Christian Pulisic | Chelsea player

Rossa

He's not starting ahead of Sancho. But yes, this is exactly what I've been saying the whole time - Chelsea would have 3 players for 2 winger spots - that means rotation. It's not a bad thing; if a young player has the right mentality then they can learn and grow and improve. My point is that it's hypocritical to say that this is a huge problem for Chelsea when if United had their way you'd do exactly the same thing.
It’s still not the same. We have one striker, one left wing and no right wing. Then we have Greenwood and James who are both squad players at this stage. Most expect Greenwood to replace either of the front three within a couple of years.

the same would be United buying a player to play ahead of Rashford, ahead of Martial and Greenwood. We are buying ONE, bot four. There is a distinct difference. Not grasping that makes it difficult to discuss. If it was the same, Rashford and Martial would also be squad players.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Been roundly praised & with good reason.
One has to sift through a lot of posts to find anything specifically Pulisic related.

He's in great form, and stylistically he's very similar to Hazard.

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It’s still not the same. We have one striker, one left wing and no right wing. Then we have Greenwood and James who are both squad players at this stage. Most expect Greenwood to replace either of the front three within a couple of years.

the same would be United buying a player to play ahead of Rashford, ahead of Martial and Greenwood. We are buying ONE, bot four. There is a distinct difference. Not grasping that makes it difficult to discuss. If it was the same, Rashford and Martial would also be squad players.
Pulisic was bought 18 months ago to play the void at left wing; not sure why he's lumped in. Havertz plays a different position and is a replacement for Barkley.

We're going from having Pulisic / Willian / Pedro / CHO to Pulisic / Ziyech / CHO. CHO's path to first team minutes is clearer. CHO is 19; Ziyech is 27. It seems an entirely reasonable possibility to me that in 3 years time CHO has become first choice.

Tammy is a different story. In his case, yes, he is being pushed down the pecking order. He'll have to demonstrate a willingness to fight for his place and he'll have to improve if he wants to start consistently.

Handré1990

He’s actually really fun to watch. I don’t ever remember him having similar impact at Dortmund, looked tidy with very good technical attributes. I suppose he was pretty young still while there, but he looks a different player I think.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Please stick to Pulisic discussion in the Pulisic thread rather than one person succeeding in riling an entire fanbase. If you want to discuss the merits of youth at both clubs, make a new thread.

I would clean this thread up but I'm on mobile at the moment and there are way too many posts to deal with presently. Just cool it from here.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He’s actually really fun to watch. I don’t ever remember him having similar impact at Dortmund, looked tidy with very good technical attributes. I suppose he was pretty young still while there, but he looks a different player I think.
My impression is that he plays a lot more on the left at Chelsea than for Dortmund, which makes it easier for him to cut inside. Maybe he's also drifting around more.

RyRoc

I watched him a few times for Dortmund and whilst it was clear he was technically strong , he did not have the unpredictability he's showing with his dribbling with Chelsea, defenders are literally terrified of him which is something he never had at Dortmund. Either he's in a really strong purple patch or his level has significantly improved in the short time he's been at Chelsea. Either way I think him and Fernandes have been the players in the league since the restart.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I watched him a few times for Dortmund and whilst it was clear he was technically strong , he did not have the unpredictability he's showing with his dribbling with Chelsea, defenders are literally terrified of him which is something he never had at Dortmund. Either he's in a really strong purple patch or his level has significantly improved in the short time he's been at Chelsea. Either way I think him and Fernandes have been the players in the league since the restart.
He seems to be a bit stronger post lockdown.

kclord

That little shift and change of pace for his goal today was great. Rare to see an example of American excellence these days:nervous:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think I've mentioned this a few pages back, but it's worrh keeping in mind that he was at Dortmund between age 16-20.

forevrared

He was a child when he broke through at Dortmund and his last year was a bit stop-start with his contract situation. He's grown up quite a bit and is learning to use his physicality more.

In Rainbows

I kind of thought the same, but I just checked his dribbling statistics and his age 19 season was comparable to Sancho's age 19 season (3 per 90 min). Pulisic's age 20 season came out at 4 dribbles per 90 min which was what Sancho had in his age 18 season.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Pulisic vs Awb in the fa cup would be interesting. Come to think of it Awb has had very little reason to tackle these days

Skeezix

Chelsea's very own Walmart Bruno.

Neat and tidy player though. Every time I watch a Chelsea match expecting them to lose, this guy scores crucial goals be it the City game or yesterday night.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's opening up the flood gate. Expecting Americans dominating soccer in near future.

Terminator

Is in a very strong purple patch, good player. Still not sure if he is a good technical dribbler or just goes through in patches of form like Mkhitaryan did?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Can he do it on a Wednesday night at Stoke though?
That’s the true test.
Seriously I’ve been both surprised and impressed with him of late. And to think he was a Utd fan when he was a kid....
I hope that he continues to do well so long as it doesn’t affect us of course.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Can he do it on a Wednesday night at Stoke though?
That’s the true test.
Seriously I’ve been both surprised and impressed with him of late. And to think he was a Utd fan when he was a kid....
I hope that he continues to do well so long as it doesn’t affect us of course.
I don't really think players care as much about who they supported growing up as we like to believe.

We've got Pulisic the United fan while Sancho the Chelsea fan is heading your way. Shaw was a Chelsea fan, so was OX, Rudiger supported Arsenal, Terry United to pluck some examples.

rotherham_red

I don't really think players care as much about who they supported growing up as we like to believe.

We've got Pulisic the United fan while Sancho the Chelsea fan is heading your way. Shaw was a Chelsea fan, so was OX, Rudiger supported Arsenal, Terry United to pluck some examples.
I'm pretty sure Ox was a Liverpool fan growing up

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

I’d say most of the time the only thing that matters is who’s Shown the faith to pay the millions.

Makelele

He is more Robben than Hazard, imo. Quick on the trigger, and extremely fluid.

mancan92

Weird people are saying they are surprised at his play. The season sancho came in pulisic was seen as one of the most exciting young players in the world. Many people were extremely excited about him. Also someone mentioned they didn't see the unpredictability that's a really weird statement when his biggest asset when he was younger was how unpredictable he is on the ball and how good his dribbling is at speed.

Handré1990

My impression is that he plays a lot more on the left at Chelsea than for Dortmund, which makes it easier for him to cut inside. Maybe he's also drifting around more.
Yeah, good point. Come to think of it, I only saw him on the right side for you guys.
This was my impression as well, though I probably only watched him about 5 times for them, seen as many for Chelsea now. Anyway, good player.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Weird people are saying they are surprised at his play. The season sancho came in pulisic was seen as one of the most exciting young players in the world. Many people were extremely excited about him. Also someone mentioned they didn't see the unpredictability that's a really weird statement when his biggest asset when he was younger was how unpredictable he is on the ball and how good his dribbling is at speed.
I think with a different passport few people would have praised him to such an extend. He played together with Sancho and Dembele at Dortmund, two genuine world class talents who took charge of attacks (almost) immediately and he clearly paled in comparison to both of them.
When Chelsea offered over €60m with one year left on his contract people were like "silly British club, handing out gifts again".

Last edited:

mancan92

I think with a different passport few people would have praised him to such an extend. He played together with Sancho and Dembele at Dortmund, two genuine world class talents who took charge of attacks (almost) immediately and he clearly paled in comparison to both of them.
When Chelsea offered over €60m with one year left on his contract people were like "silly British club, handing out gifts again".
I got the impression that it was more his contract issue that forced him out of the team more than Sancho. Before then he was as exciting as any other young player in Europe.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I got the impression that it was more his contract issue that forced him out of the team more than Sancho. Before then he was as exciting as any other young player in Europe.
I really don't understand posts like that. Why would a coach deliberately weaken his team, because a player's contract runs out in two years? Why would a club's management want to tank a player's value before they have to sell him? That's just not logical. There wasn't even any bad blood between Pulisic and the club, he was a good lad, the club gave him his break in Europe, he gave back some good performances/access to the US market and when he left the club got extremely well compensated.

I mean no offense, but come on:

vs

"contract issue"

Whoscored's index tells a similar story:

As I've said, he can't have been as exciting as any young player in Europe, because at least two players in his squad were clearly one level above him. Regardless of form or other factors. He started out as an incredibly mature and neat 17 year old, but more or less stagnated from there. He seems to have grown into a more commanding role at Chelsea, which is nice to see. But I wouldn't rewrite history because of it.

Reactions: Invictus

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
That wasn't the case at all. Chelsea actually bought him in winter but Dortmund specifically wanted to keep him for the second half of that season, but Sancho was simply better.

Must be shocking to read for many people here, but he is actually performing better in the Premier League than he was in Bundesliga.

Not disputing the Premier league being the strongest league in the world, but the arrogance towards other leagues is really cringy at times.

mancan92

I really don't understand posts like that. Why would a coach deliberately weaken his team, because a player's contract runs out in two years? Why would a club's management want to tank a player's value before they have to sell him? That's just not logical. There wasn't even any bad blood between Pulisic and the club, he was a good lad, the club gave him his break in Europe, he gave back some good performances/access to the US market and when he left the club got extremely well compensated.

I mean no offense, but come on:

vs

"contract issue"

Whoscored's index tells a similar story:

As I've said, he can't have been as exciting as any young player in Europe, because at least two players in his squad were clearly one level above him. Regardless of form or other factors. He started out as an incredibly mature and neat 17 year old, but more or less stagnated from there. He seems to have grown into a more commanding role at Chelsea, which is nice to see. But I wouldn't rewrite history because of it.
What are you on about that literally happens all the time. Our own Gómes wasn't given chances after November when it became clear that he wasn't sorting his contract properly with us. It happens all through out the whole. It's not a confusing or foreign concept. Managers only want players who are committed to the team.

mancan92

That wasn't the case at all. Chelsea actually bought him in winter but Dortmund specifically wanted to keep him for the second half of that season, but Sancho was simply better.

Must be shocking to read for many people here, but he is actually performing better in the Premier League than he was in Bundesliga.

Not disputing the Premier league being the strongest league in the world, but the arrogance towards other leagues is really cringy at times.
To me personally I don't see the prem being better just different types of football in every country. Some players are suited to different styles of play. I always believed a player like him would thrive here anyway.