Christmas Tree Draft - R1 - Gio vs EAP

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Himannv

Gio's Starting XI

vs

EAP's Starting XI

Gio's Tactics

TEAM

Our defence comprises one half of a potential all-time France XI in Manuel Bossis and Laurent Blanc. Sol Campbell is a natural Desailly-esque partner for Blanc and both have substantial experience taming many of the great attackers of the 1990s and early 2000s. On the right is Leandro who is arguably the most under-rated of all Brazilian full-backs, and who just gets better every time I watch him for Flamengo and the Selecao. Both Leandro and Bossis are well versed playing as width-providing full-backs in narrow systems, given their role for Brazil and France respectively. Indeed both were often the solitary sources of genuine width (with in-cutting Junior on the other flank; often the converted CB Battiston for France on the other side) in their distinctive national sides.

Our midfield trio blends craft, defensive steel and attacking thrust. Deputising for the injured Masopust, Gerson comes in to form a natural partnership with Tito Goncalves that should work in a similar way to his successful tandem with Clodoaldo. Both were the premium South American midfielders of the 1960s with Goncalves all-conquering at club level for Penarol and Gerson on fire for Brazil in 1970. Meanwhile, Steven Gerrard provides dig and quality and will relish the Alonso/Mascherano-esque platform in Gerson/Goncalves to bomb forward.

Ahead are the two 10s in Zinedine Zidane and Florian Albert. Both beautifully elegant but crucially contrasting in styles - Zidane floating and dancing around midfielders, Albert more vertical and direct. Both put Brazil to the sword in swashbuckling fashion in World Cups with three of the most famous individual performances the tournament has seen.

They will feed Luigi Riva who should be a smooth Serie A styled partner for Zidane, whilst providing enough presence to play in and off Albert. In the top strikers in the pool, Riva is perhaps best suited to playing in this formation by working across the line, stretching play and holding it up. Often he had to all of that and more for Cagliari in the late 1960s.

KEY POINTS

- An aerially strong back line well suited to dealing with Kocsis. Good in the air across the defence, but exceptionally so in the middle with Blanc and Campbell.

- Attack-minded, high quality full-backs in Leandro and Bossis to make the formation sing. When Christmas Trees clash, having class on the ball in wide areas outside of the clustered centre can be vital.

- A midfield and attack that can shift wide on and off the ball. Gerrard is custom designed for this set-up with a dual central and right-sided role. All of Zidane, Riva and Gerson were also natural peeling to the left [examples to follow].

EAP's Tactics

Key Roles:

Sandor Kocsis
- Goals:Game ratio at +1.10! Support on ground from Rivaldo, Savicevic, Junior & Sousa. Receive regular crosses from Kaltz/Benarrivo to utilize his stellar heading ability.

Rivaldo - #9.5 Will be more attacking of the duo. Having Junior pushing up behind him will support this.
Dejan Savicevic - Advanced playmaker.

Leovegildo Junior - Box to Box playmaker. Will push up to support Rivaldo's attacking role.
Gennaro Gattuso - Defensive ball winner.
Paulo Sousa - DLP. Game runner.

Antonio Benarrivo/Manfred Kaltz - "One man flank" attacking full backs. Excellent crossers (esp Kaltz) to utilize Kocsis heading abilities.
Fernando Hierro/Pietro Vierchowod - Classic Stopper/Sweeper.
Petr Cech - Top notch keeper.

Tactics:
Slightly lopsided Tree with Rivaldo doing a 9.5 and Savicevic taking on more playmaking duties. Having Junior's playmaking skills up the pitch will enhance Rivaldo's contribution in attacking third. Gattuso will do the dirty work supporting Savicevic. Sousa will run the game with ample support from defensively astute Junior and Gattuso flanking him.

Both side midfielders and both AMs are flexible through the middle and drifting out wide. Gives a lot of tactical flexibility in opening spaces offensively and making them hard to defend against.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Oh, I didn't expect Gio's team to be matched by his opponent when I was scrolling down past it. I guess Edgar really does know his Christmas trees :D

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
My take on the game - Right away both teams look solid and well built.

What I think can be improved on -

Gio - I am not a fan of Masopust/Gerson behind Zidane. If Masopust or Gerson (proper playmaker who runs in the same space and not a DLP) starts, the inside forward should be more of a second striker rather than a proper No.10 or else it becomes not optimal for me.

EAP - Would like to see more quality playmaking from that midfield. There is Junior and probably bits from Sousa but that probably wouldn't be too convincing for the later rounds.

Both the defenses are really excellent. Will vote later.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Quick post on my two behind Riva:

Who burned Brazil better?

In 8 World Cups (from 1958 to 1970 and from 1994 to 2006) Brazil lost just 5 games. Albert and Zidane were the architect behind 3 of those defeats. Indeed Zidane's France were the only team to inflict a knockout stage defeat on Brazil between the World Cups of 1990 and 2010. But whose performance was the best?

Albert v Brazil, 1966 World Cup

Zidane v Brazil, 1998 World Cup Final

Zidane v Brazil, 2006 World Cup Quarter Final

GodShaveTheQueen

Oh by the way, Goncalves was an excellent steal that late. Dunno how he went under the radar.

harms

Staff
EAP - Would like to see more quality playmaking from that midfield. There is Junior and probably bits from Sousa but that probably wouldn't be too convincing for the later rounds.
How much playmaking do you really need? Even if we don't count Rivaldo and Savicevic in Junior, Sousa, Hierro and Kaltz he has (at least above average) playmakers from deeper zones.

GodShaveTheQueen

How much playmaking do you really need?
That is a good question. I'd prefer more from the midfield rather than defense in such a central formation.

But Hierro and Kaltz are indeed excellent on the ball and that compensates a bit, so you are right there..

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
My take on the game - Right away both teams look solid and well built.

What I think can be improved on -

Gio - I am not a fan of Masopust/Gerson behind Zidane. If Masopust or Gerson (proper playmaker who runs in the same space and not a DLP) starts, the inside forward should be more of a second striker rather than a proper No.10 or else it becomes not optimal for me.

Both the defenses are really excellent. Will vote later.
Cheers.

I'd say there are different ways to skin the Christmas cat. You can have the aggressive ball-winner good in wide areas like Davids or Di Livio. Or you can have the all-rounder like Masopust or Netto who can do a bit of everything and were really comfortable helping out wide. But I wouldn't be prescriptive about the type of wide midfielder and the type of 10 ahead of them - as both combinations have been proven to work.

So for example, Ancelotti's Milan had Seedorf behind Rui Costa on the same side of the tree. That is two more playmaking types on the same side of the midfield. And on the other side it was the DM and the second striker. And of course that worked tremendously well and became the prototype for this shape.

What I'd say in my defence is that if we look at the set up in which Gerson was most successful, it was this for Brazil in 1970:

---Rivelino --- Pele ---- Sjor's favourite
------- Gerson -- Clodoaldo

Ahead of him in the inside-left channel he has a playmaker who liked to dwell on the ball in Rivelino. And through the middle he had more of, as you say, a 9.5 in Pele.

So the theory here is that Gerson and Clodoaldo is similar to Gerson and Goncalves. So that's a fairly rock solid midfield partnership. And then Gerson behind Rivelino is similar to Gerson behind Zidane (but smoother in my view because Zidane is better at give-and-go football). And then the relationship between Gerson and Pele is similar to that of Gerson and Albert in their respective 9.5 roles, playing a more vertical style of football.

In practice, it'll be slightly lopsided as positionally Gerson will operate slightly deeper than Gerrard on the other side, so I don't see any real clashing with Zidane who'll enjoy more space as a result, in the same way Gerson never clashed with Rivelino or Pele in 1970, and in fact enabled them and that team to really click from the midfield up.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That is a good question. I'd prefer more from the midfield rather than defense in such a central formation.

But Hierro and Kaltz are indeed excellent on the ball and that compensates a bit, so you are right there..
The way I imagine a 4-3-2-1 is for the midfield trio to be in a supporting role for the advanced playmakers. Sousa and Junior have enough skills to deliver from the deep...and they always have wide support on both flanks.

Kaltz's banana crosses coupled with Kocsis's stellar heading ability is a clear opportunity all on it's own!

Junior was so influential from LB in the Flamengo matches I watched. The amount of time the guy spent on the ball from a (nominal) full back position seemed mental. I meant to actually go all-out anorak and tally it up myself, but it seemed like he had more touches than anyone else on the pitch, and was taking on a proper playmaker mantle too. It definitely deepened my agreement with the old consensus on here that he was more midfield playmaker rather than width provider, but moreso just made me rate him higher, and I was a fan anyway.
Junior won Serie A Player of the Year from a playmaking DM position.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Nothing much to comment on Gio's team as usual, but I do feel my players are a bit more complementary to each other and to the formation.

Junior's up and down CM'esque playmaking will get more out of the team than Gerson's long passing style.

I also do see a bit of overlap between Gerrard and Albert. Gerrard's influence would be felt more in the attacking third where we already have Albert. Functionally, they are top class players, so can make it work...but it's still a bit of a reach for me.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Kaltz excellent on the ball:lol: id say its closer to the complete opposite, solid player on the ball with a great cross. Telles would be apt comparison in terms of his skillset

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I also do see a bit of overlap between Gerrard and Albert. Gerrard's influence would be felt more in the attacking third where we already have Albert. Functionally, they are top class players, so can make it work...but it's still a bit of a reach for me.
To be fair given how selfless Albert is and how natural a link man he is, I think they would partner well together. Gerrard quite often enjoyed bouncing passes off forwards who could give the ball back to him.

It's probably worth highlighting that he is not just about attacking runs, he can also provide a serious attacking threat even from a deeper or wider position. For example, these are a few moments creating danger mostly from that side in 2005/06:

Or this type of ball from Euro 2012:

GodShaveTheQueen

Thanks for taking the time out to put your detailed view @Gio on the Zidane/Gerson chemistry.

I eventually did vote for you, but am not fully sold on that side. Not a huge issue anyways.

Masopust would definitely be better there of course as he will naturally try to drift wide when Zidane is central and vice versa which should be much easier to imagine than Gerson/Zidane

GodShaveTheQueen

Kaltz excellent on the ball:lol: id say its closer to the complete opposite, solid player on the ball with a great cross. Telles would be apt comparison in terms of his skillset
He did play Libero for Germany for a couple of years if I am not wrong. Immediately after Beckenbauer retired.

Šjor Bepo

He did play Libero for Germany for a couple of years if I am not wrong. Immediately after Beckenbauer retired.
No idea tbh, commenting only based on his performances from the fullback position where he looked quite average in terms of decision making and ability under pressure.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
No idea tbh, commenting only based on his performances from the fullback position where he looked quite average in terms of decision making and ability under pressure.
He has been consistently rated as a good balanced CB with excellant crossing ability. I can quote harms earlier post about Kaltz here.

But anyways, this is not a game where fullbacks would be under sustained pressure, given lack of true wide players. What matters is their contribution to attack and Kaltz banana crosses is something that should not be overlooked. Kocsis is the best header on the pitch and it will be a deadly combination.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/coronavirus-draft-r1-isotope-vs-dvg7.454062/post-25450451

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That is true about full-backs which is why Leandro with his extreme technical ability and quality going forward will be fundamental to this game.

Pure sex. The guy's basically a 10 playing at full-back.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Leo Junior started his career as an attacking RB, then switched to LB and finally moved to DM to extend his career. A playmaker in all locations. Pace, workrate, physicality he had it all along with a genius for passing and creating opportunities. regularly pops up inside and out wide making him a versatile playmaker...and not just that, a top notch defensive presence too.

He can pass when needed, protect and cycle the ball as situation demands plus a constant B2B engine all game.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I think I have an advantage in player quality too.

Better forward. have to reemphasize Kocsis arial game superiority and multiple players capable of getting the ball to his head!
Better defence (except Bossis). I believe Benarrivo's style is more attacking than Bossis, which definitely help my team better.

Midfield is kinda equal with both of us having players suiting respective style.

harms

Staff
I think you just haven't seen enough of him — or maybe simply not the best games? He was excellent — and not only in the crossing department, he was very all-rounded as an attacking/playmaking threat, often cutting inside and participating in the build-up.

Not as good as, say, Junior, but very good nonetheless.

He did.

Šjor Bepo

I think you just haven't seen enough of him — or maybe simply not the best games? He was excellent — and not only in the crossing department, he was very all-rounded as an attacking/playmaking threat, often cutting inside and participating in the build-up.

Not as good as, say, Junior, but very good nonetheless.
Watched a fair bit of him, should be easily over 10 games.
He was a fine player but excellent on the ball? Not even close for me but then again it just depends what you mean with excellent, who else is in that category and how many other categories are there.

You mentioned Junior, id mention Briegel who played in the same team with Kaltz so its pretty easy to compare. Looking at this names we are not really touching the elite arent we?
To categorize it myself, id say Junior/McGrain/Briegel were good on the ball, elite ones are excellent while Kaltz would be a bit average or solid if you prefer it like that.

harms

Staff
To categorize it myself, id say Junior/McGrain/Briegel were good on the ball, elite ones are excellent while Kaltz would be a bit average or solid if you prefer it like that.
I'd certainly put Junior as excellent, Kaltz slightly below him, perhaps (but on another level than McGrain, Briegel etc.).

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Congrats @Gio All the best.

Always a tough game when you have nothing to criticize about your opponents team!
Same. Getting drawn against you in a Christmas Tree draft is the equivalent of a tough away tie in Eastern Europe in the darkest depths of winter.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeh. Never thought Kaltz as creative passer.

I couldn't separate the two, because Gio's has a nice balance to the team, I can see his controlling the game. EAP's has strong points on defence and more flexibility in attack, that could give a sucker punch by soaking up the pressure.