Christopher Nkunku to Chelsea | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Our attack is faltering and we've just let go of a striker, our other senior strikers fitness is as reliable as a chocolate fireguard, how was he not what we needed?
He’s not an out and out no9. That’s what we need. We need someone to lead the line, that’s not Nkunku. We need a Giroud not a Griezman.

KeanoMagicHat

He’s not an out and out no9. That’s what we need. We need someone to lead the line, that’s not Nkunku. We need a Giroud not a Griezman.
Chelsea haven’t had great luck with number 9s - Lukaku, Morata, Torres, Higuain, Falcao, Aubameyang etc. Nkunku should add more than Havertz while being able to link up with others.

Black Alabaster

Will be a top 3 player in the prem within 3 years.
Quote me
I really dont like Chelsea getting this signing unchallenged. Smart the way they have agreed the deal with Leipzig. I also have the feeling he will come very good for them he played last seasons as a midfielder and shown more recently he is even more effective further forward. Full package modern player.

Great fee too for the player. Has pace to back up the skills and young too. Congrats to Chelsea, annoying to see good players going to rivals though. Kinda wish we had squeezed rangnick for this guy when we had the chance.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Just hope during the talks we sweetened them up for gvardiol too. Be luvly jubbly that would
The World Cup hasn’t helped with his valuation. If they rejected a £70m bid in the summer (albeit close to deadline day) then his performances this World Cup will only have ballooned up what Leipzig will likely demand for him. Plus probably a lot more suitors too.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
The World Cup hasn’t helped with his valuation. If they rejected a £70m bid in the summer (albeit close to deadline day) then his performances this World Cup will only have ballooned up what Leipzig will likely demand for him. Plus probably a lot more suitors too.
Yes thats my worry. But i think our new ownership would pay silly money, given his age there'd be years of service out of him. You'd get your moneys worth. Nkunku certainly a good start to the summer.

I was convinced Rice would also come in summer 2023, not so sure now. I think we're the move he wants, but Potter may prefer an old Brighton colleague...

3KDré

Not sure why Chelsea have signed him at all. Doesn't he play in a similar role to Havertz? If not, then off the left where Sterling plays.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not sure why Chelsea have signed him at all. Doesn't he play in a similar role to Havertz? If not, then off the left where Sterling plays.
He joins a long list of positionally ambiguous attackers at Chelsea. They love it there

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Great signing by Chelsea. Kinda surprised even that they managed to sign him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yes thats my worry. But i think our new ownership would pay silly money, given his age there'd be years of service out of him. You'd get your moneys worth. Nkunku certainly a good start to the summer.

I was convinced Rice would also come in summer 2023, not so sure now. I think we're the move he wants, but Potter may prefer an old Brighton colleague...
I’m so tempted by Gvardiol but I can’t shake the feeling that Colwil is basically Gvardiol with far less experience. Look at the leaps in development Chalobah has made just by being played regularly. His price might be too steep for me to endorse but you’re right, these owners might not see that as an obstacle.

Not to derail the thread though. Nkunku is an exciting signing. Fantastic player.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Great signing by Chelsea. Kinda surprised even that they managed to sign him.
Think there’s going to be a few more big signings to come. Everyone questioned the summer window but that was clearly just a patch up the squad job. Now Boehly has people around him with connections we will make some serious moves.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I’m curious about his wages. I have to assume Chelsea needed to be pretty aggressive there in order to get him to give up the chance of receiving offers from other clubs next summer.

I think this probably spells the end for Havertz. I can’t see him and Nkunku in the same team.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Havertz has been such a underwhelming signing for Chelsea, outside of that ok-ish CL run.

Nkunku ,unfortunately, will not be. I think he'll be a relative success.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I’m curious about his wages. I have to assume Chelsea needed to be pretty aggressive there in order to get him to give up the chance of receiving offers from other clubs next summer.

I think this probably spells the end for Havertz. I can’t see him and Nkunku in the same team.
He must be one of the best played players in our team.We gave werner,lukaku more than 250k 350k respectively so wont be less than werner minimum.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Remains to be seen imo. New owner seems incompetent and the competition is tougher than ever. Also Potter could end up being a disaster.
Most of the horrible situations we find ourselves involved in came about due to decisions to ignore looming contract issues and address needed issues under the previous regime.

They have had to do an incredible amount of work in a very short time because Roman didn’t have any of the structures modern clubs use already in place. Vivell and company just finally joined a few weeks ago.

They have a structured plan that goes all the way out to 2030, Stadium upgrades, satellite teams and everything else included.

and they already have a reputation in the sports world for being excellent owners. Not just excellent owners; patient, excellent owners.

it’s premature to pass judgement them, and super premature to pass judgement on Potter.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
On the Nkunku front … I would actually love to see him and Omari playing together… might be two of the most rapid ball carriers around. They can both absolutely fly, even in possession.

Interestingly, that could actually unlock Havertz. Kai is good at through balls to rapid players, and cleverly running into the spaces left by teams reacting to rapid players.

When we tried playing him at false 9 we had guys like Mount playing in the front 3….

Think of all the sitters Werner missed. I was watching highlight clips, and one of them was Werner doing his best to kill the goalkeeper with the ball… and Nkunku hitting a beautiful chipped goal on the rebound. The symbolism.

Righteous Steps

On the Nkunku front … I would actually love to see him and Omari playing together… might be two of the most rapid ball carriers around. They can both absolutely fly, even in possession.

Interestingly, that could actually unlock Havertz. Kai is good at through balls to rapid players, and cleverly running into the spaces left by teams reacting to rapid players.

When we tried playing him at false 9 we had guys like Mount playing in the front 3….

Think of all the sitters Werner missed. I was watching highlight clips, and one of them was Werner doing his best to kill the goalkeeper with the ball… and Nkunku hitting a beautiful chipped goal on the rebound. The symbolism.
Yeah having players who can run beyond Havertz may be the key to getting the best out of him, he still has a lot of talent and at 6ft has the height to play the false 9 role as well as the touch, intelligence etc.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I’m so tempted by Gvardiol but I can’t shake the feeling that Colwil is basically Gvardiol with far less experience. Look at the leaps in development Chalobah has made just by being played regularly. His price might be too steep for me to endorse but you’re right, these owners might not see that as an obstacle.

Not to derail the thread though. Nkunku is an exciting signing. Fantastic player.
I think we need both. As highly as I rate Colwill, Gvardiol is a genuinely unique talent.

But we will absolutely use 3 to 4 CBs throughout a year, especially with that new “club World Cup” format opening up in 2025. Ridiculous number of matches per year.

I pictured it as Gvardiol/Colwill on one side and Fofana/Chalobah on the other. Two left footed, two right.

jesperjaap

Bad signing for both the club and player. Isnt really a striker, plethora of attacking midfielders already there. They need a quality striker Lukaku and Wrner flops were no surprise to me, Werner was so overhyped on here. I thought Havertz woudl be really good but despite really important games he hasnt lived up to the billing either.

I think Nkunku is a really good player but not the world star he is made out to be....but that isnt the reason that I predict.....he will flop at Chelsea.

Never like dthe club and the money they just throw at really good players often that are not what they need is staggering

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I think Nkunku is a really good player but not the world star he is made out to be....but that isnt the reason that I predict.....he will flop at Chelsea.
Who exactly is making him out to be a world star? Doesn't pretty much everyone agree that, like you said, he's just a 'really good player' but well below the proper elite ones?

Also I'd point out a 60-70M€ fee doesn't get you a world star these days, at least not one aged 25 or less and on a multi-year contract.

As a Chelsea fan I'd say he's definitely an exciting signing but nowhere near a sure bet.

Of course, but wouldn't think they can offer guaranteed Champions League football next season, something Nkunku surely could've landed (and probably wanted) easily
I wonder how many times players need to prove this isn’t a thing before fans stop pretending it is.

If you want to play in the best league, which currently is the Premier League, there’s currently only one option that guarantees you CL football every season.
Time and time again players sign for the other clubs where CL participation is not at all certain.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I wonder how many times players need to prove this isn’t a thing before fans stop pretending it is.

If you want to play in the best league, which currently is the Premier League, there’s currently only one option that guarantees you CL football every season.
Time and time again players sign for the other clubs where CL participation is not at all certain.
While all of that is true, was there any necessity for Nkunku to sign so early? He could have easily waited to see which PL option offered Champions League

While all of that is true, was there any necessity for Nkunku to sign so early? He could have easily waited to see which PL option offered Champions League
Why? For one season of CL football?

That’s the whole point, having guaranteed CL football for a season means next to nothing. Hell, that CL football might be the group stages and then nothing for 3 years.
It’s just not a thing to base huge career decisions on, and has been proven to be the case time & time again.

Yet fans still spout it as though it’s a thing.

Money, manager, project, these things are clearly more important and has been proven to be the case since the arabs took over Citeh.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Why? For one season of CL football?

That’s the whole point, having guaranteed CL football for a season means next to nothing. Hell, that CL football might be the group stages and then nothing for 3 years.
It’s just not a thing to base huge career decisions on, and has been proven to be the case time & time again.

Yet fans still spout it as though it’s a thing.

Money, manager, project, these things are clearly more important and has been proven to be the case since the arabs took over Citeh.
Things Chelsea absolutely provide without any uncertainty

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Hence why “money” comes first, always. Mbappe your best evidence of this.
Top club, shit loads of money… count me in.
I don't even disagree with you, I just don't see need for such a hurry from both sides. Both are taking a biggish risk in signing stuff so early. While Chelsea may feel the need to take this risk to beat competitors to his signature, I don't see it from Nkunku's side

I don't even disagree with you, I just don't see need for such a hurry from both sides. Both are taking a biggish risk in signing stuff so early. While Chelsea may feel the need to take this risk to beat competitors to his signature, I don't see it from Nkunku's side
He could get injured, and his agent has likely sounded out many other clubs who aren’t willing to meet Chelsea’s offer.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Looks like he put in a motm performance in the German cup with a goal and an assist. He is flying under the radar, but he could be one to watch out for for next season.

Madueke - Nkunku - Sterling
-------------------- ????-----------

Lead the Bundesliga with the most goals as well. I don't watch most of his game, so I don't know how well he will do in the league. Frankfurt striker Kolo Muaini also looked good, wouldn't mind him here at United.

Status
Not open for further replies.