Christian Pulisic | Chelsea player

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What are you on about that literally happens all the time. Our own Gómes wasn't given chances after November when it became clear that he wasn't sorting his contract properly with us. It happens all through out the whole. It's not a confusing or foreign concept. Managers only want players who are committed to the team.
I mean that's just apples and oranges. Gomes is an academy kid who is yet to break through in senior football, he can't help you short term, you play him now, swallow his rookie mistakes, because you expect him to mature into a much better player. Naturally you have little incentive to make that investment if he's bound to leave in 6 months. Pulisic however had already established himself as a first team starter, he potentially offered plenty short term. This year Hakimi and Sancho played basically every available minute und the same coach, despite Hakimi's loan contract ending this summer and Sancho being linked with a move as well, as you can see in the screen shot Pulisic began his final season as a starter as well. Because for a coach the business is way too short term oriented to bench players, based on whether they may or may not leave next year.

mancan92

I mean that's just apples and oranges. Gomes is an academy kid who is yet to break through in senior football, he can't help you short term, you play him now, swallow his rookie mistakes, because you expect him to mature into a much better player. Naturally you have little incentive to make that investment if he's bound to leave in 6 months. Pulisic however had already established himself as a first team starter, he potentially offered plenty short term. This year Hakimi and Sancho played basically every available minute und the same coach, despite Hakimi's loan contract ending this summer and Sancho being linked with a move as well, as you can see in the screen shot Pulisic began his final season as a starter as well. Because for a coach the business is way too short term oriented to bench players, based on whether they may or may not leave next year.
Again it happens very often ozil isn't playing for arsenal. Why? Because of issues with his contract. There's loads of examples. Managers don't always play their best players they play the players they believe they can trust and often a player who is in the middle of a contract dispute can be a seen as a player they can't trust.

KennyBurner

I really don't understand posts like that. Why would a coach deliberately weaken his team, because a player's contract runs out in two years? Why would a club's management want to tank a player's value before they have to sell him? That's just not logical. There wasn't even any bad blood between Pulisic and the club, he was a good lad, the club gave him his break in Europe, he gave back some good performances/access to the US market and when he left the club got extremely well compensated.

I mean no offense, but come on:

vs

"contract issue"

Whoscored's index tells a similar story:

As I've said, he can't have been as exciting as any young player in Europe, because at least two players in his squad were clearly one level above him. Regardless of form or other factors. He started out as an incredibly mature and neat 17 year old, but more or less stagnated from there. He seems to have grown into a more commanding role at Chelsea, which is nice to see. But I wouldn't rewrite history because of it.
It’s always the case when it comes to praising players in form. He is doing well now but wasn’t this consistent earlier in the season.

I think he is behind Willian and Tammy for key players this season at Chelsea. Tammy might be a strange inclusion but his earlier form really helped Chelsea before they were eventually found out.

Willian however has been Chelsea best player this season. Without him they wouldn’t have the ability to transition as quickly when under pressure. I wouldn’t let him go so quickly but I’ve heard he doesn’t want to sign on. Would have been a good mentor to pulisic.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Been much better than I expected. Still hoping he regresses to the mean
Why do you say that? Why not just enjoy a young player doing well? Despite being a Chelsea Fan I must say it’s exciting watching someone like Greenwood with so much potential balling out already.

Suedesi

Why do you say that? Why not just enjoy a young player doing well? Despite being a Chelsea Fan I must say it’s exciting watching someone like Greenwood with so much potential balling out already.
Because I hate Chelsea, I can't stand his face nor the hype he gets on American media. Plus a young player doing well pales in comparison to laughing at a rival club.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Because I hate Chelsea, I can't stand his face nor the hype he gets on American media. Plus a young player doing well pales in comparison to laughing at a rival club.
Can I assume that despite your location you have no rooting interest in the US national team?

Is his sleeve tattoo annoying? Yep, but I will have to disagree with your comment on the "hype" he gets from American media. Does he get a lot of hype here in the US? Absolutely, and why shouldn't he? He is already in the top 5 American field players ever, he is the first field player to play for a top team in a top league (unless you count Dempsey at Spurs), and he is the best player on the national team all at the age of 21. For all these reasons he will be marketed towards an American audience. The better he plays, and the more players follow in his path (looking at you Reyna and Dest) the more the games profile will rise in the US, and that is a great thing.

Suedesi

No interest in the US national team. I've been to a few games through the years and I followed the team South Africa 2010, but I just have no emotional attachment to the team and couldn't care less how they do. Same goes for MLS, have been to over 30 games, and it always felt like a plastic experience.

Soccer in the US is doomed structurally and no Pulisic or Reyna or whoever is going to change that. So I find all the yelling on NBCSports when Pulisic is playing very idiotic.

He'sRaldo

Superb player isn't he? Was always a favourite of mine, but he's really stepped up in the PL.

Wish United got him, looks a United player to me.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Obnoxiously good.
Werner
Pulisic Havertz Ziyech
Kovacic Kante​

they are going to give a few teams an absolute pasting next season. Still a goalkeeper & 2 defenders away from challenging the top 2 though.

IrishRedDevil

Obnoxiously good.
Werner
Pulisic Havertz Ziyech
Kovacic Kante​

they are going to give a few teams an absolute pasting next season. Still a goalkeeper & 2 defenders away from challenging the top 2 though.
Dangerous attacking front 4, but that central midfield 2 could be improved. Kante is past his best and what does Kovacic actually do?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Better than Hazard.
He's certainly more of a goal threat than Hazard was for Chelsea - he shoots more than Hazard ever did.

Hazard was obviously a special talent and Pulisic doesn't create as much in terms of passing and his dribbling is less efficient, but for me their first seasons for the club are comparable (and Hazard was ~1.5 years older).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, Pulisic is far more direct — Hazard is one of the least selfish players I’ve seen, but his creativity is/was on another level to Pulisic.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

I'd argue that Klopp normally looks like that but whatever. Pulisic has been fantastic. Should've started even if he's only got one working leg.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

I'd argue that Klopp normally looks like that but whatever. Pulisic has been fantastic. Should've started even if he's only got one working leg.
Pulisic never played under Klopp, Tuchel gave him his first start at Dortmund.

Damien

Staff
Pulisic never played under Klopp, Tuchel gave him his first start at Dortmund.
I thought the timeline didn't quite add up as Klopp has been at Liverpool ages. Seems to be one of those things that get regurgitated and becomes fact.
Anyone know his goals assists stats this season ?
10 goals and 10 assists in just over 2200 minutes in all competitions.

Damien

Staff
In the league since the restart, he's picked up a goal or assist in every match bar the Sheffield United one (which Chelsea lost 3:0). 4 goals, 4 assists in 573 minutes.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hitting form at the wrong time