Christmas Tree Draft - Group Stages - Gio vs Enigma

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Himannv

Gio's Starting XI

vs

Enigma's Starting XI

Gio's Tactics

TEAM

Our defence comprises one half of a potential all-time France XI in Manuel Bossis and Laurent Blanc. Pietro Vierchowod bolsters the defence and is a perfectly complementary partner for Blanc and both have substantial experience taming many of the great attackers of the 1980s and 1990s. On the right is Leandro who is arguably the most under-rated of all Brazilian full-backs, and who just gets better every time I watch him for Flamengo and the Selecao. Both Leandro and Bossis are well versed playing as width-providing full-backs in narrow systems, given their role for Brazil and France respectively. Indeed both were often the solitary sources of genuine width (with in-cutting Junior on the other flank; often the converted CB Battiston for France on the other side) in their distinctive national sides.

Our midfield trio blends craft, defensive steel and attacking thrust. Deputising for the crocked Masopust (again fecking sicknote), Gerson retains his spot to form a natural partnership with Tito Goncalves that should work in the same way as his successful tandem with Clodoaldo. Both were the premium South American midfielders of the 1960s with Goncalves all-conquering at club level for Penarol and Gerson on fire for Brazil in 1970. Both will naturally sit behind the ball enabling Steven Gerrard to drive on to capitalise on his significant goal threat. As well as providing dig and quality, he will relish the Alonso/Mascherano-esque platform in Gerson/Goncalves to bomb forward.

Ahead are the two 10s in Zinedine Zidane and Rivaldo. They are a '90s wet dream but crucially contrast in styles - Zidane floating and dancing around midfielders, Rivaldo more vertical and direct and packing punch. Both are two of the greatest big-match performers of all, Zidane deciding various finals and tournaments, Rivaldo a game-raiser of the highest order.

They will feed Luigi Riva who should be a smooth Serie A styled partner for Zidane. Similarly, Rivaldo struck an effective partnership with Kluivert and Riva has the presence and technical ability to bring similar qualities to the table. In the top strikers in the pool, Riva is perhaps best suited to playing in this formation by working across the line, stretching play and holding it up. Often he had to all of that and more for Cagliari in the late 1960s.

KEY POINTS

- An aerially strong back line well suited to dealing with Vieri (if he starts). Good in the air across the defence, but exceptionally so in the middle with Blanc and Vierchowod. Pietro's pace is the stuff of legend which should help to cover Robben's runs while Blanc's reading of the game ensured he boasted an impressive record against quick attackers such as Romario. The experience of Bossis playing centrally also helps to shut out space against this narrower formation.

- Attack-minded, high quality full-backs in Leandro and Bossis to make the formation sing. When Christmas Trees clash, having class on the ball in wide areas outside of the clustered centre can be vital.

- A midfield and attack that can shift wide on and off the ball. Gerrard is custom designed for this set-up with a dual central and right-sided role. Rivaldo enjoyed peeling left and unleashing that famous left peg and also worked hard off the ball.

Enigma's Tactics

Tactics:
Greaves
leads the line in a classic counter attacking chrismas tree formation with a solid midfield unit consisting of Cerezo, Pirri and the new crown jewel - Redondo, whilst we also have a lot of pace to burn on the front foot.

Defence:
Two attacking full backs in Irwin and Jorginho, who support the attack and offer a lot going forward. Ferrara and Ruggeri is a solid base CB combo that is great in the air and also in Ferrara have a bit of soft touch and ability to play out from the back.

Midfield:
Redondo
takes the conductor role in the deep zone. A midfield general that is able to run an entire midfield of his own, he can launch attack from deep and one of the best players to pull this role to perfection. Cerezo takes the box to box role in this game, something familiar to him and him and Falcao created the base in 1982 of one of the most exciting national teams ever. He is known for his range of passing and ability to get the ball back as well his big frame helping him impose his stature in the middle of the park. He's aided by Pirri - who has the same never say die attitude that should help us control the proceedings in the middle of the park. The midfield is set up in a very direct style and the creativity it oozes will help supply the quick and creative frontline with through balls and opportunities to break the opposition Christmas tree.

Attack:
Laudrup
is the creative hub in the final third. He can go wide or cut in - something he's very suited for - stretching the opposition defence and splitting it with his vision and passing. Robben is the perfect guy for counter attacking football and finding space, or dribbling through the opponents. Greaves starts this one with his all round qualities - hold up play, ability to bring others into play, chase long balls and through balls and generally devastating finishing ability.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Redondo is exactly what was missing in your R1 game Enigma as I said in that thread. Now this looks excellent.

GodShaveTheQueen

Damn, I voted in haste, Gio got Vierchowod in reinforcements? That defense is a thing of beauty.

Please dont count my vote for now unless I confirm again in the thread

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Oh, that's a tough one. I really love Laudrup here, especially with Greaves & Robben :drool:

Enigma_87

You know who
Didn't have much time yesterday, I imagine it was the same with @Gio - good luck mate.

Enigma_87

You know who
On the game I don't really have much to add considering the team is the same as the first round but with couple of improvements - Redondo obviously the main one.

Our team is set up mainly to exploit counters and catch the opponent on the backfoot, whilst exploiting all the pockets of spaces with two extremely agile and fast forwards in Robben and Greaves moving between the lines, whilst the creative hub of Cerezo, Pirri and obviously Redondo and Laudrup will provide the ammo.

Redondo is exactly what was missing in your R1 game Enigma as I said in that thread. Now this looks excellent.
yeah obviously I rate Cerezo passing game a lot, but couldn't say no to getting Redondo for it and moving him in a B2B role which suits him very well.

The DLP role is of great importance of the system and generally I'd be hard pressed to find better alternative than Redondo, even if Pirlo was available(I simply rate Redondo as the better player).

Overall it's the set up I wanted to achieve from the off - two excellent B2B midfielders with abundance of stamina and grit, one majestic DLP in Redondo, one advanced playmaker in Laudrup and Robben/Greaves combo that can punish any defensive line on the break.

Defence is compact and I have two solid full backs that can also provide support in attack.

GodShaveTheQueen

Count my vote for Enigma for turning up. Very close to a draw but I am going with my initial instincts

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Glad to finally see the front three of Zidane, Rivaldo and Riva on the pitch. Pulls together quite a package of threats, between Zidane's ball control and pedigree in bossing that area of the park, Rivaldo's acceleration and finishing ability from all angles, along with Riva's presence, aerial ability and pace in behind.

Hold some confidence in the overall strength of the defence, but in particular the abiilty of the central two to keep things quiet. Vierchowod is clearly well respected and an extremely effective marker - 'best defender in the world' (Batistuta) 'absolutely brutal and lightning quick' (Lineker), 'along with Ferri the toughest defender I faced' (Van Basten) and 'an animal who had muscles on his eyelashes' (Maradona). Meanwhile, Laurent Blanc forges a highly complementary partnership as the covering defender. For example, his record against Romario - 4 games, 0 goals conceded - suggests he reads the game well against players of a similar ilk such as Greaves.

In midfield Nestor Goncalves is arguably the least well known of the six on the pitch, but is just the sort of defensive midfielder that gets the job done. He was the bedrock behind the Penarol side that won 9 league titles, 3 Copa Libertadores and 2 World Club Cup titles, defeating Eusebio's Benfica 5-0 in 1961 and Pirri's Real Madrid 4-0 on aggregate in 1966.