Christopher Nkunku to Chelsea | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
There is a reason why every top side in the PL has at least one left footer they can play on the RW or the right half space if they are using the fullback or wingback for width. Against the organized defenses of the PL you need at least the option of a RW player who can cut in and create on their strong foot as well as to be able to drift into the middle and be there to hit cutbacks from the other wing first time. Nkunku is capable of playing on the right the same way Sancho was capable of doing it in the Bundesliga. With lots of space and less defensive organization the footedness matters less. But just like Sancho is better on the left than the right in the PL, the same is likely to be true of Nkunku.

City - Mahrez, Bernardo
Chelsea - Ziyech, Havertz
Liverpool - Salah
Arsenal - Saka, Pepe
Spurs - Just loaned/bought Kulusevski
West Ham - Bowen
United - Greenwood???

If United want another winger they really need a left footer, unless Greenwood comes back into the picture or Diallo seems ready for primetime (in which case you don't need another winger really).

OmarUnited4ever

Can he be as good as Mane or B.Silva?

One thing I like about Mane & Silva is their ability to play in more than 1 position, so maybe Nkunku can be that kind of player for us if we get him.

Oranges038

Sancho and Elanga can both cross fine, even Rashford can if he ever looked up, that's a lack if discipline issue, nothing more, this group of players need a manager to get a grip on them.

Nkunku has played on the right and can follow instructions, I don't see an issue once the team is properly in sync, right now we are just getting by but next season I expect us to start playing as more of a unit. You can't play Bruno and Nkunku in front a DM, you need one proper #8, but Bruno has to stop being an automatic starter, the fact Nkunku can cover 2 positions at a high level in a summer where we also need 3 more starters makes him a good choice imo.
Perhaps, he might be a good fit. I have my doubts about him as being good enough as a winger.

I'll have to watch a bit more of him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
There is a reason why every top side in the PL has at least one left footer they can play on the RW or the right half space if they are using the fullback or wingback for width. Against the organized defenses of the PL you need at least the option of a RW player who can cut in and create on their strong foot as well as to be able to drift into the middle and be there to hit cutbacks from the other wing first time. Nkunku is capable of playing on the right the same way Sancho was capable of doing it in the Bundesliga. With lots of space and less defensive organization the footedness matters less. But just like Sancho is better on the left than the right in the PL, the same is likely to be true of Nkunku.

City - Mahrez, Bernardo
Liverpool - Salah
Arsenal - Saka, Pepe
West Ham - Bowen
United - Greenwood???

If United want another winger they really need a left footer, unless Greenwood comes back into the picture or Diallo seems ready for primetime (in which case you don't need another winger really).
I think Nkunku as a player type is much more suited to playing on the right than Sancho. Sancho really only worked that well because of Hakimi. He still played like an inverted winger, only dribbling and passing with the wrong foot. Worked out but you could see it always limited him.

Nkunku is a different kind of footballer. He's not really a playmaker like Sancho but a versatile player. He doesn't need to have the ball in his feet as much as Sancho. Maybe more comparable to someone like Thomas Müller who also played on the right early in his career. That being said, I still think you'd be better off signing a left footed player.

Moreover, this has nothing to do with the EPL. People who watch Bundesliga always explained that Sancho is better on the left. I find it comical that even that is now feeding the EPL superiority complex :lol:

Utd7

Still can’t believe PSG allowed him to leave. He was class when I watched him in Paris. Would be a terrific signing.

RikRuud

hypothetically, where would he play in the team? assuming he wouldn't get in at number 10 ahead of Bruno? seems to play most of the games as CAM/CF?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
hypothetically, where would he play in the team? assuming he wouldn't get in at number 10 ahead of Bruno? seems to play most of the games as CAM/CF?
I'd guess he'd just be part of the rotation for either wing position or #10... We currently only really have Sancho, Bruno and Rashford that are first team level, and Rashford is way off form. We need depth/competition desperately now, so Nkunku would be that for all 3 positions.

NoPace

My guess is we'd play Sancho and Nkunku out wide He does seem to be better a bit more centrally, though before he started scoring all these goals he had a ton of assists. I could see Chelsea buying him and playing him basically up top with Lukaku ahead of Mount.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I’m sure he has a 40million release clause this summer. Will be a fantastic pickup for whoever gets him. Would love him here but we don’t have any room for him unless we lose Mane or Firmino.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's a great young player. Would make a decent Mata replacement to fill in the rotation.

Quick, very energetic and scores/assists plenty. What's not to like?

Personally though I think we should be looking at Moussa Diaby for the RW inside forward role.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
With Martial most likely leaving bringing Nkunku in would make sense as he can play as an attacking midfielder, a 10 or from the left and with Rashford struggling for form I’d be happy with Nkunku on the left and Sancho playing on the right as he was brought in to do.

If (a massive IF) Greenwood comes back then having Sancho, Greenwood, Rashford, Nkunku, Diallo and Elanga as wide options is a great balance. We’d still need a striker as I can see both Ronaldo and Cavani leaving in the summer, I like the look of Adeyemi and Nunez.
We’d be negligent to not plan for life without greenwood.

Bondi77

Great player but operates best playing as an attacking midfielder or second striker, most effectively when shaded to the left so he can cut in on his right foot. That's also the general area of the pitch where Sancho, Rashford, and Elanga are most effective.

IMO, United need a real #9 to lead the line and also maybe a left-footed RW player if Greenwood isn't coming back, and he isn't either one. I could see him being a lone CF only in a Guardiola type setup.
Jarod Bowen would be a good one to move for if Mason has his contract terminated.

NoPace

Jarod Bowen would be a good one to move for if Mason has his contract terminated.
West Ham going for Raphinha and Liverpool (linked with Bowen for a long time) buying Diaz and Mason ruining his career makes me think this is plausible.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Rangnick wanted him in January along with Kamara, but was denied.
I think it would have been tough to get him in January, but it's a good thing looking at these players now. Means we will have a good chance of getting them if the next manager likes them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rangnick wanted him in January along with Kamara, but was denied.
Are you sure mate? I can't remember seeing reports of Rangnick wanting Kamara and Nkunku in January. I did see reports of Rangnick possibly wanting Haidara who is a high energy #8, similar to Fred. But I doubt Leipzig would've sold Nkunku in January, and there were reports emanating from France about Kamara wanting to run his contract down and maximise his earning potential as a free agent.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nkunku could potentially be very useful to a coach like Erik ten Hag due to his ability to operate in multiple areas of the pitch. ETH could definitely use him similar to how he's used Tadic.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Why's he kept being called a Pogba replacement, am I missing something ?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He doesn't impress me when I watched RB Leipzig last season and 2 seasons ago, may be this season he takes to another level?

However, everytime I watched RB Leipzig, this guy always popped out with an assist from set pieces including corners. Ironically, we also kinda need someone who's very good of taking corner because we don't have someone good.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's a great young player. Would make a decent Mata replacement to fill in the rotation.

Quick, very energetic and scores/assists plenty. What's not to like?

Personally though I think we should be looking at Moussa Diaby for the RW inside forward role.
Could become the new Mkhitaryan.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Could become the new Mkhitaryan.
Mkhi had everything apart from a strong mental. Unfortunately we probably failed on the scouting side there.

Why Mourinho wanted him i'll never know.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
He doesn't impress me when I watched RB Leipzig last season and 2 seasons ago, may be this season he takes to another level?

However, everytime I watched RB Leipzig, this guy always popped out with an assist from set pieces including corners. Ironically, we also kinda need someone who's very good of taking corner because we don't have someone good.
Couple years ago, a guy called footballAtlantis on youtube did a video on him as one of the top creative AMs united can sign. Since them I sort of took interest in him and started looking out for him whenever I watch RB Leipzig play. Have to say, he didn't impress me in the games that I watched. Didn't strike me as a natural dribbler and was very one footed. Now this was a couple years ago, so he's probably improved since but I remember thinking he's going to be a Lingard type in England. Maybe I'm wrong though.

United in sin

Looks a great player, very adaptable but I will say having watched that video of all his goals/ assists this season, the majority of goals are where he's been played through 1 on 1 with the keeper and ran past the last defender. With so many teams defending deep in the premiership I don't see him suiting our style at all, he reminds me of an in form Rashford to be honest.
Is an in-form Rashford not suited to united's 'style'?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

City - Mahrez, Bernardo
Liverpool - Salah
Arsenal - Saka, Pepe
West Ham - Bowen
United - Greenwood???

Ajax’s Antony might be the man for us. Fits the profile perfectly. Even if Amad comes back well, it’s not enough. We have 3 wingers and all 3 are right footed left wingers.

Ekeke

Brilliant player

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/christopher-nkunku.454263/

If we are going to buy a ready-made first team starting winger/attacker (and not a straight forward striker) then it has to be between Nkunku and Raphinha in my opinion. He's not far off Sancho 19/20 and just as good as Sancho last season, of course he's several years older.

We may very well not buy one and look for Rashford, Amad and Elanga to push on. But he's a better player than Rashford has been so far.

Bestietom

I think it would have been tough to get him in January, but it's a good thing looking at these players now. Means we will have a good chance of getting them if the next manager likes them.
For 10 million he was worth it... If he didn't work out he could have been sold on.
Think the board are wanting Rice but he won't be coming here for the money they want.

Bestietom

Are you sure mate? I can't remember seeing reports of Rangnick wanting Kamara and Nkunku in January. I did see reports of Rangnick possibly wanting Haidara who is a high energy #8, similar to Fred. But I doubt Leipzig would've sold Nkunku in January, and there were reports emanating from France about Kamara wanting to run his contract down and maximise his earning potential as a free agent.
You could be right mate, but there was a report just after deadline day, that we were offered Kamara for 10million on deadline day..
Nkunku was mentioned in another report that he was available for 35million. Now I cannot say how true these reports were.

croadyman

You could be right mate, but there was a report just after deadline day, that we were offered Kamara for 10million on deadline day..
Nkunku was mentioned in another report that he was available for 35million. Now I cannot say how true these reports were.
Why we didn't take Kamara in January for such a low figure still utterly bewilders me

SAF is the GOAT

This guy through the middle and a right winger and our attack is looking stacked. Think he’d probably take a long time to settle in though.
We have more urgent positions that him - DM, ST, RB, CM(If Pogba will leave)

Status
Not open for further replies.