Christmas Tree Draft - R1 - Isotope vs Zlatan

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Himannv

Isotope's Starting XI

vs

Zlatan's Team After Substitution

Zlatan's Starting XI

Isotope's Tactics

True to the Tree Formation, players in midfield and attack are capable of drifting wide or stay inside/compact. The team is expected to dominate possession where the players are all good passers from defence to attack.

Proven Kopa and Fontaine axis is on attack. Kopa was one of the best dribbler and creative player, formed a telepathic partnership with Fontaine. Stoichkov on some sort of free role in attack to either driving from deep position, as striker, or going wide. He was one of the most complete players of his era: powerful, creative, and quick with the ball.

Supplying attack are midfielders who are all good passers, and tough with excellent engine. Centerback duo of Vasovic and Tresor, are both excellent defender and passers also, who would ensure proper distribution to either midfield, or attack. The great Stielike is also capable of dropping deep as CB when needed. Other key player is Djalma Santos, one of the best ‘balanced’ rightback of all time, who can be expected to dominate that right flank.

Zlatan's Tactics

Upside down Christmas tree is pretty apt for this Christmas, players have had a drink and we’ll see how it goes.

Gentile and montero are the defensive rocks, both comfortable as centreback or playing wider in a full back role if required.

Alaba and azp intelligent attacking fullbacks can provide width but also able to drop back and cover. With a defensive shield of Dunga who can break up play and or drop back into central defence.

Width will be kept by wingers )obviously allowed to cut in) and hopefully pin the fullbacks of the opposition back seriously limiting their attacking options. Speed and delivery on one side, flair and trickery on the other.
Both being fed buy arguably the best passers the Prem league has ever seen in scholes and de bruyne, both willing to get stuck in, energetic and able to make late runs into the box.

Shearer up top, will score from any kind of delivery and this team is not short of players who can provide an assist.

And I’ve got a goalkeeper.

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
@Isotope @Zlatan 7 good luck!

@Zlatan 7 let me know if you want your second half tactics mentioned in the writeup as well. Subs are an option for you to bring on, so I couldn't decide whether to add that at the start or not.
Ah ok, I wasn’t sure what I had to do with it, atleast it’s there as an emergency back up :lol:
Thanks for setting it up.

all the best @Isotope

Himannv

@Zlatan 7 are Alaba and Azpi playing as midfielders? - because they'd have to in this formation. That role isn't like a standard FB obviously and they wouldn't be like a back 4. Alaba is, of course, a good fit, but Azpi seems shoehorned in there to me.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
@Zlatan 7 are Alaba and Azpi playing as midfielders? - because they'd have to in this formation. That role isn't like a standard FB obviously and they wouldn't be like a back 4. Alaba is, of course, a good fit, but Azpi seems shoehorned in there to me.
Yes they are midfielders. But they are still there to cover width and attacks. Alaba is perfect I agree, I did want Kim much for the other side left it too late. I think Azp is more than capable and has the positional awareness to play that role

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
That is a 4-3-3 and not a Christmas tree, I am afraid.

Not a fan of the usage of Dinho and Overmars there. You'd need players like Blokhin and Conti.

Weird that neither of the two teams went for Figo if they had this formation in mind right from the onset.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That is a 4-3-3 and not a Christmas tree, I am afraid.

Not a fan of the usage of Dinho and Overmars there. You'd need players like Blokhin and Conti.

Weird that neither of the two teams went for Figo if they had this formation in mind right from the onset.
I begrudgingly agree with you.
It wasn’t an option from the start and tbh I winged most of the draft and just had a look at what I ended up with

I’ll add though that other than dinho and Azp, players are well suited to their roles and I’m quite happy with the balance of the team

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
@Edgar Allan Pillow whers your comment gone or did Imagine it? I did check the tree with staff, it looked like a triangle and it had baubles on :)

sorry just seen your post in main draft thread. It’s a 2341, not 235 :)

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

I’ll add though that other than dinho and Azp, players are well suited to their roles and I’m quite happy with the balance of the team
I agree and I even like Azpil there.

When he was playing RCB under Conte, he would constantly move into that RCM role in the build up and put in some really good crosses into the box.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I agree and I even like Azpil there.

When he was playing RCB under Conte, he would constantly move into that RCM role in the build up and put in some really good crosses into the box.
Yes, he wouldn’t be at sea there but not quite well as suited

Himannv

Dinho and Azpi are odd ones out for me in the setup - the rest of it I like.

EDIT: I'm assuming this is the younger version of Scholsey?

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Dinho and Azpi are odd ones out for me in the setup - the rest of it I like.

EDIT: I'm assuming this is the younger version of Scholsey?
Yes I’m disappointed I put dinho out there but couldn’t put him in the middle of that tree, we’ll see what second half brings

it’s the younger more energetic forward scholes

and I don’t think azp is too bad but kinda agree, I did want kimmich there

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
With plenty of ball playing players in the back and midfield, my team can just bypass your attack easily. Also Alaba and Asp are not DMs. Pep that prefered to use a FB cum DM at Bayern, wouldn't even use Alaba as DM.

It's just look like you're shoehorning players to look like 'christmas tree' Fm. Agreed with GSTQ, it is actually a disguised 4-3-3.

ALthough, hth, that's a nice picture though @Zlatan 7 :lol:

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think they may be shoe horned as they havn’t been played there in real life but they’re suited to the role and not just shoe horned anywhere

alaba can play there, it’s not necessarily a dm strict role, he’ll be there to also go wide both forwards and backwards when needed. Birlsa had used this variation and used wingers not DMs, so an attacking fullback would suit it well imo. Azp may not be as suited to this but I don’t think it’s a disaster, gentile and montero comfortable playing centre back or full back would be able to cover a flank and dungs is more than suited to drop into the centre.

scholes and de bruyne are perfect creative attacking mids, also not out and out attack but able to get back too.

dinho and Overmars played the wing, they’re not show horned there even though the roles theyd have to do here wouldn’t get the best out of them

shearer up front is not shoe horned in.

so out of those I’d say posssibly Azp you have a case with, so maybe not the best position for their skill set i’d accept, being shoe horned not so much

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Isotope - Overall a balanced setup. Would have preferred a more attacking RB than Djalma. Also pairing of two sweepers seems a bit sub-optimal. With attacking player like Vasovic, a more defensive partner might be a better fit.

Zlatan - Wonder which of Montero-Gentile would pick up the first red card? Dunga aside the rest of D is very underwhelming in player quality. They do fit the roles, but certainly upgradeable. Not sold on Ronaldinho's role there. Surely there are better players than a young Scholes there?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Isotope - Overall a balanced setup. Would have preferred a more attacking RB than Djalma. Also pairing of two sweepers seems a bit sub-optimal. With attacking player like Vasovic, a more defensive partner might be a better fit.

Zlatan - Wonder which of Montero-Gentile would pick up the first red card? Dunga aside the rest of D is very underwhelming in player quality. They do fit the roles, but certainly upgradeable. Not sold on Ronaldinho's role there. Surely there are better players than a young Scholes there?
i agree with you about quality but thought I’d try and get players I knew would suit instead of just getting better players I’m not so sure of and putting them in, before the nineties I’m struggling and need to research players

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
With plenty of ball playing players in the back and midfield, my team can just bypass your attack easily. Also Alaba and Asp are not DMs. Pep that prefered to use a FB cum DM at Bayern, wouldn't even use Alaba as DM.

It's just look like you're shoehorning players to look like 'christmas tree' Fm. Agreed with GSTQ, it is actually a disguised 4-3-3.

ALthough, hth, that's a nice picture though @Zlatan 7 :lol:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
When is half time? I and everyone else will be in bed if we wait 12 hours haha unless I wait till morning and make a nice Ole 60min sub

GodShaveTheQueen

Went with Isotope eventually as there is only 1 Christmas tree there.

Some feedback on the team -

1. The front 6 is absolutely spot on. Perfect mixture of everything.
2. The back 4 is messed up. Not a fan of Vasovic with Tresor.
3. Djalma has no place in this draft.
4. Vasovic and Stielike are very redundant too.

If you do win, I'd probably replace Djalma and Vasovic in the reinforcements and that team is good for the final.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Waiting for the fourth official to find his number board

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

If you do win, I'd probably replace Djalma and Vasovic in the reinforcements and that team is good for the final.
I was thinking that actually Stielike and Vasovic would work quite well as Stielike can drop into CB when Vasovic goes forward. That said I think Stielike as a pivot restricts his play as he really liked to dribble and get forward from deep.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Went with Iso's team. The front three is fabulous, one of the best so far for me. And the midfield looks spot on (although I only have a vague idea of Mackay as a player).

I did want kimmich there
I still haven't fully understood the inverted tree, but that seems like it would have been perfect.
Other key player is Djalma Santos, one of the best ‘balanced’ rightback of all time, who can be expected to dominate that right flank.
His reputation at least is rather different, could you describe the parts of his offensive game that you feel may be underrated?
That said I think Stielike as a pivot restricts his play as he really liked to dribble and get forward from deep.
Hm, I can see him doing just that from where he is in that team.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
as much as i wanted to reward zlatan for creativity iso's team is just too strong, specially cause the upside tree also has some issues(Dinho awful fit in that role), lack of a defence leader(sweeper) which is crucial for this system. Though he is switching to something else so after that i will feel much better!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Why Djalma Santos has no place in Christmas Tree? He's like a Brazilian right-back Maldini.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Why Djalma Santos has no place in Christmas Tree? He's like a Brazilian right-back Maldini.
This question of mine fits here. Since it I quoted you in the OP, it was Himann who got notified:
Other key player is Djalma Santos, one of the best ‘balanced’ rightback of all time, who can be expected to dominate that right flank.
His reputation at least is rather different, could you describe the parts of his offensive game that you feel may be underrated?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Went with Iso's team. The front three is fabulous, one of the best so far for me. And the midfield looks spot on (although I only have a vague idea of Mackay as a player).

Hm, I can see him doing just that from where he is in that team.
On Djalma Santos:

But Santos could be a thrilling attacker, too, capable of rampaging down his touchline on swashbuckling overlaps and joining in with flowing team moves, occasionally displaying flair with the ball worthy of the most artistic midfield general. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...tballer-who-won-world-cup-brazil-8782678.html

Impressive defender Djalma Santos appeared at four separate World Cup finals, winning the competition twice. Indeed, the stopper tasted glory in 1958 and also four years later. Like many Brazilians, Djalma Santos like to bomb forward with devastating effect. https://www.skysports.com/football/news/18621/6120873/brazils-greatest-defenders

Considered to be one of the best right-sides in football history, he has been the fan idol in every club he has played for. Gifted with great technique and a powerful physique, it was meaningfully defined a muralha by the Uruguayan writer Edoardo Galeano. He was one of the first full backs to play his role not only in a defensive key. He loved refined play and made dangerous dribbles even inside the area. https://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/djalma-santos_(Enciclopedia-dello-Sport)/

Defensively a wall, Djalma was known for his ability to mark and tackle well, physically dominating and also an aerial threat for the opponents. He would also often go up the right flank to produce pinpoint crosses and was the pioneer of the developed role of the right-backs today. He was the first right-back to venture up forward with overlapping runs. Djalma was gifted with excellent dribbling skills and ball control. It was impossible to take the ball off his feet. It was also quite problematic for his opponents as he was quite quick and also provided support to the midfield with his amazing creativity and had passing skills unmatched by any other defender till now. Also, Djalma was an excellent set-piece taker and could take long throw-ins. https://www.sports-nova.com/2019/10...r-who-revolutionized-the-right-back-position/

Included in FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1954, 1958, 1962. I think he should be more than just a good tackler.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
With Mendieta and Kopa there im fine with him, if he was on the side of Mackay then it would be a problem.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
On Djalma Santos:

But Santos could be a thrilling attacker, too, capable of rampaging down his touchline on swashbuckling overlaps and joining in with flowing team moves, occasionally displaying flair with the ball worthy of the most artistic midfield general. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...tballer-who-won-world-cup-brazil-8782678.html

Impressive defender Djalma Santos appeared at four separate World Cup finals, winning the competition twice. Indeed, the stopper tasted glory in 1958 and also four years later. Like many Brazilians, Djalma Santos like to bomb forward with devastating effect. https://www.skysports.com/football/news/18621/6120873/brazils-greatest-defenders

Considered to be one of the best right-sides in football history, he has been the fan idol in every club he has played for. Gifted with great technique and a powerful physique, it was meaningfully defined a muralha by the Uruguayan writer Edoardo Galeano. He was one of the first full backs to play his role not only in a defensive key. He loved refined play and made dangerous dribbles even inside the area. https://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/djalma-santos_(Enciclopedia-dello-Sport)/
Cheers. I think I'll make an all-touch comp or two of him to get a clearer picture.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I was thinking that actually Stielike and Vasovic would work quite well as Stielike can drop into CB when Vasovic goes forward. That said I think Stielike as a pivot restricts his play as he really liked to dribble and get forward from deep.
I see you get my vision with Stielike and Vasovic. I like players who can exchange positions, and still play at high level. Stielike's is really an excellent footballer. ALthough he's restricted to go forward, but his passing can still contribute to the attack.

This is the best video of him that I've seen around (against a more than decent Liverpool side in early '80s). I thought when watching this, well no wonder this guy won Best Foreign players in La Liga 4 years in a row. He's just majestic.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Maybe I misunderstood, but what I don't get: why shouldn't Stielike go forward here himself on occasion (covered by, say, the CBs and Mackay)?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
And the midfield looks spot on (although I only have a vague idea of Mackay as a player).
One of the Caf posters created this clip (I think). I was really impressed on what I saw on him, a typical modern defensive player. He's left-footed, played on the left-side of midfield, and could comfortably slot into/covering the left-back also. He's more than just a Mascherano type, his passing skill between the lines was pretty good:

He made a decent cross on 0:40 - 0:50 minute.

Also Gio made an impressive post about Mackay. Some of the Legends quote can't be displayed when quoting a post. So, here's the link to that post: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/il-fenomeno-draft-r1-moby-vs-gio.454611/post-25535517