Christmas Tree Draft - R1 - Enigma vs Michael

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Himannv

Enigma's Starting XI

vs

Michael's Starting XI

Enigma's Tactics

Tactics:

Vieri leads the line in a classic counter attacking chrismas tree formation with a solid midfield unit consisting of Cerezo, Pirri and Bremner and a lot of pace to burn on the front foot.

Defence:
Two attacking full backs in Irwin and Jorginho, who support the attack and offer a lot going forward. Ferrara and Ruggeri is a solid base CB combo that is great in the air and also in Ferrara have a bit of soft touch and ability to play out from the back.

Midfield:
WIth Cerezo we have the ability to launch attack from deep and he's in his natural DM/DLP hybrid role that he can pull to perfection. Cerezo is known for his long range passing and ability to get the ball back as well his big frame helping him impose his stature in the middle of the park. He's flanked and aided by Pirri and Bremner - in two classic B2B roles that should solidify our dominance in the middle of the park. Bremner has started as a right winger so he's very suited to a RCM box to box role, whilst Pirri versatility and ability to go forward makes him a good fit on the left.

Attack:
Laudrup
is the creative hub in the final third. He can go wide or cut in - something he's very suited for - stretching the opposition defence and splitting it with his vision and passing. Robben is the perfect guy for counter attacking football and finding space, or dribbling through the opponents. Vieri has imposing stature that would help us win aerial challenges, hold up and bring others into play.

Michael's Tactics

This team will be similar to a couple of Ancelotti's Milan christmas trees in that Bonhof and Tardelli will be similar to Gattuso and Ambrosini while Bochini and Francescoli will be similar to the Rui Costa and Kaka AM duo. The setup is also similar to the 4-1-2-1-2 (with the midfielders having similar roles) that Bochini had great success with at Independiente. Taking advantage of the great passing of Bochini is Jupp Heynckes whho in a 3 season spell from 72-73 to 74-75 had season goalsocring numbers of 48 goals in 53 games, 40 goals in 43 games and 42 goals in 43 games finsihing as the Bundesliga top scorer in the later two of those seasons (despite Gerd Muller playing for Bayern at this time).

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Enigma_87 Can you eloborate on Robben's role? With both teams packing the middle, space for Robben's direct running style would be minimal...unless you expect him to run wide, which would make him a winger more than a AM for Tree. Isn't a AM capable of operating in tight spaces be more useful than a direct runner in here?

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Good teams.

Not a fan of a few things

Enigma - Don't like the midfield 3. I'd prefer a more genuine playmaker somewhere in the mix there. I see Cerezo but the formation has room for so much more. Almost seems a 4231 midfield version of the christmas tree formation (Not trying to pull your leg)

Mike - Maybe Shesternyov-Carvalho can be too similar. Perhaps not ideal. I know Shesternyov-Khurtsilava also was slightly like this, like to hear from @harms on the CB partnership here.

Inspired drafting to pick Tardelli as pick 1. In true Michael style.

Will vote later.

Enigma_87

You know who
@Enigma_87 Can you eloborate on Robben's role? With both teams packing the middle, space for Robben's direct running style would be minimal...unless you expect him to run wide, which would make him a winger more than a AM for Tree. Isn't a AM capable of operating in tight spaces be more useful than a direct runner in here?
I've picked both Figo and Robben for the same role, but depending on the opponent to a different execution.

Robben is in his SS role comparable to the one he lit up the WC in 2014.

Christmas tree is a defensive and counter attacking formation, so I need more pace up front on the counter, Robben ticks that box and is a SS that goes wide.

If we are to compare the role he's expected to do what Kaka did under Ancelotti - has the freedom to roam and look for openings, whilst Laudrup, who also has freedom to roam is more of a playmaker and using his creative nature on the ball, rather without it.

I disagree that there is no space for his direct running style and it was exactly what Kaka and Milan did to us in 2007. Kaka in that game also spent a lot of time going wide and creating width, whilst Seedorf was more of the conductor in the final third - generally what I'm opting for here with Laudrup / Robben combo.

Having pace on the counter is generally a very important part of the formation/ tactics (at least for me), so someone like Robben chasing direct balls and running into space is required to create openings in the packed midfield/defence of the opposition.

To me there is a lot of similarities in his WC role and Kaka's role and effect, hence I picked him early:

Enigma_87

You know who
Good teams.

Not a fan of a few things

Enigma - Don't like the midfield 3. I'd prefer a more genuine playmaker somewhere in the mix there. I see Cerezo but the formation has room for so much more. Almost seems a 4231 midfield version of the christmas tree formation (Not trying to pull your leg)

Mike - Maybe Shesternyov-Carvalho can be too similar. Perhaps not ideal. I know Shesternyov-Khurtsilava also was slightly like this, like to hear from @harms on the CB partnership here.

Inspired drafting to pick Tardelli as pick 1. In true Michael style.

Will vote later.
I think you are really underrating Cerezo here.

Yes he's no Pirlo, but his passing range was really great and he's a shoe in for this role.

as for the midfield unit and general formation. I guess that 4-2-3-1 has turned out to be a beat up old joke in terms of my recent formations, but can't disagree more.

This is Ancelotti's Christmas tree. As I said even if Cerezo is no Pirlo, he was a very adept DLP and a DLP/DM and 2 box to box midfielders is first time I hear even remotely similar to 4-2-3-1 where you have a designated #10...

Even if you don't consider Cerezo creative enough, Pirri and Bremner are much more adept on the ball compared to Gattuso and Ambrosini, whilst Laudrup is one of the greatest playmakers in the game. I don't believe we lack any bit of creativity in the middle or in the final third.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@Enigma_87 I was going to go on a rant about Robben in your lineup but the explanation about him being the World Cup version makes sense.

Two nice looking sides, love Michaels midfield - a thing of beauty and the two AM choices.

Quality wise think I prefer Enigma - tough call.

Enigma_87

You know who
@Enigma_87 I was going to go on a rant about Robben in your lineup but the explanation about him being the World Cup version makes sense.

Two nice looking sides, love Michaels midfield - a thing of beauty and the two AM choices.

Quality wise think I prefer Enigma - tough call.
Naturally I'd have preferred Kaka in there with Laudrup, but he was blocked.. :)

Before I made the pick I watched some highlights of his WC form and he came through the middle a lot and was fantastic. He drifted sometimes but the number of runs he made through the middle chasing through balls was really something.

I get the concerns that some might view him as a pure winger, but we shouldn't always judge players by their whole career and the role they played the most. To me Robben would shine in this (not pure winger role) and he has proven it on the highest level as well that it can work.

Besides in this Christmas tree formation you need at least one of your AM's to drift wide and sometimes open up things, because the side midfielders (B2B ones) are mainly occupied with defensive functions and protecting the back four, especially if one of the full backs goes in attack.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I think this pigeonholes Robben too much. He was a creative forward, and very good at quick combinations in tight spaces. His interplay with Lahm, Müller, etc. was great. He also had plenty of assists during his Bayern days and throughout his career (even when subtracting set pieces).

If you look at his assist & goal in the 2013 CL final, both came from positions ideal-typical to the role he plays here:

But I also think this formation, like any formation, shouldn't be taken too literally. There will be transitions and counters with space and improvised positioning, and no one keeps the forwards from drifting wide either. I agree with @Enigma_87 that there'll be enough opportunity for the running-at-defenses part of Robben's game as well.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Difficult to call, very little between both teams, imo.

I prefer Enigma's front three and Michael's midfield. But the counterparts on the other side are still very good.

What may give Enigma's team the edge is that I prefer Vieri to Heynckes as a CF in this formation. Still time left to think.

Himannv

Tough game. Enigma's team is set up nicely to counter and Michael's team is set up nicely to have more of the ball and break him down. I did have my doubts about Robben in this setup but the post on his 2014 WC makes me think he'd be fine.

Enigma_87

You know who
Difficult to call, very little between both teams, imo.

I prefer Enigma's front three and Michael's midfield. But the counterparts on the other side are still very good.

What may give Enigma's team the edge is that I prefer Vieri to Heynckes as a CF in this formation. Still time left to think.
Aye, Heynckes is probably the only issue I have with Michaels team. In a Christmas tree the CF position is quite difficult to pull, considering he has to chase long balls, be good in the air, be physical presence and occupy the opposition CB’s. considering all that I prefer a typical CF, rather than all round forward in Heynckes.

His midfield looks mint and probably one of the best in the draft so far. As for defence I’m not sure only of Greig as LB. The left back should be an attacking one and to provide width in attack so probably I’d go with a more adventurous one.