Christian Pulisic | Chelsea player

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Dortmund players only works at Dortmund or Germany league.

Kagawa ? Mkhirtayan ? 2 of their claimed best players...nothing special when came to United.

Even Dembele wont be as expected at Barca. Pulisic is like a Griezman ? Ah really. Let him surpass Gotze or Reus level first. Dortmund former wonderkids.
It's almost as if tactical context matters for a player's performance.. Weird.

Aza Boy

It's almost as if tactical context matters for a player's performance.. Weird.
Tactical context is indeed matters, mate. Sometimes, the tactical hides the actual level of a player...it can be good or bad.

And also the football style and environment will affect the player.

Kagawa looked a very weak in EPL, same with Mkhirtayan. Both of them on of Bundesligue best. They could not cope maximally with EPL.

Javi Martinez, remember him ? The one who thinks he was WC and could play for mighty Bayern, so he bought his own release clause. Where is he now ?

Gotze, not praised as Dortmund wunderkind but also German wonderkid, what happened to him now ?

Or Messi in Argentina as an example.

Young player being good does not mean he will be a WC in a sudden. Martial as an example.

And being USA player, the king country of Marketing gimmick (remember Addu ?
Altidore ? Bradley ? Clint Dempsey ?) but with no strong root in football, how can you expect a WC talent has been born ?

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Tactical context is indeed matters, mate. Sometimes, the tactical hides the actual level of a player...it can be good or bad.

Kagawa looked a very weak in EPL, same with Mkhirtayan. Both of them on of Bundesligue best. They could not cope maximally with EPL.

Javi Martinez, remember him ? The one who thinks he was WC and could play for mighty Bayern, so he bought his own release clause. Where is he now ?

Gotze, not praised as Dortmund wunderkind but also German wonderkid, what happened to him now ?

Young player being good does not mean he will be a WC in a sudden. Martial as an example.

Altidore ? Bradley ? Clint Dempsey ?) but with no strong root in football, how can you expect a WC talent has been born ?
Delete your account IMO

manunited1919

Kagawa ? Mkhirtayan ? 2 of their claimed best players...nothing special when came to United.

Even Dembele wont be as expected at Barca. Pulisic is like a Griezman ? Ah really. Let him surpass Gotze or Reus level first. Dortmund former wonderkids.
Lewandowski ?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Marketing gimmicks for Altidore, Bradley, Dempsey... that poster hasn't a fecking clue. Adu was the only marketing ploy amongst that quartet of players mentioned and that was due to his age and prodigy status thrust up by a league and sponsor with support from a national federation. Buy a fecking clue.

NoPace

He actually reminds me of Ribery. No lightning pace but quick on the ball with both playmaking and goalscoring abilities.
I think this one makes some sense. He's not quite as quick or brilliant a close dribbler but he's got 2 good feet, looks to create for others but also score goals. I could see him being the kind of player who gets a goal and an assist every 2nd game, which Ribery has pretty consistently done.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I feel like Pulisic is good at many things but actually great at none beside being extremely mature for his age.
Given his age that's hardly damming, but his path to being a true top player doesn't seem as clearly outlined as it is for Mbappe and Dembele.

herbert

Who exactly claimed that Mkhitaryan was Dortmund's best player?
He had a good last year with them, but any follower of the Bundesliga would tell you that Reus is twice the player Mkhitaryan is.
Other BVB players better than Mkhitaryan in 2015 include Weigl, Gündogan, Aubameyang, Hummels, Sokratis.

herbert

Regarding Pulisic, I cannot remember a bad game from him. He is extremely reliable. Even if he doesn't score or assist, he is more often than not involved in Dortmund's best attacks.
He is very direct in his play, has great acceleration when taking on players and is creating panic in the opponent's defence.
He makes clever runs and defends very well. His finishing keeps improving. He is a real pain in the a.. for defenders.

HoopsMcCann

Marketing gimmicks for Altidore, Bradley, Dempsey...
Dempsey scored 20+ goals in a season with Fulham.... from midfield. Pulisic looks like he's going to be much better. He doesn't really have a weakness and he's 19.

If he leaves BvB the transfer fee will be insane.

MrMarcello

There's plenty of examples of this to be fair. George Best, Andriy Shevchenko, Roy Keane, Gareth Bale etc were all world class players from nations that were anything but.
Also - George Weah. And about half of the French greats born outside the nation. "Go play for Senegal!"

It's bound to happen for the US to produce a truly world class talent, the odds would support such. Technically, the likes of Friedel and Howard have had a world class season or two at their position.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München

A new star on the shit post horizon has risen.

Delete your account IMO
Well put :lol:

MrMarcello

Dempsey scored 20+ goals in a season with Fulham.... from midfield. Pulisic looks like he's going to be much better. He doesn't really have a weakness and he's 19.

If he leaves BvB the transfer fee will be insane.
Not sure if you understood my post, but I wasn't claiming marketing for Dempsey. His "marketing" came well after he had established himself in Europe and internationally for the US. Same with Bradley and others. Only Adu was the one with the great hype campaign after having done nothing beyond youth level. Even Pulisic has cracked a top flight squad in a top flight league before his hype grew.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Who exactly claimed that Mkhitaryan was Dortmund's best player?
He had a good last year with them, but any follower of the Bundesliga would tell you that Reus is twice the player Mkhitaryan is.
Other BVB players better than Mkhitaryan in 2015 include Weigl, Gündogan, Aubameyang, Hummels, Sokratis.
Are you sure about the 2015 bit, bud? I didn't, and don't follow the Bundesliga that closely, so can't comment on my own views but from what I read on here, his stats for the season and also being voted into the Bundesliga team of the season (or a player of year nomination or something along those lines) - I'd say it's quite possible that Mkhi was one of their best players, if not their best player, in 2015/2016 season.

ManUtd1999

If he comes to United, all United games in the U.S. will be given a priority-- no NBC Gold. Sign him, at least for that :smirk:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Yeah, I too believe in the mysterious voodoo magic that curses all former Dortmund players once they move away from the German league, regardless of physical, tactical, technical and mental ability.

herbert

Are you sure about the 2015 bit, bud? I didn't, and don't follow the Bundesliga that closely, so can't comment on my own views but from what I read on here, his stats for the season and also being voted into the Bundesliga team of the season (or a player of year nomination or something along those lines) - I'd say it's quite possible that Mkhi was one of their best players, if not their best player, in 2015/2016 season.
What you say is correct, concerning team of the season, player of the season etc. in his last year for Dortmund.
However, his stats are misleading. Dortmund had to qualify for the Europa League that year and Mkhitaryan amassed goals against 3rd grade opposition in the qualifying rounds.
I am judging him over the 3 years he played for Dortmund. If there was a "worst player of the league award" in the Bundesliga, Mkhitaryan surely would have been awarded with that in his second season for Dortmund. His first season was o.k., but he single-handedly prevented Dortmund's progress to the CL semi-finals with two god-awful performances against Madrid that year.
Even in his good third season he went missing in the cup final against Bayern and refused to take a penalty in the shoot-out, forcing defenders to take and miss them.
I am not denying that his last season for Dortmund was good and he often looked brilliant. The talent is clearly there.
But to claim that he was Dortmund's best player is just ridiculous if you look at his team mates like Reus, Auba, Gündogan etc. who performed on a world-class level on a weekly basis while Mkhitaryan was world-class one week and looked like a sunday league player the next.

edit: to keep this on topic: I don't think there is one BVB fan who would like to swap Mkhitaryan for Pulisic right now.

Stadjer

Manchester United + American potential (world) class player... imagine all the dollars the club will get.

Pulesic also can actually play football.. that Chinese marketing player couldnt very well.. wasnt his name Dong or something like that?

I thought he's better than Dembele. Ousmane has the circus tricks, but Pulisic has the killer instinct. He's a match winner, and he'll kill off some very good teams for years to come. The balance, ball control, intelligence is clearly elite level.

dichinero

The question is, where we we when Dortmund were scooping him up? It's annoying when you later find out that they've always been united fans.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How hard is it to pronounce his name correctly?
Like many, over time in the USA the pronunciation of family names changes (like towns, etc). The way he and his family pronounce their name isn't the way it would be pronounced in the Balkans.

Makes for interesting TV, German announcers mangle it regularly (being more comfortable with Balkan names)

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I thought he's better than Dembele. Ousmane has the circus tricks, but Pulisic has the killer instinct. He's a match winner, and he'll kill off some very good teams for years to come. The balance, ball control, intelligence is clearly elite level.
He's mint in PES 2018. That's the highest indicator of whether a young player is talented or not. :D

edcunited1878

The question is, where we we when Dortmund were scooping him up? It's annoying when you later find out that they've always been united fans.
Pulisic's father knew best for him and they as a family decided Dortmund over a whole host of clubs. It's a wonderful story and he's the real deal, but most importantly, he ended up at right place, right system and right club.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Gotta love the intro to the piece by 60 minutes, the interviewer didn't even attempt a pronunciation of Borussia Dortmund

seegoblu

An interesting "fact" from the piece on 60 Minutes, the USA has more than 4.5 million youth players, more than any other country. Is that even true? I would assume that based simply by size alone China has more people doing everything than any other country.

Assuming the US youth participation fact is true, however, it makes sense to me that there would be some WC talent being identified (Pulisic was identified by EU scouts at age 12) and then trained appropriately in the US or elsewhere. Frankly, it is more surprising that there hasn't been more WC talent from the US than just Pulisic given the level of participation and resources available.

Reactions: Penna