Christian Pulisic | Chelsea player

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
But, in the US you see kids mostly in Cristiano, Neymar, Messi, etc shirts. They are going to want to support the best. I feel US Soccer is in a place where they are not desperate for an American "star" anymore. And I feel everyone overestimates the marketing impact Park Ji Sung had.
You think Americans aren’t nationalistic enough to want to support a good American player? Really? ;)

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I think there are other options than him, of course he may end being a true talent, but right now the sum seems excesive for a player that was having his worst season since he broke through.

Other realistic options available for that money:

Bernardeschi - Juventus - 24 y.o.
talented player doesn't get much hype due to being in the same team as Cristiano and Dybala, but really talented.

Leon Bailey - Bayer Leverkusen - 21 y.o.
had a great season last year, I dont really know how this season has been for him. But he seemed a great talent.

Hirving Lozano - PSV - 23 y.o.
great breakout season last year and having a good season this year as well, although the Eredivise level is way below the Bundesliga.

Pablo Fornals - Villareal - 22 y.o.
really talented spanish player , won’t be long before he ends up at a bigger club. I think his buy out clause is below 30 million.

Saint Maximin - Nize - 21 y.o.
another young french talent, haven’t seen him play much but is talked as one of the hot prospect from league 1.

David Neres - Ajax - 21 y.o.
Another gem from the Ajax squad.

Federico Chiesa - Fiorentina 20 y.o. - regular player for Fiorentina, International with Italy and only 20 years old.

Cenzig Under - Roma 20 y.o.
regular player for Roma, truly talented a lot of skill and pace.

Of course all of them, except Bernardeschi IMO, are players with much to prove in a tougher league/team. But they have the same (or more) potential than Pulisic.

Yes Pulisic is a good prospect but people needs to stop talking about him as he was the only option we could get.
Lozano and saint maximin ( raw potential that will frustrate fans though) and maybe neres are the only ones I would want from that list.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Absolutely terrible tonight against Bremen. Needs to improve massively if he wants to succeed at Chelsea. It's not only today either, he hasn't been any good for quite some time now.

ChaddyP

Absolutely terrible tonight against Bremen. Needs to improve massively if he wants to succeed at Chelsea. It's not only today either, he hasn't been any good for quite some time now.
Was thinking the same watching this match. Though to be fair everyone's been shite

arthurka

I have never seen anything that tells me he will be a top player.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Was thinking the same watching this match. Though to be fair everyone's been shite
Agreed, but he has been consistently poor for about 1,5 years now. I'm sure Dortmund is more than happy with the amount of money they got for him.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He's a United fan, was open to a move, Dortmund were open to a sale, and we all know Ed has a raging stiffy for a new commercial signing.

If he was good enough, I've no doubt he'd be coming here. I can only think we took a look and didn't see what the fuss was about.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can't imagine Chelsea fans will be impressed by his showing tonight

wythyred

He has looked gash every time I have watched him play.

Seems like a bit of a myth similar to Douglas Costa and Coman.

Affirmation

I really do not get why we didn't sign Christian Pulisic, we could of easily beaten Chelsea to his signature as well. Our need for a Right Winger is still to be properly fulfilled and it looks like Jadon Sancho is staying at Dortmund for another year.

Even if we are committed to signing Sancho and will probably try again next year, Pulisic would of still fitted into this side nicely. Sancho is just as capable of playing as a Left Winger as is Pulisic and with Romelu Lukaku looking likely to leave it would present to us the opportunity of moving Anthony Martial back to the role of a Striker. Both Marcus Rashford and Martial were arguably in their best form when they were competing for the Left Wing role and this situation could of been emulated for the Striker position within the Starting Team.

As for the commercial side, I was listening to the "Transfer Window" Podcast and it was mentioned that the signing of Pulisic could potentially secure the American market for Chelsea should he perform well. Given our stronghold in America, this signing would of made economic sense as well. The player is also a Manchester United fan which we of course need more of within the dressing room and is known to have a great attitude, something our manager is known to admire.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Because in all honesty Pulisic just isn't that good and the hype that came with him when he first broke through was never justified. I've no doubts he'll go on to be a good player but I very much doubt he'll ever be a top one. His G+A stats are pretty poor for a winger, he would've been an expensive mistake IMO. Sancho was obviously the one to go for, you don't go for the player who loses his position, you go for the one who won the position out of the two. Regarding your point about Martial, I doubt he'll ever start as striker for us again, that spot completely belongs to Rashford.

I think it's time we stopped signing players for their commercial value and whatnot, sure he'd have made us a bit more popular in America but that's probably the most he could actually bring to the table.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
He ran the show last night, granted it was against T&T. By far the most skillful player on the pitch, no one was half as close in ability and intelligence.

I think he'll do alright with Chelsea but highly unlikely to develop to a top tier world class type. But he'd be an obvious improvement on what United toss out at RW of recent times.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
Most likely the new Pedro. Used properly, he can perform on top level.

RyRy11

I don't personally think he was worth £60m (in the last year of his contract). Time will tell.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
He ran the show last night, granted it was against T&T. By far the most skillful player on the pitch, no one was half as close in ability and intelligence.

I think he'll do alright with Chelsea but highly unlikely to develop to a top tier world class type. But he'd be an obvious improvement on what United toss out at RW of recent times.
Chelsea have a squad full of 'alriight players' which is why we're just an alright team these days. Adding another one is not going to close the big gap between us and City. We're just going to become another Arsenal the way we've been going in the transfer market in recent years. The quality signings have been far outweighed by the average and downright terrible ones.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Seeing how our transfer season is currently shaking out, I would have loved for us to sign Pulisic. Just wasn't in the cards with our managerial situation at the time. @AltiUn While I agree Sancho is the more exciting prospect, niggling injuries and running down his contract played a part as well too for why Sancho was favored to Pulisic. Pulisic would have been an immediate improvement for us and while definitely not cheap, I wouldn't classify him as super expensive at £57 million (especially for his age).

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
How do you figure that one?
Maybe because he is/was a United fan. Also commercially he would have been a huge success because of being American and all. Would have gone pretty well with our idiotic board which only cares about that aspect.

Mick1

From the Chelsea fans? Why would United fans give him positive or negative reception? It would be like asking what Jorginho’s reception will be like at OT.
He s a famous United fan making his first start at Old Trafford, despite playing for Chelsea. Thought the crowd cheered him on at first

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Where does Lampard play him? Left wing or right wing?
Left wing, he had a nice moment where he turned and left Wan Bissaka in the dust. I fully expected AWB to recover and make a tackle but Pulisic was rapid. Other than that, if you swapped shirts I don't think most people would notice a difference between him and Dan James.

Nick7

Left wing, he had a nice moment where he turned and left Wan Bissaka in the dust. I fully expected AWB to recover and make a tackle but Pulisic was rapid. Other than that, if you swapped shirts I don't think most people would notice a difference between him and Dan James.
Thankfully that was up in their half. I don't think I remembered a time in the game where he had the ball in our half.