Christian Pulisic | Chelsea player

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He only joined BVB 2 years ago and that interview where he said he's a big United fan is 11 months old. I'm sure he's fond of BVB by now but doubt that much has changed with regards to where he dreams of playing.

Plus Bundesliga is not a league to inspire. You either play for FCB and win titles or you don't and you are always on the outside looking in. I'm sure when he develops a bit more he'd like to play for a team with more aspirations and potential to win things. Not to mention in a league that pays better and where his mother tongue is spoken.

I mean Mkhi and Kagawa wanted to come here and they were neither United fans nor native English speakers.
Wasn't Kagawa always a United fan?

PieCrust

Wherever he moves, just hope it isn't Liverpool. They keep being linked with him and it'd break my heart if he went there.

Tough to make it in Germany though. It's a very tough league for forgieners. Very proud of his progress thus far and in reality, staying at Dortmund for the next 2 years w/ regular playing time is the best thing for him, assuming he keeps a mostly starting role at the club.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Probably more like 6. One of us, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal, or one of the big 2 from Spain. If he was Italian, I'd add Juve, Inter and AC, which all have big followings with people of Italian descent, but don't have as big a catch-all crowd with other demographics. I'm 29, but that just how it was when I was growing up, and the popularity of teams around my college campus which bar was always packed for CL games. No idea if City, PSG, and Spurs have made sizable inroads. Not sure if Bayern has either. Dortmund was pretty much everyone 2nd team though around 2010-2013, where they were no ones favorite, but no one hated them. This is just in my experience in Canada, which I would assume has a similar vibe as the US.
Can't really compare the Spanish teams. You'll find people that will pick either one but few that follow La Liga but not the Premier League actively.

He only joined BVB 2 years ago and that interview where he said he's a big United fan is 11 months old. I'm sure he's fond of BVB by now but doubt that much has changed with regards to where he dreams of playing.

Plus Bundesliga is not a league to inspire. You either play for FCB and win titles or you don't and you are always on the outside looking in. I'm sure when he develops a bit more he'd like to play for a team with more aspirations and potential to win things. Not to mention in a league that pays better and where his mother tongue is spoken.

I mean Mkhi and Kagawa wanted to come here and they were neither United fans nor native English speakers.
Yes 2 years ago, when he was 16. He became a pro then and since that time his focus has been Dortmund and Dortmund alone. He's not going to spend his time thinking about what's going on in the PL. It hardly matters at all which club you followed as a kid. Welbeck asked to leave, Ramsey picked Arsenal over us and O'Shea took our contract offer despite being a Liverpool supporter. Gerrard is Liverpool through and through but used to be an Everton fan.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Sweeeet. He looks like a very decent prospect. He is 10 years younger from Mkhi, so in a couple of years time it'd be a great time to move for him.

If we play our cards right we could get him on the cheap too.
Maybe if we'd gotten him earlier in this transfer window. Little chance anyone will be getting him for cheap after the crazy inflated numbers that are being thrown around now. If Dortmund want €150 million for Dembele, they'll prolly be asking for at least €100 million for Pulisic whose contract runs through 2020. I can see both us and Liverpool going hard after him post-World Cup. He'd be absolutely perfect for us both on the pitch and in a commercial sense.

Kearnkoff69

He's really quite good. Shows consistency and maturity that some players never achieve, even if there will be those who are more talented than him. Hope he cements a starting spot in the next season or two so he can continue to grow.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I am excited for him and just wish team USA had better players to play with him.
I blame the USSF youth setup and MLS to some extent. Youth soccer is still focused on college scholarship/development route where a player's growth is stunted. USSF and MLS need to focus on academy development and put money into it.

That or the better US talents should go to Europe to play in proper academy environments.

DannyDee

Can't really compare the Spanish teams. You'll find people that will pick either one but few that follow La Liga but not the Premier League actively.
Yeah, people obviously follow the EPL with more intensity. In Canada, the EPL and Champions League are significantly more accessible than any major league, with only Bundesliga also having the occasional game on entry-level cable channels. Serie A, La Liga and Ligue 1 are all Bein properties, although with the new streaming package having full control on the NFL package in Canada, also having Ligue 1, Serie A and La Liga, they have all become much more accessible and will, therefore, be easier for people to follow.

Either way, very curious to see how Pulisic develops. No Americans have really made their mark at a top Euro club. When Tim Howard had his spell with us it was fairly highly hyped. If an exciting attacker can crack one of the top 6 or a big continental team (Barca, Real, Bayern, or Juve) it will be a big deal.

Adnandos

He's going to be incredible and I hope to God above that Mourinho see's him eventually as an option for our right wing.

MadMike

Maybe if we'd gotten him earlier in this transfer window. Little chance anyone will be getting him for cheap after the crazy inflated numbers that are being thrown around now. If Dortmund want €150 million for Dembele, they'll prolly be asking for at least €100 million for Pulisic whose contract runs through 2020. I can see both us and Liverpool going hard after him post-World Cup. He'd be absolutely perfect for us both on the pitch and in a commercial sense.
We don't need him now and he shouldn't move now either. He only now became a starter at BVB with the Dembele situation. He should stay there for a couple more years to develop his game for sure, a move to the EPL would be too soon now.

When I said we could get him on the cheap, I meant in 2019 not now. We should visibly scout him the same way we did with Perisic (maybe with a Mourinho visit or two) and make it known that we are very interested. Put the seeds in his head. Promise him a nice sign on fee if he does not renew with BVB. Then in the summer of 2019 BVB will have to sell on the cheap or lose him for free the next summer and we could probably get him for 30-40m.

At 20yo in 2019 he'd still be very young but at least by that time he'll have some seasons under his belt and experience. It would be the right time for him to make the leap probably.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Just watched this. Might have been posted before but it's not in this thread.

Huge talent. Great head on his shoulders. Excellent family behind him. Pics of him at Old Trafford & in a United shirt woven in there.

Dortmund have a great player on their hands.

izec

Just watched this. Might have been posted before but it's not in this thread.

Huge talent. Great head on his shoulders. Excellent family behind him. Pics of him at Old Trafford & in a United shirt woven in there.

Dortmund have a great player on their hands.

Grooming a future United legend

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Grooming a future United legend
Can't remember the last time I saw a player that two-footed. Nedved probably. I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest he'd still be a top talent if he could only use his weaker foot.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
He seems like he could keep on improving a lot and become one of the top players. He also seems like a realistic kind of signing for us. More great scouting from Dortmund. He'd also be a total marketing dream for Ed in the USA...

He IS constantly improving. It's incredible at what rate he does that and his biggest strength. Comparing end of last season and this seasons games is like night and day. And that's just a few months. Haven't seen a player grow that rapidly AND steadily in a while. Many youth players kinda go with plateaus and bumps of growth - but somehow it seems he just keeps constantly growing.

If he keeps doing that and stays free of long-lasting injuries, I don't know where the limit for him is. I just hope he is gonna renew his contract and stay for 2 more seasons in Dortmund (or longer of course ;) ).

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
He IS constantly improving. It's incredible at what rate he does that and his biggest strength. Comparing end of last season and this seasons games is like night and day. And that's just a few months. Haven't seen a player grow that rapidly AND steadily in a while. Many youth players kinda go with plateaus and bumps of growth - but somehow it seems he just keeps constantly growing.

If he keeps doing that and stays free of long-lasting injuries, I don't know where the limit for him is. I just hope he is gonna renew his contract and stay for 2 more seasons in Dortmund (or longer of course ;) ).
Never seen him play, what type of player is he?

SirAF

Ageist
If we miss out on this lad I’ll be seriously pissed. Should be a fairly easy transfer imo.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If we miss out on this lad I’ll be seriously pissed. Should be a fairly easy transfer imo.
With the state of the inflated market at the moment, especially for talented youngsters, I'm not so sure about that SirAF.

But I watched the video and read a bit on here about him being a United fan as well? Hopefully that helps, should we be interested in him.

SirAF

Ageist
With the state of the inflated market at the moment, especially for talented youngsters, I'm not so sure about that SirAF.

But I watched the video and read a bit on here about him being a United fan as well? Hopefully that helps, should we be interested in him.
I’m thinking more along the lines that Dortmund won’t be able to hang onto him for much longer and that United have the means to get him. Not that there wouldn’t be competition though!

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Who's his comparison?

Does he score goals or mostly a playmaker?

George Beast

I imagine the Glazers and Woodward are already salivating at the prospect of this lad at United. We'd take over the American market with him at the club.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The fact that he's another from Dortmund puts me off a bit. They usually flop elsewhere.
Isn't that stereotype a bit dated?

recent sales:
Dembele - too soon to tell.
Mkhitaryan - performing roughly as expected
Hummels - performing well
Gündogan - performing well between his injuries

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Who's his comparison?

He's a wide forward in the modern mold - does a bit of playmaking and has added goals as he's gotten older. You could maybe compare him roughly to Kaka in terms of playing style? Something along those lines.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm just trying to describe style of play / position on the pitch. Obviously he's very unlikely to be as good as Kaka was, simply because very few players in the history of the sport have been that good. Doesn't mean his style of play can't be described as something similar.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He actually reminds me of Ribery. No lightning pace but quick on the ball with both playmaking and goalscoring abilities.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's going to be an excelent player, but I don't see material to become a decisive type of player.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I’m thinking more along the lines that Dortmund won’t be able to hang onto him for much longer and that United have the means to get him. Not that there wouldn’t be competition though!
Yeah, I'd agree with that. He'd be a great replacement on the right - seemingly he can play across the frontline, or even behind Lukaku in a couple of years. But as we all know, 2-3 years is a long time in football and a lot can change.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Who's his comparison?

A bit like Griezmann when he was at Real Sociedad - but very two-footed and with more pace (not extreme by any means, he just has that extra gear in terms of acceleration which allows him to beat his marker more easily that the Atlético player). Decent creator and goalscorer right now - with the potential to be very good at both if he keeps developing at his current rate. Much like Griezmann, I think his most noticeable strength when you watch him play is his spatial and tactical intelligence - very rarely will you find a young player who's so intuitive and cunning in terms of his movement - both on and off the ball - probably one of the best for young players in the Bundesliga since Thomas Müller in that department. Also, he has a decent understanding of his defensive responsibilities and is quite brave despite his average stature - that's something Griezmann has, too. Based on what they showed at Dortmund, I reckon he doesn't have the pure potential of Dembélé in terms of being someone who can influence games on his own, but Pulisic should develop into an excellent player in his own right - especially when you consider his penchant for improvement with every season.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
A bit like Griezmann when he was at Real Sociedad - but very two-footed and with more pace (not extreme by any means, he just has that extra gear in terms of acceleration which allows him to beat his marker more easily that the Atlético player). Decent creator and goalscorer right now - with the potential to be very good at both if he keeps developing at his current rate. Much like Griezmann, I think his most noticeable strength when you watch him play is his spatial and tactical intelligence - very rarely will you find a young player who's so intuitive and cunning in terms of his movement - both on and off the ball - probably one of the best for young players in the Bundesliga since Thomas Müller in that department. Also, he has a decent understanding of his defensive responsibilities and is quite brave despite his average stature - that's something Griezmann has, too. Based on what they showed at Dortmund, I reckon he doesn't have the pure potential of Dembélé in terms of being someone who can influence games on his own, but Pulisic should develop into an excellent player in his own right - especially when you consider his penchant for improvement with every season.

The Müller comparision is quite decent, but not quite it. He definitely is capable of more on the ball than Müller, but naturally Müllers spatial and tactical intelligence is out of those world which he is ahead. Additionally I think you should have emphatised his two-footedness more. It's definitely beyond the average two-footedness.

And he probably is a tad bit below Dembele in terms of overall potential - but to be fair, he is also 1y4m younger. We will see where he stands in 1 year and 4 months.

Aza Boy

Dortmund players only works at Dortmund or Germany league.

Kagawa ? Mkhirtayan ? 2 of their claimed best players...nothing special when came to United.

Even Dembele wont be as expected at Barca. Pulisic is like a Griezman ? Ah really. Let him surpass Gotze or Reus level first. Dortmund former wonderkids.