raise much funds through sales because of the high wages.

Hopefully once we get the house in order we can build on the stability by targeting 1-2 elite signings in the positions we need.

Bestietom

His contract runs out by the end of June, right? If so, isn’t it meaningful the announcement will be made after it?
Yes, he will make announcement after the 30th June when his contract expires. This coming week will be an exciting one for us as we will know about 2 prospective signings in De Jong and Eriksen.

Pronewbie

Peep
I agree...and we shouldn't have to contend for a single specific player. We take way too long to move on to other players. We should have a profile of a player we are considering and have 4 or 5 options in that profile. We should be moving on to other options really quickly rather than begging players like eriksen and de jong to join. Just go sign the next fdj. Liverpool literally do Bussiness like that.
Terminating Rangnick's contract was the nail in the coffin for any hopes we would shift our transfer strategy.

Pronewbie

Peep
Yes, he will make announcement after the 30th June when his contract expires. This coming week will be an exciting one for us as we will know about 2 prospective signings in De Jong and Eriksen.
Thanks. This gives me confidence that United will indeed push to close the De Jong deal by this coming week.

Mainoldo

I reckon he will sign. No way is he turning us down for Brentford no matter how banter ish it sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.