Christopher Nkunku to Chelsea | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashoutcassius

If we're paying more than the release clause, does this mean we can sign him in January? I see no reason to pay more than what the release clause is if we're going to wait until the summer anyway.
Because the selling club might sign off on the deal early. Otherwise you can pay the release when it is active and take the risk that other deals are done between now and then

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Because the selling club might sign off on the deal early. Otherwise you can pay the release when it is active and take the risk that other deals are done between now and then
Yep, that's it. As far as we know no other club have made their move for Nkunku so it seems like we currently have a free run at him. I have no idea what we've offered to him in personal terms but chances are if the club wait long enough for others to join the race we might well have to pay a bigger salary, a higher signing fee and/or agent fees to land his signature. Paying Leipzig a few million extra to avoid all that and close the deal ASAP could even save the club some money in the long run.

Not to mention if we miss out on the CL would he even still want to join next summer? Now if the plan is to close the deal for good in the next weeks he'll still join regardless of how the rest of the season goes.

If we were talking about a club like Bayern, Real Madrid etc. being in for him they could easily wait with this 'pre-agreement' till next summer and close the deal then at the fixed 60M€ price because they'd rightly be very confident the player's head won't be turned by another club but for us I think it makes more sense to see if a deal can be completed immediately, even if it costs a little more.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
To wrap the deal up early and not have to compete with several other elite clubs in the summer? It's obvious isn't it? Pretty sure Liverpool's deal for Naby Keita was a similar situation.
Fair enough chaps. Point noted.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I dont know. Sterling, Nkuku and Havertz - very similar players who isn't exactly a striker but would occupy the space around that area.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
He's been brilliant in the 1st half, all be it against a very weak defensively Celtic who are playing far to open.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I dont know. Sterling, Nkuku and Havertz - very similar players who isn't exactly a striker but would occupy the space around that area.
Yep seems another similar piece to what they already have.

Seems like there’s no clear and coherent plan at Chelsea
There are rumblings that Bayern are going to try to move for Havertz this summer - moving for Nkunku makes a lot of sense with that in mind.

GMoore23

Looks an exciting player.

Lightning quick, can finish and has good vision.

Can play LW, RW, 10, CF and would be an upgrade on what we have in almost all those positions.

Why weren't we in for him.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Yep seems another similar piece to what they already have.

Seems like there’s no clear and coherent plan at Chelsea
The plan seems obvious to me. The club really wants explosive, highly technical attackers who are versatile enough to move all across the attacking line and are in their early to mid twenties. Hence the red hot interest in both Nkunku and Rafa Leão.

pascell

Can play LW, RW, 10, CF and would be an upgrade on what we have in almost all those positions.

We ignored Rangnicks recommendation. This guy was my dream signing last summer and as usual, we don't have the foresight to make deals like this happen. I said it in here the other day €60m is going to be bargain.

Ekeke

There werent that many posters suggesting we sign him either lets be honest.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/christopher-nkunku.454263/

This and then the first pages of the current thread, some respect for having some ability but mostly people thinking we wouldnt fit him in

Rolaholic

I'm more curious why other big clubs weren't in for him.
He resigned over the summer and Chelsea agreed to a rare pre-contract deal for his release clause, likely made easier by the fact they're actively looking to bring on board front office members of RB. No one really got the chance.

Guaranteed he'd have drawn a lot of interest had he gone into next summer with that 60m clause in effect

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Was brilliant last night, he's a very good all round attacker, and Chelsea have got themselves a top player if he signs.
First signing of there's I'd be proper jealous of that they signed in recent years, I'd have loved him at Arsenal in that attacking 8 position that Xhaka currently plays.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I thought Bayern always wanted him in summer, maybe his club doesnt want to sell him to their rivals.
I'm pretty sure I read a few days ago that Nkunku's future release clause is in place for everyone except Bayern. Clearly Leipzig don't want to sell to them and the price tag for Bayern would be a lot more, something like +80M€ which they're never going to pay.

I feel Bayern might be in for Havertz next summer though. Unless he kicks on massively this season he'll probably be available at a cut price deal and it's just not working out for him at Chelsea so maybe a return to the Bundesliga would do him some good? Havertz leaving would also free up a place for Nkunku to come in so I doubt Chelsea would be against letting him go.

LoneStar

After our recent BL imports, I would probably try my luck in a different league. Especially for big money.

In fact, how many BL players have been successful for PL clubs at the top? Haaland looks to be more of an outlier than the norm.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
After our recent BL imports, I would probably try my luck in a different league. Especially for big money.

In fact, how many BL players have been successful for PL clubs at the top? Haaland looks to be more of an outlier than the norm.
No, this guy is top quality.

phelans shorts

The new Willian I suspect
Bit harsh, Willian was very effective for quite a long time.

But Ralf wanted this lad so he must be good with a top class manager like that twerking for him

BlackShark_80

In the last decade: Haaland, De Bruyne, Son, Firmino, Sane, Matip, Dzeko, Aubameyang, and Gundogan.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Bit harsh, Willian was very effective for quite a long time.
Absolutely. Willian's overall play was consistently very good and he played a big part in our last two league title wins in 2015 and 2017. Personally I always thought he lacked the end product to be really top class and placed somewhere in the bracket just below but even so he was still a very good player for Chelsea over multiple seasons. Assuming he signs I'd be reasonably happy if Nkunku was indeed 'the new Willian' for us.

That said, Willian was never a prolific scorer at any point in his career (105 goals in 665 club games) so I don't really see the comparison here with Nkunku. The latter really seems to have kicked on lately and scored 35 goals last season alone and has started this season really well too. While I wouldn't expect him to keep up putting in the same kind of numbers in the PL for Chelsea as he's done for Leipzig in the last year or so, I'd be very surprised if his goal contribution was 'only' at the level of Willian.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I’d rather have gotten him than Antony personally

LoneStar

In the last decade: Haaland, De Bruyne, Son, Firmino, Sane, Matip, Dzeko, Aubameyang, and Gundogan.
Fair enough mate. It looks like we have had the worst luck with BL recruits then. Kagawa, Mikhi, Schweinsteiger and now Sancho.

I suppose Chelsea haven't had the best luck either. Looks like City love their BL players on the other hand.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Fair enough mate. It looks like we have had the worst luck with BL recruits then. Kagawa, Mikhi, Schweinsteiger and now Sancho.

I suppose Chelsea haven't had the best luck either. Looks like City love their BL players on the other hand.
It is odd how some teams just have success with players from other leagues. Chelsea seem to do best when buying players from Ligue 1 - off the top of my head Drogba, Essien, Cech, Hazard, Azpilicueta, Mendy, Thiago Silva, and David Luiz (the second time) all came from French clubs.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Looked quality last night, think he’ll shine for Chelsea if he joins them. meanwhile we’re still waiting for sancho to show us why we signed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.