Christian Pulisic | Chelsea player

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Borussia Dortmund youngster Christian Pulisic has revealed Manchester United used to be his favourite team in his younger years and is drawing inspiration from Wayne Rooney.

The 17-year-old is regarded as one of the best youngsters around in the game and he was heavily linked with a move to Liverpool in the closing days of the transfer window.

However, United might have a better chance luring him to Old Trafford instead following the winger's latest comments.

"I was a big Manchester United fan when I was younger," Pulisic told ESPN. "I loved to watch Rooney. I wouldn't say I'm a similar player, though.

"I think his passion for the game is something you don't see much in players. That's what I loved about him."

PieCrust

So glad he didn't move to Liverpool. Dortmund is where he needs to be right now for his development.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
So glad he didn't move to Liverpool. Dortmund is where he needs to be right now for his development.
Not sure, if this is true. There's too much competition there for him right now. He won't get past Dembele, and Mor looks at least as good as a talent than him.
Then there are still Reus, Schürrle and Götze, of course. A loan to a lesser team would have been the best solution for him.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
He's some kind of striker, but not in the No9 sense, so he's competing for one of the spots behind the CF

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He's only 17?!

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not sure, if this is true. There's too much competition there for him right now. He won't get past Dembele, and Mor looks at least as good as a talent than him.
Then there are still Reus, Schürrle and Götze, of course. A loan to a lesser team would have been the best solution for him.
I love how many people state this as something set in stone. We played 2 1/2 official games so far and in all games Tuchel overall favoured players who participated in the whole pre season, which Dembele in difference to Pulisic did. It is way too soon to create any kind of ranking amongst the talents.

Pulisic won´t go anywhere on loan until he signs a long lasting contract with us, which is not possible until he turns 18. Maybe we will evaluate his situation again in the Winter send him on loan for one and a half season. I wouldn´t be surprised if he gets enough playing time to develop properly (which are at his age not consistent starts as he is still mostly learning) as Tuchel clearly rates him. Otherwise we wouldf have signed Dembele in the last Winter already and not made Pulisic debut at one of the youngest ages in the league´s history.

HoopsMcCann

Starting tonight vs Trinidad and Tobago.

CONCACAF Thunder!!

In Jacksonville, Fl.....a terrifying place.

Best US prospect since Landon Donavan.....

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Good game from him today. Kid has a really bright future. Would love if he found his way to Old Trafford should he keep developing.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Could be the US's first true World Class player or at least first time US produced a player good enough to be a key player for an elite European team. US has not produced a player with this level of technical ability before.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Could be the US's first true World Class player or at least first time US produced a player good enough to be a key player for an elite European team. US has not produced a player with this level of technical ability before.
Rossi? Granted, he never played for the US team, but he's an American. Shame that injuries have stalled his career.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Rossi? Granted, he never played for the US team, but he's an American. Shame that injuries have stalled his career.
He moved to Italy when he was 12 and he only had one truly World Class season(10-11) yeah injuries have stalled his career. Hopefully he is able to find fitness and form at Celta Vigo.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Dortmund have some cracking youngsters in Pulisic, Passlack, Dembele and Mor.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
This guy has been doing good for Borussia.
Looks really agile and determined, with a high work rate, not to mention his brilliant first touch.
Offensive his runs remind me of Martial, but his defensive work is really good as well.

Mandatory video, but the 4:48 video shows some defensive work. That's important if he's to make a transition to PL in the future:

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
I used to think that Pulisic was "good at everything but not great at anything", but he has really convinced me that he has all the talent to be a top player in the future. He seems to be very mature and he makes some impressive, clever runs in attack.

ThomasEmil

This kid is only 18 and already shows himself as being able to challenge Reus for the position. Incredible. But I'm pretty sure we'd already have signed him (or Pep would) if he was available

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We've been heavily linked with Pulisic. It wouldn't surprise me if we made a bid in January.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Where I'm at atm has disgraceful internet and I can't stream anything, can someone give me an idea of what kind of player he is?
I saw him in about 3 or 4 games domestically last season for Dortmund, and their European games this season, but I didn't really get an idea of him but his record is very impressive.

3KDré

I thought he was a striker? He mainly seems to play as a winger.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This kid is only 18 and already shows himself as being able to challenge Reus for the position. Incredible. But I'm pretty sure we'd already have signed him (or Pep would) if he was available
Reus has not played a single minute since May. Pulisic has the potential to become as good or maybe even better than Reus one day, but in the present Reus is still the better and especially more productive football player. If the decision would be between a healthy Reus and Pulisic in an important match it would always be the former that would start. He and Aubameyang are our biggest difference maker.

Reus is not even Pulisic´ direct competition right now, Dembele and Mor are. Right now in the internal ranking he is about on the same level as the former and a good deal higher than the latter.

We've been heavily linked with Pulisic. It wouldn't surprise me if we made a bid in January.
I´m pretty sure Klopp & Co. will have better things to do than try things which will only lead into a dead end. We are not selling essential players in the Winter, never have under the current leadership (since 2005). Pulisic as arguably the third option on the wide positions belongs into that category. There is also not a single reason for Pulisic to move from Dortmund to Liverpool in the forseeable future.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
If you bid €15M that´s not a link. That´s not enough to talk to him. That pays for permission to give him a back scratch. I know Dortmund has a strict wage policy, but they would be crazy not to pay this kid whatever he wants. He pays for himself. A genuine world class player from the USA. This is like the NBA finding Yao Ming.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If you bid €15M that´s not a link. That´s not enough to talk to him. That pays for permission to give him a back scratch. I know Dortmund has a strict wage policy, but they would be crazy not to pay this kid whatever he wants. He pays for himself. A genuine world class player from the USA. This is like the NBA finding Yao Ming.
You mean having the potential to become that, right? Otherwise this term has really become inflated on here.

As for the wages, he will probably be offered the salary of a standart starter, which would be quite a lot for an 18 year old. We pay quite well by now. He could surely earn more elsewhere, but nowhere where the perspective of development would be as good as with us.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I´m pretty sure Klopp & Co. will have better things to do than try things which will only lead into a dead end. We are not selling essential players in the Winter, never have under the current leadership (since 2005). Pulisic as arguably the third option on the wide positions belongs into that category. There is also not a single reason for Pulisic to move from Dortmund to Liverpool in the forseeable future.
I didn't say we would sign him, just that Klopp has shown some interest and might try and sign him. Given what you're saying @Sphaero it's very unlikely he'll go anywhere in January. Whether or not he'd sign for us in the summer could depend on where we're at with Klopp. If we've made Champions League qualification then maybe he'd consider it. I suppose it depends on his situation at Dortmund and who else is interested.

Clearly he's a very exciting talent though.

whatagoodname

Supports
Liverpool
Supposedly we bid, but i don't think anyone expected he'd progress as much as he has.

I think the assumption was that he'd struggle for playing time with the amount of talent at Dortmund, but he's been brilliant.

Think we're a long shot to get him. He'd actually be perfect for our front 3.

ThomasEmil

Supposedly we bid, but i don't think anyone expected he'd progress as much as he has.

I think the assumption was that he'd struggle for playing time with the amount of talent at Dortmund, but he's been brilliant.

Think we're a long shot to get him. He'd actually be perfect for our front 3.
Was he with Dortmund while Klopp was there (be it in the young ranks)?

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Was he with Dortmund while Klopp was there (be it in the young ranks)?
He transfered into BVB youth towards the end of Klopp's last season.
I'd imagine he was approached earlier of course (there were bureaucratic hurdles to overcome, his father moved too etc). Klopp was surely in the loop about this signing though I don't think Pulisic, then 15 years old, trained a minute under him. At that time Klopp would have had other things to worry about too, mind you.

Doesn't matter though, he surely has much more rapport with Tuchel by now, BVB is, as of now, arguably already a notch above Liverpool as a club AND he's getting significantly more game time there than he could possibly expect at Liverpool or any other top club.
And that's not even talking about the lack of incentive to sell on BVB's side.
Liverpool won't get him.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'd imagine he was approached earlier of course (there were bureaucratic hurdles to overcome, his father moved too etc). Klopp was surely in the loop about this signing though I don't think Pulisic, then 15 years old, trained a minute under him. At that time Klopp would have had other things to worry about too, mind you.

Doesn't matter though, he surely has much more rapport with Tuchel by now, BVB is, as of now, arguably already a notch above Liverpool as a club AND he's getting significantly more game time there than he could possibly expect at Liverpool or any other top club.
Liverpool won't get him.
He was surely been informed about the transfer and his reputation probably helped with improving how young players saw Dortmund as a club, but that is where his influence in signing him ended.

The head coach of the senior team has basically nothing to do with signing youth players at that age. That is completely Ricken´s (head of academy) and Zorc´s (DoF) department.

EDIT: I agree with the general assessment, btw.

Last edited:

MounchesterUtd

Has a chance to be the US' first top drawer superstar. Not just a great player for their national team, but actually someone who can produce the goods in Europe. His marketing potential is crazy and I expect him to trigger bidding wars between the moneyed clubs in a few years, so long as he stays healthy and his development doesn't stagnate.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
He was surely been informed about the transfer and his reputation probably helped with improving how young players saw Dortmund as a club, but that is where his influence in signing him ended.

The head coach of the senior team has basically nothing to do with signing youth players at that age. That is completely Ricken´s (head of academy) and Zorc´s (DoF) department.

EDIT: I agree with the general assessment, btw.
Yes, that's why I said "in the loop" - as in, being informed, maybe being present for discussions at some transfer strategy meetings etc, not necessarily anything more

whatagoodname

Supports
Liverpool

Liverpool won't get him.
Sadly agreed.

I think we'll definitely go in for him. I just can't see why he'd leave Dortmund.. He's progressing nicely there.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
Where I'm at atm has disgraceful internet and I can't stream anything, can someone give me an idea of what kind of player he is?
I saw him in about 3 or 4 games domestically last season for Dortmund, and their European games this season, but I didn't really get an idea of him but his record is very impressive.
He's a bit like mane but plays on the left wing or the left of a front three. Maybe not as fast but strong and skilful. Has a very good work ethic. He's a amazing player for his age. Think Hazard type of potential. He's that good.

We offered 11mil for him and I consider that almost as bad as arsenals £40,000,001 for Suarez back in the day.

Potentially, America's first truly world class player imo.