Christmas Tree Draft - Group Stages - Isotope vs GSTQ

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Himannv

Isotope's Starting XI

vs

GSTQ's Starting XI

Isotope's Tactics

The team welcome two world class Summer purchase in Paolo Maldini and Igor Netto, which will increase dominant play on the left side.

Stay true to the Tree Formation, players in midfield and attack are capable of drifting wide or stay inside/compact. Pace in attack is supported by energetic but skillful midfield. Instead of CM-wannabe-wingers, the midfield consist of true central midfielders who are capable of drifting wide. At the base is, as good as you can get defence on this Draft.

Proven Kopa and Fontaine axis is on attack. Kopa was one of the best dribbler and creative player, formed a telepathic partnership with Fontaine. Stoichkov on some sort of free role in attack to either driving from deep position, as striker, or going wide. He was one of the most complete players of his era: powerful, creative, and quick with the ball.

Supplying attack are midfielders who are all skilful, good passers, and tough, with excellent engine. All-time great centerback duo of Vasovic and Maldini, are both excellent defender and passers, who would ensure proper distribution to either midfield, or attack. The legendary Maldini is completed by the pace and intelligence of Vasovic. (Vasovic was one of the great leader in football. As soon as he could speak Dutch a bit, he captained the great Ajax side). The defense is completed by two of the most balanced fullbacks, in Briegel and Djalma Santos; with the greatest Brazialian Gk Gilmar between the post.

GSTQ's Tactics

Style of play - Attacking - dominate proceedings

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Good luck @Isotope , really a quality team there. Netto and Maldini are really great additions.

On the game, I think where I have the biggest and most obvious advantage is the wingback positions.

In the pool, these are the best two that were not blocked in their position.

Djalma for me is a no go in this setup. Granted you have Mendeita and Kopa to drift but for me it still takes away a significant avenue going ahead. Briegel is better of course but still not the most ideal player for the setup like Demyanenko and Kaltz are.

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Always have a hard time with those grandpa era players or how will I rate Djalma here. I mean, at the time they didn't go forward. But translate it into the modern era and did he had the technical ability to do that? Almost certainly.

Still, he was known for his defensive contribution and it is a bit strange seeing him in such formation. Meaning I would point out the same as GodShave.

The rest is brilliant from iso though. So, it will probably come down to personal preference as the match could go either way. I would take front 3 from iso and midfield from GodShave, that would be just perfect.

Will think a bit more...

Himannv

I somewhat prefer Isotope's front 3 to GSTQs, mostly because there's one ball dominant player in Kopa, while I'm not quite sure who plays the role for GSTQ. Del Piero perhaps?

I like the look of Beckham, Nedved and Zito - that looks like a nice creative midfield on the ball. I like the balance in Isotope's midfield as well though and they seem like the team that might play on the counter and be a bit more combative.

The point about the fullbacks is a good one though and I think a more suitable RB would have been a good reinforcement. Can Djalma play a more attacking style when called upon to do so? I think so, but I'll let others who have seen more of him voice their opinions.

GodShaveTheQueen

there's one ball dominant player in Kopa, while I'm not quite sure who plays the role for GSTQ. Del Piero perhaps?
Socrates obviously will have everything go through him and might I add I dont prefer having an overly ball dominant figure anywhere in that team simply because there are so many players who could do magic with the ball. Socrates, Nedved, Beckham, Del Piero. Heck even Zito was pretty good on the ball.

GodShaveTheQueen

The point about the fullbacks is a good one though and I think a more suitable RB would have been a good reinforcement
Call me crazy but in this setup, Kaltz is as good a reinforcement as Maldini. Completely elevates that right hand side with Becks.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Always have a hard time with those grandpa era players or how will I rate Djalma here. I mean, at the time they didn't go forward. But translate it into the modern era and did he had the technical ability to do that? Almost certainly.

Still, he was known for his defensive contribution and it is a bit strange seeing him in such formation. Meaning I would point out the same as GodShave.

The rest is brilliant from iso though. So, it will probably come down to personal preference as the match could go either way. I would take front 3 from iso and midfield from GodShave, that would be just perfect.

Will think a bit more...
Thanks for the thought, Jim. On Djalma, I just quoted these findings from my previous game.

Djalma Santos
With 100 caps to his name, Djalma was included in FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1954, 1958, 1962; a feat that only emulated by the great Kaiser. Playing over 1000 games in a span of 20 years as footballer. Also people has him on the league of Cafu and C. Roberto, I don't think it's just because of his defensive attribute. He's a Brazilian fullback. He's like the Maldini of Brazil, a balanced FB.

SOme review of his style of play:

Defensively a wall, Djalma was known for his ability to mark and tackle well, physically dominating and also an aerial threat for the opponents. He would also often go up the right flank to produce pinpoint crosses and was the pioneer of the developed role of the right-backs today. He was the first right-back to venture up forward with overlapping runs. Djalma was gifted with excellent dribbling skills and ball control. It was impossible to take the ball off his feet. It was also quite problematic for his opponents as he was quite quick and also provided support to the midfield with his amazing creativity and had passing skills unmatched by any other defender till now. Also, Djalma was an excellent set-piece taker and could take long throw-ins. https://www.sports-nova.com/2019/10...r-who-revolutionized-the-right-back-position/

But Santos could be a thrilling attacker, too, capable of rampaging down his touchline on swashbuckling overlaps and joining in with flowing team moves, occasionally displaying flair with the ball worthy of the most artistic midfield general. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...tballer-who-won-world-cup-brazil-8782678.html

Impressive defender Djalma Santos appeared at four separate World Cup finals, winning the competition twice. Indeed, the stopper tasted glory in 1958 and also four years later. Like many Brazilians, Djalma Santos like to bomb forward with devastating effect. https://www.skysports.com/football/news/18621/6120873/brazils-greatest-defenders

Considered to be one of the best right-sides in football history, he has been the fan idol in every club he has played for. Gifted with great technique and a powerful physique, it was meaningfully defined a muralha by the Uruguayan writer Edoardo Galeano. He was one of the first full backs to play his role not only in a defensive key. He loved refined play and made dangerous dribbles even inside the area. https://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/djalma-santos_(Enciclopedia-dello-Sport)/

EDIT:

Adding some other stories about Djalma Santos' style:

1958 World Cup: Garrincha’s club-mate, mentor, and fellow Botafogo legend Nílton Santos operated on the left of defence, whilst Djalma Santos (no relation) did a similar job on the right. Both fullbacks looked to support their wingers in attack, but maintained a narrow position at times when in possession, allowing them to sweep up on either side of defensive midfielder Zito. The side didn’t concede a goal in the tournament until the semi-final against France. http://thebotafogostar.com/2014/03/23/brazil-1958-world-cup-tactics/

Book: Who Invented the Stepover?: and other crucial football conundrums

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Call me crazy but in this setup, Kaltz is as good a reinforcement as Maldini. Completely elevates that right hand side with Becks.
Becks isn't a midfielder. He wanted to play as midfielder, but what made him world class is him as a winger.

Maybe there's something that I missed here? If i remember correctly, he failed at Madrid when playing as CM. Also Capello only allowed him to be back on the team as RW.

He was really ordinary when played as CM, in United CL Final against Bayern. His contribution was from corner kick.

I'd guess that Becks primary job would be drifting wide as RW, with Socrates controlling in CM. So the formation is actually more of 4-4-2 instead of Christmas Tree?

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

Becks isn't a midfielder. He wanted to play as midfielder, but what made him world class is him as a winger.
I wouldn't call Beckham a winger in the pure sense of the role. He was a wide midfielder who while being great out wide and putting the greatest crosses in, also had amazing passing range and accuracy, some would say very near to Scholes' level.

So using him in a hybrid role where he if to offer services both centrally and out wide is perhaps great use of him. At least in my eyes.

I was surprised Nedved could go down to you
I was as well and as soon as I picked him, Beckham was auto decided.

GodShaveTheQueen

I'd guess that Becks primary job would be drifting wide as RW, with Socrates controlling in CM. So the formation is actually more of 4-4-2 instead of Christmas Tree?
Oh with so many versatile players there, you can call it a Christmas tree or a 4-4-2 or even a diamond. It will be all of those in transitions.

Would any of the below two not be representations of the team in some phases of the game? They certainly will be.

-------Del Piero------RvN---------
----------------Socrates-------------
----Nedved--------Beckham----
----------------Zito--------------------

----------Del Piero-----RvN-----------------
Nedved--Zito--Socrates---Beckham

All 3 of them look super functional without any flaws in my eyes which is what would make the team brilliant in transition.

You are essentially helping me sell my team to be honest :D

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Does anyone have any other info on Becks playing CM at Madrid? That asked, Becks isn't playing CM here really.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
from memory didnt Capello took him back into the team and he pretty much changed their season from a DM position?
He was an okay midfielder id say, nowhere near the winger level and this hybrid role is nice but again he wont be anywhere near as effective as on the wing IMO

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Is having both Kaltz and Becks a bit redundant?
Why would having two excellent crossers be a bad thing? It makes it doubly difficult for Iso to stop quality balls into Ruud. It is not like having two playmakers. Neither Becks nor Kaltz are ball hogs

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
First of all a remark on GSTQ/Demyanenko - I made a real mess of that in the last round. So to be clear: him and Kaltz are a brilliant WB duo, all the more so for this draft.

I also think that Kaltz & Beckham fit together well, as I remember Becks being happy playing flexible & operating from the half-spaces as well, just as this system demands. Finally, RVN is a very good fit for the WB/CM duos on both sides.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
With that out of the way, my 2¢ about Djalma.

I've been trying to find answers after the same discussion last round, and I'm in the process of cutting an all-touch compilation of him from 1962. But it will take time, as I'm busy & doing Pele's scenes as well.

Provisional result is that I'm with @Jim Beam as of now. Meaning: Djalma did play a conservative role - a defense-first FB with good buildup play -, but I also think his set of abilities would likely allow him to play a more attacking ("balanced") role on a high level in a different tactical setting. So, if that impression deepens, everybody simply has to decide for themselves what that means for this draft.

Another relevant takeaway from that WC game is that Zito was great, and could play a constructive role on the ball in addition to his defensive game. (But the most interesting topic would actually be Didi.)

---------------------

Overall, both teams are among my favourites in this draft. There's probably an advantage here or there, but I guess I can only call it a draw.

Oh, and I really dig Maldini at CB.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Don’t like Beckham and Nedved in a three man midfield - feels too lightweight IMO. Can afford one of them in there but the other two need to be more midfielders at their core rather than wide players.

GodShaveTheQueen

Don’t like Beckham and Nedved in a three man midfield - feels too lightweight IMO. Can afford one of them in there but the other two need to be more midfielders at their core rather than wide players.
Fair enough mate. Did expect at least a few people to have this opinion.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I absolutely adore that combo. Then again I also think that Grealish is worth 200 million so there is that.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I absolutely adore that combo. Then again I also think that Grealish is worth 200 million so there is that.
In a 4 man midfield it would be majestic but it would need 2 box to box or one holding and one proper CM to bring out the best in those guys IMO.

Zito would have too much heavy lifting IMO and Nedved and Beckham who are diligent defensively would be fighting fires more than being able to focus on attacking - which isn’t impossible but it isn’t the optimal fit for them tactically IMO.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Honestly for me Becks best position is as RCM. He regularly drifts inside along the right flank and often taken a more central position when we didn't have the ball. Plus so many crosses from RCM position in his matches.

I came to vote for GSTQ (too late), but looks like it wouldn't have mattered!

GodShaveTheQueen

Congratulations on the win @Isotope

I am not the humblest of drafters, but this time I can admit I deserved to be second best. It's a shame we had such less voting as you deserved a bigger win.

Good luck going ahead.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

I am not the humblest of drafters, but this time I can admit I deserved to be second best. It's a shame we had such less voting as you deserved a bigger win.

Good luck going ahead.
You're just being so modest, bro. I'm just a lucky SOB with that last sheep round. Take out Maldini, I would just waive a white flag.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

Good luck going ahead.
Who would you have picked if you had first pick in both sheep rounds?