Christmas Tree Draft - R1 - Raees vs BIG DUNK

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Himannv

Raees's Starting XI

vs

BIG DUNK's Starting XI

Raees's Tactics

Tactical Outline

Christmas tree with a twist in that my CM is a box to box game controlling regista type in Netzer supported by two box to box players with greater defensive capabilities. I just wanted to see some beautiful football.

The aim with the AM's was 2 players who can score goals, create but comfortable in wide and central areas, not to mention capable of playing alongside other creative players and I think we have achieved this with Kubala and Rivelino.

Striker was key, in an ideal world wanted Shevchenko but we have an all round CF who can roam across the line, looking for spaces and can do it all. Perfect CF for a Xmas tree.

Bayern's full backs will be perfect for this formation, balanced and can hold the width easily... Sagnol's crossing combined with Spencer's heading is a surefire route to goal.

The defence is a wonderfully balanced pairing of fire and ice backed by the magnificent massive hands and reactions of Jennings.

BIG DUNK's Tactics

We are a lethal counter-attacking team: built upon a solid back four, a midfield containing relentless energy, tenacity and playmaking, and an attack that boasts prolific goalscorers, creavity, high workrate and intelligent movement off-the-ball.

My front three are all-round attackers, possessing world-class positional awareness, tactical intelligence and technique. All are fabulous off-the-ball, demonstrating great awareness, positioning and ability to time their attacking runs. Their fluid movement will be key, both when receiving the ball from our midfielders and fullbacks, creating space for eachother, finding gaps in the opposition defence or creating goal-scoring chances for themselves. Kempes and Suárez will be encouraged to make more direct runs at the opposing defenders, while Müller will perform his Raumdeuter role. My triumvirate show consistency in scoring and creating goals across the attacking third. They can all attack from the outside, drop deep, drift wide or press from the front.

Kante and Vidal, two dynamic and tactically disciplined hard-working players, perform box-to-box duties: utilising their relentless energy, intelligence, excellent ball-winning abilities, they will run all day, winning back possession to assist their team-mates. Both possess strong positional sense, off-the-ball movement and an amazing ability to read the game. Efficient passers on the counter-attack, while also quick enough to run up the pitch making late attacking runs. Vidal adds more hard-tackling, aggression and tenacity to his defensive duties. Like Kante, Vidal is ultra effective in intercepting passes, winning back possession and starting attacks. These two soldiers are perfect complements alongside the architect, Andrea Pirlo, one of the greatest deep-lying playmakers of all time. Pirlo's vision, ball control, creativity and passing is all on show here. Pirlo will help to move the ball to all areas on the pitch, in order to penetrate and exploit spaces and set up his teammates in quick attacking transitions.

Camacho and Zambrotta are two complete fullbacks, but are undoubtedly two excellent defenders. Providing attacking support and width down their respective wings, Kante and Vidal will give them that security to move higher up the pitch. Each of my defenders in my back four rose to the occasion in some of the biggest games, taking on some of the toughest marking assignments. Both Puyol and Costacurta were tactically versatile, complete, hard-working and experienced defenders. Both loud and commanding, their tackling ability and expert positioning, combined with their dominance in the air make them a formidable centreback partnership. Van der Sar is my sweeper-keeper in goal, with the ability to launch counter-attacks from his own area with long balls.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Isn't that a paradox?

Not sure why that "twist" us even necessary here.
The twist is in that most DLP in this set up will remain quite deep and not venture forward - that is the role of side box to box midfielders.

With Netzer he can do some of the DLP stuff by picking it up deep but it’s not necessary as Lerby can do that too which frees up Netzer to roam forward too.

If any player fits the profile of paradox it is someone like Netzer who is very hard to define as a footballer.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Just brilliant from both as Joga says. The only thing about Raaes side is not the role of Netzer, but Coluna for me. As far as I know or from little that I've seen he acted more as an attacking 8, so in this scheme I would like to see a slightly 'defensive' box to box type who would also be more natural in covering for Netzer runs. He also preferred left side as far as I know, but that is not so relevant (and I could easily be wrong about that part). Lerby is just perfect for example.

However, and saying all that, the team makes up for that and more with its original approach (which is damn hard when you have your tactics already given to you and for which some of the previous teams were very harshly judged).

BD is more or less flawless as usual. FB's pairing aren't my favorite in terms of going forward though, but can certainly do decent job.

Damn hard to vote...

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Just brilliant from both as Joga says. The only thing about Raaes side is not the role of Netzer, but Coluna for me. As far as I know or from little that I've seen he acted more as an attacking 8, so in this scheme I would like to see a slightly 'defensive' box to box type who would also be more natural in covering for Netzer runs. He also preferred left side as far as I know, but that is not so relevant (and I could easily be wrong about that part). Lerby is just perfect for example.

However, and saying all that, the team makes up for that and more with its original approach (which is damn hard when you have your tactics already given to you and for which some of the previous teams were very harshly judged).

BD is more or less flawless as usual. FB's pairing aren't my favorite in terms of going forward though, but can certainly do decent job.

Damn hard to vote...
I shared similar concerns about Coluna before I picked him - what swayed me was watching this video.

It confirmed to me he was an animal both forwards and backwards. Yes a touch more offensive than defensive but a powerhouse who loved putting his body about with and without the ball.

Also shows him playing down the right as well.

Great side by BD - only flaw I would say is the centre back pairing. I think Spencer would have a great game against them.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
That has a draw written all over it. Cant find any negatives as well (apart from the excessive arrows in both graphics).

Excellent drafting both. Not voting on this.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I shared similar concerns about Coluna before I picked him - what swayed me was watching this video.

It confirmed to me he was an animal both forwards and backwards. Yes a touch more offensive than defensive but a powerhouse who loved putting his body about with and without the ball.
Aye, wouldn't mind him for example as part of midfield 2 in a 4-4-2 as I rate his defensive side a lot actually. It is just that his 1st instinct is always forward as you see in the clip too.

That left channel comment is from 1 game I saw him and Eusebio which is not enough and considering he loved to be involved all the time and all over the field probably meaningless.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I really like Raee's team. If BD's team wasn't so good, I'd vote for it in an instant.

I was hoping for Netzer to be bang in the middle. Perfect spot for him.

Only question for me was if him and Coluna would leave each other enough room in possession. But my guess is they may blend together well, as both knew when to pass to advance the play. And if they actually can support each other in each one's dynamicism, good Lord... Interested to see more opinions on that.

Pity that Gerets is out, but Sagnol is a good sub.

BD's team is designed very well too, more on the conservative side in comparison. The front three is marvelous in a counter-attacking setup.

But even if it's meant to be a counter-attacking team, it would imo profit from a secondary playmaker besides Pirlo in the back 7, preferably at CB. (If I don't underestimate Costacurta, that is.) Next best thing here are probably Vidal and Zambrotta. I don't think it's an outright weakness as it is, but there could be more options in case the opposition marks Pirlo closely in transition.